IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

9 minutes ago, Jakenz said:

Intrigued by the shared experiences of several R26 owners who found a really positive improvement with the LB, including one chap who felt it bested his AD Emperor (not sure which exact model) with the R26, I've ordered one to try out. It's not expensive so I figured what the heck. Reading your first-hand impression of its sound with the R26 is reassuring as I appreciate you are very familiar with what a well clocked system sounds like. 

I will compare the LB to my LHY OCK-2 and OCK-1. I upgraded to the OCK-2 earlier this year after having the OCK-1 for six months, which itself brought really nice improvements to the R26, but the upgrade itch got to me. My Focal Sopras' beryllium tweeters were not a super easy listen with either the R26 or the SMSL VMV D2 AK4499 prior to the OCK-1's arrival. Both LHY clocks with the R26 are good enough to respond differences in clock cables used, the best one so far by some margin being the Harmonic Tech Digital Copper III. And yes, I acknowledge the uncertainty as to the actual phase noise of the LHY clocks, given the OCK-1 unit measured by John Swenson had 1hz offset noise around -90db and 10hz offset around -120db IIRC, and LHY/Beatechnick's response of just removing phase noise specs. I don't wish to reopen that can of worms, just to acknowledge it. Even so, that's around 20db better than the LB's specs. One would expect the OCK-2 to measure/perform better than the OCK-1, which certainly seems to be borne out by both my first hand experience and that of folk who got OCK-2 and compared it to their high spec'd reference clocks like the Mutec REF10.

Anyway, given the gulf in phase noise specs, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a little scepticism and trepidation that this will turn out to be an expensive experiment, but I'm keeping an open mind and I'll be interested to hear what I hear with the LB when it arrives. 

I’ll be watching this closely.

Do you still have the Ock-1 around for comparison?

3 minutes ago, Exocer said:

I’ll be watching this closely.

Do you still have the Ock-1 around for comparison?

I do indeed. Haven't listed to it for a while, been meaning to sell it, but somehow I never seem to get around to selling things.  Which is good for comparisons if not so good for my bank balance. Speaking of which I have a similarly parked Gustard U18 DDC I can try the LB with in various combinations including dual-clocking the R26 or the U18 alone, test the special R26 'synergy' postulation...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 12:53 PM, MartinT said:

I can only speak from my own experience. I reclock ethernet with the ER and then reclock the USB from my ultraRendu again with a Mutec MC-3. Both ER and Mutec are fed with 10MHz from my OCXO master clock. Does reclocking twice work? It certainly works for me, giving incredible detail and insight from my LKS DAC and analogue-like soundstage and note decay.

I am reading this thread from the beginning, so I apologize in advance if this is outdated. What is the logic behind reclocking multiple times? If the output is analog-sounding, it is certainly worth it.

I received the BG7TBL today and it is still unused. I connected the Leo Bodnar GPS Reference Clock. The sound is quite amazing. There has to be more to the story than phase noise. How could a noisy TCXO produce something so musical? From the specs it's as noisy as an exploding stick of dynamite. Lol

19 hours ago, ZeusOdin said:

I reclock ethernet with the ER and then reclock the USB from my ultraRendu again with a Mutec MC-3.

19 hours ago, ZeusOdin said:

What is the logic behind reclocking multiple times?

More knowledgeable posters can elaborate but it is my understanding that ethernet clocking and USB clocking are two separate realms. Each has it's own benefit and also some divided opinions (largely against ethernet clocking as it is new territory, but that is not the case on this thread). I personally see both being crucial aspects if they are part of the audio chain. MartinT's post is the kind of future we are headed towards where a single precision clock can guide the entire entertainment chain.

20 hours ago, ZeusOdin said:

I connected the Leo Bodnar GPS Reference Clock. The sound is quite amazing.

This is interesting indeed. Can you elaborate on your connections (cables, power, antenna etc.) Have you listened to any of the oxco's with better specifications, such as an afterdark or the mutec?

On 5/19/2023 at 7:25 AM, James Stephens said:

Well put.

