IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

On 6/16/2021 at 11:03 PM, TheAttorney said:

I took my DAVE and HEKse's to the dealer last Saturday. To get a reference point, we first attached DAVE to Innuos Statement (via USB and running latest 2.0 o/s and latest 795 Roon).

Would have been interesting if you had tested the Statement playing without Roon

A quote from one of the responses in the Innuos 2.0 thread "No afraid I never tested Roon + Squeezelite on InnuOS 1.x. My system was delivered by the dealer with Roon active, but after I tried and compared it to InnuOS I switched off Roon and haven’t been back, given that I’ve read nothing on the internet to encourage me."

On 6/16/2021 at 11:03 PM, TheAttorney said:

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

I've had the MU1 at home for over a week now and have come to a firm conclusion, but I'm on the road for a while, so won't be publishing Round 2 for a couple of days.

Good to hear, hope you like it and your search is over

Congrats with your decision!

After your search, great to see it ticked the boxes! Happy listening 👍, I’m looking forward reading about your hands on experience in round 3.

Regarding the AES cable, earlier in the topic some AES cables are mentioned, perhaps this is helpful. As an alternative you could have a look at the Grimm SQM, which is introduced at about the same time as the MU1.

Link to Grimm SQM 

• 2 weeks later...

My MU1 impressions - Round 3. Look&feel and practicalities.

The MU1 in real life looks just like I expected from the photos.

It doesn't scream heavy weight "high end" extravagance. It's more about simple, restrained elegance.

Grimm wisely chose well to give the gold disc a very matt finish so it doesn't look too blingey against the matt black enclosure.

That restrained gold disc helps give a Japanese Zen-like vibe to the minimalist enclosure. With the display switched off in standby mode and cables hidden round the back, the MU1 doesn't even look much like a hifi component - which resulted in an unexpectedly high WAF rating from my wife.

The display is clear and unexpectedly useful. It's great to use Roon's "music magazine" UI for discovery etc, but sometimes I want to just listen to music, and for those times I queue up a couple of albums, enable roon-radio, and then close my control laptop. The MU1 display shows, amongst other things, the artist/album/track/progress and one can pause/restart by pressing the gold disc. Even better would be if one could skip track forward and back - I understand this feature will come with the IR Remote Control functionality due in the next firmware release (due around August).

My downsizing objective insists that networking is via WiFi (direct to my broadband router in another room), so I don't have to bother with long ethernet cables, super switches, super clocks, super power supplies etc etc. The tiny Wifi dongle recommended by Grimm (TP-link WR802N) is matcbbox sized and works better than I could have hoped for: it's powered by one of MU1's USB ports, with the supplied ethernet cable plugged into the ethernet socket. It consumes less than 0.5W power and automatically comes off and on when MU1 is put in/out of standby. But best of all, I can barely tell the difference in SQ (when playng local music files) whether or not this dongle is active - not bad for £26 including the skinny USB and ethernet cables. There could be some wishful thinking clouding my judgement here. In a future firmware release (after remote control), Grimm are aiming to provide USB-only WiFi support, at which point I will be able to try an even simpler WiFi solution.

The MU1 consumes about 17W AC power when playing music (no DSP), which drops slightly to 16W when music stops.

And drops to just under 5W in standby mode. Before removing the power cord, the instructions are to press a tiny button round the back. This definitely does something because the LED light goes out, but interestingly the power consumption stays at 5W, so I'm guessing that this micro switch isolates a particularly sensitive bit of circuitry, without fully switching off the whole unit, which leads me onto the fuse....

The back fuse drawer contains 2 fuses (630mA and, unusually for AC, rated as FAST BLOW). The first one you come to is a spare. All this is important because I've confirmed to myself that the fuse does impact SQ (I'm a committed fuse-o-phile, so this should be no surprise). More about that on my 4th and final round about cables and tweaking.

Any downsides?

Not much. I find the LED light, even at its lowest setting, too bright for night-time listening. Grimm told me it can't be set any lower with current hardware, so this won't  be changed any time soon. I've carefully dabbed the tip of the LED with a black marker pen and this helps tone down the brightness.

The main display is also too bright for my liking (to be fair, most manufacturers' LED/displays are too bright for me). Grimm are aiming to add some adjustment for this at a future firmware release (after the remote control one).

In short, I'm very happy with my MU1 🙂.

@mrkoven
I don’t own Antipodes nor Grimm but:

• you are comparing a 15k$ server (Antipodes K50) with a 10k$ server (Grimm MU1) … not so … fair
  • Antipodes K50 is the top of the line and uses an internal LPS, that’s why you see transformers
  • Grimm MU1 uses custom internal SMPS 
  • Grimm MU1 is based on Intel Nuc (as can be easily seen in the picture you attached) not passively cooled
  • Antipodes K50 is passively cooled thanks to a custom chassis

… very different beasts …

the opposite result can be observed if you compare the Grimm MU1 to the Antipodes S30 … 

Stefano

My audio system

5 hours ago, mrkoven said:

Is it just me or is the internal shot of MU1 kind of uninspiring for $10K? It's half empty, no transformers onboard either?

Hmm, it's your choice if you want to judge a product based on the components used.. When you go back a few pages in this topic you'll find some insights/video's how Grimm products are designed. But you're lucky, in this MU1 review some comparisons with the K50 are made: Grimm MU1 | HFA - The Independent Source for Audio Equipment Reviews (hifi-advice.com)

So far, I've gather from some of the helpful feedback in this forum that synergies can be gotten to ekk out "something" extra by using the PhoenixNet and Sablon AES. Really intrigues me... 

May I know what DACs do you folks use with MU1? 

Gigawatt PF2 >> Paul Pang Quad >> Allo DigiOne Signature (w Shanti power supply) >> Grimm Audio MU1 >> Holo Audio Spring Wild Edition >> Leben CS600 >> Harbeth SHL5+ 40th Anniversary

All Audiolund cables (Extreme + Silver) 

4 hours ago, Kenkuan said:

So far, I've gather from some of the helpful feedback in this forum that synergies can be gotten to ekk out "something" extra by using the PhoenixNet and Sablon AES. Really intrigues me... 

May I know what DACs do you folks use with MU1? 

My MU1 goes AES direct to a DAVE DAC/headphone amp.

But I think it's an oversimplification to imply that PhoenixNet or Sablon are the only things that have great synergy with the MU1.

For example, a while back someone raved over the Shunyata Omega AES cable. I would have liked to try that one, but its price was way more than I'm prepared to pay for a single cable.

From what I've learned so far, the MU1 is affected by much the same surrounding components as any another digital device I've come across. I had wished it wasn't so. Because the MU1 had successfully isolated the noise created by Roon, I did wonder whether it could also isolate the noise from the mains supply etc. It would have saved me much money if I could have connected stock everything to the MU1.

But I'm not complaining - making Roon sound so good is a big step further than just about any other manufacturer has managed to achieve (I don't think the $25k Extreme would be a fair comparison here).

Yes, you are right, many more tweaks can be explored. It's just that whenever I read experiences that something supposedly non-trivial or magical comes along, I have to imagine how it improves the quality I'm already getting, so just intrigued until I take the next step... which led to the acquisition of the MU1. 😅 

BTW, I'm still on stock power, generic Lan and TPR AES cables. 

Gigawatt PF2 >> Paul Pang Quad >> Allo DigiOne Signature (w Shanti power supply) >> Grimm Audio MU1 >> Holo Audio Spring Wild Edition >> Leben CS600 >> Harbeth SHL5+ 40th Anniversary

All Audiolund cables (Extreme + Silver) 

I should mention both the MU1 and PhoenixNET are powered by Shunyata V14 Digital power cables.  The modem and router are powered by an HDPlex 300W LPS that is itself powered by a Shunyata Delta V2 NR and everything AC is connected to a Shunyata Everest power distributor. 

7 hours ago, SackATK said:

For your next tweak, I would highly recommend a very good network switch designed for audio. 

From many posts here at AS, I have no doubt than super switches and super ethernet cables can make a big difference to networked hifi. And several people have raved over the PhoenixNet, so I'm sure it's one of the best. But some still say that disconnecting the network entirely from the server (after buffering the music file) sounds best of all. So even the best switch/cable is still not perfect.

But as I stated in earlier posts, I've bypassed all that cable spaghetti by using a WiFi dongle that connects by WiFi to the broadband router in another room. This dongle's impact on SQ is insignificant compared to say, upgrading the fuse - and I've proven this to myself by unplugging the dongle whilst listening to a local music file - I can't reliably tell the difference. TBH, I do hear differences, but I can't reliably say which one I prefer. For just £26 that must be the bargain of the century.

It is possible that once I restart streaming services like Qobuz, I might then notice more clearly what impact this WiFi dongle is having, but in the meantime I really don't care and just enjoy what's in front of me 🙂.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All;

I am looking for the simplest way to get good sound out of the Roon interface. I will be auditioning the Grimm. Out of curiousity, anyone here consider the Aqua Linq with HPQ/NAA module? It seems like another plug and play (and expensive) way to get the best sound while using Roon as an interface.

Thanks

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 7:03 PM, haltermr said:

I will be auditioning the Grimm. Out of curiousity, anyone here consider the Aqua Linq with HPQ/NAA module?

Hi Rick, 

It seems not that many Grimm MU1 users have considered the Aqua Linq as an alternative. I’m afraid that I also can’t help you. I hope you’ve found answers elsewhere.

Have a nice day, Fred

On 7/21/2021 at 1:04 PM, TheAttorney said:

From many posts here at AS, I have no doubt than super switches and super ethernet cables can make a big difference to networked hifi. And several people have raved over the PhoenixNet, so I'm sure it's one of the best. But some still say that disconnecting the network entirely from the server (after buffering the music file) sounds best of all. So even the best switch/cable is still not perfect.

But as I stated in earlier posts, I've bypassed all that cable spaghetti by using a WiFi dongle that connects by WiFi to the broadband router in another room. This dongle's impact on SQ is insignificant compared to say, upgrading the fuse - and I've proven this to myself by unplugging the dongle whilst listening to a local music file - I can't reliably tell the difference. TBH, I do hear differences, but I can't reliably say which one I prefer. For just £26 that must be the bargain of the century.

It is possible that once I restart streaming services like Qobuz, I might then notice more clearly what impact this WiFi dongle is having, but in the meantime I really don't care and just enjoy what's in front of me 🙂.

Hi TheAttorney,

Any updates of your experience of MU1? I enjoy reading all yours very much.

I have a MU1 too, waiting for the firmware update to enable SPDIF, to connect directly to Dynaudio XD60 active speakers. (Currently using an $10 AES > RCA adapter).

I also am using an AES cable with a surprise to see direct 4FS (192k) support by Chord Dave.

Thank you. :)

2 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Anyway, on that WBF thread @kennyb123 (a K30 owner I think) gave a list of reasons why MU1 didn't even get to his shortlist: low powered CPU, Roon-only, SMPS, etc. The thing is, I looked at this from a completely different angle by using much the same criteria to give the MU1 a try because I was so intrigued that such seemingly mundane components could add up to a giant-killing performance. Which is only valid if the performance is indeed great, so what did the reviewer say?....

Yeah I did say that.  I had laid out MY selection critical for buying a server.  I wrote the following.

1. Sever should be capable of dynamics and transient speed - music must come to life. Low power CPUs are not good at this.
  2. Two-tier architecture seems like a great way to keep noise further away from the DAC - but it must not sacrifice the ability for music to come to life.
  3. Upgrades should offered to help keep a server investment reasonably up to date. The upgrades should be transparently communicated.
  4. Numerous software options should be offered. HQPlayer should be one of them (for me).
  5. Great pre- and post-sales support. Mark Cole offers a level of service I've not had with other providers.
  6. There should be a community forum with employees actually participating. I purchased my K30 knowing that Antipodes was going to be launching their own forum. Taiko really sets a very high standard in this with their participation in their thread here on WBF. 
  7. Company should be more well-established. I think both Auralic and Innuos were still too early in their growth when I owned their products. Nuno the Innuos CEO was actually doing support calls himself. It seemed he was stretching himself too thin by not growing his staff (I think that changed sometime last year). 
  8. The server should allow me to install my own drives. I shouldn't be locked into the drive that was installed when I purchased the server.
  9. The company should't push me towards getting support from their dealers. I wanted to be able to interact directly with folks like Mark. 

