IGNORED

Official iTunes 11 Thread (Released 11/29/2012)

What happened to the find cover art option?

That's now part of the "do you want all of your personal information, including DNA sequence and email stalkers in Tampa, to be sent to Apple" button. At least I think. I didn't push that button.

There is a dougscript that does a search with google images for you, that seems to work better than what Apple had.

What happened to the find cover art option?

In the Album view, right-click on any album cover.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Why in God's name would they want to get rid of that??? Cover art limitations are already a major reason iTunes is so poor an option if one listens to better files than MP3...

Sorry, they didn't.

Right-click on the file and you get a contextual menu item that allows you to search for the album art.

Screen Shot 2012-11-30 at 1.57.15 PM.png

Why in God's name would they want to get rid of that??? Cover art limitations are already a major reason iTunes is so poor an option if one listens to better files than MP3...

Get Album Artwork is still there under another menu. I cannot remember or look at the moment but I will post tonight if someone else has not pointed it out...or I could read the next post and realize it has been answered.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

- no album cover display or customisation in list view ("Songs" view)

I have read this whole thread, but have not yet installed iTunes 11. I use the column browser (horizontally is my preference) almost exclusively, so missing CoverFlow is not too much of a bother and most everything else seems to have a work around.

But your statement that there is no "customization in list view" caught my attention. Please elaborate on what you find has been taken away. Are all the "view options" still available (41 check boxes in the View Options dialog allowing you to choose what columns appear in list view)? Can one's library still be sorted by clicking on any column heading? These things are crucial to me and would be deal breakers if missing.

Thanks!

Oh god apple, what have you done?????????????????????

- no album cover display or customisation in list view ("Songs" view)

- column browser only displayable horizontally, not vertically

i will need to revert back to 10 until this is realised.......... i hope this is possible...

i know what you mean about the column browser... heres the only simple solution i found to get a sort of vertical "feel" back. I have all my AIFF files in one playlist, on the right hand corner you get a "view" option and i clicked "artist list" and got the column browser back. i think this is only in a playlist, i may be wrong, try it out and see if it works for you. Downgrading is a much PITA...

iMac -> Audirvana+ -> Schiit Modi -> Yamaha A-S500 -> Audioengine P4

How are you testing for bit perfect output?

In the past you could always change Audio Midi sample rate and the DAC would show the new sample rate but iTunes would still be sending audio out at the rate set when it opened. Thus, a double sample rate conversion could happen.

In the past I thought you had to quit iTunes, change MIDI settings to match the sample rate, then reopen iTunes and play. Repeat each time the sample rate changes.

Now, I'm still on iTunes 10.7 and the output sample rate indicator on my Marantz AVR changes on the fly when I change the sample rate in MIDI settings.

If HDCD is still a reliable indicator for bit perfect output, the HDCD indicator lights up when playing a ripped to ALAC or AIFF HDCD encoded file. The HDCD indicator light goes out when I change the MIDI setting from 44.1 to 48 Hz on the fly while playing a HDCD track.

I have read this whole thread, but have not yet installed iTunes 11. I use the column browser (horizontally is my preference) almost exclusively, so missing CoverFlow is not too much of a bother and most everything else seems to have a work around.

But your statement that there is no "customization in list view" caught my attention. Please elaborate on what you find has been taken away. Are all the "view options" still available (41 check boxes in the View Options dialog allowing you to choose what columns appear in list view)? Can one's library still be sorted by clicking on any column heading? These things are crucial to me and would be deal breakers if missing.

Thanks!

In the songs view, you can check and uncheck all boxes, the column browser still has the 5 options as before, and you can sort by any column. All this is still around.

What has changed is the absence of any visual album grouping, and the complete lack of cover art, which makes this view (by far my preferred one as well), less useful.

For me iTunes 11 with Audirvana Plus 1.3.5 in integrated mode works well except when it crashes (but the situation was the same with iTunes 10). However, using iTunes 11 with Audirvana Plus 1.3.5 in standalone mode (ie using iTunes to browse files and then drag and drop them to the playlist of Audirvana) does not work at all: A+'s playlist get the right files, but in random order, and there is no way to sort them by track number in A+, so it just does not work. I really do not like this as this is my favourite way of using Audirvana Plus because it is very stable. What I would like is a "sort by track #" function in Audirvana Plus, this would solve this problem neatly and be convenient more generally.

Interesting bug with iTunes Home Sharing in iTunes 11: if you have a set of tracks selected on the source system, *only* those tracks currently highlighted on the source system will show up on the local system when you connect via Home Sharing! Very odd, and a bit disconcerting - as far as I can tell, the only way you can get those files "back" is to disconnect from the source system, actually deselect the tracks on the source system (e.g., either directly at the source system or via VNC, etc.) and reconnect - then the whole library will show up!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I'm by now getting used to the new piece of software.

I don't get some of the changes (why remove cover art from Song view, why delete coverflow, why can't you chose any more e.g. genre then artist in the genre view), and would love to have the column browser in album view as well.

Then again, I quite like the new full screen album grid, and the way the album opens up when you click on it. It forces me a bit to browse my library again like a good old CD rack (or LP rack for that matter).

The search function, once you turn of the "search entire library" is actually an improvement.

And getting rid of the sidebar actually makes the full screen column browser song view for the first time really well usable when used via Splashtop on my iPad.

So overall, no real improvement, some ups, some downs, just a change of workflow that you need to get used to.

However, on the new Ipad app, I really see an improvement. There's still some stupid things like no ability to sort playlists, but the album view is quite well implemented, and the search function really useful.

I now start looking for music on the Ipad 90% by either randomly scrolling through the album view, see what tempts me, or use the search function and directly select from the search pop up. And in the case I want to e.g. go for a specific classical piece (e.g Symphony 3), I use Splashtop and the column browser view (I have used the groupings tag for the oeuvre, unfortunatly the column browser is still the only place that uses the groupings tag).

In summary, I hope we see some more improvements and bug fixes in future updates (and they would have to update it soon as there are some horrible translation mistakes in the German version), but thanks to the new Ipad remote Itunes 11 is an improvement for me.

I mis coverflow badly. I loved the full screen mode of coverflow on my livingroom TV!

I used that extensively and I am very hesitant to change without any real discernible benefit. At thi point this seems like change for the sake of change.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I used that extensively and I am very hesitant to change without any real discernible benefit. At thi point this seems like change for the sake of change.

I'm with you, at this point I see no reason to upgrade. I only use it as the library and I'm fine with it as is. It is getting so big that frankly the first decent Mac app that comes along with just these elements will get my business. I suspect that iTunes will be broken up at some point, I hope so.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

I'm thinking that at some point, iTunes and ATV will merge into one product. Best of both worlds, perhaps. If they were to make an audiophile grade version, with automatic bit depth and sample rate switching options - well!

-Paul

I'm with you, at this point I see no reason to upgrade. I only use it as the library and I'm fine with it as is. It is getting so big that frankly the first decent Mac app that comes along with just these elements will get my business. I suspect that iTunes will be broken up at some point, I hope so.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

This may sound stupid - and little Windows-ish - but try a cold re-boot after installing iTunes 11 and running it for the first time.

BitPerfect is receiving all sorts of reports of erratic and seemingly unconnected problems after installing iTunes 11. Most of those do not actually relate to BitPerfect (one example - entries in iTunes menu are greyed out and inaccessible). These problems seem to go away after a hard re-boot.

My own bizarre problem actually required me to re-boot my router! One or two strange episodes can be viewed as a bizarre coincidence, but frankly, I've fielded about a dozen of these today already.

This is the official BitPerfect support line.