IGNORED

Official iTunes 11 Thread (Released 11/29/2012)

Since installing I've struggled with the fact that it seemed that the column browser couldn't be modified within Apple's Classical Music playlist. One morning I somehow managed to add grouping (where I keep works) and composer to the browser, and was ecstatic. Nothing I did enabled me to adjust that again. This morning after trying a Doug Script and losing the column browser entirely, with the option greyed out in the menu, I googled once more and found the answer. Here are the steps.

Show sidebar; Select your Classical Music smartlist; Hide sidebar

OR, more directly, from the main window (no sidebar), click "Playlists" just under the player, and select your playlist.

NOW you have options to show or hide the column browser, and to control (by right-clicking in column header) what appears in the column browser. Best is genre, composer, groupings, assuming you use groupings for the right thing (for work).

Thanks you Betalogue » iTunes 11: Column Browser bug and limitations for documenting the glitch (bug?) of the browser options being greyed out when the sidebar is visible.

- Lynette

----

Mac Mini with iTunes and Pure Music > Audiophilleo2 > Audiolab 8200CDQ pre-amp/CD player/DAC > Kimber PBJ interconnects [> Grant Fidelity B283 mkii Tube Processor > mystery hand-me-down interconnects >] Audiolab 8200P power amp > Grant Fidelity SPC-2.5 Performance speaker cables > Opera Consonance Eric Grand speakers

And then, to get an approximation of what we are all missing (album covers in list view), start in Artist view, search the composer's name in the upper right hand corner search field with "Filter by composer" selected. Then you see the albums where composer X is the composer (or one of the composers), and you see album art and tracks (on which they are a composer).

You can switch to Artist view at any point in the process (e.g. do search by composer name first). You can also be in/switch to Album view, naturally.

The search field stays set at "filter by composer."

This is no longer a place you can easily edit fields from, but perhaps the intention is a clearer separation between library browsing/use and library management/editing.

- Lynette

----

Mac Mini with iTunes and Pure Music > Audiophilleo2 > Audiolab 8200CDQ pre-amp/CD player/DAC > Kimber PBJ interconnects [> Grant Fidelity B283 mkii Tube Processor > mystery hand-me-down interconnects >] Audiolab 8200P power amp > Grant Fidelity SPC-2.5 Performance speaker cables > Opera Consonance Eric Grand speakers

OK, this is seriously starting to piss me off, but Ive got major issues here and I can't make sense of it. So I've already documented my issue, my songs are all out of order in the Album, Artist, and Genre views, see screenshot on previous page.

So last night I decided to do a clean install of Mountain Lion, completely erase the hard drive and start from scratch, then I re-encoded my entire FLAC library to ALAC and imported into iTunes and BAM, EXACT SAME ISSUE!

I don't think it's my files because they always worked fine in the previous versions of iTunes. But how can it be a glitch in iTunes, I completely rebuilt the OS install from scratch.

So frustrated...

What's even more odd is that it's on MOST albums, but not all. There are some albums that show the track order just fine, while most don't. I've looked at the tagging and that's all consistent.

ANYWAY, I'll quit taking up space here, will post back if I happen to find a solution, but right now looks like it's ANOTHER clean install and stick with iTunes 10.

OK, so I was wrong before about it working on another computer. I just tested one of the problematic albums with iTunes 11 on the MBA and it's broken there as well.

And get this, I'm able to reproduce the same phantom sorting in iTunes 10, I just never used this field. SO if I choose the grid view option in iTunes 10 (one just to the left of cover flow) and then click on an album, I get the same phantom sorting that I'm getting in iTunes 11. The difference is that here in iTunes 10 I can change it to sort by Name.

There's a colum on the left that doesn't contain anything that iTunes appears to be sorting by. I'm taking two screenshots, one is of the default view and sorting and the other is when I change it to correctly sort by title.

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 9.09.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 9.09.39 AM.png

That's just the thing, there's nothing there. When I right click and view the columns it's not listed and I can't move it around or anything, and there's never anything visible in that column. But it appears THAT is what this view in iTunes 10 AND iTunes 11 is sorting by.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone...

AHA!!!!

The good news is I figured it out, bad news is I don't think there's anything I can do about it. It's sorting on TRACK NUMBER, which my media tags don't include. My track title includes the track number at the beginning, but in iTunes there's a separate tag for for Track #. I don't think there's an easy way to get that tagged on my library, so I guess I'm SOL unless Apple changes that.

By the way, I don't purchase music through iTunes, I rip everything in FLAC using dbPowerAmp then convert to ALAC.

There's a Doug's script for this, but obviously you'd have to do it for every single album.

I've used the doug's script for embedding artwork on multiple albums at once, so there's very little harm that can come from trying it on the whole library at once. If it's just taking the first character or two from the filename and putting that into the track # field (and not doing anything with total tracks for the album), there's really no reason it should hang. Worth a shot, anyway.

Pure Music c/o iTunes -> DAC -> amplifier -> speakers

I've used the doug's script for embedding artwork on multiple albums at once, so there's very little harm that can come from trying it on the whole library at once. If it's just taking the first character or two from the filename and putting that into the track # field (and not doing anything with total tracks for the album), there's really no reason it should hang. Worth a shot, anyway.

+1 - I've used the script many times when downloaded music is not tagged optimally. I always tag track # and # of tracks, etc., and remove the track number from the track name field.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I did find the script that takes the first of the filename and numbers the tracks after my initial post earlier. That collection of scripts is a huge help and a lifesaver in my case, as it does exactly what I need and looks to fix the issue.

I still think is a silly problem to have to begin with, hopefully they'll add in that logical option to sort by title in those views vs just by track number.

I really like the changes and look overall with 11, and with this fix I plan on sticking with it.

Probably late to the party, but select the View menu and see how you have them sorted. I usually sort by Artist them Album title.

The options change depending upon the view you are in by the way.

-Paul

It's the same in the Albums view. In the Songs list view the tracks are sorted in the correct order, but in the other views they are sorted in just some random order.

WOW, not cool

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I did find the script that takes the first of the filename and numbers the tracks after my initial post earlier. That collection of scripts is a huge help and a lifesaver in my case, as it does exactly what I need and looks to fix the issue.

I still think is a silly problem to have to begin with, hopefully they'll add in that logical option to sort by title in those views vs just by track number.

I really like the changes and look overall with 11, and with this fix I plan on sticking with it.

Glad this worked.

If you have other similar problems, there's also a great software tool called TuneInstructor (Tune?Instructor | Take control of your iTunes library) that has a gazillion useful tag and filename editing tools in it.

MMmmm- I don't usually see that issue. (grin) Well, at least you know how to solve it now. ;)

-Paul

Appreciate the reply, but yeah I've been through all the options. This was a case of me not having the track number tag populated and iTunes not being intelligent enough to sort by the track name even when I tell it to in the view options.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Some things with iTunes 11:

1. Playing with Audirvana plus (1.3.9.11 with exclusive, direct, max buffers) with proxies / iTunes integration - no issues as long as iTunes is not the "frontest" most app - found the tracks are sensitive to any change.

2. A "win" - used to have a lot of issues with iTunes 10 - one track from a "CD" would never "list" with the rest of the tracks -- i.e. track 1 from Black Sabbath's Master of Reality. iTunes 11 - no worries, every thing is "listed" as the one CD (well SACD ISO).

3. Hard to quantify - but iTune 11 does sound good - not using any DACs at work - just my baby Sennheiser PX100-IIs.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

I'm having a lot if trouble getting iTunes 11 to work smoothly with PM 1.88a. iT11 seems to tell PM everything is gapless, and most of the time it freezes everything.

Take a look at the Pure Music thread...lots of topics covered and answers to most of them.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

I have a large volume of folders on my hard disk containing .aiff files. I want to import them so the folders become playlists with the same .aiff files inside them. That cannot be done in itunes 10.7 -- the folders are obliterated and playlists must be recreated manually and the .aiff files placed in them. This is fine and dandy for a few playlists, but gets old real quickly when there are hundreds of folders. I'm currently using iFolderer as a workaround, but it too has its limits. (for some reason, each folder has to be added individually -- you can't batch a bunch of them and transfer them, like in Finder or Windows Explorer.)

Does anyone know if the situation is any better for v. 11? I haven't upgraded. Or if there is a better way to do what I seek in v. 10.7? Thanks. -- David

Seeing a few odd behaviors here with Amarra build 4435 on my MacBook Pro running 10.8.2.

First, the "anchor" button ("Amarra Window follows position of iTunes Window") puts Amarra *under* the iTunes window instead of on top of it (like it was previously).

Second, launching Amarra and pressing its "Play" button doesn't start the music anymore. I have to press the "Go To Next Track" button to get the music to start....

Loaded build 4436 yesterday evening. Still seeing the same behaviors.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Hi Barry,

I am running 10.8.2 with Amarra build 4436 on a Mac Mini and do not see these issues. The play/pause works as it should. With the "anchor" button activated Amarra goes to the top of iTunes unless iTunes is too close to the top of the screen then it goes to the bottom. Once I move iTunes down Amarra will go back above iTunes.

All the best,

Chuck

Seeing a few odd behaviors here with Amarra build 4435 on my MacBook Pro running 10.8.2.

First, the "anchor" button ("Amarra Window follows position of iTunes Window") puts Amarra *under* the iTunes window instead of on top of it (like it was previously).

Second, launching Amarra and pressing its "Play" button doesn't start the music anymore. I have to press the "Go To Next Track" button to get the music to start....

Loaded build 4436 yesterday evening. Still seeing the same behaviors.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio