IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

15 minutes ago, chungjh said:

My internet download speed is fluctuating from 20 mbs to 200 mbs depending on the time of the day. I have my Lumin X1 connected directly by ethernet to the modem. Obviously faster the download speed the better, but does anyone know the download speed below which the SQ decreases?

it wouldn’t be a “decrease in quality” it would either work or not. You’d have skips and silent parts while the player buffers. 

As long as the internet speed is not causing dropout for Tidal Qobuz, I do not seen any reason for it to affect SQ, especially if you are doing network isolation such as utilizing the X1 fiber connection, and the router and switch are using good LPS.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

A question about the iOS Lumin player / app system if you'd be so kind:

Let's say I have the app running and the Lumin is streaming information it got from music library "X".  Without stopping the player, I switch to music library "Y" that does not contain the same tracks that library "X" and add a couple of tracks to the play list.  The player continues on its merry way without skipping a beat or dropping the other tracks it got from the previous library.  At what point, if any, would the Lumin / app "system" realize that music library "X" was no longer active and attempt to do something about it or does the user implicitly have to modify the Lumin's play list to stop it from playing library "X's" contribution to the play list?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

16 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

A question about the iOS Lumin player / app system if you'd be so kind:

Let's say I have the app running and the Lumin is streaming information it got from music library "X".  Without stopping the player, I switch to music library "Y" that does not contain the same tracks that library "X" and add a couple of tracks to the play list.  The player continues on its merry way without skipping a beat or dropping the other tracks it got from the previous library.  At what point, if any, would the Lumin / app "system" realize that music library "X" was no longer active and attempt to do something about it or does the user implicitly have to modify the Lumin's play list to stop it from playing library "X's" contribution to the play list?

It will try and find the music in the location it was told it existed. If it isn't there, it will skip to the next track and try again.
It wont try and find the same tracks on a different server or anything magic like that (so if you rename a server, it won't be able to find any tracks)
Nor will it stop playing tracks that do exist, just because another server is off.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

Thanks thingswelike.  I appreciate the response.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

A user has posted his Lumin T2 vs D2 comparison at audioshark https://www.audioshark.org/computer-digital-audio-11/lumin-d2-dac-t2-19446.html#post323840

For four days I have been doing the comparative tests between the D2 and the T2 using streaming music from Qobuz. In order to better determine if I appreciated differences I have used recordings ranging from one or more instruments to a symphony orchestra.
These are the files:
Bach JS Suite for cello Nº1 Celllo Misha Maisky
Chopin Etude No. 1 Piano Maurizio Pollini
Debussy Jardins sous la pluie. Piano Wikingur Olafsson
Vivaldi Sposa son disprenzata Voice / Piano Cecilia Bartoli
Bella Bartok. Sting Quartet Nº1. String Quartet Jerusalem Quartet
Haydn Symphony Nº84 Orquestra Le Concert de la Loge
Biber Requiem Choir / Orquestra Vox Luminis
Shostakovich Symphony Nº9 Orquestra Boston Symphony Orquestra

As you can see, it has been an exhaustive listening, since in each of the tracks I have made a D2-T2 comparison and then I have written down my impressions.
First of all I want to say that they both sound great but as expected but the T2 sounds better.
What is the difference between them?

The answer is in the annotations taken:
. The sense of space and placement of the performer is much more real, it is more centered and deep as in a concert hall.
. More global transparency.
. Each of the notes produced by the piano, cello or voice is more defined. In stringed instruments the friction of the bow with the strings is clearly appreciated. In the piano the harmonics are appreciated in the low octaves. The instrumental groups in the orchestra are very well defined.
. The dynamics of music are much more evident
. The human voice is more real

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Tidal log in?

I have a lumin mini.  Love it.  But on the app on my ipad.  It seems i have to log into tidal 3-5 times a week.  Is there a trick to not have to do this all the time.  This is a dedicated ipad for my lumin.  I dont have a password log on it.  I just double tap and it opens to lumin app open already.

M usicguy

1 hour ago, musicguy said:

Tidal log in?

I have a lumin mini.  Love it.  But on the app on my ipad.  It seems i have to log into tidal 3-5 times a week.  Is there a trick to not have to do this all the time.  This is a dedicated ipad for my lumin.  I dont have a password log on it.  I just double tap and it opens to lumin app open already.

M usicguy

Sounds odd.. I have a new mini and use my iPhone 12 Pro Max and have only needed to setup tidal once. It has been streaming almost 24x7 for 10 days.. perhaps a reset and re-setup. 

@musicguyPlease logout your Tidal account from all apps on all devices, including your family members' devices and Lumin.  Then use Lumin app to login Tidal.

I suspect you may have another device competing for the login session with the Lumin.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

6 minutes ago, ZombieMelvile said:

Just Order U1 Mini, from Italy as now dealers where I am  , can't wait to try it , exciting

Welcome @ZombieMelvile !  I recently got a Mini and am enjoying it very much.  The Lumin control app is easy to learn in iOS devices but I’ve heard it is difficult for some Android devices to work correctly.  I like the sound quality using the AES output to my DAC.  I haven’t tried the USB yet - my main HQPlayer source uses that input on the DAC, but want to try it to compare.  Let us know what you think.  Enjoy!

great to hear, I came across it only 2 months ago in a  forum recommendations and have since been reading much about it 

currently my system is building up, I use Synthesis Roma AC 510, 80W, valve amp,  B&W 805D speakers and I will be using U1 Mini to feed into  the DAC inside my Naim uniti2 . also own Rega 3 Planner, Chord Signature interconnect and Chord Epic speaker cables I'm planning to invest in Denafrips Venus II or Holo Audio Spring II (Both R2R DACs)

hoping to finally have a musical sounding system with the aid of Lumin Mini 

streaming from Qobuz and Tidal and some NAS files 

On 5/14/2020 at 7:48 PM, Kray said:

Is there any way to prevent the Settings/Music Library window from popping open every time I go back into the Lumin app after X minutes? I don’t know what X minutes are but I’d prefer it not open at all. 

On 5/22/2020 at 3:23 AM, wklie said:

I have talked to our team about this.

...and?

Innous are now launching a new app with better integration. Roon just launched their new version with many new features or improved ones.

Howabout Lumin, @wklie ? Can we expect any substantial upgrades from your side in order not to lose ground in this competitive field? I still like your app but it is obvious that more can be done when looking at what is happening on this field like handling favourite albums, both own and from streaming, direct access to artist/album info rather than using links etc. 

As I have understood you have some kind of cooperation Esoteric (same design on app that works on Android but not all features from Lumin) and I guess this should be also in their interest.

Our strategy is that we support the use of as many different control point UI as possible, even if you don't like our standard one or experience a problem with it, including but not limited to other OpenHome / UPnP control points, Bubble DS Next, Roon, JRiver, Audirvana, etc.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 3/9/2021 at 9:41 AM, wklie said:

Our strategy is that we support the use of as many different control point UI as possible,

That’s a good one. But are you not ”affraid” that you can lose market if your competitors rush away with more efficient and better apps that can put Lumin ”behind” and chose hardware with better supporting apps?

For now it is OK. Your app is very good, but the development does not stop here and today in my view. That includes both apps and electronics.

3 minutes ago, Ropet said:

That’s a good one. But are you not ”affraid” that you can lose market if your competitors rush away with more efficient and better apps that can put Lumin ”behind” and chose hardware with better supporting apps?

For now it is OK. Your app is very good, but the development does not stop here and today in my view. That includes both apps and electronics.

Speaking for myself only, I bought Lumin for the quality of the sound and I know that all apps, regardless of who makes them, are trade-offs unless you yourself provide the software specifications.  Until such time as the design of the app leads to degraded sound either by design or unintentionally, I can live with almost any UI and I use JRiver and others from time to time as well.

That being said, I'd love to get in on the ground floor of providing user input to the next software spec for the next release but I realize that the software guys can't be slaves to too many masters like me.

Enjoy the sound!

3 hours ago, honeymustardsteve said:

currently looking for a new streamer and was deciding between a u1 or u1 mini. i'm coming from an aurender a10 (both streamer and dac) and i purchased a chord dave recently so it makes sense to sell/trade the A10 and go for a streamer.

I'm wondering if there is a huge sq difference between the U1 and U1 mini?

I haven’t personally experienced the U1 mini, so can’t compare to the U1 for nearly two years now. Others have reported a noticeable difference between the two, the U1 would be a better match for the Dave DAC.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Ive had my lumin u1 mini Sbooster mod.  Love it so far.  as far as the app goes.  Im using it on the ipad.  I wish the play, pause and skip buttons were just a little bit bigger.    Most of the times im just wanting to advance and i hit pause or i hit shuffle.    I think the tidal window is so big and 40 percent of it isnt even used.   and?  I cant even adjust what i like to see the most.   I make play list  so i dont need 70% of the screen for tidal searches.  

For Lumin imput.