IGNORED

When do measurements correlate with subjective impressions

4est

13 hours ago, Confused said:

My girlfriend sounds different in different rooms, depending on the room acoustics.  Does that mean that she is not properly sorted?

Well, if the acoustics get so bad that she sounds like an old flame, and you blurt out that name - then your girlfriend may decide to sort you out ... 😉.

Edit: Hadn't come across kumakuma's reply yet, when I posted this.

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Well, if the acoustics get so bad that she sounds like an old flame, and you blurt out that name - then your girlfriend may decide to sort you out ... 😉.

I shall rebuff all these humorous responses with a Pulp song......

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

7 hours ago, jabbr said:

I’d like to see if @pkane2001’s distort software can simulate this. I would want to first upsample to 24/384, then apply a phase noise plot, then send to a low jitter DAC. That’s how I would do it on my system. 

My experience with the Distort software, via Archimago's THD test, is that it does things that mimic the type of problems I hear in systems, that remind me of issues that require "sorting out" - the sense of unease when listening is certainly made worse by the deliberately introduced artifacts.

To repeat what I have said many times - I have never directly modded or tweaked something with the intention of "reducing jitter" - if the numbers changed by what I did, then it was a side effect, and wasn't what I was aiming to do. Whether the measured jitter being reduced, say, was indeed what caused the SQ to improve I can't say - all that mattered was that the robustness of the system had been improved, with commensurate improvement in what I was hearing.

next answer to the question of the thread:

When the component is the Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC.  See measurements here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/mola-mola-tambaqui-dac-and-streamer-review.10770/

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 hours ago, barrows said:

next answer to the question of the thread:

When the component is the Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC.  See measurements here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/mola-mola-tambaqui-dac-and-streamer-review.10770/

That -110dBFS peak at 50kHz needs to be worked on! I'm not going to pay that much money and still have distortion at that level! ;)

Well, I probably wouldn't pay that much money for a DAC, period, but that really is one well-measuring DAC.

6 hours ago, jabbr said:

I got that far, then tried to load a music file.

I can load and process a file (click Save...) I can't play a file yet, because the audio library I'm using requires .NET 4.0, which isn't part of Wine 5 install. What happens when you try to generate a file? Just pick a WAV file you want to process, then pick the desired distortion, then click Save... button to generate the distorted file. I used Audacity to play it on Ubuntu.

I'll see if I can change the target .NET framework for the library, or install .NET 4.0 on Wine -- using it for the first time, so not remotely an expert 😄

48 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

That -110dBFS peak at 50kHz needs to be worked on! I'm not going to pay that much money and still have distortion at that level! ;)

Well, I probably wouldn't pay that much money for a DAC, period, but that really is one well-measuring DAC.

Come on man, you are smarter than that right?  That peak is due to the slightly relaxed roll off of the digital filter, and would not ever be present with a music signal. But if you are still concerned you could always over sample to a 2x rate in software with steep filter to eliminate it.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

That was a joke, sorry. I thought the smirking smiley face would give it away, but apparently I need to find better emojis.

Sorry, my bad!  Reacted to quick...

SONORE computer audio

29 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

There has been some talk of degrees of various distortion measurements, jitter, which may be perceptible and at different sensitivity levels for different people and different levels of training etc. Again, are there predictive values that reproducibly hold true for most people about what the subjective correlate sounds like? Is it just that it somehow  makes things sound irritating in ways that are hard to define? Somehow a little less natural, organic or less "real".

It may not be "jitter" per se, but my modus operandi for decades has been to just listen to a rig, and wait for "things (that) sound irritating in ways that are hard to define", which immediately translates to the SQ being "less natural, organic or less "real"".

My point would be, which is a better use of my time? To go to great effort to extract some number, by some means, which is an exact correlate of what I'm registering - or, merely correct the causal factor ... so far, the latter has won out ...

4 minutes ago, barrows said:

With digital playback, while the artifacts are usually very low in level, they (artifacts) are often non harmonically related to the music, and it seems to me that these types of non-harmonic (or is the proper word enharmonic?) artifacts are much more disturbing to the ear/brain perceptual system, perhaps because these types of artifacts do not generally exist in nature.  This is purely speculative on my part though, but if accurate it would seem to explain why analog playback often sounds more "natural" than digital playback, even though we know scientifically, that digital playback has far less distortions/noise than analog.

