IGNORED

When do measurements correlate with subjective impressions

4est

On 2/19/2020 at 11:38 AM, Miska said:

With TIM, the problem was that the measurements being used were operating on static sine waveforms like in THD and IMD. While problem was with transient signals. Thus TIM is measured with mixture of square and sine waves (15 kHz sine + 3.18 kHz square wave at 4 : 1 level ratio, -3 dB at 100 kHz).

In these cases it was due to the amplifier going to internal saturation, due to internal bandwidth issues, during transients only.

And this happened already with vinyl and open reel tape recordings, for example in crescendos. Problem was found because some engineers believed their ears.

Very interesting - and I'm all for using our ears, so long as some effort is made to close the loop and actually look into new measurements that might explain what we're hearing.

That is quite different, though, from an argument which posits "as yet unknown measurements" simply as a way to indefinitely forestall the application of measurements to a discussion of sound quality. (To be clear, I'm not saying you are putting forth such an argument.)

2 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Very interesting - and I'm all for using our ears, so long as some effort is made to close the loop and actually look into new measurements that might explain what we're hearing.

That is quite different, though, from an argument which posits "as yet unknown measurements" simply as a way to indefinitely forestall the application of measurements to a discussion of sound quality. (To be clear, I'm not saying you are putting forth such an argument.)

What really, really upsets some people is that I keep going on about how poorly executed design underlies a lot of the audible problems - "How dare he imply that my very expensive gear is not good enough!!" ... well, if you want the Truth ...

One can even see using simulation software, Spice, how many of the circuits used are faulty in their ability to be accurate, when the "going gets tough!" ... virtual measurements are enough to show the weaknesses in the designs - so what hope have real world examples?

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

What really, really upsets some people is that I keep going on about how poorly executed design underlies a lot of the audible problems - "How dare he imply that my very expensive gear is not good enough!!" ... well, if you want the Truth ...

I disagree. That isn't why folks find your posts annoying.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

It is your style of communication.

Specifically:

1. Spamming almost every thread on this site with repetitive posts that are only marginally related to the topic under discussion.

Every thread? I tend to keep to General Audio, and when I look at recent activity, over 24 hours, there may be one thread that looks interesting, elsewhere.

Marginally related? ... A good recent example?

2. An underlying tone of superiority. "You lot have your heads up your ass and you're never going to get good sound unless you do things my way."

It's you who see a "tone of superiority" ... I think, "It's so frustrating seeing people spend so much time and energy focusing on aspects that will only have a marginal impact on them achieving what they're after - how can I suggest an alternative approach, which worked for me, which doesn't offend?"

3. A complete unwillingness to listen to the options of others.

I've been reading about the options others use for 35 years - and I know they won't do a thing for me, because they don't address underlying problems. And when I listen to systems constructed using this type of thinking, there are so many boxes that can't be ticked. Which means that I don't see the point of spending time considering methods that don't do the job, efficiently

4. Your belief that every person on this site is only interested in expensive equipment and quick fixes.

Well, it is a hobbyist arena ... 😁. The scorn people pile on with when I mention low priced gear is guaranteed to make me react - and the demand that I must have "special knowledge", that I just dump in full force, does irritate ...

People like to ignore that I've known for 35 years what's possible ... which is not the same thing as having known for 35 years exactly how to always get such, at a push of a button. ... The latter will likely never happen, but people express their annoyance at me saying that .

1 hour ago, Racerxnet said:

Because your polished turd is still a turd at the end of the day.

Which is a good opportunity to use a visual analogy ... 😉.

Someone buys a very expensive television set, huge size - and sets it up with the bare minimum of adjusting of all its operating parameters; he wants it to look spectacular!!, and by golly, it does that in spades ... the colour bowls you over, almost stains your clothes, it's so intense. IOW, subjectively, it's a turd ,,,

I recently got a decent sized TV at the other end of the cost spectrum, and have spent weeks very finely adjusting all the settings that make sense, step by step, 😉 - trying to optimise every area where the set isn't quite perfect in the way it presents. So, it's going through a process of "polishing".

What does that do for me? Well, it allows me to "see through" the picture - the colours always make sense, it never disturbs me, whether it's a dark period piece, a hyped up quiz show, an ad, or a news report. If the program is an intense colour kaleidoscope, that's what the set delivers - it 'pops' beautifully. The TV is a chameleon, it takes on the persona of what happens to be showing.

And that's what I want an audio system to do ... turns out that the polishing gets a cheap rig to do what the fiddling with the visual settings of a visual playback device does - stops it being an obvious, ummm, turd.

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Which is a good opportunity to use a visual analogy ... 😉.

Someone buys a very expensive television set, huge size - and sets it up with the bare minimum of adjusting of all its operating parameters; he wants it to look spectacular!!, and by golly, it does that in spades ... the colour bowls you over, almost stains your clothes, it's so intense. IOW, subjectively, it's a turd ,,,

I recently got a decent sized TV at the other end of the cost spectrum, and have spent weeks very finely adjusting all the settings that make sense, step by step, 😉 - trying to optimise every area where the set isn't quite perfect in the way it presents. So, it's going through a process of "polishing".

What does that do for me? Well, it allows me to "see through" the picture - the colours always make sense, it never disturbs me, whether it's a dark period piece, a hyped up quiz show, an ad, or a news report. If the programs is an intense colour kaleidoscope, that's what the set delivers - it 'pops' beautifully. The TV is a chameleon, it takes on the persona of what happens to be showing.

And that's what I want an audio system to do ... turns out that the polishing gets a cheap rig to do what the fiddling with the visual settings of a visual playback device does - stops it being an obvious, ummm, turd.

Your analogy doesn't work because there's nothing wrong with the signal being broadcast.

There's where we will have to agree to disagree.

Fair enough ... but remember I've refined my "polishing" technique enough to get past the normal 'roughening' that audio reproduction adds - big surprises are in store if this is done properly, 😉.

I don't believe this to be possible. The best any audio equipment can do is accurately reproduce what's on the recording. If a recording is shite, it will always be shite.

But the elephant in the room is, how do you know your equipment is accurate enough?

No need to tell me that all the components have fabulous specifications, and that someone, perhaps Amir, has measured, conventionally, that all looks good, 😝.

11 minutes ago, fas42 said:

But the elephant in the room is, how do you know your equipment is accurate enough?

No need to tell me that all the components have fabulous specifications, and that someone, perhaps Amir, has measured, conventionally, that all looks good, 😝.

Who's Amir?

5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Someone you mentioned in a post a couple of days ago ...

No good can come from picking at those scabs.

In answer to your previous question about elephants, I've got a collection of favorite recordings that I know well and have heard on multiple systems. If they sound "right", the system is good enough for me.

26 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

In answer to your previous question about elephants, I've got a collection of favorite recordings that I know well and have heard on multiple systems. If they sound "right", the system is good enough for me.

Care to name some of them, so I could possibly align to what you're looking out for?

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

Care to name some of them, so I could possibly align to what you're looking out for?

A few that come to mind:

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto - Midnight Sugar & Misty

Ray Brown Trio - Live At The Loa

Gene Harris Trio with Scott Hamilton - At Last

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Indeed it does ... every time I get a post rabbiting on about how important the room acoustics are, the eye glazing meter rockets up, 😉.

I don’t think there are all that many posts about room acoustics and acoustic treatment on this site. I enjoyed Chris’s recent article about the acoustic treatment and DSP correction he used in his room, and I personally would enjoy more articles and discussions in the same vein.

The is a good correlation between the measurements you get out of software like REW, and what a system in the room sounds like subjectively, certainly at the bass end.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot