IGNORED

OK, I tried hydrogen audio. It didn't go too well.

Take the easy option... Help the world and don't have kids. That way you only need two seats in the car (unless you have a dog then you need even more space but at least she doesn't need a DVD player!).

Eloise.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Take the easy option... Help the world and don't have kids. That way you only need two seats in the car (unless you have a dog then you need even more space but at least she doesn't need a DVD player!).

Eloise.

Plus there's all of the money you'll save...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

what I'm a little surprised about is that there seems to be so very little discussion about room acoustics on this forum which seems comparably a much more important influence than different cabling for instance. Why is that? Do all of you already have perfectly treated listening rooms so that it makes sense to concentrate purely on (even minuscule aspects of) your gear?

I think that's because it's something that few of us know enough about to discuss either intelligently or otherwise. It is important though. My HK 990 Integrated amp has a microphone, and microprocessor based room calibration software built-into it. When I followed the instructions, my room went from sounding just OK, to sounding spectacular. I suspect that some expertly placed room treatment would yield even better results, but I haven't a clue as to how to proceed. I suspect that few of us do.

George

Take the easy option... Help the world and don't have kids.

Eloise.

Well we all make our own lifestyle choices, but I would say that parenthood is by far the most personally gratifying thing that I have done. The Ultimate Narcissistic Indulgence, as I like to call it. Expensive little buggers, and that is one of the reasons that we only have one, but she is the beautiful treasure of our lives. Teaches me something every single day.

Apologies for sentimental OT post.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Eloise.

You're right there! I made the decision to stay single and childless when I was very young and it has paid me dividends all my life. My place is quiet, I can do what I want when I want, I don't have to think about school system quality, braces on kid's teeth, drug and alcohol abuse, I don't have to discipline unruly children and most blessedly, I don't have to listen to a nagging wife (or any other kind). I can get a lot more listening to music done, spend a lot more on the things I want including a succession of classic sports cars and I can travel everywhere whenever the mood strikes me. I can't think of anything that a wife and kiddies could provide me that can compete with that!

George

I can't think of anything that a wife and kiddies could provide me that can compete with that!

It's called LOVE ! Select the right partner, and you also have your best friend through thick and thin.

Companion animals are fine, but it's not the same, and they don't live as long as humans.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

You're right there! I made the decision to stay single and childless when I was very young and it has paid me dividends all my life. My place is quiet, I can do what I want when I want, I don't have to think about school system quality, braces on kid's teeth, drug and alcohol abuse, I don't have to discipline unruly children and most blessedly, I don't have to listen to a nagging wife (or any other kind). I can get a lot more listening to music done, spend a lot more on the things I want including a succession of classic sports cars and I can travel everywhere whenever the mood strikes me. I can't think of anything that a wife and kiddies could provide me that can compete with that!

evolution in action

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

It's called LOVE ! Select the right partner, and you also have your best friend through thick and thin.

Companion animals are fine, but it's not the same, and they don't live as long as humans.

Some of us don't need emotional love, don't even want it. To me companionship (even from pets) is a highly overrated commodity. I realize that most people are afraid to be alone and suffer from the profound melancholia caused by the lack of human companionship, but me? I've never experienced loneliness in my entire life. I have lots of friends, good ones, many I've known for more than 50 years, I cherish their friendship, but on my terms. At the end of the day, they go away, and I'm left in blessed solitude to enjoy my own company. Plus I have the satisfaction of knowing that I haven't contributed to the human overcrowding of this planet and when I go, I will subtract one mouth from this society; I will not have left a replacement. If more of us did that, we would have a lot less problems, both ecological, and economical.

George

I can get a lot more listening to music done, spend a lot more on the things I want including a succession of classic sports cars and I can travel everywhere whenever the mood strikes me. I can't think of anything that a wife and kiddies could provide me that can compete with that!

All those things are even better with a smart beautiful woman and a loving child. They enhance, not compete.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

All those things are even better with a smart beautiful woman and a loving child. They enhance, not compete.

Not to me they don't. I have but one use for a beautiful woman. Other than that, I have no need. And at my age, even that is academic. Imagine if I'd married one of the many beautiful young women I've had in my time. She would be neither beautiful nor young at this point...(and for that matter, neither am I).

George

Perhaps this says more than you intended.

My favorite along these lines came from Frank Zappa. After Peter Frampton issued an album whose single was the sappy "I'm In You" (lyric: I'm in you; you're in me...), Zappa called a halt to the nonsense by putting out a single entitled "I Have Been In You."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Not to me they don't. I have but one use for a beautiful woman. Other than that, I have no need. And at my age, even that is academic. Imagine if I'd married one of the many beautiful young women I've had in my time. She would be neither beautiful nor young at this point...(and for that matter, neither am I).

beauty is ageless and comes from within. There's something wrong with you're world view, so maybe things have turned out for the best.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

beauty is ageless and comes from within.

You keep on believing that if it helps you to get through your day, or if it helps you to rationalize some of the choices that you might have made in your own life.

There's something wrong with you're world view, so maybe things have turned out for the best.

As for me, my world view is just fine, thank you and I've always been the happiest man I know. And you are right in one respect, things have turned out for the best!

George

You keep on believing that if it helps you to get through your day, or if it helps you to rationalize some of the choices that you might have made in your own life.

As for me, my world view is just fine, thank you and I've always been the happiest man I know. And you are right in one respect, things have turned out for the best!

To each their own, of course. Karen is my lifelong best friend, lover, and the very most favorite person I like to be around. Doesn't mean we do not get on each other's nerves though. Just that we have learned how to live with each other without letting it create permanent wounds.

Fortunately for me, Karen is also a wonderful woman. It would be - annoying - to have to learn to be gay if she was a man! :) Of course, I meant that with humor, but on second thought, she would be worth it. (Grin)

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein