IGNORED

JRiver Media Center on Mac

jriver

View -> Display View will display a large version of the cover art.

But if I am not mistaken only the cover art and in the view example of a view I prefer I still have access to the controls for the player to make any changes I would like. This is only necessary or wanted if I am running with the display on my HDTV. If I am using JRemote (which I am falling in love with and might be the impetus for me to switch to JRMC as my primary player) that obviously isn't a concern or need. I like the large artwork displayed coupled with the information and control.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
On my system in Display View, I can see Stop, Pause, FF, RW displayed at top left corner of screen. Title of track, time elapsed, etc. are displayed at top.

Of course you are right and it must have been just too obvious for me. I was wanting a GUI interface but the functionality of the toolbar at the top is certainly there.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

After upgrading to MC19 and OSX10.9, I can no longer connect to the server using JRemote. I thought I would ask if anyone had gotten this working yet.

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

After upgrading to MC19 and OSX10.9, I can no longer connect to the server using JRemote. I thought I would ask if anyone had gotten this working yet.

Yes I have upgraded to both JRMC 10 and to Mavericks and am able to use JRemote with nary a hitch.

Maybe a setting needs to be re enabled in JRMC19?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Yes I have upgraded to both JRMC 10 and to Mavericks and am able to use JRemote with nary a hitch.

Maybe a setting needs to be re enabled in JRMC19?

Thanks, I will take a look tonight. I suspect something was reset during one of the upgrades.

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

I would in particular look in Tools->Options->Media Network

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that was it. It looks like the upgrade wiped out my settings, playlists, etc.

Thanks, that was it. It looks like the upgrade wiped out my settings, playlists, etc.

You can backup your library and settings in MC18 (File > Library > Backup) and restore in MC19 (File > Library > Restore).

Someday we hope to make this automatic on Mac like it is on Windows when you upgrade.

Matt Ashland, JRiver

You can backup your library and settings in MC18 (File > Library > Backup) and restore in MC19 (File > Library > Restore).

Someday we hope to make this automatic on Mac like it is on Windows when you upgrade.

Good point, I forgot to mention that, it seems like the upgrade to JRMC 19 was so long ago....

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Thanks for this very useful tip Matt!

• 1 month later...

Hello Paul!

I have been using JRMC since version 18 was released and I am now a daily user of JRMC 19. I use it with a Mac Mini, a Synology NAS for my music files and a USB based DAC.

I am now using it under Mavericks with the support for integer mode.

I use either screen sharing or the JRemote iPad application to control music playback.

I use it daily, and it has been very reliable for me. I love the music management capabilities as well, and the JRemote application.

Yes there have been occasional setbacks, i.e.when integer mode was first implemented but JRiver worked through those in about a week's time and the support was great.

They have since added other capabilities (JRMC 19 timeframe) to support features such as PCM->DSD conversion for those who prefer DSD playback with their DACs.

And I do like the fact that I can import most music formats easily into my library with JRMC, no added steps for FLAC or DSD files (such as proxies).

The configurability of view options is a plus in my book as well. As is the "auto import" function.

At this point in time I would not hesitate in recommending it. And yes I intended to keep supporting it.

I have used other players such as Audirvana and Pure Music, this is not intended as a slight at towards those applications. To each their own.

Barr

And is anyone using the dual computer JRiver setup: one for control and one completely stripped one for audio? The audio computer is connected to the DAC.

Cheers

I have not tried this, what would be the benefit of this approach? My Mac Mini is currently a dedicated audio only computer and has been fairly stripped down in terms of unnecessary system processes.

Barr

It's been almost a year not since the first release of JRiver Media Center (JRMC) on the Mac...

Can you share with us if it has been a successful product for you, and if you intend to keep on supporting it? :)

Yes and yes.

JRiver had its best year ever. Thanks to everyone here that has supported us.

Matt Ashland, JRiver

Oops! I didn't realize the question was intended for the JRiver folks, silly me....

Your answer was great! Thanks for the kind words.

Also, I'm sorry about the setbacks. It's been a huge undertaking for us to support cross-platform. Things haven't always gone as smoothly or quickly as I'd like, but I'm also proud of what we've accomplished.

This next year should see a lot more good stuff for MC Mac :)

Matt Ashland, JRiver

So Guys....

It's been almost a year not since the first release of J. River Media Center (JRMC) on the Mac...

Can you share with us if it has been a successful product for you, and if you intend to keep on supporting it? :)

-Paul

Support it? It would be nice if the finished it so that paying customers were not required to continue to use beta software.

It seems to me they should finish what they have started before they focus on porting to other operating systems.

I've been using JRMC with my current system, initially using Windows 8 on a CAPS Lagoon. I'd been using a Mac Mini with Amarra but that was such a troublesome player, I took the leap to Windows. When the SoTM board in the Lagoon died, I was forced to change, awaiting a replacement.

But during the inter-rum I decided to use a MacBook Pro from early 2011, and the newly released JRMC for Mac with Mountain Lion. Boy what a difference. A clear leap forward. I've no idea why this solution is sonically far superior (I'm guessing its the hardware and OS X drivers that's at the heart of the matter). JRiver with JRemote are great.

My only concern is not knowing what changes to make in the OS and JRiver to obtain the best possible sound. I am using the newly available integer mode with Mavericks. Just not sure what changes are appropriate for Mavericks or specific things to use in JRMC.

All I can say at this point is I don't see anything out there in the computer space I'd rather use for playback. That may change, of course, but I'm going to continue to support JRMC.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Support it? It would be nice if the finished it so that paying customers were not required to continue to use beta software.

It seems to me they should finish what they have started before they focus on porting to other operating systems.

Funny you say that. Quite frankly, it does nearly everything I'd want (except sync iOS devices) but I just simply use it to organize a very large library and playback all types of files. Oh, 2xDSD on the fly is schweeet too.

I'm continually amazed at how much time people have to organize to the nth degree. I simply like everything on my NAS and it can playback easily from the main library or a playlist.

I'm sure I'm missing something but I don't know what else it doesn't do that would be nice. As far as beta goes, if there is an issue speak up on their website and it gets fixed. Honestly, it's pretty stellar. John & Matt both make themselves available on the forum (Interact) and by email. As far as software companies go, that's all that one can ask for IMO.

If you haven't had the chance to browse Interact, I'd highly recommend you do. There is a TON of knowledge there that is more than willing to help. I think it's also important to not forget that Interact might be JRiver's first priority then it's all these other forums. So, you're best to post there first even though this forum might be your usual favorite audio site.

JRiver Media Center 19 for Mac

JRiver, if I've said anything wrong, please do correct me. :-)

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

My only concern is not knowing what changes to make in the OS and JRiver to obtain the best possible sound. I am using the newly available integer mode with Mavericks. Just not sure what changes are appropriate for Mavericks or specific things to use in JRMC.

All I can say at this point is I don't see anything out there in the computer space I'd rather use for playback. That may change, of course, but I'm going to continue to support JRMC.

Hi stevebythebay,

This thread might help with making changes to OS. It was a big benefit in my setup.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/computer-audio-design-osx-audio-optimization-script-18128/index6.html

I have had a bear of a time getting a Mac to not sound fatiguing, so I am curious whether you hear a difference in audio between Amarra and JRiver Mac, especially concerning spatial cues.

Cheers