IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

15 hours ago, Miska said:

I think I have WiFi driver included, but not wpa_supplicant. I could maybe build some new NAA images...

I think that once you get into ARM territory, particularly with the numerous SBCs, that the number of NAA images you might need to supply would increase. My build of arbmian for the esspressobin uses the RT_KERNEL patches (and works fine ;) ), uses wpa_supplicant and I've loaded networkaudiod into the image ... 

all i have to do is set the SSID and password in the wpa_supplicant.conf file ... that said, you need to be sure firmware and drivers are loaded/compiled for the wifi card etc etc. ... so its not straightforward

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 hours ago, semente said:

Is a 100Mbps ethernet router enough for DSD256 or do I need get a gigabit-able one? I'm on a tight budget and thinking of getting this one:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/TL-R470T+.html

Many routers share bandwidth so the results would depend on whatever else is on the network. A small cheap 1gbs Ethernet switch would be fine. Switches typically maintain the full speed between connections. 

Where I live I can get this delivered today: D-Link 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch (GO-SW-5G) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PC1FYK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_suz6Bb8AVJX2Q

58 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Many routers share bandwidth so the results would depend on whatever else is on the network. A small cheap 1gbs Ethernet switch would be fine. Switches typically maintain the full speed between connections. 

Where I live I can get this delivered today: D-Link 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch (GO-SW-5G) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PC1FYK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_suz6Bb8AVJX2Q

Will this allow me to connect the NAS, MacBook Pro and Cubox or do I also need a router? (it's an audio-only wired network)

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Your cable modem or ISP etc typically installs a firewall router which keeps your home network private. You typically use this router as a DHCP server to hand out IP addresses to devices in your home. 

Within your home you just need an Ethernet switch. 

If you want to combine wired wired and wireless networks, then you typically use a wireless router which routes the Wi-Fi packets onto the Ethernet network. 

Thanks for putting up with me...

The college provides a wireless network but this local one that I am setting up is just for my music file playback.

I have a Netgear GS205 switch that I am setting up right now.

HQP Desktop isn't finding the Cubox/NAA but I am going to re-flash the image to make sure everything is as it should be.

16 minutes ago, semente said:

Thanks for putting up with me...

The college provides a wireless network but this local one that I am setting up is just for my music file playback.

I have a Netgear GS205 switch that I am setting up right now.

HQP Desktop isn't finding the Cubox/NAA but I am going to re-flash the image to make sure everything is as it should be.

Aha, ok that’s different. You need a wireless bridge if your local devices need internet access. Certain wireless routers can be configured in bridge mode.

13 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Aha, ok that’s different. You need a wireless bridge if your local devices need internet access. Certain wireless routers can be configured in bridge mode.

No, I only need to connect three things using Ethernet cables: NAS, laptop/HQP and Cubox/NAA. I don't need internet.

Sorry for the confusion.

The light on the switch isn't lighting up for the Cubox.

I've tried different cables and all ports.

This is what I am getting when I run "arp -a":

mybooklive.local (169.254.59.54) at 0:90:a9:38:3d:bd on en0 [ethernet]
? (169.254.255.255) at (incomplete) on en0 [ethernet]
? (224.0.0.251) at 1:0:5e:0:0:fb on en0 ifscope permanent [ethernet]

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Have you configured static IP addresses for each device e.g. 192.168.1.2 ?

what does ifconfig on the CuBox say?

I can change to static IPs on the laptop and NAS but I can't access the Cubox with ssh because I'm using Miska's image. I think I'll have to install Armbian but need to borrow a keyboard...

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, semente said:

I can change to static IPs on the laptop and NAS but I can't access the Cubox with ssh because I'm using Miska's image. I think I'll have to install Armbian but need to borrow a keyboard...

There are couple of ways to check things with my image:

- You can use serial console on it, if you have a laptop (normal microUSB cable and 115200,8N1 no hardware flow control as serial parameters)

- IIRC, HDMI out + USB keyboard also works.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Miska said:

IIRC, HDMI out + USB keyboard also works

Yes.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 hours ago, Miska said:

There are couple of ways to check things with my image:

- You can use serial console on it, if you have a laptop (normal microUSB cable and 115200,8N1 no hardware flow control as serial parameters)

I have the cable and a mac laptop but this looks too complicated..

13 hours ago, Miska said:

- IIRC, HDMI out + USB keyboard also works.

This look easier, I'll borrow a USB keyboard from the office.

• 4 weeks later...

I've finally snatched a keyboard from the office and connected the Cubox to the TV but I'm not getting anything...

I downloaded naa-355-cubox-i.7z, formatted the SD card in MS-DOS (FAT) / Master Boot Record, then installed the image using the following command:

sudo dd bs=4m if=/Users/ricardofranca/Downloads/naa-355-cubox-i.img of=/dev/disk1s1

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong...

On 11/7/2018 at 9:59 PM, Miska said:

armbian is a different thing. I've been using official Debian.

I think I've been using this one:

http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/

I am going to try installing Debian as per these instructions.

2 hours ago, semente said:

@Miska, which of these images should I download for use with Cubox/Debian, is it the latest armhf.deb?

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/stretch/

Those are the packages to be used with an installation ie $ dpkg -i ... (once you have a Debian installed and booted to command line) 

The cubox NAA image is in: https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

Those are the packages to be used with an installation ie $ dpkg -i ... (once you have a Debian installed and booted to command line) 

The cubox NAA image is in: https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, armhf is the right one for CuBox-i running Debian.

Thanks to both.

I think I must have fried my Cubox because the ethernet connection doesn't light up on the switch and the TV HDMI input gives a no signal indication.

It's back to the Raspberry for the time being...

25 minutes ago, semente said:

I think I must have fried my Cubox because the ethernet connection doesn't light up on the switch and the TV HDMI input gives a no signal indication.

It's back to the Raspberry for the time being...

How did that happen? Input is 5V DC, but other than that it shouldn't be too sensitive...

Have you tried with another PSU? There's usually some current peak at power up, so some PSUs could run into protection.

23 hours ago, Miska said:

How did that happen? Input is 5V DC, but other than that it shouldn't be too sensitive...

Have you tried with another PSU? There's usually some current peak at power up, so some PSUs could run into protection.

I've tried other PSUs with no luck. The optical out is lit but nothing else seems to work with your image, Debian or Armbian...

All that's left is the cable so I'm getting a new one.

Many cably reviews on Amazon complain that most cables can't deliver 1A, and this one I'm using came with one of my kids' toys...

I've ordered one that apparently does up to 3A.

The original wall-wart for CuBox-i4Pro is 5V 3A. So that is a good starting point. Usually the device takes most power when booting up. Sometimes if the PSU cannot give enough peak current, device goes into reboot loop.

I have so much 5V DC barrel power connector hardware that nowadays I just have 5V 6A power brick at hand all the time.