IGNORED

T+A DAC 200

On 3/15/2023 at 7:23 AM, Nkam said:

It’s wonderful partaking in these forums.   

chit chatting about stuff we love.  

but at the same time I can’t help thinking……

what is everyone listening through?

can we see a freq response graph of their room and what is going on RTDecay wise? 
what other equipment are they using?  Amps , speakers? 

Please no offense as I do not mean it in a bad way. 

i just know that when I started my first setup and first room.  I hired someone to teach me REW and my journey of setting up my speakers and room with what I already had , had begun.    
because I am not a pro , it took me around two years to make a HUGE a difference in the sound quality.  
measurably as well 

and I remember listening to some DACs back then or other gear , now knowing my speakers and everything else wasn’t setup nearly optimally.  

just pondering.  

Rant over. 

I once bought a UMIK mic and measure the hell out of my room, only to loose my mind over bad response curves on REW (and the sweaping sound). Then started playing with filters (i had a bump around 80Hz driving me crazy) it did good things, but also did harm in other ways.

As far as room treatment, i don’t own a dedicated room for listening so treating it with dispersion, absorbtion etc. is not an option.

Now i just place the speakers the best i can in my roon and listen to where it is sounds best.

I have been able to detect improvements everytime i do a significant upgrade like this, and to be honest do not know the current decay, response graph etc. That was fun for a while, but not for long. :)

Regarding setup, i currently use:

• Streamer: NUC on akasa plato fanless case, tuned down for linearity and Win10 with audiophile optimizer
  • Player: Roon DSD512 (7th CLANS, precise min phase)
  • Power Supply for source: SoTM sps500
  • DAC: T+A DAC200
  • Integrated Amp: T+A PA3100HV + PS3000HV (power supply)
  • Speakers: Magico A3
  • Power care: an Audiotricity power conditioner
  • Cabling: mainly a combination of Nordost Heimdall2 (USB and Speakers) and Frey2 (Interconnects)

I would also be interest knowing more about what other people use with their DAC200, especially regarding streamer and DSD upsampling with HQP. I would like to explore using HQPlayer, but i am totally lost with the countless threads and posts about the streamer and HQP topic.

Cheers!

On 3/13/2023 at 2:08 PM, OE333 said:

To say it with the words of  Ludwig Mies van der Rohe: Less is More

or

in an integrated OP-Amp there is no choice - all components have to made from silicon. In a discrete amplifier the designer can choose the best possible type of component for each part of his circuit He can also tailor the circuit exactly to the specific needs and requirements of the device he is designing.

Very often this results in less complex circuits with fewer but higher quality parts and less chances for errors and imperfections.

So in many cases an experienced analog designer can tweak a discrete circuit to higher performance levels than a universal-to-use  off-the-shelf integrated standard part can deliver.

also , if I may.  Why did you choose that much older DAC chip over the newer ones?  
Don’t the newer ones offer any advantages in technology for a ‘ better sound’?

me personally out of a ton of DACs I’ve tried tend toward the Cirrus sound.  And I’m a musician of over 40 years.   But I don’t see Cirrus taken seriously in hifi.  
nowadays it’s just AKM and ESS.   With some older BB chips. 

thank you 

ah also.  Does the older model DAC8 have the same exact PCM architecture as the 200 and same analog output stage?

1 hour ago, Nkam said:

me personally out of a ton of DACs I’ve tried tend toward the Cirrus sound.  And I’m a musician of over 40 years.   But I don’t see Cirrus taken seriously in hifi.

The Cirrus CS4398 (for example in HD-DAC1) is pretty old chip too. I have couple of tubes of those, from some 15 years ago, and it wasn't new at that point either. Later they updated the on-chip DSP on CS43198 but the conversion stage or the modulators didn't change at all.

At some point, Wolfson was also popular, and I think sometimes still used. But then Cirrus Logic bought Wolfson and the line is dead now.

1 hour ago, Nkam said:

Don’t the newer ones offer any advantages in technology for a ‘ better sound’?

Not necessarily. ESS has been good at implementing new bugs on their chips. 😅

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Nkam said:

also , if I may.  Why did you choose that much older DAC chip over the newer ones?  
Don’t the newer ones offer any advantages in technology for a ‘ better sound’

I can assure you that the DAC 200 is better sounding than my last DAC which used a newer ESS9038PRO chip.   Design/implementation engineering trumps the actual chip used in my experience. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 3:19 PM, Miska said:

I'm now using two very similar devices. HA 200 + Solitaire P for one of headphone systems and DAC 200 for my main loudspeaker system. So I'm very well covered in this respect! 🙂

@Miska: what is the ideal bitrate setting for hqplayer with the dac 200? am comparing it with the holo may, both on dsd1024

HQPe on 7950/4090/Ubuntu 22.04 → Holo Red → T+A DAC200 / Wavedream Sig-Bal / Holo May KTE 

Zähl HM1 → Mass Kobo 465 / Feliks Envy  → Susvara / D8KP-LE / MYSPHERE 3.1 / ...

Zähl HM1 → LTA Z40+ → Salk BePure 2

Pass XP25 → Salk Song3 BeAT

45 minutes ago, pavi said:

@Miska: what is the ideal bitrate setting for hqplayer with the dac 200? am comparing it with the holo may, both on dsd1024

It depends. I run mine at DSD256 or DSD512, but most of the time at DSD512.

You have number of variables. Fifth and seventh order modulators in HQPlayer, 60 kHz and wide analog filters in DAC 200. And then rate.

Then you can consider which aspects you want to optimize. Best in-band SINAD, lowest out of band noise, bandwidth etc?

In my case, living room loudspeaker setup with Dynaudio speakers is set to 60 kHz LPF on DAC200. Running at DSD512 using ASDM7ECv2.

Office headphone setup with T+A Solitaire P headphones is set to Wide LPF on HA200. Running at DSD512 using ASDM7ECv2.

On 3/30/2023 at 6:50 PM, Miska said:

In my case, living room loudspeaker setup with Dynaudio speakers is set to 60 kHz LPF on DAC200. Running at DSD512 using ASDM7ECv2.

Office headphone setup with T+A Solitaire P headphones is set to Wide LPF on HA200. Running at DSD512 using ASDM7ECv2.

do you prefer dsd512 with asdm7ecv2 over dsd1024 with amsdm7ec 512+fs? am listening to both, trying to make up my mind. 

do you prefer the default filters with this setup? 

HQPe on 7950/4090/Ubuntu 22.04 → Holo Red → T+A DAC200 / Wavedream Sig-Bal / Holo May KTE 

Zähl HM1 → Mass Kobo 465 / Feliks Envy  → Susvara / D8KP-LE / MYSPHERE 3.1 / ...

thanks @Miska… appreciate it

4 hours ago, dsyzling said:

@pavi Do you have any early impressions of comparing the T+A 200 vs your Holo May with HQ Player?

very early days, and i really have not done a fair comparison yet, but i am surprised how much i liked the dac 200 right away. both the may & the dac 200 are super transparent to hqplayer. fwiw i'm using only dsd1024 & dsd512, no pcm at all. 

can't really go wrong with either dac, tbh — but for now if i had to pick i'd take the dac 200. could totally be new-gear-syndrome, so there's that of course.

6 hours ago, pavi said:

very early days, and i really have not done a fair comparison yet, but i am surprised how much i liked the dac 200 right away. both the may & the dac 200 are super transparent to hqplayer. fwiw i'm using only dsd1024 & dsd512, no pcm at all. 

can't really go wrong with either dac, tbh — but for now if i had to pick i'd take the dac 200. could totally be new-gear-syndrome, so there's that of course.

Thanks, appreciate your thoughts and I understand it's probably too early for definitive conclusions. Glad you're enjoying the new dac and hope to hear some of your future thoughts. Certainly a good headphone setup you have there with both the HM1 and Envy with the Susvaras.

Had an opportunity to listen to the T+A DAC200 while also having the following dacs in house:   holo may, denafrips t+, and mola mola tambaqui.

In my opinion and in my system the TA is a better buy than the May or the T+.  All are excellent DACs but the TA brings most of what what is special about those R2Rs and then some in terms of clarity and naturalness.  However, it didn't quite exhibit the soundstage depth of the May or the complete width of the T+.  But, different filters can accommodate different tastes and the overall presentation was superior.  

I listened to ANADIALOG TA review where he described it as a leap over the May.  I don't agree it was a leap, but certainly a progression.  

In terms of it being a giant killer vs the likes of tambaqui, I don't think so.  Tambaqui has a holographic nature and rhythm and drive that the TA cant quite match. 

All that said it's a great product for it's price range and had I not had the Tambaqui would gladly live with it over the May or T+.

3 hours ago, nmcleod said:

Had an opportunity to listen to the T+A DAC200 while also having the following dacs in house:   holo may, denafrips t+, and mola mola tambaqui.

In my opinion and in my system the TA is a better buy than the May or the T+.  All are excellent DACs but the TA brings most of what what is special about those R2Rs and then some in terms of clarity and naturalness.  However, it didn't quite exhibit the soundstage depth of the May or the complete width of the T+.  But, different filters can accommodate different tastes and the overall presentation was superior.  

I listened to ANADIALOG TA review where he described it as a leap over the May.  I don't agree it was a leap, but certainly a progression.  

In terms of it being a giant killer vs the likes of tambaqui, I don't think so.  Tambaqui has a holographic nature and rhythm and drive that the TA cant quite match. 

All that said it's a great product for it's price range and had I not had the Tambaqui would gladly live with it over the May or T+.

Nothing personal and perhaps I am somewhat dense, but I found your use of abbreviations very confusing in terms of knowing which DACs you were referring to in your comparisons until I had read your post about five times. 🙂 Of course, the Tambaqui sells for almost twice as much as the DAC 200 - $13,500 vs $7,125.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Just curious how did you drive these DACs?

Holo May, T+A Dac200, and T+ were fed by Holo Red streamer and FTA Callisto USB used NAA or as an endpoint depending.   The NOS modes on May  and T+A were tested some with hqplayer, and some without.  Tambaqui was fed via ethernet as it's own roon endpoint. 

5 hours ago, Allan F said:

Nothing personal and perhaps I am somewhat dense, but I found your use of abbreviations very confusing in terms of knowing which DACs you were referring to in your comparisons until I had read your post about five times. 🙂 Of course, the Tambaqui sells for almost twice as much as the DAC 200 - $13,500 vs $7,125.

Even with the Tambaqui at twice the price the T+A DAC200 was competitive in many ways.   Specifically it's horizontal soundstaging is immaculate, and there is proper tone and weight to key instruments like piano (I found the r2rs struggle here, but TA delta sigma did well). It's a nice piece of kit, it just isn't the last word like I've been reading from reviewers.

38 minutes ago, nmcleod said:

Holo May, T+A Dac200, and T+ were fed by Holo Red streamer and FTA Callisto USB used NAA or as an endpoint depending.   The NOS modes on May  and T+A were tested some with hqplayer, and some without.  Tambaqui was fed via ethernet as it's own roon endpoint. 

HQPlayer producing what kind of output? What settings?

Of course, from T+A arsenal you still also have the better 3100-series DACs.

18 minutes ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer producing what kind of output? What settings?

Of course, from T+A arsenal you still also have the better 3100-series DACs.

Long story short is I preferred T+A 200 own Bezier filter 2, which I primarily used when I listened to it.

For the May, I found it best using Sinc Mx with LNS15 at 1536 PCM set to 20 bits. 

I tried to find the best that each could do amd compare from there.  I didn't test either of those DACs DSD output, which is probably a travesty for some as they are major features of them both.