IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

3 hours ago, bit01 said:

@Downtheline - I find the JCAT USB sensitive to its power supply. You can change levels of PRaT, body of the music, bass level etc by changing how you power it. I can change the bass level from light to overwhelming by changing the power cord to its LPS. I am not familiar with the Farad but if you have experimented and you may already know this.

My current favorite LPS is described in the link below (I have a heavy gauge DIY Furutech PC on it and a DIY DC lead with the same Sablon cable on the JCAT) :

Really cool power supply. Will have to compare this with the DC4 i’m using. Super reasonably priced.

7 minutes ago, Downtheline said:

I'm also using a diy DC lead, made with mundorf silver gold wire. I think the Farad is decent, but I haven't experimented with others actually. I have an Uptone js2 on hand. And a Keces p3 I could play around with though. 

I use mostly SG DIY leads everywhere, except for the Opto USB, where I use Mundorf Angelique (ran out of SG).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

Sth new for DIY crowd from JCAT:

BUILD YOUR OWN OPTIMO POWER SUPPLY.

The linear power supply module that is used in our award-winning OPTIMO 3 DUO power supply now availalble to skilled DIY audiophiles.

https://jcat.eu/product/optimo-diy/

L1001469-Edit.thumb.jpg.235b61bae5524ed3c5a6b1f241661b27.jpg

This looks particularly nice for those who need smaller builds. I’m looking to replace my Keces P3 (on router and modem duty) and this may very well be what I go with. Will sync up with you about which transformer you recommend.

3 minutes ago, SK8 said:

I started working on my DIY PC chassis for a couple of months now, my objective is to put C621E and Nenon V3 ULPS in the same box. I learned Adobe Fusion 360 and tried a few CNC small factories in China. The quality of their output is not at a high standard, but they can accept my 3D drawings and produce the metal works in a week time at reasonable costs. Here are some of the pictures of my work in progress. I will put in more copper walls and Permali wood to support the big capacitors and chokes.

pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

pic3.JPG

pic4.JPG

pic5.JPG

pic6.JPG

pic7.JPG

Wow this looks amazing! Well done @SK8. Aside from the time spent learning Adobe Fusion 360 and designing this (I learned CAD to draft out rear panels only… this is on a whole new level), how much was the cost to build this?

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, GUTB said:

I will respond to you guys in detail later; I don't mean to ignore you. However I just wanted to report that I do NOT have an HDPlex. It's actually a TeraDak I picked up off of Aliexpress as being the cheapest linear ATX PSU I could find. So, the next question is: What is a good ATX linear power supply?

If you need an ATX LPS, the Optimo S ATX is really good. I’ve heard it in my system and if I hadn’t gone the diy route this is probably what I would have gotten. 

My system took on a different character with this LPS. If you search my previous posts you’ll find my write-up. In the end, I did prefer the ULPS V3 + Taiko dc-atx though, and this was before making a major improvement to the ULPS (swapping the first cap after rectification from a bypassed Mundorf Hc to unbipassed Mundorf AG, wow).

I have not heard the Teradak but the Optimo is substantially better than my gaming smps. This comparison was done with a Sean Jacobs DC4 powering my JCAT USB XE and Revelation Femto NVMe . 

The quality of power to ATX and EPS is critical to system performance, even if you have amazing power directly to the device connecting directly to your DAC.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, basillus said:

The Mundorf SG wire for ATX You use, is it the 1mm or 1.5mm? 

It is 1.5mm but I don’t use all of the inputs 😂

5 hours ago, basillus said:

I am thinking about to use  Mundorf Angelique 1.5mm or 2mm bare wire to the EPS cables and maybe ATX, but I haven`t find the bare wire in Europe yet…

I think Angelique will work great. Have you checked Audiophonics or Hificollective ? They both typically sell bare SG and Angelque. In fact, I am in the US and have purchased from both.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Toymanmark said:

4A1E3169-D68A-4DF7-BE08-0F54C9E2BA21.thumb.jpeg.7d28c6d5f4535660c40e2e0807a63ca5.jpegHello Tim, I just completed my 24 pin as well with the Mundorf 15.5awg cable. You will need to pre form each cable to the 24 pin connector and make sure the pins are soldered with the wings pointing toward the latch side of the connector. The 2 small wings sticking up on the pin side of the connector slide into grooves in the Molex connector. With the short cables I made, it was a PITA! Now I still need to complete the other 8 pin EPS with the Mundorf 2.0mm CAW. Good luck, hope this helps.

The server put up a good fight though!

I did not curse Nenon’s name more than ten times, throughout this project! F8329161-D265-4893-A7C0-3F038089391A.thumb.jpeg.a080fd1ec1d17a2fd7d8bb79809558fe.jpeg

I actually wanted to thank all who are contributing to this thread. I would have never attempted this without you guys!

I think we need to take that Taiko Extreme Server from Nenon so he gets back on this thread he created here. We miss you Nenon and the awesome knowledge you impart.

Mark

Fantastic work! I cant wait to have my Taiko chassis in-hand.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, tiggerkater55 said:

good evening everyone again,

the last days i made my way through the whole thread.

what a knowledgebase! thanks!

as i said i want to upgrade from my (very old) audio pc.

it seems that the „reference“ builds here were mainly based on i9900 cpus.

if i want to invest in newer cores, i am still not sure, whats the best way to go:

better a less demanding cpu like i5 12400/12500, or i5 13600 and perhaps easier to cool passivly, or „the more cores, the better“ like i7 12700?

any hints appreciated! (and as you could figure already, i am on a tight budget)

thanks a lot, kind regards!

As someone who happily uses an i9 9900k based source, I am still very happy with its performance. Do you plan to upsample using something like HQ player? If so, there may be better options these days. The latest generation of i9 has proven to provide solid performance with good power usage capabilities.  If upsampling, I would defer to the expertise of @StreamFidelity or others.

16 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

Is there other Options that won't mess with the SQ.

I really like the sound of the Intel 900P (PCIE formfactor) and NVME 800p, both for OS. The 900p as an OS drive was a clear upgrade over the 800p in my system. If converting from nvme to pci-e via adapter, then the adapter will also impact SQ (more than id like to admit).

25 minutes ago, di-fi said:

Could you elaborate? Did you compare to other NVMe.? And why do they stand out? I tried the Intel Optane M10 and like it very much, better than Intel670p and Intel665p. Optane M10 up to par with Samsung 970PRO.

900p > 800p : better bass control, lower noise floor, more transparency, more refined all to a noticeable and worthwhile degree.

I haven’t tried the M10 although I have 5 of them just sitting around.

The 800p bested a sata drive I used earlier on in a similar way. I cannot for the life of me remember what staa drive that was but I never went sata again. After hearing the 800p.

I have no experience with the 970 pro but I’m glad you like it.

@Nenon may have some genuine 900p drives he can sell. I mention the word genuine because it can be very difficult to determine whether your 900p is a real Intel product from ebay sources these days. If you’re buying from him, that will be one less thing to worry about.