IGNORED

Linear Power Supply for digital streaming (again).

Hello all, I'm new here, however I was following quit some time very long and intresting your threads about power supplies for digital streaming part.

However couldn't find exact answer. No doubt, that LPS is important for all digital streaming closest to DACs and streamers, but would it be beneficial to use for NAS + Roon Rock + switch, which are all connected to separate mains line and are in separate floor? 

To expensive to buy expensive several LPS just for testing or to know that they at least won't make things any worse. Has anybody tested it? 

Hi @LukasAudio78,

There is no perfect answer to this as varies in different systems so you need to try for yourself. But in general principle an LPS should have the biggest effect on the Roon Rock, then the switch and least effect on the NAS. In theory!

If the switch is an audiophile one with reclocking then the switch should respond more to an LPS.

The other aspect to consider is how the equipment is connected to your streamer or DAC. In theory the best methods would be Fibre optic, then Ethernet, and WiFi last.

But Fibre opens its own list of questions depending on whether your switch supports it and do you need to buy a decent (audiophile decoder) such as a Sonore OpticalModule etc.

Sorry mate but your whole question is a rabbit hole. I'd probably start with the Rock myself FWIW.

PS welcome to the site.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Thanks for trying to answer, Alan,  I agree with you, mostly everything with LPS starts a rabbit hole, but seems I should jump off the bus with this upgrade, because to buy just for try is too expensive.  My roonrock is powered, but just by low quality Dutch Sbooster MK3 LPS and  I didn't, notice any difference with it connected.  Maybe it's because LPS is not quality enough or my Roonrock + NAS are enough separated?     RRock > NAS > cat6 >   'audiophile' bonn8 switch > streamingDAC  > mono blocks.

46 minutes ago, MaxBuck said:

If the manufacturer of the (objectively) best amplifier on earth says switching power supplies are fine, who am I to argue? 

So claim Robert Watts the designer of Cord Dave, and he is proven wrong 😀

(Read last few pages novel tread). 

1 minute ago, opus101 said:

They omit any discussion of common-mode noise. So you wanna buy an argument from authority?

Benchmark makes the quietest amplifier on the planet. Noise of any kind is not an issue for their design. So you wanna revisit your argument? 

4 hours ago, opus101 said:

No need to revisit because you've not told me anything I didn't know before. So their omission of discussion of the topic of common-mode noise still stands.

Actually, it is relevant. Why? They make both professional and consumer grade products which ALL use switching PS w/o any issue. I would like to see the actual common-mode noise measurements. Which I have asked for on various audio forums and all people can say is, 'I can hear it'. Doesn't mean squat to me, since I don't know how the listening test was done, etc. 

@March Audiowas doing actual noise measurements from a PC stressed versus not stressed - with and without a signal. No common-mode noise there. I guess he is doing something wrong?

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

They see no issue, doesn't mean there cannot be any issue with CM noise. Does their amp have single-ended inputs? I would guess not. With balanced inputs and where the pin1 is wired per AES recommendations there wouldn't be an issue.

@March Audio didn't make any CM noise measurements so no surprise that he didn't see any.

Last few posts are pretty off topic so let's get back to the Ops question please.

@LukasAudio78 If you tried an Sbooster on the Rock and didn't hear an improvement then its probably not worth spending more on a better LPSU. 

Also sounds like your system is connecting to your DAC by Ethernet:

NAS > Rock > Bonn > DAC

Is that correct?

For me the question becomes what DAC are you using and do we know if it is better with Ethernet or USB input? Or do you prefer Ethernet for any reason.

If Ethernet then either a good quality 5V LPSU for your Bonn switch. Or perhaps even a better quality Ethernet cable.

If your DAC is better at USB then perhaps a good NAA endpoint that takes Ethernet in and outputs high quality USB. Something like the Sonore UltraRendu. But you'd also need a decent LPSU for the NAA.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Hello, thanks for feedback Alan, also @Blackmorec post is very informative, just too complicated to understand in my case:)   My chain is the following, everything connected by ethernet Cat5, and NDX2 at the end by BlueJeans Cat6 Ethernet cables.  Wifi in no no for Naim. 

In Asus router and Tplink switch connected various tv, philips hue and similar boxes.  Everything powered by switching PS. except Roonrock. 

1st floor:  [ISP Modem] ->[  Asus Router  ] -> [2x Bonn] -> [Naim NDX2]

V

2nd floor:  [HS453 NAS]<- [ Tplilnk switch ] ->  [RRock]

I'm not surprised a linear power supply didn't affect sound quality of your Roon Rock. I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop. I can't hear any difference whether powered by its SMPS or battery. Upgrading the PSU on my Raspberry Pi 3B+ from the freebie wall wart to an iPower 5V had no effect on the sound.

OTOH, I do believe in psu upgrades elsewhere. I use Teddy Pardo 12/2 on my DAC and a Welborne Labs PS-REG on my sMS-200. I have Zero-Zone linear power supplies on my Playpoint Streamer, range extender and router. I use an iPower X SMPS on my TP-Link switch. I have not upgraded the power supply on my NAS and likely never will. I've used various methods to upgrade power on my other inexpensive DAC's.

The wall wart my internet provider supplied with modem was ruining the sound on all my systems. Replacing it with an iPower 12V resolved the issue. I suspect this device was defective, but it goes to show that everything upstream can have an effect, even though separated physically via w-fi.

All of the above had definite sonic benefits except for replacing the SMPS on the Playpoint with a very nice Zero-Zone 2020 S.S. LPS, which had minimal effect. I don't regret doing this however, as it was the only remaining SMPS in my main system.

Replacing the wall wart on my TP-Link TL-SG108E ethernet switch with the Welborne 9V LPS was actually detrimental to the sound. Adding an iPower X 9V SMPS proved to be the right answer. This was a bit of surprise, but I have heard a couple of manufacturers state that an LPS is not recommended for some purely digital gear because it does not react quickly enough.

Note that an Uptone JS-2, Teddy Pardo 12/2 and Zero-Zone 2020 are not traditional linear power supplies. They feature a bank of capacitors that act like a battery, without the downsides of a battery. 

My advice is to go back to the SMPS for the RRock, re-deploy the SBooster elsewhere in your system and get an iPower X for your TP-Link switch, as a good start. Then continue down the rabbit hole if you're as bent as many of us here. 🤪 

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipowerx/

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

4 hours ago, LukasAudio78 said:

Hello, thanks for feedback Alan, also @Blackmorec post is very informative, just too complicated to understand in my case:)   My chain is the following, everything connected by ethernet Cat5, and NDX2 at the end by BlueJeans Cat6 Ethernet cables.  Wifi in no no for Naim. 

In Asus router and Tplink switch connected various tv, philips hue and similar boxes.  Everything powered by switching PS. except Roonrock. 

1st floor:  [ISP Modem] ->[  Asus Router  ] -> [2x Bonn] -> [Naim NDX2]

V

2nd floor:  [HS453 NAS]<- [ Tplilnk switch ] ->  [RRock]

I'm not a fan of having actual routed traffic in audio vs  using simple MAC address traffic switching... things go bump in the night

with traffic that traverses routers because of Internet demands on the router.

In your shoes I'd swing the NDX2 over onto the same switch the rest of your audio gear is on.

I also don't like UPNP, IME it rounds transients. If the NDX2 supports SMB file access, try that with your NAS.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

38 minutes ago, Downtheline said:

I don't think that is true. 

I think you're right. I misinterpreted something I read. Apologies, perhaps @Superdad would be kind enough to clean up the mess I made.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.