IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

I found my issue!

The flash drive I was using was 128gb, I guess the PS3 doesn't recognize that. I used an 8gb one and was able to load the custom firmware. I will try loading the SACD ripper tonight.

Thanks

Ray

The PS3 uses FAT32 format, limited to 32GB, so that's the size USB pen drive I use. Don't ever rip more than 32GB by accident, however, all the ISOs already on the USB pen drive may get/be damaged as a result (happened to me more than once, just continued ripping, brain like a sieve…).

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Yes, when ripping to your USB thumb drive realize two things:

1) a 4GB+ ISO will be split by the ripper and you'll want HJSPLIT (free app) to combine them on your pc later

2) a multi-disc SACD often does NOT name each disc in the table of contents/title (i.e thy may all have same title), so don't let disc two OVER-WRITE disc 1. What I usually do is move on to other albums, then after about 6 or so, pull the USB stick and move/delete the files off it. Then rename the disc one ISO with a "(disc 1)" suffix and prepare to rip disc 2 (and so on).

• 1 month later...

just an fyi to any and all interested,

While waiting for MrWicked's better hardware solution to become real, the BD drive on my old PS3 started to fail...searched for local fixit shops but given that probable cost found instead a seller on eBay that delivered an sacd-ripper capable unit for $200...ordered Friday delivered Tuesday w/free shipping...

Had to do the custom firmware and ripper pkg installs but it's all good...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141819938559

rikm

just an fyi to any and all interested,

While waiting for MrWicked's better hardware solution to become real, the BD drive on my old PS3 started to fail...searched for local fixit shops but given that probable cost found instead a seller on eBay that delivered an sacd-ripper capable unit for $200...ordered Friday delivered Tuesday w/free shipping...

Had to do the custom firmware and ripper pkg installs but it's all good...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141819938559

The link you provided doesn't work.

The link was missing the colon after http:

Sony PlayStation 3 60GB Piano Black PLAYS PS3 PS2 SACD CECHA01 3.55 OFW #2

I'd like to give SACD ripping a try. Local ads for PS3's don't seem to include their firmware version. I had to give instructions to one seller on how to find out. That seller had done all the updates so no go. Wouldn't most PS3's owners have updated regularly? Are there many units out there that haven't been? Or was 3.55 fairly recent?

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I'd like to give SACD ripping a try. Local ads for PS3's don't seem to include their firmware version. I had to give instructions to one seller on how to find out. That seller had done all the updates so no go. Wouldn't most PS3's owners have updated regularly? Are there many units out there that haven't been? Or was 3.55 fairly recent?

3.55 is old. There will be relatively few people who haven't updated (folks who haven't used their PS3s in years, or who haven't connected them to the Internet in years if they did use them).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3.55 is old. There will be relatively few people who haven't updated (folks who haven't used their PS3s in years, or who haven't connected them to the Internet in years if they did use them).

There are plenty of 3.55 or older units on eBay. They often fetch a pretty penny since they allow playing "backup copies" of games, but with a little hunting, you can find them for a reasonable price.

Thanks. I just bought one of them.

Couple hundred is a pretty decent price these days.

**Words of advice**: Sony built these things without adequate cooling. Running these for any considerable length of time will make them heat up and quite possibly die.

So:

- Rip one disc in a session. (At the very most two if you've got a two-disk set.)

- Make sure ventilation openings are free from dust and keep them that way.

- Find a reasonably powerful desk fan to blow through those openings while the machine is on.

(Re the latter, I got a unit from Jason at northeastohiopcs in which he installed an internal adjustable ventilation fan. I turn it all the way up, so whenever I use it, it sounds like a jet taking off, but I'm a lot more sanguine about the unit surviving.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks Jud & Mansr. That explains it. I guess if I could be more patient, another option would be to wait for Mr. Wicked's units.

At this point, the best option seems to be keeping an eye on ebay. If you're adventurous, you can pick up a "yellow light of death" unit for cheap and attempt to bake it yourself. You'll find instructions for doing it on the internet.

Couple hundred is a pretty decent price these days.

**Words of advice**: Sony built these things without adequate cooling. Running these for any considerable length of time will make them heat up and quite possibly die.

So:

- Rip one disc in a session. (At the very most two if you've got a two-disk set.)

- Make sure ventilation openings are free from dust and keep them that way.

- Find a reasonably powerful desk fan to blow through those openings while the machine is on.

Yes, it is a back-up to the one I have been using and to hold me until Mr. Wicked's new ripper appears. Mine runs all day but it sits, unenclosed, in front of an open window. The heat differential between the vented air and ambient temperature is barely detectable and the differential between the intake temperature and ambient is similarly small but, of course, in the other direction.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I guess the "Northeastohiopcs" member that used to sell them is not around anymore?

I bought mine from him with an adjustable hi speed fan built in.

Sonictransport  i9, DCS Bartok Apex DAC/Streamer

REL Acoustics S/510 Sub Woofer

Audionet Watt Integrated Amp - Vivid Audio Kaya 45 loudspeakers

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been ripping several SACDs, using ted_b's guide.

