IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

On 3/4/2019 at 5:14 AM, Guf Gufler said:

After months of trouble free use I now have a problem.  I'm not sure if its related the the last couple pages of posts but here's my screen shot of the NAA 501179789_ScreenShot2019-03-03at6_45_24PM.thumb.png.94d7a1a5dd2b94b7a8bbd26f3901c65d.png

By any chance, has this Amanero been flashed with one of the newer firmwares intended for use with Linux?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

37 minutes ago, westside said:

Hi guys.

What could you advice to me like naa for hqplayer ?

Is it easy to install ?

Easy to use ?

I hope have an answer.

So please answer me.

At easiest it is just connecting DAC to it, booting it up and selecting it as output for HQPlayer.

But as usual, devil is in the details, so knowing a bit more about the particular use case would help.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

By any chance, has this Amanero been flashed with one of the newer firmwares intended for use with Linux?

No. nothing changed that I know of. My other system is flawless. I was changing back and forth from the pull down menu in hqplayer and then not able to connect. to the macmini NAA just the rendu. 

6 hours ago, Guf Gufler said:

No. nothing changed that I know of. My other system is flawless. I was changing back and forth from the pull down menu in hqplayer and then not able to connect. to the macmini NAA just the rendu. 

Possibly the Amanero firmware or driver has got messed up for some reason after multiple load-unload cycles.

That sudden "ASIO format selector not supported, assuming PCM" message indicates a problem with the driver.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

That sudden "ASIO format selector not supported, assuming PCM" message indicates a problem with the driver.

@Guf Gufler I've gotten that message on Win NAA when the computer just doesn't connect correctly to the DAC.  Sometimes I've had to do the "restart everything" routine to get proper listing/recognition of the PCM and DSD formats.  I have to have my Lampi DAC up and running, if using a REGEN or other get that started, and then start the NUC NAA.   You can look in the Windows Device Manager to see that Combo and Amanero are both listed, Amanero in the Audio Devices section and Combo in I think USB ports.  If all else fails I'd uninstall and re-install the Combo 384 driver.

31 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

@Guf Gufler I've gotten that message on Win NAA when the computer just doesn't connect correctly to the DAC.  Sometimes I've had to do the "restart everything" routine to get proper listing/recognition of the PCM and DSD formats.  I have to have my Lampi DAC up and running, if using a REGEN or other get that started, and then start the NUC NAA.

Same here. It happens quite frequently. Sometimes unplugging and replugging the USB lead to the DAC will solve it, but usually I end up rebooting NAA with HQPlayer closed on main pc and then re-open HQPlayer.

I have Ubuntu Server 18.04.2 successfully running via USB flash drive on my Mac Mini 3,1 (2009) with NAA 3.5.6 bionic running on it. I am running Roon Core on my iMacPro with HQP Desktop 3.25.3. I can see the NAA via IPV6 and IPV4. I have a Topping D50 connected via USB to the Mac Mini but I can't seem to be able to upsample PCM to DSD512. I can get playback at DSD256, but only if I enable SDM pack to DoP. However I thought I wouldn't need/use DoP in a Linix-based NAA. If I don't enable SDM pack in my preferences, I don't get DSD at all on playback as an option. What am I missing? The Topping D50 is listed as being able to play DSD512 native, so I don't know if it is my settings that are limiting DSD512 or the DAC.

2 hours ago, ABQMD said:

I have Ubuntu Server 18.04.2 successfully running via USB flash drive on my Mac Mini 3,1 (2009) with NAA 3.5.6 bionic running on it. I am running Roon Core on my iMacPro with HQP Desktop 3.25.3. I can see the NAA via IPV6 and IPV4. I have a Topping D50 connected via USB to the Mac Mini but I can't seem to be able to upsample PCM to DSD512. I can get playback at DSD256, but only if I enable SDM pack to DoP. However I thought I wouldn't need/use DoP in a Linix-based NAA. If I don't enable SDM pack in my preferences, I don't get DSD at all on playback as an option. What am I missing? The Topping D50 is listed as being able to play DSD512 native, so I don't know if it is my settings that are limiting DSD512 or the DAC.

You could try with my custom kernel from here to see if that enables DSD without DoP and thus also the higher rates.

Note that it doesn't boot by default, so in grub boot loader menu, select advanced and from the kernel list select the correct kernel after installing it. If it works as expected, you can make it the default option by modifying /etc/default/grub file and then running update-grub

I have following line there:

GRUB_DEFAULT="2>4"

This means option 2 from first menu level and option 4 from the second.

34 minutes ago, Miska said:

You could try with my custom kernel from here to see if that enables DSD without DoP and thus also the higher rates.

Note that it doesn't boot by default, so in grub boot loader menu, select advanced and from the kernel list select the correct kernel after installing it. If it works as expected, you can make it the default option by modifying /etc/default/grub file and then running update-grub

GRUB_DEFAULT="2>4"

I do already have your custom kernel installed: linux-image-4.14.99-jl+_6_amd64.deb

How do I get to the grub boot loader menu: before or after Ubuntu boots?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

GRUB_DEFAULT="2>4"

I do already have your custom kernel installed: linux-image-4.14.99-jl+_6_amd64.deb

How do I get to the grub boot loader menu: before or after Ubuntu boots?

Edit: OK, I have booted into your custom kernel and it allows me to choose DSD without the DoP setting enabled. However I get distorted sound via DSD512 (fine in DSD256) if I use the poly-sinc-xtr filter. If I use the poly-sinc-xtr-2s filter, it works great. I would have thought the iMacPro could handle the xtr filter without the 2s addition. What do you think, Miska?

5 hours ago, ABQMD said:

Edit: OK, I have booted into your custom kernel and it allows me to choose DSD without the DoP setting enabled. However I get distorted sound via DSD512 (fine in DSD256) if I use the poly-sinc-xtr filter. If I use the poly-sinc-xtr-2s filter, it works great. I would have thought the iMacPro could handle the xtr filter without the 2s addition. What do you think, Miska?

Seems like it doesn't have enough power for that case... What kind of CPU does it have?

I assume you have "Multicore DSP" set to "auto" (grayed)? You could also try it in "enabled" (checked). These two behave slightly different way and on edge cases it may make a small but critical difference. However it is impossible to determine upfront which one will be better in a particular case.

9 hours ago, Miska said:

Seems like it doesn't have enough power for that case... What kind of CPU does it have?

I assume you have "Multicore DSP" set to "auto" (grayed)? You could also try it in "enabled" (checked). These two behave slightly different way and on edge cases it may make a small but critical difference. However it is impossible to determine upfront which one will be better in a particular case.

It's a 3.2GHz 8-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz, 19MB cache. I do have Multicore DSP set to grayed and auto rate family enabled, but will try it enabled too.

So the last thing is to figure out how to edit and save the boot config so it automatically boot into the custom kernel. On my setup, the custom core is #5 on the option list for the kernels. Any help would be appreciated!

22 hours ago, kravi4ka said:

Irrational but I find this board good looking :) 

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/3/18/18271329/nvidia-jetson-nano-price-details-specs-devkit-gdc

Will it work as NAA?

Possibly that'll work just fine with the already existing Debian packages...

If you want just a board, there are couple of x64 based ones that work too:

https://up-board.org/up/specifications/

https://minnowboard.org/minnowboard-turbot/technical-specs (the dual core is enough for NAA)

Help Please

I have been using an OrangePi +2e for NAA successfully for a couple of years now. The boot disk became corrupted and I have flashed the Armbian 5.75 Debian Stretch 4.19.20 to a new Micro SD card. The OrangePi is up and running again.

Unfortunately I can not remember which of the HQPlayer NAA  .deb packages to install.

The OrangePi has an Allwinner H3 chip.

Thanks in Advance

Carl

35 minutes ago, Carl Mawer said:

Unfortunately I can not remember which of the HQPlayer NAA  .deb packages to install.

The OrangePi has an Allwinner H3 chip.

"armhf" should be the right architecture for that one. So latest version at the moment is this:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/stretch/networkaudiod_3.5.6-41_armhf.deb

Blast spoke too soon. HQPlayer keeps losing the device ( with NAA selected as backend in HQPlayer preferences the device box is empty)

Rebooting the OrangePi brings back the device temporarily. But play stops and the device connection has gone. Do you think this is something to do with the permission denied message in the screenshot of terminal above?

Couple of things are different from the set up that was rock solid before.

Under Backend there is now NetworkAudioAdapter IPV6 as well as NetworkAudioAdapter, Core audio and ASIO

When devices do show up there is OrangePIWaveIO (my DAC) and OrangePI audiocodec.

Could these "new" choices be associated with the Problems?

Thanks in Advance

Carl

6 hours ago, Carl Mawer said:

Do you think this is something to do with the permission denied message in the screenshot of terminal above?

I don't know, I install plain packages always though "dpkg" and not through apt which deals with package repositories, but I'm not sure how much it makes difference.

You could try running "apt install -f ; dpkg --configure --pending" or just "dpkg --purge networkaudiod" and reinstall with "dpkg -i".

Logs from NAA and HQPlayer side could tell more what is going wrong.

6 hours ago, Carl Mawer said:

Under Backend there is now NetworkAudioAdapter IPV6 as well as NetworkAudioAdapter, Core audio and ASIO

When devices do show up there is OrangePIWaveIO (my DAC) and OrangePI audiocodec.

Could these "new" choices be associated with the Problems?

On 3/23/2019 at 10:57 PM, Miska said:

I don't know, I install plain packages always though "dpkg" and not through apt which deals with package repositories, but I'm not sure how much it makes difference.

You could try running "apt install -f ; dpkg --configure --pending" or just "dpkg --purge networkaudiod" and reinstall with "dpkg -i".

Logs from NAA and HQPlayer side could tell more what is going wrong.

Hi Miska

Thanks taking the time to help me.

Installation using dpkg -i worked perfectly however with backend naa selected in HQPlayer preferences, devices show initially but are then lost during play. I have tried using older versions of armhf.deb that you provide with the same result.

I suspect that my Orange Pi +2e is beginning to fail.

Do you know if  http://www.orangepi.org/orangepipc2/

would work with the naa-356-x64 image that you provide?

Thanks

Carl