IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

On 1/19/2021 at 11:29 AM, AZ Craig said:

I have two L1 servers and they work great.  I really like not having to deal with NAS software as the L1 it is just load-and-go.  First thing I did was replace the spinning disk hard drive with a SSD.  Works like a champ and I don't have to worry about the day when the spinning disk goes clunk in the night.

I'm using a few of these (L1's) also, one 2 TB and 5TB no issues to date. knocking on wood.

The Truth Is Out There

9 hours ago, Ropet said:

I have hard to understand how the industri went into to this MQA trap.

I can tell you why Lumin supports it.  Ignore the three character format name for now.  The problem is simply that whatever codec format Tidal or Qobuz decides to use, we have to try our best to support it.  Otherwise Tidal or Qobuz users wishing to buy a Tidal player or Qobuz player will not buy our products (hypothetically) if we could not fully decode all the formats they use, as that will be a huge waste of the subscription costs.

It's like when you rented DVD-A and SACD discs, you want your player to be universal and be able to play them.  (Now someone will say they will not rent DVD-A in the first place.  Anyway, I hope I explained our position.)

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

9 hours ago, wklie said:

The problem is simply that whatever codec format Tidal or Qobuz decides to use, we have to try our best to support it.

This I understand and I fully agree on this. I'm more thinking of the music companies. As they have joined the MQA format, hardware industry have to join or be out of business. The riaa standard started with some competing compensation curves. Thankfully they sat down and agree on one standard which, in my view, have served both music lovers and industry well since the fifties rather than having competing standards. I guess this DVD-A/SACD war could end different if they gathered around one new high res audio standard. Then followed a dsd/pcm war and it seems pcm is the winner. And now MQA put in a new standard to make the market more fragmented and add new license cost. Who's next?

New owner of Lumin U1 mini having problems with android app crashing whenever I try to manipulate playlist (such as move track to begin/end of playlist). I am able to play songs if I never touch the playlist. I am using LG v30 android 8.0.0 phone and streaming Tidal. I have tried IOS app on my wife's iPad and it works fine but I don't want to have to buy an iPad to get this to work. I have tried unplugging everything, rebooting, and reinstalling Lumin app. I have read other posts about using non-Lumin apps but am a bit overwhelmed by that and would really like to get the Lumin app to work if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks

1 hour ago, chungjh said:

What is causing this?

... something on the network?

btw... no point rebooting the iPad: it's just a remote, everything happens on the Lumin itself 😉

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

6 minutes ago, chungjh said:

Nothing seems to be wrong with my wifi as far as I can tell.

Can you try ethernet instead of wireless?  What sort of device is the music being stored on?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

10 hours ago, chungjh said:

My Lumin X1 often stops in the middle of a track and skips to the next track. I have rebooted my iPAD, but this problems is persistent. What is causing this?

If you're playing local files (i.e. not Tidal Qobuz Spotify AirPlay), this is abnormal.  If this repeats for the same track, your file may be corrupted.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 hours ago, roadCingKlassik said:

I’m listening to a song playlist using U1 mini. I want to start a new playlist. How do I create new playlist?

Please trash the current playlist in the bottom left corner.

Then add new tracks.

If necessary you can use the playlist save/load function to save to the iPad, or export to Tidal / Qobuz as favorites.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi Peter - @wklie - Just got 'my' evaluation U1Mini.. Liking things so far.. QQ - one feature that is REALLY nice from Spotify Connect is that the app has a persistence in the lock screen (simple track skip and volume) on iOS.. Is this something you considered? Especially for the iPhone as it makes for such an easy interaction for a track skip or volume change etc?? Best, Simon

16 hours ago, chungjh said:

My Lumin X1 often stops in the middle of a track and skips to the next track.

This has happen with my U1 Mini as well, but only if I stop with the the upper right corner play arrow (left to the counter) to leave the room doing something else. When I’m back pressing the same button again to continue the playing it sometimes jump to next tune after 15-20 seconds but only ones. The coming tracks are ok. I guess this has something to do with buffering when making hold like this. No big issue.

If I stop clearing the play list before playing the same album it does not happen or if I restart the tune pressing the tune in the play list. Then it restart the tune from the beginning.

