IGNORED

JRiver Media Center on Mac

jriver

I have not tried this, what would be the benefit of this approach? My Mac Mini is currently a dedicated audio only computer and has been fairly stripped down in terms of unnecessary system processes.

Barr

Hi Barr,

On the jplay.eu forum there are Jriver users on the pc side that have had success in improving sound quality by using the Jriver streaming functionality and dual pc mode.

This allows for as few background processes and hardware as possible to run on the audio pc. Even programs like remote desktop, GUI JRiver will only run on the control pc.

Having experienced the big improvement that cutting background processes makes in a MacMini, this might provide a big improvement in Mac Jriver setup too...if possible.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Tranz. I tried this today. While I was able to configure JRMC 19 on two Macs, with one as the server and the other as the client (with client connected to DAC, server to NAS) I cannot for the life of me see much benefit at least from the Mac side as both Macs are running the full JRMC application. That being said, it is cool in the sense that if I wanted to have a second system in another room or part of the house I can easily stream from the primary JRMC server.

Regardless from what I can tell, it would appear that the PC implementation allows for a more streamlined server mode. Also truth be told, I struggle with the notion of putting two computers into the equation with the derivative being better audio quality.

But hey, what do I know?

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Hi Barr,

On the jplay.eu forum there are Jriver users on the pc side that have had success in improving sound quality by using the Jriver streaming functionality and dual pc mode.

JRiver does not recommend this. It's pointless.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

Hi stevebythebay,

This thread might help with making changes to OS. It was a big benefit in my setup.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/computer-audio-design-osx-audio-optimization-script-18128/index6.html

I have had a bear of a time getting a Mac to not sound fatiguing, so I am curious whether you hear a difference in audio between Amarra and JRiver Mac, especially concerning spatial cues.

Cheers

Please do not promote modifying the OS in this thread. Let the OS do the job it's supposed to.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

I had a weird problem..I was cleaning my iMac (Maverick) of old programs and junk files and discovered I could not trash MC18...I had no problem installing MC19 and it plays and sounds great (wish it had a rip CD function). I had to use a 3rd party software to remove 18....I also have the exact same issue with MC18 on my PC's. Once installed it is not going anywhere. Even as I type on this windows 7 PC MC18 remains in the machine as no 'uninstall' efforts have even the slightest success. 19 runs fine and sounds great????

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

That is odd, I just tried the same with an old copy of JRMC 18 as I have moved to JRMC 19. I was able to move to trash and delete the program (Mac). What was odd is that the Trash gave no visual indication of anything being in it, when opening the trash I saw the program and was able to delete it. Perhaps you had a file "locked" or "in use"? Did you get an error messages when trying to delete?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Thanks. Looked into using this script, but would rather know what it's doing and then play with each element on its own.

As for fatigue, I can't explain why that might be the case. I've not tested Amarra vs. JRIVER on my MacBook, so I cannot suggest how different these might be (and I'm not about to try, since I'm not willing to live with iTunes at all, nor willing to live without some library management).

Hi stevebythebay,

This thread might help with making changes to OS. It was a big benefit in my setup.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/computer-audio-design-osx-audio-optimization-script-18128/index6.html

I have had a bear of a time getting a Mac to not sound fatiguing, so I am curious whether you hear a difference in audio between Amarra and JRiver Mac, especially concerning spatial cues.

Cheers

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

That is odd, I just tried the same with an old copy of JRMC 18 as I have moved to JRMC 19. I was able to move to trash and delete the program (Mac). What was odd is that the Trash gave no visual indication of anything being in it, when opening the trash I saw the program and was able to delete it. Perhaps you had a file "locked" or "in use"? Did you get an error messages when trying to delete?

Nope...the PC acts as though no such effort had occurred...

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

lol, perhaps a better adherence to Apple GUI guidelines? I'm still trying to come to terms with the magnitude of options - its all a bit overwhelming.

Mjb, No offense, I just find your responses ironic. You say that JRiver on the MAC has too many options. So simple/boring is exciting, but feature filled/overwhelming is not exciting? Sorry, just a linguistic irony. Ignore me. :) I really do know what you are saying (if you're gonna be on a MAC, JRiver, act like a MAC). I think you will find the learning curve to be very acceptable. I have done a two-part audiophile beginner video screencasts (of the Windows product,which you point out, is very similar) in my JRivers tweak thread, which could help the learning curve and help you quickly determine if you wanna go forward. FYI.

lol, perhaps a better adherence to Apple GUI guidelines? I'm still trying to come to terms with the magnitude of options - its all a bit overwhelming.

JRiver kicks the crap out of iTunes for library management so I have no real problem with the appearance of the program but it would be great if Apple + C/V worked for copy/paste like every other application on the Mac. Please, JRiver, fix this.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

:)

It works here in text boxes on MC Mac. Is this what you mean, or something else? You might post on the JRiver forum and we could investigate more.

Hi Matt,

Neither Apple + C/V nor Crtl + C/V work on my Mac. The only way to copy/paste when editing tags is to right click in the box. BTW, the contextual menu says that the shortcuts are Crtl + C/V, not the more usual Apple + C/V.

Bug control for JRiver in OSX is behind that for JRiver for Win. I have both JR 19 versions and I've proved this with my new e28. The Windows version works flawlessly. The OSX Version crashes all the time playing DSD... and remains problematic with other playback. The OSX version is definitely not as stable.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Bug control for JRiver in OSX is behind that for JRiver for Win. I have both JR 19 versions and I've proved this with my new e28. The Windows version works flawlessly. The OSX Version crashes all the time playing DSD... and remains problematic with other playback. The OSX version is definitely not as stable.

Fortunately it has been very stable in my environment. Knock on wood. I use it primarily in my office going out to a Schitt Loki DSD DAC over USB from the same Mac Pro I work on.

I really do know what you are saying (if you're gonna be on a MAC, JRiver, act like a MAC).
Exactly. Preferences should be in the Application menu for example. Hopefully this will quickly mature.

I have done a two-part audiophile beginner video screencasts (of the Windows product,which you point out, is very similar) in my JRivers tweak thread, which could help the learning curve and help you quickly determine if you wanna go forward.
Thanks very much for the pointer :-)
JRiver kicks the crap out of iTunes for library management so I have no real problem with the appearance of the program but it would be great if Apple + C/V worked for copy/paste like every other application on the Mac. Please, JRiver, fix this.

I agree 100%. jRiver library management is superb.

Mjb,

I was not saying I concur..:)... just that I understood your Apple GUI standards perspective. Another school of thought is to standardize JRiver amongst platforms, so there is literally no learning curve going from one (Windows) to another (MAC OSX or Linux). I realize this goes against your Apple GUI standards, but then again Apple has had so many of its own products become MAC defaults that it has not had to deal with as many 3rd party integration issues. There are clearly tradeoffs galore here, and I guess I'm probably biased as a Windows JRiver user (former MAC A+ and PM user, iTunes way back when). The obvious argument for a more MAC-like paradigm is to win over those current MAC software player users. But if JRiver has found some clear advantages in designing it the way it sits today, maybe the money they save in multiple native platform design is spent in marketing to MAC users.

Let's put that school of thought out to recess - please!

The interfaces can be similar across different platforms, but imposing Windows style menus on an Mac is - well - horrible. The interface is actually one of the few things about JRMC that is not very good, at least on a Mac. It isn't bad under Windows. And some aspects of it, on both Macs and Windows are great.

But the little things are just grating. Thank goodness for JRemote! Now, if Jremote would just starting working right again on iOS 7- it won't stream ALAC or AIFF files, or anything else but transcoded MP3, to my phone anymore. Just crashes when one tries... (*sigh*)

-Paul

Mjb,

I was not saying I concur..:)... just that I understood your Apple GUI standards perspective. Another school of thought is to standardize JRiver amongst platforms, so there is literally no learning curve going from one (Windows) to another (MAC OSX or Linux). I realize this goes against your Apple GUI standards, but then again Apple has had so many of its own products become MAC defaults that it has not had to deal with as many 3rd party integration issues. There are clearly tradeoffs galore here, and I guess I'm probably biased as a Windows JRiver user (former MAC A+ and PM user, iTunes way back when). The obvious argument for a more MAC-like paradigm is to win over those current MAC software player users. But if JRiver has found some clear advantages in designing it the way it sits today, maybe the money they save in multiple native platform design is spent in marketing to MAC users.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

The interfaces can be similar across different platforms, but imposing Windows style menus on an Mac is - well - horrible. The interface is actually one of the few things about JRMC that is not very good, at least on a Mac. It isn't bad under Windows. And some aspects of it, on both Macs and Windows are great.

But the little things are just grating. Thank goodness for JRemote! Now, if Jremote would just starting working right again on iOS 7- it won't stream ALAC or AIFF files, or anything else but transcoded MP3, to my phone anymore. Just crashes when one tries... (*sigh*)

-Paul

I disagree here. I am a hardcore Mac user but I would rather have JRiver spend their resources upgrading the functionality of the program rather than making the GUI more Mac-like.

-Paul

I agree Paul that is not a school I would care to attend. My hope is this product leaves the beta stage and takes full flight as a Mac centric product. Very good as it is with great potential.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I disagree here. I am a hardcore Mac user but I would rather have JRiver spend their resources upgrading the functionality of the program rather than making the GUI more Mac-like.

The functionality should at a minimum be equal to the Windows version and the GUI designed to address it's intended users.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa