IGNORED

Here’s proof that there’s just too much music being made. WAY too much.

What happens to all these songs? In the case of about 20 per cent of them (39.2 million tracks or roughly one for each living person in Canada) nothing. Nothing at all. They’re completely lost and never heard by anyone, ever.

I think 99.9999 % of created music tracks are not heard by human ears and discarded.

today I accidentally listened to this sound file picked up from myriad of files spitted from the deep learning network, and it is mildly interesting, somewhat resembles to Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet 🙂  BuggedDeepLearning_output.flac

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

Yes, the uncontrolled production of unnecessary things, and this applies to everything in the material world, not just music files. They call it progress. The remarkable thing is that this production is entirely chaotic, there is no one who makes any choice of his own, not one who has decided he is a "doer," nor one who has decided that he chooses what he supposedly wants out of it. The illusion of choice is only apparent. The question is, at what point does this chaotic reproduction of the unnecessary things begin to become fatal? Or has it already happened?

20 hours ago, Superdad said:

Best takeaway from the article is:

https://forgotify.com
x-D

Agreed. I had no idea it existed, I've tired a few tracks now though, some of them are not too bad!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On 4/4/2023 at 12:45 PM, sphinxsix said:

Rock can not surprise me or excite me anymore.

Think it's not only me. Out of curiosity I checked out Allmusic's "rock's best of 2022" in the early January. There was no a five star (their reviews, not fans) album among the ones they mentioned.. I think that says it all.

6 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Think it's not only me. Out of curiosity I checked out Allmusic's "rock's best of 2022" in the early January. There was no a five star (their reviews, not fans) album among the ones they mentioned.. I think that says it all.

WTF. In your opinion, albums have to get a five star rating in order to be considered as exciting by AllMusic..!?!?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

WTF. In your opinion, albums have to get a five star rating in order to be considered as exciting by AllMusic..!?!?

Who uses AllMusic anyway?

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Music is like women, only 5 star one is really exciting ;-) 

28 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I do. And my neighbor too. I don't read reviews nowadays, except from classical reviews but if I explore eg some new to me rock band, IME Allmusic critics plus readers star rating can tell you pretty well eg which album is a good place to begin the exploration.

My thinking process in this case was like this - I don't find contemporary rock exciting, but maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm missing some bands, some albums. For me the fact that no album in 2022 has received a 5 star rating shows something - rock nowadays is like Olympics in which no participant is good enough to get a gold medal.

That's my subjective opinion but it seems that not only mine.

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

Actually, I do regularly to see Featured New Releases.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Plenty of new music out there. Some fantastic groups also. Just need to take a leap of faith and try them.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

35 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Plenty of new music out there. Some fantastic groups also. Just need to take a leap of faith and try them.

I'm too old for faith, I need a proof (in my ears) and unfortunately I'm quite demanding.

I don't use streaming.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

On 4/7/2023 at 6:28 AM, botrytis said:

I don't use streaming.

Ditto. I believe musicians should be paid reasonable royalties for their work, something they can't earn from streaming but may from sales of downloads or physical media. I especially like Bandcamp.

1 hour ago, Iving said:

Me too. Great conversation. 1,000,001 reasons not to stream.

Soon also all streamed music may be not deblurred and unorigamied..

😉

I just hate blurry sound (and love origami)

😉😉

On 4/8/2023 at 9:06 AM, Iving said:

Me too. Great conversation. 1,000,001 reasons not to stream.

what are your top 1,001 reasons?

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, PYP said:

what are your top 1,001 reasons?

Great question!

Easily satisfied, I am convinced by the first dozen that come to my mind ... How about if I do the first 12?

tbh this is an old list of mine.

7. below seems apposite right now.

Truth is I backed records and CDs a long time ago, and have zero regrets about that to this day. I rip  CDs to a flac Library btw and play from HQPlayer on an offline music PC - thence Dante/RedNet and Pro Audio DAC. I don't have a CD player or transport.

Having been an online Seller for years and years, I have more music than I could ever listen to. I like era-congruent experiences. I like 78s for Blues and Jazz. I like vinyl for Prog Rock. I like Britney on CD. But then CDs are so convenient for so many reasons. I can dig deeper into Rockabilly via CD than via shellac and vinyl (rarity and expense). There is a stupendously large world of Classical on CD even if you can't beat an ED1 SXL. Yes - there is more music out there than one person needs for happiness in this lifetime.

1. Sound quality. I have more faith in local playback - no matter where my system is at or where it's going.

2. Music is "pure" and transcendental. I need a minimalist environment when listening to it - one preferably rationalised by me. The last thing I want is a plethora of online distractions created by somebody else.

3. I hate ads.

4. I hate suggestions. I have enough experience and ideas of my own. The pursuit is half the hobby. Listening suggestions are like someone completing a crossword for you. I am thinking of the commercial type - not the peer-sharing we do as hobbyists on music threads (which generates a particular satisfaction).

5. Streaming vs. owning media is like renting vs. buying a property.

6. As a general truism, music media are a good investment - they work much harder than money in the bank.

7. Streaming services can move the goalposts on you - cf. MQA.

8. Streaming services can hike prices - beyond your control.

9. Third party metadata are rubbish - I prefer to do my own.

10. I have an intuition that streaming exploits Artists more than retailing hard media.

11. There's a lot of music only available on shellac and vinyl records. See the documentary 'Desperate Man Blues' for a fascinating account of the rescue of American Blues and Jazz not in existence except for 78s which would have been trashed but for the scouting obsession of Joe Bussard.

12. Consumer-owned hard copies is something of an insurance against events like the Universal fire.

@irvingmax

"2.  the last thing I  want  is a plethora of online distraction.  3. I hate ads."   et al.

You need a new streaming service.  I don't see ads or online distractions on my system.

I find a lot of new music on my streamer.   Very surprising and exciting music.  Streaming guides me to purchase higher quality physical media.  If is so wish.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law