Jump to content
4est

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

 

You can go with an Intel NUC or one of Jussi’s recommended small, low power computers with the available NAA images.   With a good PSU (everything benies from a good PSU) you get a lot of the way to one of the Ethernet renederers.  I have both a NUC and a SOTM trifecta.  

 

Thanks for the suggestion. I have an SMS200 (being upgrade to Neo, thinking of the Ultra) and using a Cubox-i as well with NAA image. 

I wonder if there are more sophisticated ways to use Linux NAA? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2018 at 5:54 AM, Miska said:

 

This is likely the problem because parsing a message parameter fails... It could be related to locale, but for integers I have hard time trying to figure out what could be different in locale that integer representation would change...

 

Have you checked if there's anything strange in the corresponding exchange at HQPlayer log side?

 

Just re-visiting this issue running NAA on MacOS.

 

I didn't show you last time when you asked but here is what HQPe log side is showing. Does it give any clues?

 

The same Macbook running Windows NAA (Bootcamp) has no issues, with everything else in the chain staying same.

 

I noticed : "2019/01/15 23:41:48 clPlayerDaemon::CreateEngine(): clHQPlayerEngine::Initialize(): clNetMiniEngine::Initialize(): adapter not found"

 

I had already disabled MacOS firewall to check if it was that.

 

  2019/01/15 23:41:47 libDSP version 20.6.0
  2019/01/15 23:41:47 HQPlayer Engine version 4.8.1
  2019/01/15 23:41:47 Number of processor cores: 4
  2019/01/15 23:41:47 DSP thread pools disabled
  2019/01/15 23:41:47 Pipelined DSP enabled
  2019/01/15 23:41:47 Audio engine: network
  2019/01/15 23:41:47 Network Audio IPv6 support disabled
  2019/01/15 23:41:47 Discovery from 0.0.0.0
& 2019/01/15 23:41:47 Discovered network audio: name='MacBook-Air.local' version='Signalyst Network Audio Daemon 3.5.5'  @192.168.1.70:43210
& 2019/01/15 23:41:47 Discovered network audio: name='MacBook-Air.local' version='Signalyst Network Audio Daemon 3.5.5'  @192.168.1.70:43210
  2019/01/15 23:41:48  Network endpoint: Built-in Microphone (41)
  2019/01/15 23:41:48  Network endpoint: Built-in Output (48)
  2019/01/15 23:41:48  Network endpoint: HDMI (58)
  2019/01/15 23:41:48  Network endpoint: Hugo2 (62)
  2019/01/15 23:41:48 Discovered 1 Network Audio Adapters
  2019/01/15 23:41:48 Input set channels: 2 (2)
  2019/01/15 23:41:48 InputSDM packing: 1
! 2019/01/15 23:41:48 clPlayerDaemon::CreateEngine(): clHQPlayerEngine::Initialize(): clNetMiniEngine::Initialize(): adapter not found
- 2019/01/15 23:41:48 Network engine stopping...
% 2019/01/15 23:41:48 ...configuration reloaded
  2019/01/15 23:41:50 asoundlib version: 1.1.3
  2019/01/15 23:41:50 Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3 - HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 0
  2019/01/15 23:41:50 Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7 - HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 1
  2019/01/15 23:41:50 Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=8 - HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 2
  2019/01/15 23:41:50 Network Audio IPv6 support enabled
  2019/01/15 23:41:50 Discovery from ::
- 2019/01/15 23:41:52 Network engine stopping...
  2019/01/15 23:42:11 Web configuration written
  2019/01/15 23:42:11 asoundlib version: 1.1.3
  2019/01/15 23:42:11 Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3 - HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 0
  2019/01/15 23:42:11 Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7 - HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 1
  2019/01/15 23:42:11 Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=8 - HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 2
  2019/01/15 23:42:11 Network Audio IPv6 support enabled
  2019/01/15 23:42:11 Discovery from ::
- 2019/01/15 23:42:13 Network engine stopping...
% 2019/01/15 23:42:13 Reloading configuration...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

I didn't show you last time when you asked but here is what HQPe log side is showing. Does it give any clues?

