IGNORED

HQPWV (HQPlayer Web Viewer)

llamaluv

2 hours ago, sledwards said:

Great job on this. Question: How do I bring up a list of the favorite tracks I have selected by clicking the "heart"?

Thanks and good point, I need to figure out introducing some extra UI to do this, maybe incorporated into the "search" panel.

Relatedly, it'd be nice to make albums "heart"-able as well...

hqplayer, pggb > src-dx > opto-dx > dave > pass labs x150.8, bakoon amp-13r, cayin ha-300 > abyss phi tc, susvara, utopia, auteur

On 9/7/2021 at 4:45 PM, llamaluv said:

I've posted a new release on github - v0.9.4, which now includes a binary for Linux (thanks @jabbr and @antonellocaroli for asking about Linux, earlier).

Also fixes bug where a track in custom playlists would fail if the filename has certain special characters (thanks @Bob Stern).

Brilliant! Easy peasy

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Advantages over hqpd control? Or is this something else?

Can be installed on mac m1?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

17 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Advantages over hqpd control? Or is this something else?

The main differentiator is that HQPWV runs on the web browser.

It requires running a server app -- either on the same machine that's running HQPlayer or on a different machine on the same network. The server app will run on Windows, Linux, or MacOS (which ought to include M1 yea). So in that sense, it has one extra "moving part".

However, once the web server is running, if offers the convenience of being able to be used on any locally connected mobile device or computer (with a modern browser) on your local network...

hqplayer, pggb > src-dx > opto-dx > dave > pass labs x150.8, bakoon amp-13r, cayin ha-300 > abyss phi tc, susvara, utopia, auteur

On 9/7/2021 at 7:03 PM, sledwards said:

Question: How do I bring up a list of the favorite tracks I have selected by clicking the "heart"?

On 9/7/2021 at 9:58 PM, llamaluv said:

Thanks and good point, I need to figure out introducing some extra UI to do this, maybe incorporated into the "search" panel.

Relatedly, it'd be nice to make albums "heart"-able as well...

Hi, I've posted another update, executables on github -- v0.9.5:

• Added ability to "favorite" albums (not just individual tracks)
  • Added favorite albums listing (via search panel)
  • Added favorite tracks listing (via search panel). Thanks, @sledwards for asking about this.
  • Reworked search UI generally

llamaluv:

As long as you keep including more functionality, I will happily add to the request list:

Favorite track list: Consider one entry per line (maybe track name, artist, and album) and sort the list by artist

Genres: Can you add the capability to handle multiple genres in tags? 

UI: Can you please freeze the top two lines (HQplayer Web Viewer and Library) when scrolling?

10 hours ago, sledwards said:

llamaluv:

As long as you keep including more functionality, I will happily add to the request list:

Favorite track list: Consider one entry per line (maybe track name, artist, and album) and sort the list by artist

Genres: Can you add the capability to handle multiple genres in tags? 

UI: Can you please freeze the top two lines (HQplayer Web Viewer and Library) when scrolling?

Thanks, I really like these suggestions.

I agree that using a 2-column layout for the track listing under Search is probably counter-productive and makes it less scannable.

On the genre tag,  I guess I never really pay attention to the genre tag in my own personal use, so never noticed that as a matter of convention, it looks like multiple values get stored in that field, separated by commas or semi-colons, it looks like. This will go on the list as well.

On the top two lines of UI elements, I'm still on the fence on how to handle this, but the current behavior has proven to be unnecessarily inconvenient in practice, especially with long lists on a touch device. I'll continue to think on this...

9 hours ago, sledwards said:

llamaluv:

It appears library search is not working on my iPad and is working on my MacBook Pro. Both are running Chrome.

Steve

Follow-up on this issue. I have tried browsers on all 4 of my Apple devices; both Chrome and Safari. Library search works on my iMac and Mac Book Pro for both browsers. Library search does not work at all on my iPad Pro and iPhone 12. Your new favorite tracks list does works on all four devices. Hope this helps and you can repeat behavior.

1 hour ago, sledwards said:

Follow-up on this issue. I have tried browsers on all 4 of my Apple devices; both Chrome and Safari. Library search works on my iMac and Mac Book Pro for both browsers. Library search does not work at all on my iPad Pro and iPhone 12. Your new favorite tracks list does works on all four devices. Hope this helps and you can repeat behavior.

Steve, thanks for the detailed info. From the readme file:

If using desktop or mobile Safari, it must be a recent version, circa April 2021

More specifically,  iOS 14.5+ is required. If either of your iOS devices are v14.5 or later though, do let me know. If they're not, then I'm surprised the page works at all, lol.

I will probably have to bite the bullet and re-tool the project a bit to make the app play nice with older versions of Safari, I'd guess sooner rather than later...

47 minutes ago, jvvita said:

Since we are at this, is it possible to include control of the “matrix-pipeline” feature? It would make comparing filter so much easier.

Ooh, so I'm totally unfamiliar with that feature of HQPlayer tbh. I will start looking into this, but I doubt it's something I will even start to approach for some time...

59 minutes ago, llamaluv said:

More specifically,  iOS 14.5+ is required. If either of your iOS devices are v14.5 or later though, do let me know. If they're not, then I'm surprised the page works at all, lol.

iOS devices are both running 14.7.1.  Must be an app issue like you say.

Another request:  Maybe by now you have realized I am currently using Roon with HQPlayer (embedded) and would very much like to sideline Roon based on superior sound quality from HQPlayer/NAA only in audio path. I was able to export a large favorite track list from Roon and import m3u8 playlist into HQPWV.  I would very much like to add a selected subset of the current playlist into a new queue for playback. Somehow bring up the selected custom playlist and give user option to load entire playlist into queue or a set of individual files.

Steve

25 minutes ago, sledwards said:

I would very much like to add a selected subset of the current playlist into a new queue for playback. Somehow bring up the selected custom playlist and give user option to load entire playlist into queue or a set of individual files.

Steve

Another thought on playlist/favorite tracks. In a way they are very similar. I have noticed the imported track playlist is not really edit friendly thus far. Looking at the format of the playlist, it's format would work well for the favorite tracks list. The small album art helps separate the albums the track came from.  A key feature is the ability to add a track to favorites from whatever menu/screen the track appears in and to keep the favorite track list in sorted order..

Thanks,

Steve

47 minutes ago, sledwards said:

I was able to export a large favorite track list from Roon and import m3u8 playlist into HQPWV.  I would very much like to add a selected subset of the current playlist into a new queue for playback. Somehow bring up the selected custom playlist and give user option to load entire playlist into queue or a set of individual files.

16 minutes ago, sledwards said:

Another thought on playlist/favorite tracks. In a way they are very similar. I have noticed the imported track playlist is not really edit friendly thus far. Looking at the format of the playlist, it's format would work well for the favorite tracks list. The small album art helps separate the albums the track came from.  A key feature is the ability to add a track to favorites from whatever menu/screen the track appears in and to keep the favorite track list in sorted order..

I appreciate this insight. I'm going to work on making the track listing under "search" look and behave the same or similarly to the way it's done in the Playlist view. And the track list items need a favorite button for sure.

On editing the playlist, I agree the current UI is only suitable for doing simple edits. This'll have to go on the to-do list as well :)

In the meantime, it's simple enough to manually edit the m3u8 files that are generated upon saving a 'custom' playlist, or even create new ones and save them to the same directory. The custom playlists that HQPWV generate live in the folder "hqpwv-playlists", which is created in the same folder that the hqpwv executable lives in.

@llamaluv  

I was making an ebuild for gentoo linux, so I could install it through portage, with the related init script to launch it as a service, but I noticed a couple of things you should make a bit more "standard".

the name of the zipper file would be better like:

hqpwv-server-0.9.5-linux.zip

the binary included inside should have a name without version like
hqpwv-server
or
hqpwv-server.bin
the bin dot is not necessary, but if you can't do without it.

Another question is:
do you plan to release a binary for arm64 as well?

On 9/9/2021 at 4:04 PM, llamaluv said:

However, once the web server is running, if offers the convenience of being able to be used on any locally connected mobile device or computer (with a modern browser) on your local network...

Just a thought - perhaps not restricted to the local network.  I'm not sure about playing the resulting output to a remote location, but you could certainly control the app remotely and securely.  (I've been interested in the general topic, see below:)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

15 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

@llamaluv  

I was making an ebuild for gentoo linux, so I could install it through portage, with the related init script to launch it as a service, but I noticed a couple of things you should make a bit more "standard". [...]

Thanks, I'm not too much of a Linux person, so this info is useful. FYI, I'll probably continue including the version + platform info in the executables' filenames, at least while this is in an "alpha" state and I continue to release frequently. But your point's well taken.

Also, I'll remove the ".bin" suffix. I thought the binary wouldn't run without it when I tested it on my Linux Mint VM, but I just doublechecked and I was mistaken, lol.

15 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

do you plan to release a binary for arm64 as well?

Yes, I think I should! Please watch out for it with the next release. I don't have a Linux arm64 device so would love some verification that it does run as expected.

15 hours ago, Jud said:

Just a thought - perhaps not restricted to the local network.  I'm not sure about playing the resulting output to a remote location, but you could certainly control the app remotely and securely.

Heh, I've thought about this in passing. I believe it would be simply a matter of setting up port forwarding on the router to expose the HQPWV webserver to the outside world.

It would be amusing to think of a use case where this could actually be... useful?

45 minutes ago, llamaluv said:

Heh, I've thought about this in passing. I believe it would be simply a matter of setting up port forwarding on the router to expose the HQPWV webserver to the outside world.

It would be amusing to think of a use case where this could actually be... useful?

If

- You had fast enough upload and

- Something at the remote end to receive the upsampled signal

then from a remote location you could run your home music collection through HQP and listen remotely.

The first requirement is becoming available to more people. The second lots of people have or can afford (in my case iPhone and Camera Connection Kit plus iFi Hip DAC).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.