IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Hi,

Finding a PS3 with SACD functionality is not a problem but the FW version requirement (3.41 or 3.55) is not an easy task.

According to

PS3 4.70 Downgrade to 3.55 |

it should be possible nowadays to go back to 3.55 easily. Is it true?

(I am sorry if this question was posted before.)

It requires a hardware mod/hack. Some here have done it and it's cost them like $100 for the mod. Not sure anymore where the modders are, though. Jason at northeastohiopcs hasn't shown lately.

It requires a hardware mod/hack. Some here have done it and it's cost them like $100 for the mod. Not sure anymore where the modders are, though. Jason at northeastohiopcs hasn't shown lately.

Jason did not reply to my email, so I assume he no longer offers the service. I ordered from:

http://www.ebay.ca/usr/astig1215?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Thanks to whomever suggested this source on this thread. My PS3 has shipped and should arrive in a few days.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Thank you for your comments. I found a PS3 with correct FW version (3.41) and will follow the standard procedure (SACD ripping guide). But according to the website mentioned there is no need anymore for hardware modification. See it as a hint for those who own such a (useless for SACD ripping) machine.

Hi,

Finding a PS3 with SACD functionality is not a problem but the FW version requirement (3.41 or 3.55) is not an easy task.

According to

PS3 4.70 Downgrade to 3.55 |

it should be possible nowadays to go back to 3.55 easily. Is it true?

(I am sorry if this question was posted before.)

Ted are you sure a physical hardware mod/hack is still necessary? According to above site this looks no longer necessary and if not means prices for a suitable PS3 will be considerably lower. Can someone try it and verify.

Ted are you sure a physical hardware mod/hack is still necessary? According to above site this looks no longer necessary and if not means prices for a suitable PS3 will be considerably lower. Can someone try it and verify.

It looks too good to be true... I guess it works for an already downgraded console only.

I'd say that ted_b is the expert on this topic. If you choose to believe a different source, let us know how it work out:)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

It looks too good to be true... I guess it works for an already downgraded console only.

Thank you for your comments. I found a PS3 with correct FW version (3.41) and will follow the standard procedure (SACD ripping guide). But according to the website mentioned there is no need anymore for hardware modification. See it as a hint for those who own such a (useless for SACD ripping) machine.

I'd say that ted_b is the expert on this topic. If you choose to believe a different source, let us know how it work out:)

you still have to hardware patch the NAND chips to install either 3.55 via fsm (this will mess up bluray film play back (although I do have a fix for this))

or

patch for 4.50 and use rogero 999 downgrader to get to 3.55

on a side note I have re-signed the sacd-Ripper.pkg to work on all cfw versions so you no longer need to be on 3.55 for it to run

but I'm still working on permissions for lv1 access

there is still no software only way to get to 3.55 from 3.56+ consoles

I have a full guide on how to do this on ps3hax

or

and if anyone in the uk wants there's doing for them then I do offer this service.

Thanks for all feedback, the website i have mentioned before should be regarded as spam in other words. Unfortunately when my '3.41' PS3 arrived it appeared to have '4.76' firmware. Just before packing the seller has given it a reset with internet connected, we both believe that this is the cause. So when you buy a PS3 warn the seller about this.

@bailyscream: I sent you a PM about the hardware modification.

Newbie question: I just received my PS3 ver 3.55, purchased from eBay. When I go into System Update, it copies the firmware file just fine. However the PS3 does not restart as it says it should. It just turns off. When I turn it back on there is no opportunity to install the previously copied file. I also tried the install in Recovery Mode, but the same thing happens: It copies and then doesn't restart. Any ideas?

I PM'd Ted but I just realized he is probably at CES so I thought someone on this forum may have the answer.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Newbie question: I just received my PS3 ver 3.55, purchased from eBay. When I go into System Update, it copies the firmware file just fine. However the PS3 does not restart as it says it should. It just turns off. When I turn it back on there is no opportunity to install the previously copied file. I also tried the install in Recovery Mode, but the same thing happens: It copies and then doesn't restart. Any ideas?

I PM'd Ted but I just realized he is probably at CES so I thought someone on this forum may have the answer.

It should "prepare for install" then re-start and install

Are you sure it has not installed it

Do you have "install package files" folder in the game Column

If not then start the update again and let me know at what % does the transfer get to before it jumps to 100% to restart

If not then start the update again and let me know at what % does the transfer get to before it jumps to 100% to restart

There is no "install package file" in the game column. Perhaps I wasn't in Recovery Mode. I tried again this morning but the PS3 wouldn't recognize the connected controller. I purchased a generic controller since the PS3 didn't come with one. I'll see if I can find an actual PS3 controller and try installing in Recovery Mode again.

I made another trip to a game store and purchased a Sony controller. Unlike the generic PS3 controller, this one allowed access to the Recovery Mode, and I was able to install the firmware.

One more question. In the Install Package Files there were two items: ._sacd-ripper.pkg and sacd-ripper.pkg. I installed the latter successfully. Was this correct?

I made another trip to a game store and purchased a Sony controller. Unlike the generic PS3 controller, this one allowed access to the Recovery Mode, and I was able to install the firmware.

One more question. In the Install Package Files there were two items: ._sacd-ripper.pkg and sacd-ripper.pkg. I installed the latter successfully. Was this correct?

Do you have a Mac? Having two files like that, one with "._" at the beginning seems like what happens when a folder/directory has been opened on a Mac or even just mounted on a Mac - the Mac will put an invisible file in the folder, made invisible by the leading period in the name - but other operating systems will show that file.

Yes I did download the files to a Mac. Thanks for the explanation. I'm obviously out of my depth here.

Looks like I'm good to go. Before I start churning out ISO files, I want to make sure I don't get the "yellow light of death". I removed the top cover of my PS3, and the cover below, with the card reader attached. I haven't checked yet if it will operate without the card reader. Assuming the PS3 operates without it, should this be enough to keep the unit cool, without changing fans?

I've been collecting SA-CD since 2009, and so far I've amassed slightly more than 50 titles in this well thought-out collection. Had the DSD files been available in 2009, that's what I would have been collecting instead.

I will no longer purchase SA-CD, but focus on DSD files instead as I no longer have space for physical media. Frankly though, I've been reading through the last few pages of this thread and I'm more confused now than ever. It now seems ripping my SA-CD collection, which is something I've wanted to do for quite awhile, is an exercise in futility. By confused, I mean it seems the rules to do so have changed and no one seems willing to document the new rules.

Would someone care to document those new rules?

I would love to my complete collection on a single hard-drive. Both 2-channel and multi-channel DSD files.

Please.

As has been mentioned previously in this thread, to be cautious about overheating and suffering the YLOD, it is probably best to rip no more than a couple of SACDs before allowing the PS3 to completely cool down.

FWIW, when I had mine I never removed covers or changed the fan, but I did follow the foregoing procedure and had no problems.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

As has been mentioned previously in this thread, to be cautious about overheating and suffering the YLOD, it is probably best to rip no more than a couple of SACDs before allowing the PS3 to completely cool down.

FWIW, when I had mine I never removed covers or changed the fan, but I did follow the foregoing procedure and had no problems.

That's reassuring. Since I've gone to the trouble, I'll leave the two covers off, for some extra comfort. I ripped my first SACD successfully, converted the ISO to DSF files. It was so great to actually hear music after all the frustrations getting to this point.

I didn't find the unit cooled down much after ripping. Do you power down your PS3 right after ripping, or is it supposed to be like a projector (where the fans run for a while after the lamp is off)?

Frankly though, I've been reading through the last few pages of this thread and I'm more confused now than ever. It now seems ripping my SA-CD collection, which is something I've wanted to do for quite awhile, is an exercise in futility. By confused, I mean it seems the rules to do so have changed and no one seems willing to document the new rules.

Would someone care to document those new rules?

I would love to my complete collection on a single hard-drive. Both 2-channel and multi-channel DSD files.

Please.

It's not an exercise in futility. It does take some persistence and there is definitely a learning curve if you haven't used a PS3 before, and it doesn't come with a controller or cables, like mine. Make it easy on yourself and buy a PS3 with the ripping software installed. Apparently you can do that from Jason: [email protected]

Hi -

I've been a 'happy' ripper for the past month without any issues using a USB drive between the PS/3 and my iMac.

I recently tried using the network mode. While ripping did begin, it was WAY SLOW. Something like .01Mb every 30 seconds. Naturally I killed it and went back to my USB drive.

Is this normal? I'm in IT and will try to troubleshoot this during the coming weekend. Just wanted to throw this out to see if anyone else has encountered very slow network ripping.

Thanks!

Paul

Thanks,

PJ

21.5"iMac Audirvana+ -> Benchmark DAC2 HGC -> Adcom 5500,5300 -> Von Schweikert VR-4

That's reassuring. Since I've gone to the trouble, I'll leave the two covers off, for some extra comfort. I ripped my first SACD successfully, converted the ISO to DSF files. It was so great to actually hear music after all the frustrations getting to this point.

I didn't find the unit cooled down much after ripping. Do you power down your PS3 right after ripping, or is it supposed to be like a projector (where the fans run for a while after the lamp is off)?

The PS3's own fans are pretty underpowered IMO. You might think about getting an external fan to cool it while running and shortly after.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The PS3's own fans are pretty underpowered IMO. You might think about getting an external fan to cool it while running and shortly after.

+1

I bought a little 4" external fan that I use for this exact purpose (I typically rip in bursts of 4 SACDs).

Thanks,

PJ

21.5"iMac Audirvana+ -> Benchmark DAC2 HGC -> Adcom 5500,5300 -> Von Schweikert VR-4

Hi -

I've been a 'happy' ripper for the past month without any issues using a USB drive between the PS/3 and my iMac.

I recently tried using the network mode. While ripping did begin, it was WAY SLOW. Something like .01Mb every 30 seconds. Naturally I killed it and went back to my USB drive.

Is this normal? I'm in IT and will try to troubleshoot this during the coming weekend. Just wanted to throw this out to see if anyone else has encountered very slow network ripping.

Thanks!

Paul

That has not been my experience. The optical drive should be the bottleneck.

Hi -

Thanks!

Paul

My my experience is completely contrary to this. Network ripping directly to my NAS is somewhat faster and many times more convenient than trying to use a USB drive. I have no idea why anyone would not do it the old way. I am at about the 2,500 disc rip level, and it has saved me so much time and effort.

My my experience is completely contrary to this. Network ripping directly to my NAS is somewhat faster and many times more convenient than trying to use a USB drive. I have no idea why anyone would not do it the old way. I am at about the 2,500 disc rip level, and it has saved me so much time and effort.

Ack. Through my wired or wireless connection I get no more than .02MB/sec ripping speed compared to 2.6MB/sec to the USB drive.

Looks like I'll be troubleshooting the network on the weekend!

Thanks,

PJ

• 2 weeks later...
Ack. Through my wired or wireless connection I get no more than .02MB/sec ripping speed compared to 2.6MB/sec to the USB drive.

Looks like I'll be troubleshooting the network on the weekend!

Over my (probably non-optimized) wireless network the ripping speed is between 1-1.5 MB/s.