IGNORED

Official iTunes 11 Thread (Released 11/29/2012)

v11 was pushed to me last night. Just opened it this morning and the first thing it did was rebuild the library or something.

I manage my music file folders and metadata manually. When opening v11 the first time, I declined helping Apple with Album Art etc. With v11, I now see a few song listings I'd never seen before (looks like my wife has activated Cloud and has bought some mp3s from the Apple Store).

I am worried (just paranoid) that v11 might be writing back more to metadata. Has anyone seen any difference?

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Yup. Suddenly my database is "littered" with mp3 files from the cloud. There must be a way to turn this off ...

EDIT:

Easily turned off --> Preferences/Store/

uncheck "Show iTunes in the Cloud Purchases"

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

I'm having major delay issues with the search function. When I start typing, I get the spinning wheel and it takes at least 15-30 seconds before any results are shown. Now granted, my library has 171,074 songs, but iTunes 10 had almost immediate response.

I found the solution to the slow search problem: Click on the magnifying glass, deselect "search entire library" and search speeds should be back to normal.

I found the solution to the slow search problem: Click on the magnifying glass, deselect "search entire library" and search speeds should be back to normal.

I found this "solution" on the Apple forums and indeed it seems to have restored similar speeds to iTunes 10. It also eliminated the annoying new popup window for search results, and reverted to narrowing the list of matching songs. I'm just not sure why deselecting "search entire library" would fix it since it seems to still be searching my entire library even when I turn off that option.

Well, I listened through iTunes 11 to several albums last night, and I think it sounds better than ever- and the new interface is both awesome and weird. ;)

Need to listen a lot more to determine how it fares against Amarra and the like, but initially at least, it seems to stand up pretty well.

It is finding stuff that isn't an exact match in iTunes Match and presenting it along with the local full resolution files. Have to figure out how to tell it to ignore that function. I do like the iTunes match for when I am in the truck. Can't beat being able to listen to a big chunk of your library, even at 256kbs AAC. I can say that works well with the new iTunes 11 as well. I RIPed a disc in last night, and it was available in the truck this morning.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I'm having the same problem on my music server (mac mini with SL 10.6.8). The slow response makes iTunes 11 basically useless for me. Looks like I'm going to have to downgrade back to iTunes 10.

I left iTunes running all night to see if that was the cause and no improvement in speed today.

Oh my god. Just downloaded, started my first search, and got a 40 second beach ball.

You gotta be kidding. Please somebody tell me it eventually gets faster.

On the rest, well, the Album Grid full screen is a good idea, but why the heck don't they allow the column browser with it? All I'm left with if I want to use the column browser (and I need with my library size) is the list view, which is basically the same as before, just without any decent album art view, except for the microscopic (on my 27') little icon on top. And I'm not really sure the new font is an improvement.

Maybe useful for an 11' Macbook Air, but pretty useless for an iMac.

I'm pretty annoyed.

Looks like the "show duplicates" function is gone for the time being.

Like others have experienced, really slow moving when searching, etc.

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

Pure Music will play gapless with iTunes 11. Rob sent me this:

BTW, a work-around to be able to use gapless with Pure Music in iTunes 11 is to select the "Songs" (list) view in iTunes.

It seems to work for me now.

Thanks for passing this along to the rest of us. The type of view affects the playback characteristics? The list view is what I've always used, but wow, is that peculiar. So deselect the Pure Music gapless option, go to the "Songs" view and I'll be able to listen to my ambient/drone albums gaplessly?

Pure Music c/o iTunes -> DAC -> amplifier -> speakers

I found this "solution" on the Apple forums and indeed it seems to have restored similar speeds to iTunes 10. It also eliminated the annoying new popup window for search results, and reverted to narrowing the list of matching songs. I'm just not sure why deselecting "search entire library" would fix it since it seems to still be searching my entire library even when I turn off that option.

With that option turned off, it searches whatever is currently "active" in the client (e.g., if Music is selected, it searches just Music and not Videos, etc.). If "search entire library" is selected, it conducts a much more extensive search, including Videos, Podcasts, etc.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

a work-around to be able to use gapless with Pure Music in iTunes 11 is to select the "Songs" (list) view in iTunes.

Does that mean Pure Music cannot play gaplessly if the list is sorted by Album?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

So far I have no issues with Amarra. Here is the version I'm using.

amarra.png

Hi all,

The issue with Amarra playing only a second or two is due to the Pre Load Tracks preference being set in Amarra Preferences. We have fixed the issue and posted Amarra 2.4.4 build 4435 to our website. You should be alerted to a new release being available the next time you launch Amarra or Hifi.

If you have any other questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Sonic Studio Customer Support .:.

Sonic Studio, LLC .:. Trust the transparency

As I'm currently traveling, I'd really be interested in hearing people's opinion on the changes and even more whether Audirvana still works.

Let me give you a warning if you use Pure Music...I am running the latest version and today my iMac updated to iTunes 11.....

I am still trying to figure out why nothing works right. For the first time I get a "loading to memory" note when I go to play an album and have had to wait as long as ten minutes for anything to happen. Some tracks play and some do not...I have no idea what is going on but do not update to iTunes 11 until the bugs with Pure Music are resolved.

I consider it a complete mess. I also tried to remove the thing from my machine and replace it with 10.7 It had no problem at all doing that except for the note that tells me I have no music as it had all been changed to work with version 11...but it let me reload 11....

After being VERY annoyed for an hour, I went back, rebooted, and more tracks play right...

I am running snow leopard. My machine is 4.5 years old and is only used for music.

And what is with this 'cloud' crap...All I want my music server to do is play the music I have put in my iMac. I have no desire at all for my computer to be talking to apple, the iTunes store or some database in the sky. I fear eventually they will figure a way to cut me off if I do not pay some fee, or let them tiptoe through my computer as they desire. I have no idea what mischief they might plan but will buy J-Rivers music program for Mac as soon as it becomes available.

All I can say with certainty is beware for a while...this thing has bugs.

Final note...Those tracks that do play have never sounded better.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

It appears you no longer need to exit and restart iTunes to get iTunes to recognize the changes if you change outputs or bitrates in Audio Midi Setup - at least it's working for me.

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

It appears you no longer need to exit and restart iTunes to get iTunes to recognize the changes if you change outputs or bitrates in Audio Midi Setup - at least it's working for me.

You can even change on the fly (i.e., while music is playing). Seems like a short step to allow iTunes to change the MIDI settings automatically for bit-perfect (i.e., unmolested by Core Audio) playback?

You can even change on the fly (i.e., while music is playing). Seems like a short step to allow iTunes to change the MIDI settings automatically for bit-perfect (i.e., unmolested by Core Audio) playback?

How are you testing for bit perfect output?

In the past you could always change Audio Midi sample rate and the DAC would show the new sample rate but iTunes would still be sending audio out at the rate set when it opened. Thus, a double sample rate conversion could happen.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

How are you testing for bit perfect output?

In the past you could always change Audio Midi sample rate and the DAC would show the new sample rate but iTunes would still be sending audio out at the rate set when it opened. Thus, a double sample rate conversion could happen.

Now that you say that . . . :/

You're right, all I'm testing is that the final output is at the right bit rate (via DragonFly color change) and that iTunes keeps playing through various changes.

How *would* you verify if iTunes itself is recognizing the change? I'm thinking we had documented a test earlier, but I no longer recall :(