IGNORED

HiFi Privacy, Data, Groups ... and You May Be The Product

15 hours ago, Allan F said:

Strange if it is, because it did not produce the same results as Google.

Definitely Google results as I can see the PPC ads that I pay Google for on the Startpage results page.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

15 hours ago, Allan F said:

Strange if it is, because it did not produce the same results as Google.

21 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Definitely Google results as I can see the PPC ads that I pay Google for on the Startpage results page.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Google doesn’t reproduce the same results as Google. There is no such think as a static result. 

What Chris said, and also throw in differences in location caused by the proxy, plus differences caused by absence of other personal information, plus whatever I haven't thought of that would cause a difference in the Google page rank algorithm.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 hours ago, Jud said:

What Chris said, and also throw in differences in location caused by the proxy, plus differences caused by absence of other personal information, plus whatever I haven't thought of that would cause a difference in the Google page rank algorithm.

I suppose the above explains what I experienced. The Google result was more directly related to my specific query, which was of a somewhat local nature. I don't pretend to understand how Google's algorithm works. 🙂

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

“E.T. Phone Home”

This needs to be the Meme of the century.   There are things we can do to slow the erosion under us, but we are still sliding down the hill in a mudslide. I have a Raspberry Pi 4 setup running CASAOS to host several apps, including a Pihole instance.  I have an I7 NUC running PROXMOX VE to host another PiHole and other systems.  I am using the two hardware devices in case one of them rolls over.

https://casaos.io/

https://www.proxmox.com/en/

This methodology lets me test multiple tools without crashing the whole network when the experiments fail.

Along with Pi-hole I am looking at unbound as my own recursive DNS resolver to avoid other folks in the middle.  This takes me directly to the DNS root servers so I do not need anyone else in-between.  GEEKY!

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns/unbound/

https://www.crosstalksolutions.com/the-worlds-greatest-pi-hole-and-unbound-tutorial-2023/

I run IPS on my Unifi network to keep watch.  I am slowing moving IoT devices to their own VLANs and I am working to  replace the one NEST camera I have.  I have UniFi protect setup to see if that is right for me

With much of the data leakage coming from Web browsers I have settled on FireFox with Ublock Origin and Safari with OneBlocker.

I moved to CloudFlare DNS with no performance impact.

Like @The Computer Audiophile I've used Proton for comms and storage as well.

Signal since 2018.

I've been a news addict since middle school so I have used X for a long time and I don't see that changing.

I find insular forums, like AS, substantially better for mental health. Substantially.

The healthcare system I use was all in with Google Glass, first with opt-in during appointments and then standard policy. Doc told me so many people just didn’t believe the captures were actually confidential and opted-out so they ended the program.

Next was back to humans without a surveillance scribe but now they are rolling out audio recording with no way to opt-out.

For a 3-6 minute appointment, I think these docs can distill the necessary information and enter it via keyboard but I'm not wearing their stethoscopes.

I didn't know about Vivaldi browser. I use Firefox Dev most of the time with the common blocking extensions but I know I'm kidding myself.

This thread finally motivated me to start researching Pi-hole®.

• 3 weeks later...

Music streaming data shared = I am not that bothered, if I am honest.

Car driving data shared = Will you visit me in prison?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

22 minutes ago, Confused said:

Car driving data shared = Will you visit me in prison?

Where the heck are you driving?  ;-)

Personally, I think that if we make the police get a warrant to track us in our cars and our persons, we should not make that same data available to anyone who wants to buy it for any reason.

I am not a lawyer so someone who is will have to chime in here, bur other than the cost what is to stop a police department from buying someones location data?

No electron left behind.

36 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Where the heck are you driving?  ;-)

Well, it’s either where I’m driving, or the speed I’m driving at to get there….

I was not being entirely serious above, but I guess it does make a point about the value of data and the potential consequences of it being widely available.

A troubling example of this is what the Chinese government are doing with the data of their citizens.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

1 hour ago, Confused said:

Well, it’s either where I’m driving, or the speed I’m driving at to get there….

I was not being entirely serious above,

I know, thats why I left the winky thing, whatever it's called. I wonder if the insurance company sees my track driving and has upped my premiums due to that.

No electron left behind.