IGNORED

Article: Grimm Audio MU1 Music Player Review

5 minutes ago, FredM said:

“ The Grimm Audio MU1 digital music source is absolutely the right product for many listeners in our wonderful hobby. If perusing the MU1 thread here on Audiophile Style is any indication, most people set it and forget it, at either 2fs or 4fs oversampling. The concept and validity of an external up/oversampling device has long been proven highly effective in many audio systems. The MU1 takes this a step further by including a Roon core and an advanced FPGA working to extend the capabilities of Roon, to deliver a pristine audio signal out to a DAC. “

Imho spot on 👍. It’s an one box solution that offers turn key musical enjoyment. End game for many. Personally one of my best ever hifi choices, it just keeps amazing me.

Thanks for sharing your experience Chris, a well written review with nice new insights which were untouched in the other MU1 reviews. I can imagine that (heavy) thinkering/tweaking curiosity (experimenting with oversampling, DAC filters or DSP and Convolution settings, I didn't knew what it is 😀) require some determination given the bunch of combinations. Thanks!

Thanks so much @FredM. I'm very grateful your MU1 thread in the forum has provide so much information. Seeing how everyone uses the MU1 and the success they've had is really nice. 

Question: Do you use internal storage?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks so much @FredM. I'm very grateful your MU1 thread in the forum has provide so much information. Seeing how everyone uses the MU1 and the success they've had is really nice. 

Question: Do you use internal storage?

You’re welcome, and also thanks to the other Grimm MU1 users who also share their MU1 experiences. Together we’re able to help fellow MU1 users, and others who are interested of course. It never hurts to help 🙂

Yes, I use a 2TB SSD, that’s sufficient for my needs. Next to my local albums I just love how Roon Radio suggests tracks/albums, great to discover and enjoy new music! 

26 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Does it only run Roon or are there other choices such as Squeezebox?

From one of the US Grimm dealers:  "It currently supports only Roon. However, there is an update coming out in 2022 that allows it to be used with other controller software. I assume that means they will be adding UpnP/DLNA support. "

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, stefano_mbp said:

… on Linux too … using HQPlayer or JRiver

..a must have PC/Laptop (in the hifi chain) is necessary.
Wait: is it possible to use an APP? I don't know if JRiver and/or HQPlayer are on android/iOS APP version.
It would be wonderful... to bypass ROON 😛 ... I mean, to check the "SoundQuality", not talking about the "Music management", a ROON to die for!

1 hour ago, Richh84 said:

Any update from grimm on why the roon convolution w/ grimm upsampling issue?

I can only speak for myself on this one. With so many variables, it's probably best to know about my issue using convolution with the MU1's oversampling, but not think much more about it. All convolution filters are different, convolution engines are different, DACs are different, etc... My issue could be a non-issue for everyone else. I really wish others with the MU1 used convolution and could give me some feedback on how it sounds in their system with oversampling set to No/2fs/4fs. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

So exactly what does this $10.5K box do that say a $2.5K Mac Studio with 2TB of SSD and Roon software can't do?

Alternatively, I'm guessing that with say HQ Player on the Mac Studio, it can do things that the Grimm unit cannot.

Looks nicely made.

Tone with Soul

1 hour ago, 57gold said:

So exactly what does this $10.5K box do that say a $2.5K Mac Studio with 2TB of SSD and Roon software can't do?

Alternatively, I'm guessing that with say HQ Player on the Mac Studio, it can do things that the Grimm unit cannot.

Looks nicely made.

Like everything, it isn’t for everyone. The built-in DSP is “idiot” proof, with a couple radio buttons to click. There is nothing to update when a new OS comes out or OS settings to adjust etc… plus, the Grimm DSP is proprietary, and something not available elsewhere. 

That said, if you have a Mac and HQP, and a DAC that accepts the stream coming from that, you can do incredible things. The learning curve can be steep though. 

I’m glad we have options. 

Thanks pmorali for sharing your experience with this product.

Still not sure I understand its functions / capabilities.  The company's website seems to indicate that it is a DAC (Do you use it as a DAC? Review has it hooked up to super DACs.), has limited built in upsampling capabilities, there is no info on its capabilities with respect to player software like HQPlayer and dealing with upconverting to DSD 128 or higher using its powerful filters.  

Tone with Soul

6 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

Fred,

If one is not interested in upsampling at all and instead prefers to play digital files 'as is'  does the MU1 offer SQ improvements for that use case in comparison to competing solutions?

Hi George, 

With the Grimm MU1 usampling can be set at 0, 2 or 4fs, if you would like to disable upsampling, you can. Then, to quote Chris:

disabling oversampling still enables the listener to take advantage of the MU1's stellar clocking circuit and clean digital audio output to the DAC. What I heard with all music, once I settled on my preferred filter setting, was terrific through the MU1

(upsampling is maxed out at 4fs with a purpose, this enables to also transfer the clock signal from the MU1 to an external DAC via AES)

Switching between upsampling settings on the MU1 can be done on the fly, in the webinterface (1 click) or via the menu on the device. As said, 99% of the users appear to prefer upsampling with the MU1, just set it once (for playback of all genres, albums, tracks, etc). 

I’m afraid I can’t answer how the MU1 in a non-upsample setting would compare with other products, it’s a quite specific test case. The closest I’ve seen are Chris’ findings above, with different upsampling preferences per music (still both with the MU1 as player). Comparing the MU1 in a non-upsampling setting with another product or products even would introduce another variable to the test😬. I think a dealer can help best. I would just simply start with the MU1 out of the box and see if further actions are needed. 

5 hours ago, 57gold said:

Thanks pmorali for sharing your experience with this product.

Still not sure I understand its functions / capabilities.  The company's website seems to indicate that it is a DAC (Do you use it as a DAC? Review has it hooked up to super DACs.), has limited built in upsampling capabilities, there is no info on its capabilities with respect to player software like HQPlayer and dealing with upconverting to DSD 128 or higher using its powerful filters.  

No DAC in MU1. Word on the street is the MU2 will contain a DAC. 

14 hours ago, FredM said:

Hi George, 

With the Grimm MU1 usampling can be set at 0, 2 or 4fs, if you would like to disable upsampling, you can. Then, to quote Chris:

disabling oversampling still enables the listener to take advantage of the MU1's stellar clocking circuit and clean digital audio output to the DAC. What I heard with all music, once I settled on my preferred filter setting, was terrific through the MU1

(upsampling is maxed out at 4fs with a purpose, this enables to also transfer the clock signal from the MU1 to an external DAC via AES)

Switching between upsampling settings on the MU1 can be done on the fly, in the webinterface (1 click) or via the menu on the device. As said, 99% of the users appear to prefer upsampling with the MU1, just set it once (for playback of all genres, albums, tracks, etc). 

I’m afraid I can’t answer how the MU1 in a non-upsample setting would compare with other products, it’s a quite specific test case. The closest I’ve seen are Chris’ findings above, with different upsampling preferences per music (still both with the MU1 as player). Comparing the MU1 in a non-upsampling setting with another product or products even would introduce another variable to the test😬. I think a dealer can help best. I would just simply start with the MU1 out of the box and see if further actions are needed. 

Thank you my friend, I appreciate the response.