IGNORED

Article: Review | Constellation Audio Inspiration Integrated 1.0 Amplifier

"I've driven the SR1a headphones with numerous amplifiers, including the Pass Labs XA160.5"

That must have been an interesting combo to hear. The XA160.5 is a beast. Do you know what load is presented to the Amp when running the Outputs thru the external interface box for the SR1a headphones?

Would love to get my greedy mits on the XA160.8's. If the 160.5's didn't wow for some reason the 160.8's just might. The .8's definitely have a different sound to the .5's IMO...for the better, but I'm biased of course. The .8's are not as "Tube like" sounding but both are excellent either way you slice it.

Anyway, a nice enjoyable read of the Constellation Integrated.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yeah, the Pass with these headphones was good but over the top ridiculous, even for me. Full class A heaters. 

The interface box presents a 6 ohm load. These things require excellent amplification that’s for sure. The .8 amps would be great I’m sure, but the heat factor with a close to the listener headphone system would be a bridge too far for many :~)

I have a really long cable that goes from the Pass 30.8 to my headphones... I can't imagine having more heat in the room though.

Fun fact, the Pass XA30.8 is less powerful than HiFiMan's own amp for the Susvara, the EF1000, which puts out a whopping 20 Class A Watts at 35 Ohms, if I remember correctly. I'll check and edit if necessary.

No electron left behind.

I am also a little nuts with my RAAL SR1a. I should first say that the CODA 07x preamp is incredible with the RAAL. I have tried 2 other preamps with the SR1a (Topping pre90 and Benchmark LA4). The CODA 07x also has dual XLR outputs so I was able to run one set into my SR1a amp and the other to my 2 channel amp for my office floor standers.  I also have the Accurate Sound Convolution filter for the SR1a and my floor standers. However, I no longer use either one. Changes I made to the room and also my RAAL SR1a gear made it not so essential. I will redo the filter for my floor standers in the future. 

The RAAL SR1a needs a lot of power. The power meters on one of my amps confirmed this to me. The meters danced more with the RAAL SR1a than with my power hungry floor standers. Here are the amps I have used with the RAAL.

- D-Sonic M3a 800s (lot of power, cheap, Class D. Pretty good results)

- LSA Voyager 350 GAN (modded by EVS). (excellent clarity after the mods,, however it sounded a little lean on SR1a)

- Benchmark AHB2 stereo and mono (what the RAAL designer uses, but too bright for me. My favorite amps with speakers)

- CODA #8 (great sound but not as clear as the AHB2 or modded LSA Voyager. Sold the Voyager and kept the better overall #8)

- Parasound A21+ (a surprising result, I love the pairing with the SR1a, I currently use this in the office with the SR1a)

The very best amp with the SR1a is none of the above, it is the KRELL K-300i integrated. It is very smooth, very powerful, and has enough detail for the very detailed SR1a. This amp is one that really makes you relax on 2 channel speakers. Thus, this is a great match for the SR1a, which can be bright. I use the KRELL in my bedroom with a Accuphase tuner. My KRELL has the internal DAC and it also supports ROON READY streaming so it is a very clean solution. I prefer the KRELL K-300i to the CODA 07x and Parasound A21+ SR1a combo of my office. though that could be because I am laying in bed and super relaxed when listening to the KRELL. It was suggested to me that I should check out the upcoming RAAL tube amplifier, however, I do like this rolling of amps that I can do with the CODA 07x.

My next decision is whether to get the new RAAL SR2a (in 2022) or a second (better sounding) SR1a for my bedroom. The SR1a is not ideal for putting your head on a pillow. Though I do make it work by raising my head up on pillows. The SR2a would be ideal on a pillow but does not have that incredible SR1a 2 channel sound.

A data point….currently own the Constellation Preamp 1 and until recently, the Wilson Tune Tots.  When hearing that Chris was planning to review this pairing, after some initial surprise, (so small and ultra luxe) I was immensely curious to read of his conclusions.  Once getting past the price points for this two piece system, excepting server/Dac, the pairing seems inspired.  I can easily imagine anyone with the requisite financial resources and no interest in the continual fussing we all seem inclined to, ending up with a simple, beautiful and completely musical system.  Stand mounted Tune Tots are effortlessly expressive, the Constellation a great pairing.  
Simple, clean and endlessly involving.

i recently added the Conny Pre to my system after putting it between a Bartok DAC running directly to my Pass Lab.  I have, since my very early days with a Berkeley Alpha Series One, always run the system directly, DAC to Amp, assuming this was the “cleanest” path so was completely surprised when borrowing the Conny for the weekend.  I am a convert.

The influence of this preamp was immediate and completely obvious.  Music was fleshed out and broadened in a way I hadn’t anticipated .
Well, I bought it directly.