IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

2 hours ago, Miska said:

The original wall-wart for CuBox-i4Pro is 5V 3A. So that is a good starting point. Usually the device takes most power when booting up. Sometimes if the PSU cannot give enough peak current, device goes into reboot loop.

I have so much 5V DC barrel power connector hardware that nowadays I just have 5V 6A power brick at hand all the time.

The specs say "Power adapter specification: DC Jack 5.5mm 5V, Max 2A current".

I tried with several PSUs including an Audiophonics 5V/2A L-PSU and it didn't work. My only hope is the cable.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 12/8/2018 at 6:14 AM, jabbr said:

Those are the packages to be used with an installation ie $ dpkg -i ... (once you have a Debian installed and booted to command line) 

The cubox NAA image is in: https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/

You definitely want Miska's image. Installing Debian/armbian and getting NAA running on the CuBox is more fuss.

I hope along with you that you haven't fried the CuBox (I have my doubts that you did). Could also be something like not having HDMI output.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It's alive!!! I even saw the penguins on the TV and the light on the switch is on. The DAC acknowledged the NAA but HQP Desktop can't find it...

I've tried both fixed IP and DHCP.

Unfortunately I took the keyboard back to the office this morning but I will bring it home tomorrow.

The TV is displaying:

Network Audio Adapter 3.5.4 2.4.3 naa tty1

naa login: _

And this is the network info for fixed IP:

mybooklive.local (169.254.59.54) at 0:90:a9:38:3d:bd on en0 [ethernet]
? (192.168.1.113) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
? (192.168.1.254) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
? (224.0.0.199) at 1:0:5e:0:0:c7 on en0 ifscope permanent [ethernet]
? (224.0.0.251) at 1:0:5e:0:0:fb on en0 ifscope permanent [ethernet]
? (239.192.0.199) at 1:0:5e:40:0:c7 on en0 ifscope permanent [ethernet]
? (239.255.255.250) at 1:0:5e:7f:ff:fa on en0 ifscope permanent [ethernet]

If you have HQPlayer on Windows or Linux, I recommend trying with the "Network Audio IPv6" backend, it usually works better.

You can login as "root" to the image and run "ifconfig" to see if it has got IP address from DHCP. For IPv6 that doesn't even matter since it automatically sets up local IP.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you have HQPlayer on Windows or Linux, I recommend trying with the "Network Audio IPv6" backend, it usually works better.

You can login as "root" to the image and run "ifconfig" to see if it has got IP address from DHCP. For IPv6 that doesn't even matter since it automatically sets up local IP.

Unfortunately I am on a Mac.

I will login tomorrow with a keyboard.

23 minutes ago, Miska said:

Mac has a bit tricky IPv6 stack and that's why it is currently disabled. I believe I have a fix for it, but haven't got time to test it yet.

By the way, there's a new 355 image build for CuBox-i available with updated components.

Would it help if I were to use a router instead of a switch?

9 hours ago, semente said:

Would it help if I were to use a router instead of a switch?

Usual topology would have a switch connected to a router. And router would have DHCP server providing IPv4 addresses. So like a normal home network where router is providing internet connectivity and DHCP service. NAA doesn't need internet connectivity as such, but the router usually provides the basic network infrastructure.

Routers also have a built-in switch, but not necessarily a great one. Using a separate switch keeps NAA traffic away from router since packets travel only between the switch ports.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Usual topology would have a switch connected to a router. And router would have DHCP server providing IPv4 addresses. So like a normal home network where router is providing internet connectivity and DHCP service. NAA doesn't need internet connectivity as such, but the router usually provides the basic network infrastructure.

Routers also have a built-in switch, but not necessarily a great one. Using a separate switch keeps NAA traffic away from router since packets travel only between the switch ports.

Thanks.

This network will only serve the NAS, laptop and NUC so I thought it would make sense to keep it as simple as possible and reduce the amount of SMPSs. I'll try adding the router this evening, and will take home a keyboard to log into the cubox.

4 minutes ago, semente said:

I've run ifconfig

IMG_20181213_210402494_HDR.thumb.jpg.932fc6f1fca0b2676b15bf6633df7941.jpg

Local autogenerated IPv6 address, but no IPv4 address... NAA is not reaching your DHCP server.

Do you have NAA connected to your ordinary home network, the same you use for internet access?

This network will only serve the NAS, laptop and NUC so I thought it would make sense to keep it as simple as possible and reduce the amount of SMPSs. I'll try adding the router this evening, and will take home a keyboard to log into the cubox.

No need to worry about SMPS or such on a network...

I've added the router and it's now working perfectly!

Thanks.

Since I only use this network for wired audio connections can I use only a router, or is it better to use both router and switch?

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Local autogenerated IPv6 address, but no IPv4 address... NAA is not reaching your DHCP server.

Do you have NAA connected to your ordinary home network, the same you use for internet access?

I can't use the home/internet network because it's connected to the whole campus.

On 12/13/2018 at 4:42 PM, semente said:

I can't use the home/internet network because it's connected to the whole campus.

You might have ant a router/firewall with a built in switch. The ClearFog Pro is an example (and was used to develop one of the AMD versions of a popular firewall appliance) ... you’d need to configure IPTABLES to obtain IP address from the outgoing port connected to campus, do NAT and serve DHCP to your local network

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:51 PM, Jud said:

Measurements or it didn't happen!  :D 

/me runs and hides...

Seriously, very, very happy you've got it working.

It's all happening as you predicted... ?

7 hours ago, esldude said:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/12/measurements-intel-i7-pc-and-raspberry.html#more

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/12/measurements-raspberry-pi-3-b-as.html#more

Wonder what creates the effortless clarity?  My guess is the only electrical changes are in the organic components.  

1 minute ago, Em2016 said:

Hi @Miska

Is your RPi NAA image only for RPi USB audio output?

I tried it with an Allo DiGiOne HAT but couldn't get it to work.

Happy Holidays to you!

Happy Holidays!

It works with USB audio devices (not very recommended due to hardware design) and with HifiBerry things DAC+ and Digi+ and other components compatible with these. To enable I2S devices like HifiBerry DAC+ you need the edit the bootloader configuration as documented by HifiBerry. This can be done for example using regular Windows computer.

Hi all!

My first forum post ☺️

I'm struggling to get my RPI NAA (Signalyst NAA-355 image) node working with IPv4. I bet the answer to my question is somewhere to be found in this topic, but I fail 😯 Am I right in thinking that the image is configured for IPv6 only? I am running HQPlayer Desktop on a Mac (alongside Roon) and for some reason it is not seeing my NAA node. It seems from a couple of posts in this topic that Mac OS and IPv6 aren't playing along too well. After a bit of searching I added "ipv6.disable=1" to the cmdline.txt file but that didn't fly... My RPI skills are less than limited...

Thanks for any assistance!

Just updating after some troubleshooting... The problem seems to be related to running the RPI over a powerline adapter to my router/switch. The interface fails to establish a link. Strangely enough I can see packets arriving at my router/DHCP server and addresses being offered back to the client. I can also see packets leaving and entering the interface on the RPI. Without a link being established? (the link light flashes amber continuously). So nothing to do with IPv4 vs IPv6.

The odd thing is that my ropieee image works fine on the exact same setup/hardware 🙄. But I really, really want to get HQPlayer up and running as I much prefer the HQP sound over Roon...

If my problem rings any bells please give me some ideas to try... trouble shooting continues ☺️