IGNORED

Cleaning Records - what worked (well)

Not willing just yet to buy a really expensive record cleaning machine, the web is full of ideas for cleaning records, from applying PVA wood glue, pressure washing, WD-40 and various other techniques. The recipe for the cleaning solution seems to be consistent across the web which is encouraging. I did try a few drops of dishwashing liquid in the solution, but found it didn't create enough suds to lift the dirt out and even repeating the process, so tried something different and this worked really well.

Equipment:

Shur-Line Paint Edger

(Be sure to condition the edger by spraying the solution on the pad, scrub vigorously to remove any loose fibres, then rinsing with water)

2 x Plastic refillable spray bottles, one for demin water, the other for the solution

Solution

Microfibre cloths (at least 4) two should be the larger foot square type - Remove the dicky label to avoid scratching the record surface

plain cotton bath size towel

Label saver/protector

Solution

1 part 99% ISOPropyl alcohol

6 parts distilled or demin water

10 drops or a foot long x  2mm wide steam of Meguiars Gold class Car wash

Method

Lay a cotton towel flat on a bench close to the kitchen sink

Place a microfibre towel on top of the cotton towel

Fit the label protector on the record, both sides

Spray the solution over both sides of the record, this gets messy, so hold the record over the sink with the label saver

Use the paint edger on the record and follow the groove, add a little pressure, wipe back and forth and on the edges.

Flip over the record to repeat, spray solution on the paint edger again.

Rinse the soap and scum off the record with tap water. If there is hard water about, spray the demin water to rinse.

The record should now bead water drops. Shake off excess water

Remove the label saver and place the record on the microfibre towel

Place another microfibre towel on top of the record and pat the towel onto the record. This will displace the water from the record into the towel. I use this technique for drying car paint after a wash, there's no effort and the paint is dry.

Remove the top towel and with another microfibre cloth to wipe the excess water off. Hold the record to the light to see if any blemishes are about.

Sometimes the plastic sleeves leave a residue on the surface, use the isopropyl directly to remove.

The record is good to play, and remove those paper and hard plastic sleeves and replace with the MOFI record sleeve protectors, they are great and cheap.

The above works for about 6 LP records, then change out the microfibre towels as they get wet and aren't effective in retaining water.

The records stay clean for quite a number of plays, and the dust doesn't settle as quickly. For records I bought from 1972, and all those years of dust and grime lift right out, and there are no pops or crackles, dead silent, except of course for those dunderheads that added scratches, and the vendor didn't mention them.......

If you have other chemicals or methods that worked, by all means share the info.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

7 hours ago, One and a half said:

Not willing just yet to buy a really expensive record cleaning machine, the web is full of ideas for cleaning records, from applying PVA wood glue, pressure washing, WD-40 and various other techniques. The recipe for the cleaning solution seems to be consistent across the web which is encouraging. I did try a few drops of dishwashing liquid in the solution, but found it didn't create enough suds to lift the dirt out and even repeating the process, so tried something different and this worked really well.

Equipment:

Shur-Line Paint Edger

(Be sure to condition the edger by spraying the solution on the pad, scrub vigorously to remove any loose fibres, then rinsing with water)

2 x Plastic refillable spray bottles, one for demin water, the other for the solution

Solution

Microfibre cloths (at least 4) two should be the larger foot square type - Remove the dicky label to avoid scratching the record surface

plain cotton bath size towel

Label saver/protector

Solution

1 part 99% ISOPropyl alcohol

6 parts distilled or demin water

10 drops or a foot long x  2mm wide steam of Meguiars Gold class Car wash

Method

Lay a cotton towel flat on a bench close to the kitchen sink

Place a microfibre towel on top of the cotton towel

Fit the label protector on the record, both sides

Spray the solution over both sides of the record, this gets messy, so hold the record over the sink with the label saver

Use the paint edger on the record and follow the groove, add a little pressure, wipe back and forth and on the edges.

Flip over the record to repeat, spray solution on the paint edger again.

Rinse the soap and scum off the record with tap water. If there is hard water about, spray the demin water to rinse.

The record should now bead water drops. Shake off excess water

Remove the label saver and place the record on the microfibre towel

Place another microfibre towel on top of the record and pat the towel onto the record. This will displace the water from the record into the towel. I use this technique for drying car paint after a wash, there's no effort and the paint is dry.

Remove the top towel and with another microfibre cloth to wipe the excess water off. Hold the record to the light to see if any blemishes are about.

Sometimes the plastic sleeves leave a residue on the surface, use the isopropyl directly to remove.

The record is good to play, and remove those paper and hard plastic sleeves and replace with the MOFI record sleeve protectors, they are great and cheap.

The above works for about 6 LP records, then change out the microfibre towels as they get wet and aren't effective in retaining water.

The records stay clean for quite a number of plays, and the dust doesn't settle as quickly. For records I bought from 1972, and all those years of dust and grime lift right out, and there are no pops or crackles, dead silent, except of course for those dunderheads that added scratches, and the vendor didn't mention them.......

If you have other chemicals or methods that worked, by all means share the info.

I use L'Art du Son record cleaning fluid with distilled water in a Pro-ject record cleaning machine. You say record cleaning machines are expensive, but the Pro-Ject range start at 300 UK pounds which doesn't seem a lot to me relative to how much a decent record playing system costs.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

I use a Record Doctor and Audio Intelligent #6 fluid.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

I'm a lifelong record collector and have been an online dealer for over a decade having earned a great reputation. All vintage vinyl records - even babied ones - benefit from cleaning. Dampen a microfibre cloth with diluted vinegar (not alcohol) based glass or window cleaner e.g. Mr Muscle. Between finger and thumb clean the rim (run-in) - then wipe the whole surface of the record with a damp microfibre pad. Play both sides "wet". Repeat as required if the record is filthy. Crud on the stylus is the yardstick. Buff to a sheen with a dry microfibre cloth and play twice more. Any noise left is damage not dirt. I have several workhorse decks running as busy as I am trading and also as feeding my own archive requires. Yes it takes time and yes you need cleaning decks and expendable cartridges. Regas are amazing decks and carts and the motors are easily replaced.  There isn't a better way and I would never use a record cleaning machine. Cleaned records must be stored in paper not poly or poly-lined inners in order to avoid scarring.
9 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

I use L'Art du Son record cleaning fluid with distilled water in a Pro-ject record cleaning machine. You say record cleaning machines are expensive, but the Pro-Ject range start at 300 UK pounds which doesn't seem a lot to me relative to how much a decent record playing system costs.

I rather spend money towards music than buy a record cleaning machine in this case. I don't have an extensive record library, so really cannot justify the expense, not find a place to store the RCM,  and it bothers me that the cleaner sold with the machine or device can't be swapped with something else.

Inexpensive and probably least hassle of the non-motorized methods: https://www.musicdirect.com/cleaning-machines/in-the-groove-record-cleaner

Edit: Damn, I see it's no longer available, at least from Music Direct. Oh well, I like it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

24 minutes ago, One and a half said:

I rather spend money towards music than buy a record cleaning machine in this case. I don't have an extensive record library, so really cannot justify the expense, not find a place to store the RCM,  and it bothers me that the cleaner sold with the machine or device can't be swapped with something else.

You can use any cleaning fluid you like with an RCM like the Pro-Ject ones. The cleaning fluid recipe you used sounds like a bad idea to me as it’s got alcohol and tap water in it. The L’Art du Son cleaning fluid with distilled water costs peanuts per LP anyway, and I can’t see the point in saving money by using some inferior home brew that quite probably will damage your records.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

31 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Have you seen a Nitty Gritty?  I hear good things about them.  

Or a Spin Clean

https://www.musicdirect.com/cleaning-machines/spin-clean-starter-kit-record-washer-system-mk2

I tried one of those before I got my Pro-Ject RCM and it was a disaster with the records sounding noisier after cleaning than they were before.

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Which?  So I know not to recommend it in the future. 

The yellow plastic Spin Clean. It seems to work for other people but not for me.

3 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

You can use any cleaning fluid you like with an RCM like the Pro-Ject ones. The cleaning fluid recipe you used sounds like a bad idea to me as it’s got alcohol and tap water in it. The L’Art du Son cleaning fluid with distilled water costs peanuts per LP anyway, and I can’t see the point in saving money by using some inferior home brew that quite probably will damage your records.

For isopropyl (diluted 1:6) the jury is still out and far from settled.

Is it safe to clean vinyl records with alcohol?

8 easy and affordable ways to clean your vinyl records by hand