IGNORED

T+A DAC 200

33 minutes ago, Miska said:

So pretty suboptimal, IMO. If you want to run it optimal, run DSD256 or DSD512 from HQPlayer using ASDM7ECv2 and default filters.

This is suboptimal too. Same settings as above give you optimal results.

In addition, sinc-Mx is total opposite of the filter in Mola-Mola, which is super short. So maybe something like poly-sinc-gauss-short would be closer match.

Remember that Mola-Mola runs always at "DSD", it internally produces 1-bit stream to it's conversion stages. So you would have been much better running T+A and Holo in DSD. Also objectively better.

(Mola-Mola has similar D/A conversion section as T+A and Holo DSD D/A conversion sections)

I guess that's subjective perception.  I have a hard time believing the entire PCM DAC sections of the May and T+A are completely inferior to their DSD.  I have used the dsd section of the May with various hqplayer settings and it's far too soft for my liking.  I know you design hqplayer so I won't even begin to argue on that as I'll lose on any technical front.  Nor am I criticizing hqplayer, I simply preferred the PCM side of the May.

I really doubt most people are buying these dacs solely to use hqplayer to upsample then convert to dsd then feed the dac.  That's a niche area and overly complicated for most general users.  The DAC should stand on its own in a normal streaming environment.   Maybe you could argue the T+A = Tambaqui with certain specific dsd settings, but that overcomplicates it for me personally.  They designed their own filters and own OS, so it should be fair to assess the DAC on those alone.  If that's not a fair assessment in someone else's eyes that's fine too.

27 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Perhaps "most general users", whomever they may be, might not be buying these DAC to use HQPlayer to upsample, but that certainly does not apply to most members of this forum. T+A's DAC 8 DSD was widely known for the optimized SQ it produced with HQPlayer upsampling to DSD, and was the reason that I and many other members of the AS community bought it. IMO, that applies even more to the DAC 200. However, the DAC 200's PCM output is clearly superior to that of the DAC 8 DSD, and I can see why some might prefer to upsample in the original file's format, although I personally prefer DSD for all.  I must say that I find it somewhat incomprehensible, if not a "travesty", that you did not test the DSD output of these DACs. As it is, according to @Miska, you did not use optimum settings when you upsampled to PCM.

People have different priorities in what they value most highly in music playback. For me, "proper tone for key instruments like piano" is at the top of my list. While it may be "fair" to assess these DACs with their own filters, etc., assessing them with HQPlayer  upsampling is certainly not "unfair", and presents a more complete picture of the most these DACs have to offer..

So the argument here is because I didn't listen to DSD according to Miska's settings I have no idea how good these DACs are or aren't.  Ok.

2 hours ago, nmcleod said:

I have used the dsd section of the May with various hqplayer settings and it's far too soft for my liking.

If you say it is far too soft, I doubt you used ASDM7ECv2 at DSD256 or DSD512.

Maybe you could argue the T+A = Tambaqui with certain specific dsd settings, but that overcomplicates it for me personally.  They designed their own filters and own OS, so it should be fair to assess the DAC on those alone.  If that's not a fair assessment in someone else's eyes that's fine too.

Both May and T+A are two DACs in the same box. And seems like you used only one of the two.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I guess that's subjective perception.  I have a hard time believing the entire PCM DAC sections of the May and T+A are completely inferior to their DSD.  I have used the dsd section of the May with various hqplayer settings and it's far too soft for my liking.  I know you design hqplayer so I won't even begin to argue on that as I'll lose on any technical front.  Nor am I criticizing hqplayer, I simply preferred the PCM side of the May.

I really doubt most people are buying these dacs solely to use hqplayer to upsample then convert to dsd then feed the dac.  That's a niche area and overly complicated for most general users.  The DAC should stand on its own in a normal streaming environment.   Maybe you could argue the T+A = Tambaqui with certain specific dsd settings, but that overcomplicates it for me personally.  They designed their own filters and own OS, so it should be fair to assess the DAC on those alone.  If that's not a fair assessment in someone else's eyes that's fine too.

It’s your preference, and that’s fine. I don’t really think it has anything to do with ‘fair,’ it’s just the comparison you preferred to do. That will be informative for anyone who doesn’t intend to use these DACs with HQPlayer.

Regarding soft vs. more energetic, there are forms of low level distortion that will make music sound more energetic. Whether anything like that would be in play in your case I can’t know.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

54 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you say it is far too soft, I doubt you used ASDM7ECv2 at DSD256 or DSD512.

Both May and T+A are two DACs in the same box. And seems like you used only one of the two.

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

I would not phrase it that way, and that is not my argument. Rather I would say that, notwithstanding how good you know these DACs are, you unfortunately did not avail yourself of the maximum benefit they have to offer. IOW, they are even better than you observed.  

If it is true that the T+A and the May both are superior being fed DSD and using their respective DSD dacs  what sense does it make that they would even include PCM?  All that effort on Holo Audio part to create an r2r ladder for pcm should just have been put into a reasonable interior converter to dsd, likewise with T+A.  Why would they waste this development time, money etc.?  The obvious counterargument is that you need the processing power of a larger comp to achieve some of those results. Yet, many DACs accomplish this internally with great success.   I understand what you're both saying about using all the products features, but I just don't buy the argument that one size DSD fits all.

1 hour ago, nmcleod said:

If it is true that the T+A and the May both are superior being fed DSD and using their respective DSD dacs  what sense does it make that they would even include PCM?

Some audiophiles will swear by PCM. Would it make any commercial sense to restrict the taget audience to people upconverting PCM to DSD?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

17 minutes ago, semente said:

Some audiophiles will swear by PCM. Would it make any commercial sense to restrict the taget audience to people upconverting PCM to DSD?

I used to prefer PCM for a specific DAC (Terminator original) back then when there was no ASDM7EC (or even v2), so I was doing 1.5 PCM with LNS15, (I even had the Amanero interface initially) it is a matter of preference and I totally understand the drawbacks with noise and sampling. After ASDM7EC (and 5EC) were released I have never ever again have done PCM.

But it is a matter of preference and if someone uses it I don't criticize it. I might suggest them to try it if possible but that's the end of it.

Some on this forum were brought to HQPlayer because I suggested them to try it, 90% of these never went back to non-HQP systems.

But this is about the T+A, sorry for the OT

I have owned both the Holo May and now the DAC 200. It might be that with PCM the May and DAC 200 are closer. I used to enjoy, almost prefer, upsampled PCM with the May. DSD was *different* but not necessarily better from a SQ perspective.

I haven’t spent much time with PCM into the DAC 200 but DSD 256/512 into the DAC 200 is immediately and clearly better than the May. No contest. It’s a shame that @nmcleoddidn’t try DSD on either device.  Bonus points for the excellent line stage in the DAC 200 - I am now going direct Balanced XLR to power amps.

(Aside - I don’t think the market is large enough to produce pcm only or dsd only devices but if they did a stripped down DSD only T+A DAC would be killer)

On 4/5/2023 at 7:58 AM, nmcleod said:

I prefer PCM as well.   It’s all a matter of taste.  And yes I find DSD too soft sounding as well. 

you mentioned I think that the May isn’t as weighty and the DS on the T+A?

is the May soft sounding compared to DS DACs in PCM?

Thank you 

3 hours ago, Nkam said:

I prefer PCM as well.   It’s all a matter of taste.  And yes I find DSD too soft sounding as well. 

you mentioned I think that the May isn’t as weighty and the DS on the T+A?

is the May soft sounding compared to DS DACs in PCM?

Thank you 

Is this with volume carefully equalized? DSD is by convention -6dB from PCM, as you probably know. That would certainly account for it sounding softer.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 hours ago, Jud said:

Is this with volume carefully equalized? DSD is by convention -6dB from PCM, as you probably know. That would certainly account for it sounding softer.

i always volume match yes.   
and more so with DSD which I always put 6 clicks above on my benchmark LA4. 

im hardly the only one who thinks DSD is softer. 

but it’s not a big deal.    

we all have our preferences. 
DSD is a cool sound as well. 

1 hour ago, Nkam said:

Which rate and modulator? And compared to what other rate and modulator in case you compare to some DS DAC?

And of course it depends on the used DAC as well, how it is performing the conversion in first place.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Miska said:

I was just trying out Genesis' Trick Of The Tail SACD rip in DSD64 and CD layers on HA 200, and I cannot say that the DSD64 layer would be particularly soft compared to the CD layer. On HA 200.

yeah fair enough.  I haven’t listened to nearly as many DACs as you have.  

maybe I will one day and hear the difference. 

On 3/21/2023 at 4:08 AM, OE333 said:

We have a long experience with the PCM1795 knowing how to make best use of it (including completely a discrete I/V stage). The converter stage of the PCM1995 is a very good design - and that's all we use from this chip. The rest (oversampling/filtering etc.) is completely bypassed.

The PCM circuit design of DAC8DSD and DAC200 is similar but not identical.

For example the DAC200 uses newer clock circuits having much lower jitter. Furthermore a new DSP and new improved upsampling algorithms are used.

The analog stages are completely different. DAC200 uses fully discrete analog circuits derived from the T+A "HV" series.

An other big difference is the analog volume control. In DAC8DSD the volume control used integrated circuits, in DAC200 the volume control is by hermetically sealed gold-contact relays and audiophile high precision resistors.

another question if I may.

Does the DAC 200 have extra headroom for intersample overs? 
To avoid clipping internally ?

much obliged 

On 4/9/2023 at 10:55 AM, Nkam said:

Are you sure that you are not confusing "smoother" with "softer"?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron