IGNORED

HQPWV (HQPlayer Web Viewer)

llamaluv

3 hours ago, llamaluv said:

New release, v0.9.9

• Albums in the library can now be grouped by year (or decade) (thanks @Khordo)
  • Albums can now be searched by year as well

Now since the Date metadata field is shown in HQPlayer and grouping by year has been added, it wouldn't be hard to add sorting by dates (either from oldest to newest or newest to oldest).

10 hours ago, Khordo said:

- Catch Artist / Album Biography form external site (Last.fm, Spotify whatever...like we have in roon or musicbee)

Definitely agree about adding artist and album bios. It would make album pages more complete with less whitespace. Going from artist -> album can also increase performance (my 3 year old Ryzen computer and phone doesn't like it when all 5K albums are shown at once) and allow the artist bios to show.

Oh and artists aren't shown in track listings, meaning in albums where vocalists take credit or in various artists albums, you have no idea who is the artist until you play the song. A simple Artist - Album or having the composer and track artist/performer have their own lines

Mock-ups of what it could look like are at the end of this post

PS: It was funny clicking on an album image only to see it shrink to nothingness; but was definitely not practical

opera_2021-09-18_20-08-26.png

opera_2021-09-18_20-42-39.png

18 hours ago, sledwards said:

It looks like no dates are being extracted for DSF files. All my DSDs are showing up as "No Year"

I just sourced a half-dozen DSD albums of errm "miscellaneous provenance" (for science), and all did have year info in the ID3 tags in their DSF files, but only one of the six had that info being shown in the HQPlayer Desktop interface when a track is played and is also not being passed through the HQPlayer API using the "date" property. @Miska am I missing something, or is this a known thing? (or neither?)

hqplayer, pggb > src-dx > opto-dx > dave > pass labs x150.8, bakoon amp-13r, cayin ha-300 > abyss phi tc, susvara, utopia, auteur

16 hours ago, Mr Pops Alot said:

(my 3 year old Ryzen computer and phone doesn't like it when all 5K albums are shown at once)

Noted. I think I'll need to add pagination for long lists, or at least make pagination optional.

16 hours ago, Mr Pops Alot said:

artists aren't shown in track listings, meaning in albums where vocalists take credit or in various artists albums, you have no idea who is the artist until you play the song. A simple Artist - Album or having the composer and track artist/performer have their own lines

Mock-ups of what it could look like are at the end of this post

Okay I'm glad you're raising this. I'll add song artist when it exists to the track list items, I think that makes sense.

hqplayer, pggb > src-dx > opto-dx > dave > pass labs x150.8, bakoon amp-13r, cayin ha-300 > abyss phi tc, susvara, utopia, auteur

39 minutes ago, llamaluv said:

Noted. I think I'll need to add pagination for long lists, or at least make pagination optional.

Okay I'm glad you're raising this. I'll add song artist when it exists to the track list items, I think that makes sense.

Compilations or mixed artist albums have always been a challenge to handle in music players. Some use the 'albumartist' tag to indicate track artist, others like myself set the 'compilation' flag to a value of "1". Could you add these two tags to your "group by" menu? Currently when I search for an an album with various artists, it lists the artist of the last track listed as the album artist, which is not useful.

On 9/19/2021 at 10:09 PM, llamaluv said:

I just sourced a half-dozen DSD albums of errm "miscellaneous provenance" (for science), and all did have year info in the ID3 tags in their DSF files, but only one of the six had that info being shown in the HQPlayer Desktop interface when a track is played and is also not being passed through the HQPlayer API using the "date" property. @Miska am I missing something, or is this a known thing? (or neither?)

Which ID3 date tag did it have, and which ID3 version?

HQPlayer uses the 2.4/2.3 tags in following priority order: TDRC -> TDOR -> TDRL

And 2.2 tags in following priorioty order: TIM -> TDA -> TYE

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Which ID3 date tag did it have, and which ID3 version?

HQPlayer uses the 2.4/2.3 tags in following priority order: TDRC -> TDOR -> TDRL

And 2.2 tags in following priorioty order: TIM -> TDA -> TYE

Of the 6 albums I tried, the one where HQPlayer did populate its date field based on the track's metadata were DFF files, ID3v2.4.

With the other 5 albums, HQPlayer did not populate its tracks' date fields. They were all DSF files using ID3v2.3. MP3Tag showed the tracks of all 5 albums having the "YEAR" metadata property populated.

Edit: When I try to edit the tag of a DSF ID3v2.3 file, I notice that "MP3Tag" doesn't show those 4-letter mneumonic codes. Not sure the significance of that, but here's a screenshot:

mp3tag.thumb.jpg.c2dd708b0ff2b080f46d309499307ca3.jpg

44 minutes ago, llamaluv said:

Of the 6 albums I tried, the one where HQPlayer did populate its date field based on the track's metadata were DFF files, ID3v2.4.

With the other 5 albums, HQPlayer did not populate its tracks' date fields. They were all DSF files using ID3v2.3. MP3Tag showed the tracks of all 5 albums having the "YEAR" metadata property populated.

Edit: When I try to edit the tag of a DSF ID3v2.3 file, I notice that "MP3Tag" doesn't show those 4-letter mneumonic codes. Not sure the significance of that, but here's a screenshot:

ID3 v2.2 has 3-character tags while ID3 v2.3 and v2.4 have 4-character tags. The actual tag ID is the important thing. Another is whether the actual stored data complies with the tag specification. But date and genre tags tend to be PITA, because they are more or less random collection.

On Linux you can use "hexdump -C" on a file to have a good view. On DSF, ID3 tags are placed at the end of the file. Likely you can find hexadecimal raw file viewers for other OS too.

On 9/19/2021 at 4:19 PM, sledwards said:

Compilations or mixed artist albums have always been a challenge to handle in music players. Some use the 'albumartist' tag to indicate track artist, others like myself set the 'compilation' flag to a value of "1". Could you add these two tags to your "group by" menu? Currently when I search for an an album with various artists, it lists the artist of the last track listed as the album artist, which is not useful.

HQPlayer forwards only a few properties over through its API. As you imply, track metadata, in all its fullness, is a messy business (I confess I barely pay attention to track metadata in my personal use of music players, but now I'm having to get better acquainted with, heh). But HQPlayer distills what there is to be found in the metadata and assigns just a few key properties at the album level and also at the per-track level. At least that's my take, looking from the outside-in at the data it supplies.

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Any chance to get this working on a Pi 4? I’d love to setup my Pi 4 powered via PoE to just do this. Would be cool. 

Good question! I do want to get this running on ARM64.

I spent a couple hours recently fighting the internet trying to figure out how to get ARM64 Linux running in a virtual machine so I can compile a binary, but eventually had to walk away from it. I may need to get a (physical) Pi setup going so I can add ARM64 as one of the binaries.

It's not too difficult to run from the source code as well, especially in a Linux environment -- by pulling it off of Github, so long as Node.js is installed.

Also, @antonellocaroli was able to make a binary of a recent release of the app for ARM64; I'm sure he'd be willing to share :)

25 minutes ago, llamaluv said:

Good question! I do want to get this running on ARM64.

I spent a couple hours recently fighting the internet trying to figure out how to get ARM64 Linux running in a virtual machine so I can compile a binary, but eventually had to walk away from it. I may need to get a (physical) Pi setup going so I can add ARM64 as one of the binaries.

It's not too difficult to run from the source code as well, especially in a Linux environment -- by pulling it off of Github, so long as Node.js is installed.

Also, @antonellocaroli was able to make a binary of a recent release of the app for ARM64; I'm sure he'd be willing to share :)

Cool. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, Miska said:

ID3 v2.2 has 3-character tags while ID3 v2.3 and v2.4 have 4-character tags. The actual tag ID is the important thing. Another is whether the actual stored data complies with the tag specification. But date and genre tags tend to be PITA, because they are more or less random collection.

On Linux you can use "hexdump -C" on a file to have a good view. On DSF, ID3 tags are placed at the end of the file. Likely you can find hexadecimal raw file viewers for other OS too.

In all 5 cases , the text for year comes after "TYER". Is that helpful?

522466244_ScreenShot2021-09-21at10_56_38PM.png.fa019e7b7b17e50af52c86c5b9befa8b.png

2 hours ago, llamaluv said:

But HQPlayer distills what there is to be found in the metadata and assigns just a few key properties at the album level and also at the per-track level. At least that's my take, looking from the outside-in at the data it supplies.

So if I understand correctly, this is out of your control and Miska would have to open up metadata like 'compilation' and 'albumartist' before you could do anything to flag various artist albums?

1 minute ago, sledwards said:

So if I understand correctly, this is out of your control and Miska would have to open up metadata like 'compilation' and 'albumartist' before you could do anything to flag various artist albums?

Yea.

7 hours ago, llamaluv said:

In all 5 cases , the text for year comes after "TYER". Is that helpful?

522466244_ScreenShot2021-09-21at10_56_38PM.png.fa019e7b7b17e50af52c86c5b9befa8b.png

Yes it is, that one is not used by HQPlayer, see my earlier message:

21 hours ago, Miska said:

TYER is not included in the ID3v2.4 spec, it is only in ID3v2.3. I can look into adding support for TYER/TORY.

7 hours ago, sledwards said:

There is already support for "albumartist". In such case, library data includes the "albumartist" as artist for the album and then the "artist" becomes artist for each track separately. If tracks have the same artist, it is stored only for the album entry.

As usual, if in doubt, check how HQPlayer Client presents the data.

10 hours ago, llamaluv said:

New release, v0.9.10

• Now displays any supplemental album and track metadata that's supplied by HQPlayer (album composer, album performer, track artist, track composer track performer) (thanks @Mr Pops Alot)
  • Server-side logic to improve stability when more than one browser client is connected to the HQPWV server at the same time.

Here's an example of what the extra data looks like displayed in the app:

1898450015_albumview.thumb.png.f59cf79b3b12e05567bdc99e86533b56.png

675101852_playlistview.thumb.png.ae80a674c910be2177d3d38408bbb5e4.png

How about to add a possibility for Windows x32bit support? Just considering to use an old tablet for the case😁

Thank you.

How about to add a possibility for Windows x32bit support? Just considering to use an old tablet for the case😁

Thank you.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:52 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Any chance to get this working on a Pi 4? I’d love to setup my Pi 4 powered via PoE to just do this. Would be cool. 

Better yet would be to create a Docker container for it and you can run it on your QNap as well.

I just might try this out this week….