IGNORED

I am trying to find a hiqh quality, balanced pre-amp...

On 10/8/2021 at 11:48 AM, Foggie said:

That's what I currently use.  I was going to suggest this and being local is a bonus.  Ralph is top shelf.  The dual chassis MP1 would be the one to get if budget allows.  I had one to try in my system for a few weeks and was just great, wowza.  A bit more then I wanted to spend, so ended up with the MP3 (single chassis).

I like the sep gain adjustments, TRUE balanced design and dual bal outputs etc...I even think Ralph has the patent on the bal circuit (don't quote me), its pretty close to the MP1.  Although I believe the phono circuit is quite a step up over the MP3 - don't recall as phono isn't important to me.

I wouldn't be using the phono section as I have a phono amp I like already. Does the MP3 have the separate gain trim adjustments like the MP1?

No electron left behind.

23 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I don't think I have had it out of Class A yet. Stout would be a good word to describe a Pass amp.

And that at 87 dB SPL (2.83 V/1m)! Stout indeed!

23 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

... I had an opportunity to hear the Pacific and was captivated by it...

Way, way out of my price range of up to 5 - 6K, unfortunately enough... Will try to arrange for an audition of HOLO Audio MAY DAC in my room... I see this R2R DAC is quite popular here, and John Atkinson was also very pleased with it.

I have owned a number of Pass Amps including an INT 30, INT 60, 30.8, 60.8, and have had several other First Watt and Pass products in house for auditions.

I primarily used an XP 20 with the 60.8s and 30.8, but if I were to do it again, I would at least try to audition a tube pre from BAT.  If I were staying with solid state, I would probably just partner with a Pass pre.  I would not go with a passive.

On 10/25/2021 at 2:33 PM, Kimo said:

I primarily used an XP 20 with the 60.8s and 30.8, but if I were to do it again, I would at least try to audition a tube pre from BAT.  If I were staying with solid state, I would probably just partner with a Pass pre.  I would not go with a passive.

Thank you very kindly for your input! 😀Tube pre... Do you believe there can be a true synergy between the SS XA30 amp and a reasonably priced (BAT, IMHO, are way too overpriced...) tubed pre like, for example, Atma Sphere MP-3 If staying with solid state... Did you enjoy the SOUND of your 30.8 and XP-20 pair, please Would you say the XP-20 was a step up from the XP-10 (I am quite familiar with the latter)

1. BAT preamps are typically paired with solid state amps, but the only way to be sure is an in home audition.  Should work on paper, though.

2. With regards to the XP 10 and XP 20, I would say that the 20 presents a smoother more solid sound.  Nevertheless, some may prefer the 10, since they might find the 20 a bit less neutral and a touch veiled or too warm, perhaps.  I wouldn't bother with a 20, if that prospect doesn't' excite you.   

I've been dealing with a Covid infection, so that put a damper on my search for a while, however the list now includes

the XP 12 and 22
Atma-Sphere MP 1 and 3
An ARC Ref 6SE

Others subject to being able to audition them. Luckily, Atma-sphere and ARC are local to me which makes auditioning them much easier.

No electron left behind.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:44 PM, AudioDoctor said:

I've been dealing with a Covid infection, so that put a damper on my search for a while, however the list now includes

the XP 12 and 22
Atma-Sphere MP 1 and 3
An ARC Ref 6SE

Others subject to being able to audition them. Luckily, Atma-sphere and ARC are local to me which makes auditioning them much easier.

I’ve never lived with an ARC Ref but on a couple of occasions I compared the current ARC Ref to whatever the LS was at the time. Was pretty close each time. I thought to myself that the LS was close enough for me given the money difference.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

@AudioDoctor, how's the search going?

My MOON 740P finally made it through the Covid shipping mess and is now a bit more than half-way through the recommended burn-in process of 200 hours.

It's sounding great, and has improved a fair bit since the initial turn-on. The flexible set-up options are just what I wanted. It is a clear improvement over my previous pre, with more detail in the music and it's seemingly neutral and transparent.

@AudioDoctor

This mine does not want to be a real advice. I am in the same condition as you; my power amp is fully  balanced and I'm searching for a true balanced preamp without any added colorations. At the end I chose the Holo Serene, which however, is in pre-order. Yes, it is made in China but the company have a good reputation and the unit has an impeccable construction with discrete components. if I hadn't taken this I would probably have bought the Benchmark LA4, which is built in USA but without discrete components. 

Any other solution I have evaluated seemed (on paper) poorer or unnecessarily expensive. 

16 hours ago, GregWormald said:

@AudioDoctor, how's the search going?

My MOON 740P finally made it through the Covid shipping mess and is now a bit more than half-way through the recommended burn-in process of 200 hours.

It's sounding great, and has improved a fair bit since the initial turn-on. The flexible set-up options are just what I wanted. It is a clear improvement over my previous pre, with more detail in the music and it's seemingly neutral and transparent.

Honestly, I haven't been putting much effort into it lately as life has been taking over, but I think I am going to audition an Atma-sphere pre first and here is why. I was auditioning a Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL pre and really liked it it. There were 2 things I didn't like about it. First, it's not balanced. It had a transformer coupled balanced input, but after that it was all single ended. Second, it was far too sensitive I guess is the right word as it only required .77 volts to reach max output. I had to use its gain adjustments to tone it down and get useful volume range out of it. I see the specs are now listing .6 volts... I had to adjust the gain down -30db.

The Atma-sphere pre amp is also an OTL circuit, it's fully balanced, has gain adjustments, and I hope some of the same characteristics to the sound as the LTA pre amp did while being a better match with the rest of my equipment.

edit: and its local.

No electron left behind.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...