 

The same Macbook running Windows NAA (Bootcamp) has no issues, with everything else in the chain staying same.

 

I noticed : "2019/01/15 23:41:48 clPlayerDaemon::CreateEngine(): clHQPlayerEngine::Initialize(): clNetMiniEngine::Initialize(): adapter not found"

 

That tells that the configured combination of NAA endpoint name and device id doesn't match with what is found.

 


Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Miska said:

 

That tells that the configured combination of NAA endpoint name and device id doesn't match with what is found.

 

 

Hmmm. So what can I try ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hmmm. So what can I try ?

 

You should be able to select a new device in the settings dialog... But it should be triggering the settings dialog at startup time in such cases automatically, asking to select another device.

 

Another option is to compare what is in HQPlayer settings.xml vs what is reported to have been found.

 


Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, need your help to understand which is the best solution for NAA in my set-up.

Currently, I have HQPlayer running on a MacMini and cubox with NAA image by @Miska.

I thought of a better hw solution for NAA and noticed that Jussi suggests Up Squared:

https://up-shop.org/home/179-up-squared-gatewaypentium-n4200-w8g-memory64g-emmc-boardwovesa-plate.html

My intention is to use Linux (please, consider this is my first time with this OS!) and it seems to me I have 2 options for Network Audio Daemon:

a)     Install  naa-3552-x64.7z  image (is it the right one for my Up shared?)

b)     Install  networkaudiod_3.5.5-39_i386.deb  

Is it correct?

About option 1) :

-        Do I have to install Ubuntu (or Ubuntustudio) first?

-        Has the image to stay on a USB memory stick or can be loaded in UP_Squared storage (eMMC 64Gb) ? How can I do that?

About option 2)

-        Do I have to install Ubuntu (or Ubuntustudio) first?

-        And then install Jussi’s Network Audio Daemon?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Massimo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mvilla said:

My intention is to use Linux (please, consider this is my first time with this OS!) and it seems to me I have 2 options for Network Audio Daemon:

a)     Install  naa-3552-x64.7z  image (is it the right one for my Up shared?)

b)     Install  networkaudiod_3.5.5-39_i386.deb  

 

Yes, although rather make that (b) the amd64 one instead (aka x86-64).

 

6 hours ago, mvilla said:

About option 1) :

-        Do I have to install Ubuntu (or Ubuntustudio) first?

-        Has the image to stay on a USB memory stick or can be loaded in UP_Squared storage (eMMC 64Gb) ? How can I do that?

 

No you don't need to install any OS, it is just like the image you already have on CuBox-i, but for different hardware.

 

You can dump it to the eMMC too, for that you need to have some live boot (Linux distro or something else) and the image on some storage(s) and then you can boot up and dump it to the eMMC.

 

6 hours ago, mvilla said:

About option 2)

-        Do I have to install Ubuntu (or Ubuntustudio) first?

-        And then install Jussi’s Network Audio Daemon?

 

Yes, exactly...

 

The package you refer to (in "stretch" folder) is for Debian 9 Stretch, not for Ubuntu though. Installing minimal Debian doesn't differ much from installing minimal Ubuntu Server.


Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Miska said:

 

option 1) :  using NAA image by Miska

option 2): Ubuntu studio server + Network audio daemon

 

 

Jussi, many thanks for your guidance.

Can you explain a bit the difference between option1 and option2?  Which is the advantage using the former vs the latter and viceversa?

Also, should I try HQplayer embedded (not now but later) on Up Squared , is it better to chose now option1 or option2?   

Massimo  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mvilla said:

Can you explain a bit the difference between option1 and option2?  Which is the advantage using the former vs the latter and viceversa?  

 

With option 1 you get custom realtime OS built for this purpose alone. And the x64 build runs entirely from RAM disk, so it is also very reliable even when sudden power cuts or anything happens. It is plug-and-play, so it is very easy but also very inflexible if you want to make any changes to the OS or install any other piece of software.

 

Option 2 is good if you want something different from what option 1 provides and you are familiar with Linux command line (you should never run any GUI on a NAA).

 

3 hours ago, mvilla said:

Also, should I try HQplayer embedded (not now but later) on Up Squared , is it better to chose now option1 or option2?

 

Choose the HQPlayer OS option! It contains base OS similar to option 1, but has both HQPlayer Embedded and NAA ready to use. If you want to use WiFi for NAA you should also use this option instead. Main difference to option 1 is that it runs from a normal filesystem instead of RAM disk, so you can properly save configuration changes and have for example local music library.

 

HQPlayer OS runs the two ethernet interfaces of Up Squared in bridged setup automatically.


Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Miska said:

 

Option 2 is good if you want something different from what option 1 provides and you are familiar with Linux command line (you should never run any GUI on a NAA).

 

Choose the HQPlayer OS option! It contains base OS similar to option 1, but has both HQPlayer Embedded and NAA ready to use. If you want to use WiFi for NAA you should also use this option instead. Main difference to option 1 is that it runs from a normal filesystem instead of RAM disk, so you can properly save configuration changes and have for example local music library.

 

HQPlayer OS runs the two ethernet interfaces of Up Squared in bridged setup automatically.

 

Thank you, Jussi.  In order to guarantee flexibility for future needs, I will follow option 2 then.

To recap key steps for option 2:

and when I want to try HQplayer embedded

Hope I understood it properly?

Just one doubt: as I wish I could use DSD256, is Up_Stored “powerful” enough for HQplayer embedded?

 

Massimo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mvilla said:

Thank you, Jussi.  In order to guarantee flexibility for future needs, I will follow option 2 then.

To recap key steps for option 2:

 

I believe there is no Ubuntu Studio Server at all. There's just one Ubuntu Studio (with GUI desktop). Instead you should take Ubuntu Server version 18.04 LTS (aka Bionic Beaver), not the newer short term release. After installing it, you should install either my custom kernel build, or alternatively Ubuntu's lowlatency-kernel.

 

When asked about partitioning, I recommend doing custom partitioning without swap. And when asked about what packages to install, select only SSH Server (useful for remote maintenance) and nothing else.

 

6 hours ago, mvilla said:

 

No, not arm64, but amd64...

 

6 hours ago, mvilla said:

and when I want to try HQplayer embedded

 

Please pay attention that you get the packages for Bionic...

 

6 hours ago, mvilla said:

 

This is mutually exclusive with all of the above, because there are the HQPlayer OS images...

 

6 hours ago, mvilla said:

Just one doubt: as I wish I could use DSD256, is Up_Stored “powerful” enough for HQplayer embedded?

 

With some/most -2s filters and modulators it may work, but Up2 is really on the edge there. So YMMV.

 


Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2018 at 10:30 AM, Em2016 said:

I am running NAA on the Allo USBridge via DietPi.

 

Do you have an NAA image for Sparky, so I can by-pass DietPi completely and just use your bootable image with the USBridge?

@Em2016, are you still running your Allo Bridge with DietPi? I am just dusting of my Allo Bridge running Allo's software and wanted to ask you if DietPi is better for an HQPE NAA? I remember Allo had trouble bricking some devices with their updates some time ago and don't know the current status.

 

I'm about to start testing and dablling with my fanless NAA and @Miska bootable images and AL and the Allo will allow me to compare and have a stable NAA as well.

 

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Roonlabs forum, in the Allo USBridge Board thread, there is a couple of posts talking about issues with DietPi + NAA on USBridge since the 1.6 upgrade. We'll see.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 2:13 AM, luisma said:

@Em2016, are you still running your Allo Bridge with DietPi? I am just dusting of my Allo Bridge running Allo's software and wanted to ask you if DietPi is better for an HQPE NAA? I remember Allo had trouble bricking some devices with their updates some time ago and don't know the current status.

 

I'm about to start testing and dablling with my fanless NAA and @Miska bootable images and AL and the Allo will allow me to compare and have a stable NAA as well.

 

Thanks

 

 

Hi, I didn't see notification for this. Apologies for delay.

 

Hardware design of USBridge is fantastic - low noise USB source. Problem is DietPi (for me) and running old Linux kernel (3.x still)

 

If hope there is a USBridge 2.0 (non Sparky) released, which can use one of Jussi's existing bootable USB NAA images - this would be ideal. Jussi's image on great hardware would be perfect (one day).

 

In terms of best HQP experience, Jussi's bootable images are numbero uno for me (unsurprisingly, as it's optimized for one thing only).

 

USBridge was mostly fine for me - if it's working for you, just don't ever do a DietPi update, unless you're prepared for things to go wrong and you need to do a clean install. Which means you need to open the thing and take the eMMC out etc.

 

I'm not aware of bricked units after DietPi updates - updates going wrong were fixed by clean installs, but it's a pain of a process.

 

I have the Jussi recommended UpBoard Gateway too, running his bootable USB image and it's great too. Flawless experience with HQP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

USBridge was mostly fine for me - if it's working for you, just don't ever do a DietPi update, unless you're prepared for things to go wrong and you need to do a clean install. Which means you need to open the thing and take the eMMC out etc.

 

I have read that the problems may arise from GUI updates. It seems that console updates work fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, acatala said:

 

I have read that the problems may arise from GUI updates. It seems that console updates work fine.

 

 

Good point. Yes the web GUI image version caused me and others most issues.

 

The normal Sparky image (on DietPi website under Sparky) has been better for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

 

Good point. Yes the web GUI image version caused me and others most issues.

 

The normal Sparky image (on DietPi website under Sparky) has been better for me.

 

 

I have ordered one USBridge (DietPi version) a couple of days ago, so I have not tested any yet. I guess, that even the USBridge preloads a GUI version, the console can be still used, right?

 

There is a procedure in Allo website that describes the steps to flash the eMMC with a new image.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, acatala said:

I have ordered one USBridge (DietPi version) a couple of days ago, so I have not tested any yet. I guess, that even the USBridge preloads a GUI version, the console can be still used, right?

 

Yes absolutely, you can do everything via ssh with the web GUI version. 

 

But I did a clean install with the non-GUI version which is available from the DietPi website. Just go to the Sparky download section.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, acatala said:

In the Roonlabs forum, in the Allo USBridge Board thread, there is a couple of posts talking about issues with DietPi + NAA on USBridge since the 1.6 upgrade. We'll see.

 

 

 

 

Yep I am posting on that thread, still working out to see what's going on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

 

Good point. Yes the web GUI image version caused me and others most issues.

 

The normal Sparky image (on DietPi website under Sparky) has been better for me.

 

That's what I needed to know, let me look for the procedure to reflash my Allo USB Bridge just with that image or find out how to remove the GUI

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, luisma said:

That's what I needed to know, let me look for the procedure to reflash my Allo USB Bridge just with that image or find out how to remove the GUI

Thanks

 

 

Just download the non-GUI version here. Burn image to eMMC card via etcher (WIndows and Mac).

 

1269041596_ScreenShot2019-01-25at12_12_41am.thumb.png.d4b0ce6be9a17e092e89d6c9e946d0b2.png

 

Then follow typical DietPi install instructions.

 

ssh [email protected] , password is dietpi

 

There will be a dietpi screen that comes up later to change the default password  (which you should change).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tested changing DSD rates and PCM etc. seems something's wrong with DietPi (Allo GUI version)

Just tested again, switched from DSD256 to DSD128 and DSD64 and same issue (Roon lost control of audio device)
Switched over to PCM384 and PCM128 same issue

Just with the NAA on DietPi not with the Intel one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Miska Jussi the way Roon - HQP operates in case of HQPWin and HQPE is it roughly the same in terms of buffers, controls etc.? or there are many differences?

 

Seems people with roughly the same config but Win instead of Linux are not affected with their Allo USB Bridge and the Roon control message errors

 

Maybe is not the networkaudiod at all but something else but just asking

 

Thanks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...