IGNORED

Official iTunes 11 Thread (Released 11/29/2012)

I requested the ability to sort by composer (or any enterable field) long ago.

When I saw the addition of "Composer", I quickly downloaded the latest version.

After playing with it for a few minutes, I sent Apple feedback.

Has anyone else tried it?

What I found was this:

I clicked on the "Composer" checkbox in Preferences and saw the new Composer entry at the top of the screen.

When I clicked on it, I saw a list down the left side with all the composers I'd entered for all the music in the library.

So far, so good.

So, I clicked on a composer. The right side of the screen showed that composer's name at the top with an album (or more) below, showing the tracks on that album by that composer. Only problem was, they weren't by that composer.

Example: I clicked on "Igor Stravinsky". There are several albums in the library with his music.

On the right side of the screen, I saw "Igor Stravinsky" at the top. In the rest of the window, I saw two James Taylor albums, a Sonny Rollins album and a Fairport Convention album.

No albums with Stravinsky's music were shown. I double checked in case I completely missed it but could not find any compositions by Igor Stravinsky on the James Taylor, Sonny Rollins or Fairport albums.

A great idea. Needs some more work.

Waiting for take two.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

P.S. Further thoughts:

Perhaps James Taylor meant to sing "I've seen *the Firebird* and I've seen rain"?

Odd, works perfectly here :/ I click on the name of the Composer in the Column Browser, and the far right field ("Albums") show only albums by that composer. If I select the Album in the Column Browser, the only tracks that show below are the tracks on that album by that composer. Exactly as it should be.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Hi John,

Odd, works perfectly here :/ I click on the name of the Composer in the Column Browser, and the far right field ("Albums") show only albums by that composer. If I select the Album in the Column Browser, the only tracks that show below are the tracks on that album by that composer. Exactly as it should be.

I'm glad to hear it is working for someone.

I just launched iTunes again and for a minute, it seemed all was suddenly okay.

Then I tried another composer and it worked.

Then I triend another (Bjork) and got two tracks from a Greg Brown album. Checked the tracks and Bjork is not the composer.

So I went all the way to Stravinsky again and was happy to see a whole bunch of albums with his compositions. However, as I scrolled down the page, other albums, clearly not with Stravinsky compositions were there too.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Hi John,

I'm glad to hear it is working for someone.

I just launched iTunes again and for a minute, it seemed all was suddenly okay.

Then I tried another composer and it worked.

Then I triend another (Bjork) and got two tracks from a Greg Brown album. Checked the tracks and Bjork is not the composer.

So I went all the way to Stravinsky again and was happy to see a whole bunch of albums with his compositions. However, as I scrolled down the page, other albums, clearly not with Stravinsky compositions were there too.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Hi Barry,

I believe is a new iTunes virus: "Composer Dyslexia"...!

Each times iTunes 'upgrades' I wait a lot of time to install it, I'm scare always to damage the music library.

Kind regards,

Roch

I've also noticed that iTunes 11 seems to have restricted the ability of the iPad Remote application to control iTunes. For instance, if you have a genre selected on your desk top, the remote will only allow you to play items in that genre even though it shows the whole library. When you try to play something in another genre you get the message "The song xyz could be be played because the original file could not be found." (...) This bug also exists in the lastest revision 11.0.1. (...) The same problem occurs if you select a specific composer or artist. You can only access the tracks that match the particular composer or artist selected on your desktop.

Do you know if 11.0.2 solves this issue? Thanks.

After having worked with iTunes 11 these past couple of months and becoming more familiar with the changes I am overall quite satisfied with its performance. If I had one complaint or one request it would be regarding Grid view. First I would like to be able to change the size of the artwork (specifically to enlarge them showing fewer per row) and even more importantly I would like the ability to change the background color of the grid from that glaringly bright white to a more neutral gray (which should be better for more accurately displaying the color in the cover artwork).

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Composer in Column Browser has always worked in 11 for me, but I only use Column Browser mode. Not sure just what the new function is supposed to add, and I'm not going to risk my system by updating to it.

• 1 month later...

i "upgraded" to itunes 11.02...

now i noticed itunes is changing my library

i just imported paul simon's "so beautiful or so what"...during import itunes displayed "10 songs, 38.1 minutes, 385.8 MB"

AFTER importing, itunes displays "10 items, 38.1 minutes, 236.3MB...!!

spot checked other albums...one's that once were 449MB now display292MB...!?!

have i ripped lossless files for nothing...?

anyone else noticed this??

i just imported paul simon's "so beautiful or so what"...during import itunes displayed "10 songs, 38.1 minutes, 385.8 MB"

You should check your ripping settings preferences again. In my case: AIFF

It seems this upgrade 'forget' your previous settings.

Roch

You should check your ripping settings preferences again. In my case: AIFF

It seems this upgrade 'forget' your previous settings.

Roch

no...i had checked

ripping preference remained "apple lossless" as before

what i don't get is my library size remains at 457GB, yet the individual album files seem to have been downsized...

is there something simple i'm overlooking here...?

Just taking a shot here but possibly what you are seeing is the uncompressed album size versus the finished compressed lossless file size.

How do you know or how are you spot checking "one's that once were 449MB now display 292MB"?

Frank Zappa
Just taking a shot here but possibly what you are seeing is the uncompressed album size versus the finished compressed lossless file size.

How do you know or how are you spot checking "one's that once were 449MB now display 292MB"?[/quote

I see you are using 11.02...do you notice this happening when you rip a cd to your iTunes?

How do you know or how are you spot checking "one's that once were 449MB now display 292MB"?[/quote

I see you are using 11.02...do you notice this happening when you rip a cd to your iTunes?

I only use iTunes as my data manager. I use XLD for ripping and Audivrana + for playback software

Frank Zappa