IGNORED

HiFi Privacy, Data, Groups ... and You May Be The Product

2 hours ago, cjf said:

No difference to report in regards to download speeds though.

Bummer. I am out of ideas then unless you want to switch to running AdGuard Home on your PFSense install, that I can help you with and I can say I am using It, and PFSense, and have no slowdowns with Encrypted DNS.

No electron left behind.

15 hours ago, Allan F said:

I have never signed up for Facebook because of privacy concerns, so that is not an issue for me. However, what pisses me off is the number of companies that have switched from using their own websites to forcing you to sign up to Facebook if you want to access their site information. Add to that how Facebook and Google encourage you to use them as logins so those behemoths can track your every move.

This is such a shortsighted move by websites. It blows my mind every time I see it. Anyone who has run a website for 15 minutes knows that the more you hook into other sites/services/companies that you don't control, the more hamstrung you are when it comes to making any changes on your site (security, features, etc...). Plus, troubleshooting login problems when you don't control the login process, I'd rather stick a pencil in my neck. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 2/8/2024 at 2:25 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

What's the big deal about your 23andMe DNA being stolen by hackers and partially owned by a Government? Not sure, but I don't think like those guys and I don't have the resources to do anything about it if I did.

I'll answer this one...it could be VERY bad.  Genetic data has at least 3 common uses they could be turned upon the subject in unpleasant ways:

1)  Paternity--a stranger could discover you have a child you did not know about, or that you do not have a child that you thought you did.

2) Healthcare--certain genetic data can indicate an increased risk of disease, which will make you less attractive to insurers, employers, and others

3) Crime--like on CSI, including using your data to identify miscreant relatives

Also note that this is an evolving field, more applications are coming on line, many of these will use old data that you gave up years ago, "knowing" it was worthless

4 hours ago, PeterG said:

2) Healthcare--certain genetic data can indicate an increased risk of disease, which will make you less attractive to insurers, employers, and others

There's a federal law of long standing prohibiting insurers from acquiring or using genetic data for this purpose. And no, there's no financial incentive to try to work around this, for a couple of reasons, which I can get into if anyone really wants to read the technical end of things.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

11 minutes ago, Jud said:

There's a federal law of long standing prohibiting insurers from acquiring or using genetic data for this purpose. And no, there's no financial incentive to try to work around this, for a couple of reasons, which I can get into if anyone really wants to read the technical end of things.

Life insurance is another story though. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Life insurance is another story though. 

That's correct. The law does prohibit use by prospective employers, however.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

24 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, Obamacare prevents pre-existing conditions from being used against a person buying health insurance.  But that is not a guarantee for the future.  I do not want to digress into politics and personal values, but Donald Trump has said just recently that if he wins he will repeal Obamacare.  Whether you are a Democrat or Republican, like Obamacare or dislike it, you should take this as a credible threat with respect to this particular issue.

3 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Yes, Obamacare prevents pre-existing conditions from being used against a person buying health insurance.  But that is not a guarantee for the future.  I do not want to digress into politics and personal values, but Donald Trump has said just recently that if he wins he will repeal Obamacare.  Whether you are a Democrat or Republican, like Obamacare or dislike it, you should take this as a credible threat with respect to this particular issue.

This isn't Obamacare, it's a federal law known as GINA (Genetic Information Non-discrimination Act).

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

This isn't Obamacare, it's a federal law known as GINA (Genetic Information Non-discrimination Act).

OK, thanks.  I still would not bank on that protection being available forever. 

Also, this is not to say I would avoid genetic testing done at a hospital as part of normal care, it could be incredibly valuable.  

On 2/16/2024 at 8:09 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

You're correct Tom. Kind of crazy, especially becuase the Ubiquiti Edge equipment isn't something for the un-savvy consumer market. 

TWC used to send Firmware updates out that reset the logins of their modem/routers to Default...and did not tell the consumer.  I now use their (now Spectrum/Charter or Comcast...never remember which) modem and set up my own router.  While my setup is not as tight or ideal as some posted here, I think based on comments of some of my neighors... I am in the 95 percentile.  

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

On 2/20/2024 at 7:45 PM, PeterG said:

He said the same thing in 2016 but over the next four years seemed to have forgotten about it.

1 hour ago, daverich4 said:

He said the same thing in 2016 but over the next four years seemed to have forgotten about it.

He tried. John McCain joined Dems to stop him, if you remember the famous "thumbs down." (Apologies for the off-topic.)

On 2/20/2024 at 5:13 PM, Jud said:

Just a note to say no one should take healthcare action based on results from one of the ancestry companies, which are notoriously subject to error. If you want information about medical conditions, have testing done by an accredited medical lab.

Agreed. One need look no further than the reported cases of these companies producing different results from DNA samples submitted by identical twins, a genetic impossibility.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

So this happened today: My Vivaldi browser (based on Chrome but with many privacy and customization features) reported to me that Windows had, without my agreement, installed the Microsoft Power Automate extension. It asked whether I wanted to keep or remove the extension. I chose to remove it.

Here's more information about Microsoft Power Automate: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/getting-started

Those of you using Windows might want to check your browser extensions.

53 minutes ago, bambadoo said:

Anyone using windows? (especially win11) ?

That is alot of "phone home" issues there. 

Windows 11 is easy to shut off the 'phone home' features. I have them ALL off.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

12 hours ago, Jud said:

Startpage is Google search through an anonymizing proxy.

Strange if it is, because it did not produce the same results as Google.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

8 hours ago, botrytis said:

Well, some of it most people can shut off. Some telemetry etc. digs deeper and needs to "edit" registry for instance or editing the "hosts" file. 

Disabling many services, uninstalling all the native apps is very important. 

All the bloat that comes with, requiring diagnostics data etc. 

All the "sync" services etc. They also makes it very difficult for most people to install without a MS account etc. 

Then comes a large MS update and everything is back.. MS edge suddenly appears again. Quite annoying and time consuming. 

There are some tricks but for most people the data is all in the hands of MS. 

No wonder win11 is often called spyware. 

And they are not alone. 

In fact, just installed the Tempest browser for added privacy. Really like it. 

10 hours ago, botrytis said:

I suspect the vast majority of Windows 11 users do not know how to do this, or even know that they should.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

18 hours ago, firedog said:

Hopefully one day there will be laws in place that force users consent for their data to be collected, and also require payment to collect data. No reason those companies should make billions in profit b/c they mine all that for free, and without full consent. 

The European Union have tried something like this with GDPR. (Plus, like many things, it has been retained in UK law after Brexit) GDPR covers the consent aspect but has nothing with respect to mined data being paid for.

I am not sure if it is working as intended though, and it is still being developed. Very much a work in progress.

Many people just see GDPR as an inconvenience, having to click that annoying consent button yet again, and delaying access to to whatever is linked by a few seconds.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

6 hours ago, bambadoo said:

Well, some of it most people can shut off. Some telemetry etc. digs deeper and needs to "edit" registry for instance or editing the "hosts" file. 

Disabling many services, uninstalling all the native apps is very important. 

All the bloat that comes with, requiring diagnostics data etc. 

All the "sync" services etc. They also makes it very difficult for most people to install without a MS account etc. 

Then comes a large MS update and everything is back.. MS edge suddenly appears again. Quite annoying and time consuming. 

There are some tricks but for most people the data is all in the hands of MS. 

No wonder win11 is often called spyware. 

And they are not alone. 

In fact, just installed the Tempest browser for added privacy. Really like it. 

ALL OS's have this, even linux.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects