IGNORED

OK, I tried hydrogen audio. It didn't go too well.

Only a deluded person would keep defending them, knowing the feeling many CA members have about a forum with such strict censorship.( Rule No.8 for example)

Only a delusional person would repeatedly post, in every thread he can find, his claim that two files with identical checksums played under identical conditions can sound different.

I will rephrase and say that the basic human college student should have a good grounding in mathematics, for any technical or scientific major. Even if you give them a year to remediate any deficiencies.

What other kind of students do they have ? Chimpanzees perhaps ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Be nice. He is just trying to make sure you don't feel excluded.

Does that mean that previously thought extinct Neanderthals like yourself, and ISIS members would be admitted too ?

Do they give away Professorships on the back of Kelloggs Cornflakes packets in the States ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Do they give away Professorships on the back of Kelloggs Cornflakes packets in the States ?

Having known Bill since he was a grad student and being very familiar with his research since then, I can attest that what he has achieved is well earned.

Also in a fit of insomnia ( an all too often affliction for me ) I looked at Hydrogen Audio and thought that most of the posts that I read ( admittedly a small sampling ) were rational, well-reasoned, and not stated in the foaming-at-the-mouth style that I was expecting based on the opinions about that forum that are oft-stated here. I plan to go back again to learn what I can, even when I disagree.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Having known Bill since he was a grad student and being very familiar with his research since then, I can attest that what he has achieved is well earned.

But his achievements there mean 5/8 of S.F.A. in the area of HiFI and Computer Audio , as distinct from general knowledge of PC operation. Neither does the use of a DIY Class D amplifier for general listening in conjunction with a Mac Mini without power supply improvements etc. , give me any confidence in his ability to hear the differences between cables and software programs that many other members report.

Just try going there and post something about listening to hires and thinking it might sound better than Redbook, and then give plauible explanations of why it COULDbe true...

Also in a fit of insomnia ( an all too often affliction for me ) I looked at Hydrogen Audio and thought that most of the posts that I read ( admittedly a small sampling ) were rational, well-reasoned, and not stated in the foaming-at-the-mouth style that I was expecting based on the opinions about that forum that are oft-stated here. I plan to go back again to learn what I can, even when I disagree.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Geez, I've been away for a couple of months and I had forgotten how rude and disrespectful some people on this forum are to each other.

Snowmonkey

How would YOU react if posts like post 126 were directed at you ?

BTW, if you are down in Sydney on the 11th or 12th of next month, I should be able to arrange an invite to the next scheduled listening session. The previous one managed to convince a Sydney E.E. that I wasn't delusional and won me a 12yo bottle of Scotch from a bet.

Alex

Geez, I've been away for a couple of months and I had forgotten how rude and disrespectful some people on this forum are to each other.

Yes, welcome back. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I agree about civility, and particularly about taking advantage of all opportunities to learn. I do think the civility is sometimes attained at the price of an orthodoxy that would not fit me well.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

confidence in his ability to hear the differences between cables and software programs that many other members report.

what I'm a little surprised about is that there seems to be so very little discussion about room acoustics on this forum which seems comparably a much more important influence than different cabling for instance. Why is that? Do all of you already have perfectly treated listening rooms so that it makes sense to concentrate purely on (even minuscule aspects of) your gear?

what I'm a little surprised about is that there seems to be so very little discussion about room acoustics on this forum which seems comparably a much more important influence than different cabling for instance. Why is that? Do all of you already have perfectly treated listening rooms so that it makes sense to concentrate purely on (even minuscule aspects of) your gear?

There have actually been quite a few such discussions, many in the Speakers and Headphones area of the forum. And there is also a lot of discussion of software DSP. For room setup, you might try looking back through bdiament and mayhem13's comments, and some of Barry Diament's posts on his own blog. There's also Jim Smith's book, which has been widely praised here.

Oh, there are a lot of well reasoned and interesting posts there. But there are a lot of fanatical posts there too.

OOften, hundreds of posts get deleted after a person is driven away. I will read stuff from there, but won't post anything. Saying anything there about hires for example, is like inviting certain ethnic groups to a pig picking... Likely to be insulting and provoke a violent result.

It is fascinating to watch that place operate. Like having a birds eye view of the inside of a cult. Lots of interesting things, as long as one avoids buying into the cult itself.

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Actually, DSP is almost a hot topic on here right now, and room acoustics have been thoroughly discussed for years. In fact, there is a whole section of the forum devoted just to that subject. Try looking at some of the topics in this section:

DSP, Room Correction, and Multi Channel Audio

I think there are about 20pages of topics there to explore.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Oh, there are a lot of well reasoned and interesting posts there. But there are a lot of fanatical posts there too.

OOften, hundreds of posts get deleted after a person is driven away. I will read stuff from there, but won't post anything. Saying anything there about hires for example, is like inviting certain ethnic groups to a pig picking... Likely to be insulting and provoke a violent result.

It is fascinating to watch that place operate. Like having a birds eye view of the inside of a cult. Lots of interesting things, as long as one avoids buying into the cult itself.

Paul

Exactly.

The current version of the thread in question has been edited beyond recognition. That was one of my objections. They were actually deleting my posts as fast as I could type them, and I actually thought it was a bb software glitch, so I reposted a couple of them, before I was threatened with banning. These were very mild, btw. Nothing like what Alex and I banter about.

I do agree, as a read-only site, it is a great resource.

If you kids don't stop fighting, I'm going to stop this car right now...

That was before cars with DVD players. Now it's "Hey, it's the Grand Canyon out the window!"

That was before cars with DVD players. Now it's "Hey, it's the Grand Canyon out the window!"

I guess the days of "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" are over.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull