IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

15 minutes ago, wklie said:

If you are referring to the MQA indication on your DAC, then this is a DAC side behaviour, not a Lumin bug.

You may, however, experiment with Lumin MQA mode set to Digital vs Passthrough.  See which mode your DAC prefers.

Please disconnect USB before you listen to AES.

Thanks for the reply..I did some tests and the 'bug' is with the Lumin, relating to having both USB and AES connected.. Following your request I have removed the USB and MQA via AES works (as it did using USB) - no issues... Is there a performance/stability reason of the U1 Mini for not having both USB and AES connected at the same time to the DAC and being able to switch? I note that on removing the USB connection the U1 Mini no longer understands what DAC is connected (which makes sense of course). Is there a product development preference on the interface? ie more focus/testing with USB? Again - thank you for such a quick response. The U1 Mini is a very nice product

This is not a bug.  This is by design.  USB audio output to your DAC is asynchronous.  USB takes precedence.  AES and other synchronous outputs cannot possibly have the correct timing when asynchronous USB is active.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

29 minutes ago, wklie said:

This is not a bug.  This is by design.  USB audio output to your DAC is asynchronous.  USB takes precedence.  AES and other synchronous outputs cannot possibly have the correct timing when asynchronous USB is active.

Many thanks.. Makes perfect sense. Also why I put my last mention of 'bug' in quotes as it sounded intentional/related. 

22 hours ago, bfmcosta said:

I am experiencing also a variety of issues with the Android app (e.g., cover art is shown different album than what is playing, app crashes, etc). It is almost unusable.

It is relief to read. From time to time I thought I was the one who could not handle the technique. I have a Samsung Galaxy, a Sony Experia mobile and my wife a Samsung mobile. They are not "almost" unusable, they are not usable at all with crashes like you describe. My mobile even worse. It is locking all other mobile functions from time to time and I have to restart. 

I had two options. Bye another streamer that is fit for Android or by an iPad as server remote. In my view the Lumïn U1 Mini is the big star so I bought an iPad. It works flawless and much cheaper and effective than to scroll around for another streamer. Besides it seems that iPad is the optimum choice for other well respected servers as well that are equiped with different option.

I can't judge if it is harder to develop similar stability with Android than with iPad but it seems so. JRiver was ok but then it was only a tool to play. All others you have to do on your laptop. Lumïn recommends iOS. It should be even more clear to write out "we do not recommend Android as their techinique is not optimum for Lumïn". That can avoid disappointments.

4 hours ago, Ropet said:

Lumïn recommends iOS. It should be even more clear to write out "we do not recommend Android as their techinique is not optimum for Lumïn". That can avoid disappointments.

Better yet, include a free iOS device in the box sort of like a wireless remote.  When I bought my first Lumin, an A1, my dealer gave me a free brand new iPad 2 to make sure I could use the Lumin in the first place.  Could "bespoke" remotes really cost that much to produce or is it all about Apple wanting their piece of the pie?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

In the "Music Library" section of the Lumin app for iOS, how does one go about deleting the entries that are no longer valid or, indeed, no longer wanted?  I can't seem to figure it out if it is even a possibility.

Thanks much!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

23 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

In the "Music Library" section of the Lumin app for iOS, how does one go about deleting the entries that are no longer valid or, indeed, no longer wanted?  I can't seem to figure it out if it is even a possibility.

Thanks much!

What do you mean by "Music Library"?568544651_ScreenShot2021-02-16at10_09_30AM.thumb.jpg.6c65b090252950d648d4483c0a9528bd.jpg

If you mean the "Browse" section, updating  Minimserver should eliminate deleted/changed items.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

1 minute ago, rodrigaj said:

What do you mean by "Music Library"?568544651_ScreenShot2021-02-16at10_09_30AM.thumb.jpg.6c65b090252950d648d4483c0a9528bd.jpg

If you mean the "Browse" section, updating  Minimserver should eliminate deleted/changed items.

No, I think he means when you go to Settings > Music Library and click to choose a Music Library.
I'm not sure it's possible, but Peter will know.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

28 minutes ago, thingswelike said:

No, I think he means when you go to Settings > Music Library and click to choose a Music Library.
I'm not sure it's possible, but Peter will know.

Thanks to "rodrigaj" and "thingswelike".  Yes, I should have been more specific.  I have to ton of entries in there that are no longer valid for whatever reason.  Some of these are MinimServer, others are JRiver MC servers, others are end points or renderers (whatever the correct terminology is), and a couple are simply "blank" entries.

1 hour ago, wklie said:

When the library is offline (i.e. no longer present), you can select it then there is an option to remove it (only if it's offline).

Thanks Peter.  That seems to work for those libraries that are really off line and gone for good.  I have a further issue with the app locating all things on a given network including blu-ray players, AC receivers, wireless speaker systems, etc. that fill up the list of potentially available libraries.  Selecting any of these "libraries" or a computer that happens to be turned on leaves the Lumin app in a funny state that sometimes requires a reboot of the phone to restore normal operation.  I am assuming there's no way to limit the Lumin app's "appetite" to find everything on the network is there?

No biggie.  I'll just learn to live with it. 

Hi wklie,

I have communicate this idea to you several years ago and hope that you will look at it again.

The Lumin display had not change since the introduction of A1.  Nothing  wrong with it but from the standpoint of usability, the bit and sample rate is a little too small to be read from the realistic listening position.  (See First Picture below)

I am suggest that you provide an alternative display mode.  One that uses the entire display to show the bit and sample rate as shown below (Second picture).  This improve the usability and show an parameter that is important especially when you want to compare different formats of the same song.  No point showing me the song title again...what is important is what bit and sample rate is the Lumin delivering.   If switching between display mode is difficult and confusing, I suggest the displaying the new song title for initial 3 seconds and then the alternate mode for 5 second whenever a new song is played.  

Help!!  I cannot keep walking to the lumin display to know what bit and sample rate every time I play a song.

Thanks for the consideration.

(Audio)

lumindisplay.jpg

luminnewdisplay.JPG

27 minutes ago, Audio said:

I suggest the displaying the new song title for initial 3 seconds

don't think what you hope will happen but just in case... I suggest, instead, showing bit/sample rate for the first 3-5 seconds then go back to track info 😛

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Software-selectable alternatives are always nice things to have as long as the current display mode is not disrupted because I like it and I like the color although it is a known fact that "blue" light may be harder to see for some due to the fact that blue light can be more difficult to focus.

The reality for me is that I don't use the display much at all keeping it off most of the time and rely on the Lumin app or JRemote to let me know what the player is doing.

I have been known to dig out a pair of binoculars from time to time to make sure however 😉

I've never seen where the Lumin App and the display show different bit rates. @wklie can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see how that is possible. I am not a MQA user, so maybe that is what @Audio is referring to.

Edit: I leave the display off, FWIW

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

don't think what you hope will happen but just in case... I suggest, instead, showing bit/sample rate for the first 3-5 seconds then go back to track info 😛

I do respect the team from Lumin...they are a pretty active group and they change their firmware so regularly, implementing new features.

I suggested displaying the new song title for the first 3 second to indicate that whenever you selected is now being streamed.  This gives the users the familiarity of the flow and the confirmation of the selection.   The next 5 seconds to to save me from eyestrains and having to walk to the front of the Lumin to find out the bit and sample rate of whatever is playing......

(Audio)

@wklie On my ripped and downloaded files your structure enabling med to search by album, artist, composer, year, genre, tune and latest added is excellent. But when adding albums from Tidal to my favourites I only have a structur of album, artist, year and latest added but not genre and composer. I can understand it might be harder to use composer as it look like Tidal does not tag this. Hower they do with ”genre”. So why does this not show up as an option for easier access of your favourites? (See attached image).

Is it a lack of option due to Lumin or is it linked to a functionality in Tidal? It should be very beneficial if you could sort this out. Is it the same for Quboz?

7A7B10DE-360C-4E57-8EA4-2F298D73DF87.thumb.png.954ffcbf86468f8850ef234d50fa2584.png