Furthermore, I think some of the best digital designers are aware of what, at least some of, these artifacts are, and I think these designers work to eliminate these non-harmonic artifacts.

Some digital products, which measure poorly on standard measurements, but audiophiles seem to like how they sound, may be "sounding good" by doing either: masking the artifacts via the allowance of "pleasant" distortions, such as 2nd harmonic as one might get with a tube based output stage, or perhaps they are actually reducing the artifacts, and in the process of doing so, increasing other types of distortions/noise, but because the really annoying artifacts are gone, the sound is still pleasing.

I suspect until designers and those who study psychoacoustics really get together and work on this (perhaps using brain imaging techniques) it is often just going to be speculative as to what artifacts are problematic, and what distortions are acceptable.  And then engineers have to figure out how to measure them.

+100 ... !!

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

It may not be "jitter" per se, but my modus operandi for decades has been to just listen to a rig, and wait for "things (that) sound irritating in ways that are hard to define", which immediately translates to the SQ being "less natural, organic or less "real"".

My point would be, which is a better use of my time? To go to great effort to extract some number, by some means, which is an exact correlate of what I'm registering - or, merely correct the causal factor ... so far, the latter has won out ...

Hi Frank,

your "MO" is well known and i dare say not dissimilar to what most other audiophiles do.

I agree that if you can fix the cause of the problem then probably no need to measure it. I already do this by placing for example tube traps in corners of the room. I could measure the resonances but I already have a fair idea of what they will be and where they will be and a number will not likely change where I locate a tube trap.

None of this however  addresses the OP question.When (and what) measurements correlate with subjective listening impression? I would love to know the answer.

My crude impression is that measurements tell us that the item is operating to spec, whatever those parameters are.They tell us how they will interact and may be suitable to perform with other devices, like is there enough current to drive difficult speakers or will there be impedance mismatching etc etc. No doubt these things have impact on SQ. But still, what are the measurements that correlate with perceived sound characteristics?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

43 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hi Frank,

your "MO" is well known and i dare say not dissimilar to what most other audiophiles do.

Cheers, welcome back!

Indeed I do no more than what others do - the difference is what that I have a very specific agenda when doing such; because I know from repeated successes what occurs when enough is done, 😉.

43 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

My crude impression is that measurements tell us that the item is operating to spec, whatever those parameters are.They tell us how they will interact and may be suitable to perform with other devices, like is there enough current to drive difficult speakers or will there be impedance mismatching etc etc. No doubt these things have impact on SQ. But still, what are the measurements that correlate with perceived sound characteristics?

I have no doubt it's the presence or absence of certain types of distortion - but they are of a style where it's hard "to pin the tail on the donkey". Not purely random noise, nor simple THD, IMD, etc - they correlate to some degree with the input signal, but are random enough in nature to make it hard to point to a picture on a screen, and utter, "There's the culprit!"

Unfortunately, the particularly nasty varmits are those which embed that distinctively grey, flat quality in replay from digital source - I don't know anyone who can point with conviction at numbers specifying this.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:12 PM, pkane2001 said:

Yeah, for that price, I hope there's a way to play with the filter settings a little!

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

21 minutes ago, Iving said:

imho the last 2 posts in this thread are in a different league compared with everything we have seen here lately in the subj. obj. debacle. Way, way ahead of all the trolling nonsense.

Iving

This is what happens when a well respected member decides to resume posting again when the reasons for him ceasing posting here are removed. He simply found the atmosphere here had become on the toxic side, and no longer wished to participate here.

If he had been able to at the time, David would have cancelled his membership.

Yes, I do know David personally , and it was through this forum and our common interest in high quality audio that we met originally.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

54 minutes ago, Iving said:

I think the point about the academic space is uncomfortably true for this forum

caveat: in "this forum" I allude to what I seen of late here. If I were speaking comparatively I would rank AS #1 for potential and ASR lowest. But I am no Forum whore/butterfly and say this from limited experience of other places.