1 hour ago, m5sime said:

Hi Peter - @wklie - Just got 'my' evaluation U1Mini.. Liking things so far.. QQ - one feature that is REALLY nice from Spotify Connect is that the app has a persistence in the lock screen (simple track skip and volume) on iOS.. Is this something you considered? Especially for the iPhone as it makes for such an easy interaction for a track skip or volume change etc?? Best, Simon

Spotify app is great.

As for the lockscreen control feature, that's not appropriate for us.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

53 minutes ago, wklie said:

Spotify app is great.

As for the lockscreen control feature, that's not appropriate for us.

Hi Peter, sorry to push a little.. but why not 'appropriate'? Does your customer base almost exclusively use an iPad/PC/Mac?

19 hours ago, chungjh said:

My Lumin X1 often stops in the middle of a track and skips to the next track. I have rebooted my iPAD, but this problems is persistent. What is causing this?

@chungjhDoes it only happen if the Lumin is paused for a while?  Happens in my case with the Lumin UI Mini. Something to do with buffer I’m guessing. In my case I don’t consider it a problem. 

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

2 hours ago, Ropet said:

This has happen with my U1 Mini as well, but only if I stop with the the upper right corner play arrow (left to the counter) to leave the room doing something else. When I’m back pressing the same button again to continue the playing it sometimes jump to next tune after 15-20 seconds but only ones. The coming tracks are ok. I guess this has something to do with buffering when making hold like this. No big issue.

If I stop clearing the play list before playing the same album it does not happen or if I restart the tune pressing the tune in the play list. Then it restart the tune from the beginning.

@RopetI replied similarly before seeing your response. Exactly the same here. As you say not an issue. 

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

On 2/1/2021 at 7:34 PM, wahoospiff said:

New owner of Lumin U1 mini having problems with android app crashing whenever I try to manipulate playlist (such as move track to begin/end of playlist). I am able to play songs if I never touch the playlist. I am using LG v30 android 8.0.0 phone and streaming Tidal. I have tried IOS app on my wife's iPad and it works fine but I don't want to have to buy an iPad to get this to work. I have tried unplugging everything, rebooting, and reinstalling Lumin app. I have read other posts about using non-Lumin apps but am a bit overwhelmed by that and would really like to get the Lumin app to work if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks

I am experiencing also a variety of issues with the Android app (e.g., cover art is shown different album than what is playing, app crashes, etc). It is almost unusable. Works perfectly on the iPad (which I have to share with the rest of family members!). A bit disappointing as a strong deciding factor for changing from another highly reputable streamer/player to Lumin was precisely the native support for both iOS and Android. Using 3rd party apps in Android to control the Lumin kind of defeats a significant part of Lumin's value / user experience...

@Home: Flac\'s - Squeezebox Touch - Musical Fidelity M1 DAC - Creek Destiny - Proac Response D15[br]@Work: Flac\'s - JRiver Media Center - USB to Nuforce Icon HDP - Shure SRH940

blame it on Android, not Lumin!

why that "other highly reputable streamer/player" doesn't have an Android version: just for its developers laziness or because after trying for years they couldn't make it stable enough?

at least Lumin (which, btw, recommends iOS for the very same reasons) gives you a *somehow* "working" app ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Hi @wklie - please suggest if there is a better forum for providing feedback? I have noted something a little buggy re MQA.. The U1 Mini - I am testing the sound between USB and AES out into my Mytek Brooklyn DAC (MQA compliant).. On changing tracks via USB the MQA lock is quick and the 'blue dot' of MQA full onfold is quick and solid.. Via AES the lock is slower and intermittent for the first 10-20 secs.. The blue dot comes and goes and soft audible pops are heard.. Might this be a bug? AES over USB sounds (to me) just a little better - teeny bit more natural. No cable playing here - very basic test cables for now.

SW v 13.4a

Cheers

Simon

If you are referring to the MQA indication on your DAC, then this is a DAC side behaviour, not a Lumin bug.

You may, however, experiment with Lumin MQA mode set to Digital vs Passthrough.  See which mode your DAC prefers.

Please disconnect USB before you listen to AES.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead