IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

On 3/14/2021 at 2:43 PM, One and a half said:

For the Ethernet connection, the shell that holds the connector in place is metal, is it bonded to the grounding terminal on the back? Is the earth ground also bonded to the USB shells?

image.png.a0bd012689e223bee739cf639e99886b.png

Yes and yes, but this is not part of the specifications.  If you measure differently, it would not be considered to be a hardware defect.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

6 hours ago, wklie said:

1. Yes, simultaneous connection of analog XLR and RCA should not have much degradation for T2 / D2 / D1 if you are not having a ground loop, but this is not recommended for X1 / S1 / A1 / T1 with Lundahl output transformers.

2. OK for D2 / D1 / S1 / A1 / T1.  However, for DSD and MQA signal you will need to go into Lumin app to change settings for different output - DSD / DoP and MQA are output either to analog or digital, not both at the same time.   (This is not possible on T2 and X1.)

3. If you're asking about digital output, the digital bits output are the same if we ignore 32-bit audio to USB.  However, for connection to an external DAC, U1 MINI is better.

Great help, much appreciated. Thank you, Wklie.

2 hours ago, wklie said:

Yes and yes, but this is not part of the specifications.  If you measure differently, it would not be considered to be a hardware defect.

Peter I have to ask:  What form of measurement, other than with an ohmmeter, are you referring to here?  I assume the original question had to do with ground loops and whether or not fully shielded cables, including grounding shield of the connector shells, would be prone to inducing them.

Thanks in advance!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

@Lars NielsenWe always use iPad to test YouTube AirPlay, and it works (as in there is audio output).  Please try using the iPad.  If you can confirm iPad works but ATV does not, this would be something that needs to be investigated.

Lip sync is not currently adjustable.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi Peter

Great to hear from you!

I do not have an Ipad.. I can try with an Iphone, and then I will report back to you here.

Lip sync does not need to be adjustable, it just needs to play audio instantly without any delay.. Like the Bluesound Node2i streamer does. If the hardware in Lumin does not support instant Airplay, then please let me know, because then i need to return my new Lumin U1 to the dealer. If a future firmware upgrade can solve the delay issue, then I can be patient due to the great sound quality you have made in the U1. :)

Best regards

Lars Nielsen

@Lars Nielsen not sure it helps (probably not) but worth a try: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210526

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, Lars Nielsen said:

this function is not for Airplay speakers/devices connected to the Apple TV

610212273_Screenshot2021-03-16at15_36_29.thumb.jpg.1db7d062767cb867356fd4b76a2a18ca.jpg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

@pl_svn Try reading step 4. 

Apple TV plays a tone

Keep your iPhone near your TV while the tone plays. Make sure that the volume on your TV is turned up and the room is quiet.

The tone will always play from your TV speakers even if you set your audio output to AirPlay. Your original audio output settings will still be there after you sync. 

10 minutes ago, Lars Nielsen said:

The tone will always play from your TV speakers even if you set your audio output to AirPlay

obvious: purpose is synching AirPlay devices with audio coming from the AppleTV which goes wired to the TV and has no lag so... *test* tone must come from there ;)

anyway...

headphones system:

5 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

obvious: purpose is synching AirPlay devices with audio coming from the AppleTV which goes wired to the TV and has no lag

anyway...

I think the purpose of this function is to sync Bluetooth soundbars and headphones connected to the TV screen. It seems like Apple have fully misunderstod the need for syncing Airplay speakers connected to the Apple TV, since Airplay speakers can not be connected to a normal TV screen.

However, there should not be a 1 second audio delay on an Airplay device... 🤨

Regarding Airplay: I own an apple tv and iPad.

If I stream video content from my iPad to my stereo (i.e., a broadcast of the Berlin Philharmonic) I can simultaneously watch on the iPad and listen through my Lumin U1 without any syncing issues.

If I attempt to do the same with my Apple TV and television, I get syncing issues.

Of course Apple TV has its own Berlin Philharmonic App and this works without syncing issues while streaming to the TV....Just not with the Lumin U1 in the mix.

But I think @Lars Nielsen has already figured this out.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

15 hours ago, wklie said:

@Lars NielsenWe always use iPad to test YouTube AirPlay, and it works (as in there is audio output).  Please try using the iPad.  If you can confirm iPad works but ATV does not, this would be something that needs to be investigated.

Lip sync is not currently adjustable.

Hi Peter @wklie

I have testet the Youtube app with an Iphone, and it works (with delay). But sound is coming out of the Lumin. So you have a problem with Airplay from Apple TV Youtube app.

Best regards

Lars Nielsen

6 hours ago, wklie said:

We will look into Apple TV and see if there's anything we can do (in terms of function, not the inevitable delay).

As one may expect, we must have buffering.

This is not related to hardware.

@wklie

Hi Peter

Great! About the Apple TV Youtube app.!

You do not need buffering when streaming Airplay on a local network, the Bluesound Node2i streamer has no buffering and it playes Airplay audio instantly, without any buffering and there is NO audio delay, and it all works fine.

Maybe you could implent the possibility to turn off buffering on Airplay in the Lumin settings?

Best regards

Lars Nielsen

Many preamps are not designed to handle a 6V rms source.  They will clip.  Lowering the output voltage will cure that.

If you can get the input sensitivity value specification from your preamp designer, and tell me whether you're using XLR or RCA, I can calculate a more precise volume setting in the X1 for you.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

yes, I totally agree with @Chungjh. When i keep Analog output level to low, it seems that i am missing some frequencies, liveliness of music gets suppressed.. i am using Lumin X1 XLR output into balanced XLR input of ATC SCA2 and using balanced XLR output of ATC SCA2 to ATC SCM50 ASLT speaker. The balanced input sensitivity of ATC SCA2 is 235mV.

On 3/8/2021 at 2:26 AM, wklie said:

Please select a UPnP library.  If you do not have a library, you may install the free MinimServer, or simply plug in a USB thumb drive (not SSD) to the Lumin.

@wklie I really apreciate the support you are giving in this forum, and others. And I love the sound of my Lumin. However, this answer is very disappointing. This seems to be your standard answer to users not wanting a music server. It seems to me that either you are not reading and understanding my issue, or - I hope not - Lumin does not care about users wanting streaming-only. 

I really do not understand how you can suggest to install a server or plug in a thumb drive as a fix to this problem! Really?? With this attitude you are really saying that there is one way to use the Lumin app, and that is by using a music server of some kind. Streaming-only customers should use Roon or some other software.  If that is the case, I think potential buyers ought to be informed about this. I bought a product costing me quite a lot of money, and the software-part of the product is not holding up to the expected standard when I am forced into the music library settings whenever launching the app. Seems that there is a hidden cost when purchasing Lumin: Roon.

5 hours ago, Sanjeev said:

yes, I totally agree with @Chungjh. When i keep Analog output level to low, it seems that i am missing some frequencies, liveliness of music gets suppressed.. i am using Lumin X1 XLR output into balanced XLR input of ATC SCA2 and using balanced XLR output of ATC SCA2 to ATC SCM50 ASLT speaker. The balanced input sensitivity of ATC SCA2 is 235mV.

If you do think that the sound is disturbed by decreasing the Lumin's output level why not try doing what I did?  I chose some high quality inline passive attenuators, available in RCA or XLR configurations of varying levels of attenuation, to put the X1's sweet spot where I wanted it.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

2 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

If you do think that the sound is disturbed by decreasing the Lumin's output level why not try doing what I did?  I chose some high quality inline passive attenuators, available in RCA or XLR configurations of varying levels of attenuation, to put the X1's sweet spot where I wanted it.

I also have an ATC SCA2 connected to big ATC active monitors.  And I also now turn my Lumin's analog outputs down so that a) it doesn't overload my SCA2, and b) to keep the Lumin's output suitable for my SCA2's sweet spot range.   I seem to remember something on this forum about Leedh not kicking in below 60%.  Am I right about that?  As a consequence, I have my Lumin (with Leedh) set to 61% volume at present.