IGNORED

Article: Grimm Audio MU1 Music Player Review

17 hours ago, 57gold said:

Still not sure I understand its functions / capabilities.  The company's website seems to indicate that it is a DAC 

When I was trying to get a handle on what the MU1 is, it was helpful to understand that it is a digital device only -- it contains no analog processes like your DAC has.  

I think of it as a DDC + server (either 2 or 8 TB storage) + streamer that also has a volume control (if you wish to use that; I don't).  As others have mentioned, attaching it a DAC is very simple as is getting Roon up and running.  

There is a web interface which allows you to try 3 different oversampling options, so trying out these options is rather simple (Chris then took it another step in examining the interaction with DACs that have various filters, which I think is valuable information for a prospective buyer).  Or, you can just use the Grimm suggestion of 4fs and enjoy it.  

My Tambaqui DAC is also a Roon endpoint/streamer (no filters available).  I was using the ethernet input.  The Tambaqui is a very fine DAC and the streamer was very good, but using the ethernet input required ethernet cleaners placed before the DAC to sound its best (which is pretty darn good).  

The Grimm doesn't need those cleaners, at least in my setup and according to my preferences.  And the Grimm's special sauce adds an inviting musicality that is even better than the Tambaqui alone (I was doubtful about this).  When I was considering the Grimm and adding up the dollars it seemed beyond what I wanted to spend.  But an in-home demo blew away those doubts.  It is truly a special unit.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Two thoughts:

1) A friend of mine says that the Tambaqui DAC with the Grimm MU1 is the best digital system he's ever heard.

2) For a few years, Grimm has been touting an upcoming MU2, which would add a DAC.  As it's been some time, I suspect the Grimm folks are having some issues.  Did you hear anything about a MU2?

5 minutes ago, Flashman said:

Two thoughts:

1) A friend of mine says that the Tambaqui DAC with the Grimm MU1 is the best digital system he's ever heard.

2) For a few years, Grimm has been touting an upcoming MU2, which would add a DAC.  As it's been some time, I suspect the Grimm folks are having some issues.  Did you hear anything about a MU2?

Here is info about the MU2, straight from Eelco Grimm. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58754-grimm-audio-mu1-server/?do=findComment&comment=1215325

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Appreciate this review. The MU1 is the most consequential audio expenditure in a long time. I spend a lot more time enjoying music than I have in a long time. 

Kii Three/BXT < Transparent XL AES < Grimm MU1

Equitech 1.5Q

Signal and Evidence AC cables

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The fact that my results are different, is kind of nice to me. I feel very different from most other writers. Not better, just different :~)

All feedback and recommendations noted. It's all valuable. Thank you.

Thanks for your responses @The Computer Audiophile 👍 
I guess I’m trying to understand why -per type of music- you seem to prefer different upsampling settings (0fs / 4fs). But fully agree, we just have different findings, all good.

Great that you’ve had the opportunity to experience the MU1. When it arrives back at @Analog Audio of Minnesota it can do its magic and create smiles on a lot faces again 😀, nice to occasionally see new MU1 users in the Grimm MU1 topic.

20 hours ago, FredM said:

I guess I’m trying to understand why -per type of music- you seem to prefer different upsampling settings (0fs / 4fs).

This is actually very common. Here is page 22 of the dCS Vivaldi manual. You can see why people may prefer different filters and type of music may be considered when selecting a filter.

page 22 dcs vivaldi manual.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On the title track to Midnight Sugar, there was also more definition in the top end and the transients were less sharp with the MU1's oversampling disabled. Specifically, the transient at 2:25 into the track. With 4fs oversampling enabled, the piano can rip the listener's ears off. It's overly sharp. Without MU1 oversampling enabled on this track, the T+A DAC 200 with bez2 filter sounded fantastic, as did the EMM Labs DV2. When listening to piano music, I preferred the T+A and EMM Labs filters and algorithms on their own. 

Very strange recording balance to the piano; I've never heard a live instrument present so much 'power' in the transients - did they place a microphone right on top of the right hand strings?

Is this typical for how TBM record the sound of the musicians?

20 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Very strange recording balance to the piano; I've never heard a live instrument present so much 'power' in the transients - did they place a microphone right on top of the right hand strings?

Is this typical for how TBM record the sound of the musicians?

This is the specific version I listen to. 

https://www.impexrecords.com/midnight-sugar/

C2C763EB-998E-4540-8372-63CD3E1E7B71.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review!  

I haven’t posted as much since creating an account but its great to see a high concentration of MU1 experiences and owners here.  I have a MU1 on the way.  I’ll be moving away from my all in one streamer DAC so till I get another DAC I wont be situated with enjoying the new capabilities.

Fleetwood Deville SQ < Bakoon AMP-51R < Mola Mola Tambaqui < Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH-SP ADIO < Grimm MU1

• 1 year later...

I purchased a MU1 last year after a long comparison with an Innuos statement. For several years I have been using my DIY server (recently upgraded with new MB and  i7-13700cpu) based on the Audiophile style server building threads - A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming / Building a diy music server (Nenon et al). Running  Audiolinux and HQplayer utilising the Taiko ATX-DC and powered by a P Haynes SR7, silver wired, turbo. It sounds excellent, so good in fact I sold my vinyl set up of Kuzma XL 4pt, Lyra Atlas and Ypsilon phono stage.

It also compares very favourably to the Grimm, however the Grimm just seems more natural and adds a better sense of flow. 

I was interested to see some owners use the MU1 as an end point and wondered what the set up proceedure is to achieve that? I would be interested to try out using my server streaming to the MU1 - at least it would not be redundant, although I might be able to sell it.

Something I have tried with the MU1 is play an old CD player (Pioneer 802 - plays CD inverted)  through it via the CD  player's SPDIF out. The result is quite amazing the CD virtually equals the same file ripped to HD when played through the MU1. 

I have the MU1 connected to my Mola Mola Makua pre, which has a Tambqui DAC module incorporated, via AES. So my assumption is the Grimm's clocking and FPGA are improving the CD player's signal dramaticlly prior to sending the information to the DAC.

On 2/3/2024 at 3:12 PM, dctom said:

I purchased a MU1 last year after a long comparison with an Innuos statement. For several years I have been using my DIY server (recently upgraded with new MB and  i7-13700cpu) based on the Audiophile style server building threads - A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming / Building a diy music server (Nenon et al). Running  Audiolinux and HQplayer utilising the Taiko ATX-DC and powered by a P Haynes SR7, silver wired, turbo. It sounds excellent, so good in fact I sold my vinyl set up of Kuzma XL 4pt, Lyra Atlas and Ypsilon phono stage.

It also compares very favourably to the Grimm, however the Grimm just seems more natural and adds a better sense of flow. 

I was interested to see some owners use the MU1 as an end point and wondered what the set up proceedure is to achieve that? I would be interested to try out using my server streaming to the MU1 - at least it would not be redundant, although I might be able to sell it.

Something I have tried with the MU1 is play an old CD player (Pioneer 802 - plays CD inverted)  through it via the CD  player's SPDIF out. The result is quite amazing the CD virtually equals the same file ripped to HD when played through the MU1. 

I have the MU1 connected to my Mola Mola Makua pre, which has a Tambqui DAC module incorporated, via AES. So my assumption is the Grimm's clocking and FPGA are improving the CD player's signal dramaticlly prior to sending the information to the DAC.

I have same setup (Mu1 and Makua with DAC).

I think you’re correct.. that config takes advantage of the Mu-1 upsampler & transfers 4fs (or whatever you’ve configured) to the DAC module over AES. I’ve attached a block diagram & it’s clear to see.

You might also try your CD out via optical to the Makua DIGIN Toslink input - without the Mu-1 intermediate upsampler of course so maybe not as good though it is one less component (I’ve not tried this as I only use my CD player analogue outputs as I mainly use it for its SACD stream direct to a dedicated Makua analogue in)

AB9B1027-B755-4E44-801E-B40CC68360BC.jpeg

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

I like your diagram very informative. I have tried the CD directly into the Makua and unsurprisingly it is better than through the CD's DAC but not as good as through the MU1.

Trying to work out how to get my computer server to play through the Grimm now.