And then I said this about the Grimm:

“Interesting box but it wouldn’t have made my short list. I base that mostly on the software selection as my brief skimming of the review and software manual lead me to believe that Roon is the only choice. Also I’m not a fan of it having a SMPS or of running server apps on a low power CPU (core i3) or of it having only a single SSD that has to be selected when purchased. But other than all that I’m sure it’s a really good sounding server - just not for me.”

My criteria was about things other than sound quality as sound quality is often a moving target.  Roon has generally been getting worse while other options are generally getting better.  Also with servers advancing so quickly it’s not just about the box I buy today.

Grimm being Roon-only was an absolute deal-breaker for me.  I didn’t find Roon/RAAT listenable/enjoyable on my previous Innuos Zenith Mk3 and my current K30.

The video does an okay job of comparing the servers, but it wasn’t apples to apples as he used the AES output on the Grimm.  This does 4FS upsampling so he was feeding the DAC a signal that wasn’t bit perfect.  He should have tried to match that using HQPlayer on the K50.  

I upscale all my music to 16FS so this would be another reason I’d have to eliminate the Grimm from my shortlist.

I think he’s right though that the Grimm might be the better choice for some people.  Like if they have an older DAC that accepts only as high as 4S on AES, then this could be a great match.  USB is where all the action is happening though on newer DACs (for the most part).  I think a server with more options will be more future proof.

Thanks for tagging me @TheAttorney

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

3 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I upscale all my music to 16FS so this would be another reason I’d have to eliminate the Grimm from my shortlist.

I think he’s right though that the Grimm might be the better choice for some people.  Like if they have an older DAC that accepts only as high as 4S on AES, then this could be a great match.  USB is where all the action is happening though on newer DACs (for the most part).  I think a server with more options will be more future proof.

Being a HMS/DAVE owner, I was also concerned that MU1's 4FS would be at a disadvantage against my existing 16FS. 

But as described in earlier posts, my concerns were unfounded - 4FS out of MU1 easily beat 16FS out of the HMS. This I think is more to do with the inherent goodness of the MU1 server vs my previous NUC than it has to do with any failure of HMS' up-scaling.

The K50 is definitely more flexible, so more future-proof in some ways. However, for my downsizing objective to reduce box count, the built-in DAC option (MU2) coming up next year for MU1 owners will eliminate the digital interface entirely. So it won't matter what FS is used, as I'm sure the designers will choose the best FS for their built-in DAC, without cable limitations.

I'm not trying to change your mind or objectives because they all make sense, just again reminding that relying on past experience is fine to a point, but it's also good to be open-minded when coming across a company that doesn't necessarily follow current trends and dares to do things differently.

2 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Being a HMS/DAVE owner, I was also concerned that MU1's 4FS would be at a disadvantage against my existing 16FS. 

But as described in earlier posts, my concerns were unfounded - 4FS out of MU1 easily beat 16FS out of the HMS. This I think is more to do with the inherent goodness of the MU1 server vs my previous NUC than it has to do with any failure of HMS' up-scaling.

The K50 is definitely more flexible, so more future-proof in some ways. However, for my downsizing objective to reduce box count, the built-in DAC option (MU2) coming up next year for MU1 owners will eliminate the digital interface entirely. So it won't matter what FS is used, as I'm sure the designers will choose the best FS for their built-in DAC, without cable limitations.

I'm not trying to change your mind or objectives because they all make sense, just again reminding that relying on past experience is fine to a point, but it's also good to be open-minded when coming across a company that doesn't necessarily follow current trends and dares to do things differently.

Excellent reply!  I was careful above to say that it was MY criteria.  Portions of that came from hoping to not repeat some prior mistakes.  I can easily see someone having a different list.  I am actually delighted to hear that you are delighted with the Grim.  It’s wonderful that there are a number of great options.

In my case K30 alone was better than Zenith Mk3 plus HMS.  I sold the HMS to help pay for the K30. But PGGB factored heavily into that - as did reducing the box count. K30 playing PGGB’d tracks is really something special.

Interesting about the upcoming MU2.  I’ll keep an eye out for the reports here.  Yes it's also ‘good to be open-minded when coming across a company that doesn't necessarily follow current trends and dares to do things differently’.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256