However, ISO2DSD (v6 or v7) crashes with the Pentatone album "Mozart Clarinet concert in A, K.622, Clarinet quintet in A, K.581" (PTC 5186 048, DSD).

ISO2DSD gets through "Disc information", "Album information", "Area count" and "Exporting CUE sheet" but crashes when it gets to "Processing".

The disc plays fine, on my MSB UMT, so it should be ok.

I tried ripping again, with no succes.

Then I ripped one of my other SACD's. ISO2DSD sailed right through this ISO file without problems.

I tried all ISO2DSD options and managed to get a DFF-file which I have tried converting using Jriver and Signalyst DFF to DSF (only Jriver managed the conversion). This results in a multichannel file that I can't use, so I don't know if it is actually working.

Has anyone experienced problems with this album or other Pentatone albums?

Could it somehow be copy protected or am I doing something wrong?

I'm out of ideas but would really like to stream the album like I do with my other SACD's.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards[br]Martin

The most troubling SACDs for ripping are some of the Pentatones. I know personally that they often include VERY very long track or album names (often even artist names) in their TOC metadata, it could well be the length of the path, especially if your path is long to begin with (i.e nested folder namess in nested drive names). I also could be some foreign character, since the literal number of characters is so high, a foreign one may cause issues, but my bet is the path is too long. Try renaming the ISO to something very short, then make sure your work area (destination folder) is not too nested (i.e so your path doesn't look like c://documents/my stuff/my music/SACD ISOs/ripped multichannel/Academy of St Martin In The Fields and Academy of St Martin In The Fields Chamber Ensemble, Andrew Mariner - clarinet, Mozart Clarinet in A K.622Clarint quintet in A K.581, 01-Clairinet Quintet Allegro.dsf).

I just ran Bogi's ISO2DSF (config'd for multichannel extraction) on this exact ISO and it finished fine, producing 7 tagged multichannel DSF files.

ISO2DSF example.jpg

I just ran Jesus's ISO2DSD GUI (Windows) in multichannel and it completed fine, too.

ISO2DSD example.jpg

The most troubling SACDs for ripping are some of the Pentatones. I know personally that they often include VERY very long track or album names (often even artist names) in their TOC metadata, it could well be the length of the path, especially if your path is long to begin with (i.e nested folder namess in nested drive names). I also could be some foreign character, since the literal number of characters is so high, a foreign one may cause issues, but my bet is the path is too long. Try renaming the ISO to something very short, then make sure your work area (destination folder) is not too nested (i.e so your path doesn't look like c://documents/my stuff/my music/SACD ISOs/ripped multichannel/Academy of St Martin In The Fields and Academy of St Martin In The Fields Chamber Ensemble, Andrew Mariner - clarinet, Mozart Clarinet in A K.622Clarint quintet in A K.581, 01-Clairinet Quintet Allegro.dsf).

I just ran Bogi's ISO2DSF (config'd for multichannel extraction) on this exact ISO and it finished fine, producing 7 tagged multichannel DSF files.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22714[/ATTACH]

I just ran Jesus's ISO2DSD GUI (Windows) in multichannel and it completed fine, too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22717[/ATTACH]

Thank you very much, for your swift reply.

However, I still cannot get the extraction to work.

I renamed the file M C.iso, placed it on the desktop and moved the ISO2DSD folder to the desktop as well. Both dual and multi fail (I'm looking for dual).

You mention metadata. When you suggest changing the file name, do you mean editing the metadata?

If so, which program are you using?

Crash.JPG

Best regards[br]Martin

The PS3 uses FAT32 format, limited to 32GB, so that's the size USB pen drive I use. Don't ever rip more than 32GB by accident, however, all the ISOs already on the USB pen drive may get/be damaged as a result (happened to me more than once, just continued ripping, brain like a sieve…).

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

That is good advice. OTOH, I use the web method so that I can rip ISOs of any size and not bother with naming and file concatenation. In fact, I can run multiple PS3s simultaneously through one PC to a 2Tb portable drive.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

... I renamed the file M C.iso, placed it on the desktop and moved the ISO2DSD folder to the desktop as well. Both dual and multi fail (I'm looking for dual).

"Desktop" is not a good place to start out, as it is already a long path till you reach the files you would like to get extracted.

It will look like: C:/User/Name/Desktop/SACDextract/

Try puting your files directly on the root i.e. C:/SACDextract/

Or you can try "sacd_extract-gui", which alows custom filepaths for input and output files.

Link: sacd_extract-gui download | SourceForge.net

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Thanks ted_B and Synfreak

Using C:\rip for both the ISO-file AND the ISO2DSD files did the trick (it failed using the original ISO2DSD folder.

I'm not sure if your advice is in the latest ripping guide. If not, it might be a good idea.

I know it has been very helpful to me - I would never have guessed.

Thanks again (annoying the neighbours streaming Mozart).

Best regards[br]Martin