IGNORED

I am trying to find a hiqh quality, balanced pre-amp...

Just now, AudioDoctor said:

And this is an attempt at what exactly?

At nothing. Lampizator seems to make units that fit your needs, and you already have another Lampi component. So I was suggesting you might be happy with a pre from them. 

I thought your response implied something negative about their customer service. If I'm wrong, my apologies.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 minute ago, firedog said:

At nothing. Lampizator seems to make units that fit your needs, and you already have another Lampi component. So I was suggesting you might be happy with a pre from them. 

I thought your response implied something negative about their customer service. If I'm wrong, my apologies.

Not only did I never imply that, I never asked for "what should I get." What I did ask for was recommendations within a certain set of criteria because I am not aware of all the various options available and I know that the larger the group the more broad the experiences and therefore the more varied the recommendations will be that I can then pick from and make my own decisions from.

Right now, you are attempting the same sort of replies that Kal did. If you have something to say, be direct about it or don't say anything at all.

No electron left behind.

Just now, AudioDoctor said:

Not only did I never imply that, I never asked for "what should I get." What I did ask for was recommendations within a certain set of criteria because I am not aware of all the various options available and I know that the larger the group the more broad the experiences and therefore the more varied the recommendations will be that I can then pick from and make my own decisions from.

Right now, you are attempting the same sort of replies that Kal did. If you have something to say, be direct about it or don't say anything at all.

Wow, where's the attitude from?

I don't think Kal, myself, or anyone else in the thread has done anything except to try and be helpful. Who hasn't been trying to suggest suitable options? I certainly have no horse in this race and am personally indifferent to your choice of equipment. I don't even use a preamp in my daily listening. 

Everything I have to say was written. No hidden agenda. 

Maybe before projecting all sorts of motives to other posters, take into account that this medium is generally made up of brief texts and lends itself to misinterpretation, as we don't have tone of voice or facial expression to go on.

Again, no disrespect intended. My apologies if something I wrote unintentionally upset you in some way.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, Summit said:

Aesthetix Janus Signature or Eclipse 

ARC 5 or ARC 6

MOON 740P 

Constellation Audio Inspiration

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@AudioDoctor Look at the Constellation Audio Inspiration Preamp. I've had it for years. Rock solid. Sounds fantastic. 

https://www.constellationaudio.com/index.php/inspiration/preamp-10

Thanks for letting me know about the Constellation Audio Inspiration, this looks interesting.

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not so sure Spectral is the way to go for those who like balanced operation. Spectral advocates using its products single ended. Other than that, fantastic stuff. 

Interesting. I've been out of the loop long enough that last time I paid attention they were advocating fully balanced throughout.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

Interesting. I've been out of the loop long enough that last time I paid attention they were advocating fully balanced throughout.

Yeah, kind of strange. The company also only promotes single ended cabling. 

http://www.spectralaudio.com/Spectral MIT Cables/Interconnects/Spectral MIT Interconnects.htm

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'm surprised no-one has so far recommended the Holo Audio Serene which has a thread right under this.  It is fully balanced input-to-output, uses a resistor ladder volume control and sounds brilliant.  My system has never sounded so good than with the Serene in the loop, and I just came from an all-digital front end with software volume this time.  

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

23 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Basically, the sound quality and the functionality.

The story:)

I wanted something that matched the quality of my new speakers (fully active) and DAC, and had excellent volume control. My current pre is over 30 years old and despite being well maintained is the weak point in my system.

With zombies curtailing much auditioning I started to read copiously and settled on reviewers who appeared “serious” and were just not just repeating the PR blurbs.

The SimAudio Moon received much enthusiastic praise for its flexibility and neutrality and no negatives anywhere.

I liked the very fine volume control, and the way they put the volume inside the main circuits rather than as an ‘outside’ loop. The ±10 dB control of each input appealed, as did the completely balanced configuration. Both a R-L balance control and a way to connect my headphone amplifier were a must.

I was impressed that they offered a 10 year warranty and that they made many of the components themselves.

I went out and auditioned one of its younger siblings and liked both the sound and the ergonomics. The visual design was a bonus.

I decided to order one and was told there wasn’t one in Australia and the wait time would be a minimum of 22 weeks with likely delivery well after Christmas.

At this point I started reviewing my reading, looking for a second choice. I also wrote to SimAudio expressing my disappointment and asking if my sister in Vancouver could buy one and send it to me.

I had decided on the Pass XP-12 as a viable option, the reviews were almost as good as the 740P, and I was setting up an audition when Simaudio replied.

They said that the 240 volt models were not supplied in North America and that it would be a grey import anyway and without support in Australia. However they would make one up especially for me and insure it was in my hands in 6 six weeks if ordered. 

As it was my first choice, I ordered. I also ordered a phono pre from them. I did not audition the XP-12 after that.

I just went and read the specs and a few blurbs about it, that made the list.

No electron left behind.

I saw that Ayre was finally mentioned. If it was my money the battle would be Ayre vs ARC. One other I did hear that was absurdly expensive was BAT (I think it was $30k.) I didn’t think it sounded any better than the others. I think past a point you are just paying for a label, or paying whatever they think they can get out of you.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

21 hours ago, Kelly said:

I saw that Ayre was finally mentioned. If it was my money the battle would be Ayre vs ARC. One other I did hear that was absurdly expensive was BAT (I think it was $30k.) I didn’t think it sounded any better than the others. I think past a point you are just paying for a label, or paying whatever they think they can get out of you.

I hear BAT is super nice, but overpriced. If they cut prices by 2/3rds I might be interested but 30k for a pre-amp is ridiculous...

I just realized I said that while sitting here listening to my 30+k DAC warm up... ha.

No electron left behind.

@AudioDoctor  If you find something you like, you might want to check out The Music Room for used gear.  Here's a link to their Pre amp page in descending $ order.

https://tmraudio.com/components/preamplifiers/?sort=pricedesc

I look a couple times every week for new arrivals in the speakers, amps and DACs categories .  Many hi and low end gear to glance at.  I've purchased a few items from them in the past and have sold a few to them.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

9 hours ago, ShawnC said:

@AudioDoctor  If you find something you like, you might want to check out The Music Room for used gear.  Here's a link to their Pre amp page in descending $ order.

https://tmraudio.com/components/preamplifiers/?sort=pricedesc

I look a couple times every week for new arrivals in the speakers, amps and DACs categories .  Many hi and low end gear to glance at.  I've purchased a few items from them in the past and have sold a few to them.

Thanks, another place to dream about spending all my money...  ;-)

No electron left behind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 9:16 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Does anyone have experience with Atma-Sphere pre amps?

That's what I currently use.  I was going to suggest this and being local is a bonus.  Ralph is top shelf.  The dual chassis MP1 would be the one to get if budget allows.  I had one to try in my system for a few weeks and was just great, wowza.  A bit more then I wanted to spend, so ended up with the MP3 (single chassis).

I like the sep gain adjustments, TRUE balanced design and dual bal outputs etc...I even think Ralph has the patent on the bal circuit (don't quote me), its pretty close to the MP1.  Although I believe the phono circuit is quite a step up over the MP3 - don't recall as phono isn't important to me.

My rig

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 1:19 PM, AudioDoctor said:

The XP-22 is $9500 and I am not too interested in going much further. And I am also not sure that performance delta over the XP-12 is worth the price delta between the two.

Am I correct assuming you did audition both in your room If I may also inquire, what speakers do you employ with your PASS Labs XA30.8, please

1 hour ago, SoundSparks said:

Am I correct assuming you did audition both in your room If I may also inquire, what speakers do you employ with your PASS Labs XA30.8, please

You would not be correct with that assumption. I have not auditioned either of them yet, anywhere. Currently I am using a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica 1, I have on order a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica Nova 2.

No electron left behind.

On 10/18/2021 at 6:17 PM, AudioDoctor said:

I have on order a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica Nova 2.

They are gorgeous indeed, but 88 dB SPL (2.83V/1 m)... Your experience demonstrates I was very wrong not even considering any speakers with sensitivity lower than 90 dB to pair with my XA30.5... I certainly do not want to hijack the thread, but could you please tell me if you auditioned any SW1X DAC's before deciding on your excellent Lampizator DAC?

On 10/8/2021 at 1:22 PM, AudioDoctor said:

SO I just had to look and see where in the area Atma-Sphere is located... Ralph could almost walk it to me.

Please, please do keep us posted!

22 minutes ago, SoundSparks said:

I certainly do not want to hijack the thread, but could you please tell me if you auditioned any SW1X DAC's before deciding on your excellent Lampizator DAC?

I did not, I had an opportunity to hear the Pacific and was captivated by it and needed one at that point. I normally would have never considered a DAC this expensive.

the Pass amp may be an outlier in amps that claim to make 30 watts. It makes 30 watts of Class A power at 8 ohms. 60 watts at 4 ohms, and then goes into class A/B. I don't think I have had it out of Class A yet. Stout would be a good word to describe a Pass amp.

No electron left behind.