IGNORED

OK, I tried hydrogen audio. It didn't go too well.

Don

Feel free to start a new thread. (grin) ...

Actually, I just did. But not about DACs. I can't afford a new one right now, and I just get depressed pining for that which I cannot have...

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

Eagerly awaiting the list of non-defective DACs.

Especially those that use USB and perform to equally high levels of SQ no matter what type and brand of fully standards compliant USB cable is used.(other than supposedly the latest Phasure NOS DAC)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Especially those that use USB and perform to equally high levels of SQ no matter what type and brand of fully standards compliant USB cable is used.(other than supposedly the latest Phasure NOS DAC)

Supposedly the exaSound DACs too. Interestingly neither use UAC2.0 interfaces.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Feel free to suggest one. I didn't even suggest or imply that I'd provide a list.

Hi Don. I have no quibbles at all with the way you want to categorize DACs. It's not the same way I'd do it, but surely there's room for more than one way to do this in the world. Besides, we've chatted about this before in other threads, I have a good idea about at least one DAC you're thinking of, and it's a very well built DAC.

But notice it wasn't your comment I responded to, it was jriver's. It's *his* idea of what a non-defective DAC would be that I'm interested in. In particular, if he'd be willing to play along sufficiently to answer what is an admittedly loaded question (or two of them, actually):

- Do you (jriver) know of any non-defective DACs less expensive than the new Berkeley Reference?

- If so, do you then consider the Reference a rip-off?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

And your work shows it! Thank you!

I would consider myself objectivist, but instead of trying to disprove my own subjective observations I try to find ways to figure out objective methods that correlate with those subjective observations.

If I find that flowers smell better than shit, I don't immediately go and say that there cannot be a difference if both release same amount of molecules. And that the topic cannot be discussed because it has not been scientifically shown that flower molecules would be technically better than shit molecules.

If we would always stick to what has already been proven and is status quo, nothing would ever progress.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

- Do you (jriver) know of any non-defective DACs less expensive than the new Berkeley Reference?

In the unlikely event that you get an answer, you might not recognize the DAC they name - unless you are familiar with models sold in the land of make believe. :-)

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I think it's immature to complain about one forum on another forum.

it may be, but it is plain *stupid* to not discuss and understand why some other group of people supposedly interested in the same subject as this group of people, come to such different conclusions.

The Gasbag forums are, unfortunately, full of a lot of self-important "experts" who are deficient in the maths, and have unjustified faith in several different methods. To a far lesser degree, the same might be said of people here.

Yet people here seem to manage to get along, even with wildly disparate views.

People here even manage to learn from each other occasionally. Depending upon how much patience they have at any particular moment. I mean learn things other than how to be a member of what looks to be a hostile, belligerent, pseudo-scientific cult.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Now you can turn this from subjective to objective by obtaining bunch of DACs and measuring their output in different configurations. I've been doing that, while my primary focus is still on inspecting effectiveness of my DSP algorithms in real world situations.

A sensible path, easily defended, and likely to produce wonderful results. Not the only path by any means - many rivers flow from a single source and to the same sea. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

The Gasbag forums are, unfortunately, full of a lot of self-important "experts" who are deficient in the maths, and have unjustified faith in several different methods. To a far lesser degree, the same might be said of people here.

Yet people here seem to manage to get along, even with wildly disparate views.

People here even manage to learn from each other occasionally. Depending upon how much patience they have at any particular moment. I mean learn things other than how to be a member of what looks to be a hostile, belligerent, pseudo-scientific cult.

Agreed, tolerance is important. Another factor is that some forums/sites have an official philosophy that limits expression only to comments that are consistent with the dogma.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

What "maths" are they required to be proficient in?

I suspect you are just being a smart ass, but I'll give you a real answer. In any scientific endeavor, amateur or professional, one should at least be able to pass an EMT/ELM or the equivalent. That is, by the way, the *starting* point for any electrical engineering degree, and most other science degrees.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Beanbag being a smart arse ? Never !

He is the official Hydrogen Audio Ambassador to Computer Audiophile .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

IIn any scientific endeavor, amateur or professional, one should at least be able to pass an EMT/ELM or the equivalent. That is, by the way, the *starting* point for any electrical engineering degree, and most other science degrees.

-Paul

I have no idea what this is, FWIW.

You seem to attract them like flies to Shi'ite.

Shhh Louie, or I will give you a spray of Mortein.

And you in California? Or is it because I typed EMT vice EPT? :)

English Placement Test / Entry Level Math test.

Example: EPT/ELM Test Information - Admissions - CSU, Chico

Yep. I'm in California. I teach at University of California. I've conferred a bunch of Ph.D.s. I have 3 kids in the California public school system. I never came across this. Sorry. But then I never heard anyone say "maths" until I lived in Cambridge.

It is probably somehow built into the admissions requirements. I do know you have to have a year of calculus in order to declare a major in any of the sciences, and a statistic course. I assume it is more stringent for physics and engineering.

Unless we are talking about the level of math required to write filters or have a real understanding of them, I don't see math as having a lot to do with being able to contribute to conversations about digital audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Unless we are talking about the level of math required to write filters or have a real understanding of them, I don't see math as having a lot to do with being able to contribute to conversations about digital audio.

You mean that you don't need to know more than 2 digit to contribute to a digital conversation ¨-)

Yep. I'm in California. I teach at University of California. I've conferred a bunch of Ph.D.s. I have 3 kids in the California public school system. I never came across this. Sorry. But then I never heard anyone say "maths" until I lived in Cambridge.

It is probably somehow built into the admissions requirements. I do know you have to have a year of calculus in order to declare a major in any of the sciences, and a statistic course. I assume it is more stringent for physics and engineering.

That's common. Most Americans do say "math" (singular) instead of "maths" (plural). But when you consider that "maths" is short for mathematics and NO ONE ever says "mathematic", then you realize that "maths" is the correct usage. Not a big deal though.

George

I was surrounded by both Brits and Aussies, as well as a few New Zealanders and Japanese in my early professional life. Like those friendships, some of the verbal sayings "stuck." In visiting a few of their Colleges, I was also introduced to a non-American and non-Canadian style of study. Fortunately, that did not stick. :)

I had heard there was a lot of consternation in California about the insistence on using these tests, though they are not used for admissions. But you are the man in the spot and know more about that than I do.

I will rephrase and say that the basic human college student should have a good grounding in mathematics, for any technical or scientific major. Even if you give them a year to remediate any deficiencies.

P.S. I was not trying to pick on you, but when your kiddos get to be seniors in high school, I bet they will hear of them. They will laugh at them and breeze through them with no stress at all, but the will probably hear of them. They could probably pass them in 7th or 8th grade... :)

Robert A. Heinlein

Only a deluded person would think that someone with two posts ever on a forum is their ambassador.

Only a deluded person would keep defending them, knowing the feeling many CA members have about a forum with such strict censorship.( Rule No.8 for example)