I have a question in to Geistnote to confirm, but I suspect the Apogee Wideeye Clock Cable is composed of dual-shielded coax. I’ll report back.

If anyone has another suggestion for a reasonably flexible sine-wave clock cable, I’m all ears!

Hi James,

Please consider and try out the following Canare clock cable D5.5uhdc 1.0m ones with tested specification per enclosed which are inexpensive and used in discerning pro audio of recording studio:

https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/products/detail/item/239127/

I had tried boutique ones that were not properly shielded that caused dropouts and geistnote apogee wyde eye but none bettered it.

There is also new flexible version that I had not tried if you wish for them as discussed here:

https://www.canare.com/post/newproductannouncementl-5-5cuhws-bcp-d55uhw-cb055w

I am using them in my pretty transparent and natural sounding system per my signature in the following:

- 1x ER with AfterDark Emperor double crown between my oladra upgraded Antipodes cx and ex

- 1x ER from wifi mesh node to Antipode cx

- 2x Denafrips Avatar cdp to Denafrips Terminator Plus DE

- 2x Denafrips Hermes DDC to Denafrips Terminator Plus DE 

Mentioned 2x cdp and DDC to Terminator Plus DE are daisy chained in this more complicated  but absolutely zero issue 🥳

Cheers.

Screenshot_20230611-105849_Chrome.jpg

20230611_105933.jpg

Screenshot_20230611-105747_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230611-104848_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230611-104811_Chrome.jpg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

On 6/11/2023 at 5:57 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi James,

Please consider and try out the following Canare clock cable D5.5uhdc 1.0m ones with tested specification per enclosed which are inexpensive and used in discerning pro audio of recording studio:

https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/products/detail/item/239127/

I had tried boutique ones that were not properly shielded that caused dropouts and geistnote apogee wyde eye but none bettered it.

There is also new flexible version that I had not tried if you wish for them as discussed here:

https://www.canare.com/post/newproductannouncementl-5-5cuhws-bcp-d55uhw-cb055w

I am using them in my pretty transparent and natural sounding system per my signature in the following:

- 1x ER with AfterDark Emperor double crown between my oladra upgraded Antipodes cx and ex

- 1x ER from wifi mesh node to Antipode cx

- 2x Denafrips Avatar cdp to Denafrips Terminator Plus DE

- 2x Denafrips Hermes DDC to Denafrips Terminator Plus DE 

Mentioned 2x cdp and DDC to Terminator Plus DE are daisy chained in this more complicated  but absolutely zero issue 🥳

Cheers.

Screenshot_20230611-105849_Chrome.jpg

20230611_105933.jpg

Screenshot_20230611-105747_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230611-104848_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230611-104811_Chrome.jpg

I recently had assembled for me a metre of LMR-240-Ultraflex.  I really wasn't expecting it to better my existing Oyaide FTVS-510 (Furutech BNC), but thought "what the hell, I can always sell it on".

But, actually the LMR is quite significantly better.  I have a sine AfterDark King.  Better separation of instruments, and, most critically for me, better tonality and therefore more musical.

Based on John Swenson's existing advice, I've also ordered a semi-rigid from Cybershaft - the price is reasonable.  Pasternak, however, to the UK is very expensive.

On 4/30/2021 at 8:34 AM, Clockmeister said:

Excellent you have cleared that up for me LMH, hence the brick wall filter for the sine wave boys!

As I personally do not require an e.Regen not a particular problem I have encountered so thank you for the clarification.

Its is appreciated

Do you disagree with the principles behind the ER or did you implement tech that obviates the ER?

On 4/2/2021 at 6:13 PM, JohnSwenson said:

Now is a good time to write about what I found in the BG7TBL box that Alex sent me.

First off what is inside:

OCXO produces sine wave, this goes into a standard CMOS logic gate, which makes an attempt at converting the sine to square. This signal then feeds three more CMOS gates, one for each output. Outputs with sine have a multi-pole passive filter to get rid of most of the harmonics from the square waves. Square wave outputs just feed the CMOS gate output directly to the BNC jack.

An important thing to note is that standard CMOS outputs (such as these) cannot even come close to supplying enough current to feed a properly terminated  50 or 75 ohm input. The output impedance is also usually in the range of 10 to 20 ohms, which is not going to match anything.

So neither the sine nor square are actually close to outputting what they should, no matter what cable you use. If you get a good looking square wave out of one it is pure luck.

Look at the pictures of the square wave in a previous post, on the falling edge you can actually see a glitch where the falling actually goes back up, then back down. This is caused by an impedance mismatch on the board itself.

The 50 or 75 ohm output don't actually change the impedance coming out of the board, just the connector.

Given all this it is a wonder some people find this to improve things.  Given all the impedance mismatches the length of the cable is going to play an important part with square waves.

Getting a decent sound improvement out of this box is more a matter of luck than technical "goodness"  of any cables or connectors.

John S.

Again, JohnSwenson, thanks for so much of the incredible work that you do!

Has anyone confirmed that there are any *GOOD* 10 MHz clocks on AliExpress that would pass John's basic tests?

1. Decent OCXO chip
  2. Good sine to square converter
  3. Outputs actual 50Ω (or 75Ω) signal
  4. Connector is 50Ω (or 75Ω)

These 4 requirements do not seem to be super expensive, $200 maybe $300 using reclaimed 4G chips. Add to that a LPS and this will be an excellent, cheap clock. I have purchased the Leo Bodnar Precision GPS Reference and the BG7TBL clocks. I have deferred all other purchases until I finish this gargantuan thread. I am 2/3 of the way through.

I take MartinT at his word. He clearly has intellect and an engineering background. If he says he hears a big difference using the BG7TBL clock, I believe him. However, based on John's findings I do believe it's pure luck of the draw with the AliExpress clocks.

17 hours ago, ZeusOdin said:

Again, JohnSwenson, thanks for so much of the incredible work that you do!

Has anyone confirmed that there are any *GOOD* 10 MHz clocks on AliExpress that would pass John's basic tests?

1. Decent OCXO chip
  2. Good sine to square converter
  3. Outputs actual 50Ω (or 75Ω) signal
  4. Connector is 50Ω (or 75Ω)

These 4 requirements do not seem to be super expensive, $200 maybe $300 using reclaimed 4G chips. Add to that a LPS and this will be an excellent, cheap clock. I have purchased the Leo Bodnar Precision GPS Reference and the BG7TBL clocks. I have deferred all other purchases until I finish this gargantuan thread. I am 2/3 of the way through.

I take MartinT at his word. He clearly has intellect and an engineering background. If he says he hears a big difference using the BG7TBL clock, I believe him. However, based on John's findings I do believe it's pure luck of the draw with the AliExpress clocks.

This one, possibly, put into a good enclosure. Mv197 had good figures in the recent comparison:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOVi9yy

Say NO to ROON

7 hours ago, FIndingit said:

This one, possibly, put into a good enclosure. Mv197 had good figures in the recent comparison:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOVi9yy

Why this clock? This clock seems like all the other AE clocks that are just a flip of the coin. That lone review is definitely not positive. Lol. I kinda wanted the "good enclosure" already included. I will look into Dexa Neutron Star Clock or the defunct Pulsar Clock.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Sorry, but baseline performance of a CTS 1250019 is pretty sad. A 10MHz clock with -120dBc/Hz at 10Hz offset will not outperform the internal clock of the EtherREGEN.

Totally agree. But this is what you get from AD. But with the (better) phase noise measurement.

On 2/25/2023 at 2:05 PM, bodiebill said:

1 Gustard A26 DAC

2 Audio-GD R8HE Mk2 DAC

3 ER

4 Audio-GD Di20HE DDC

5 Afterdark Rosanna streamer

BodieBill,

Have you had a chance to compare the Rosanna with the SMS-200 Ultra Neo (my current streamer)? Was looking for a streamer-only solution without a DAC or other ancillary equipment. Any other high end suggestions?

DI20HE vs Mutec MC3+? I am trying to decide between the two. Leaning heavily toward the hefty DI20HE.

Amazing gear! Thanks.