IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

2 hours ago, Nenon said:

Discussed with Emile this morning. The root cause of this is the ULPS not being to deliver all the current the motherboard needs at cold boot. This is most likely caused by the 5A Hammond choke. You need a bigger choke and perhaps more capacitance (although if you use the Taiko cap, capacitance is probably fine but that also depends on the choke you pick). Higher voltage also helps as long as it does not exceed the Taiko DC-DC ATX specs. 

I was pretty sure that was the issue, but when I asked what CPUs you are using and @rico25 said Ryzen 7 3700X, that confused me. My guess is there are some peripherals/components in addition the the Ryzen that draw power. Maybe a GPU that draws less power is all @rico25 needs?

When the motherboard powers on it draws too much too power. That saturates the ULPS (5A Hammond choke in this case), and the voltage sags. When the voltage sags, the Taiko DC-DC ATX turns off to protect itself. That usually happens so quickly that's nearly impossible to see with a multimeter connected to the ULPS. Then you have to wait till everything resets...

Why that did not happen with the HDPlex DC-DC ATX for @Gavin1977? Most likely the protection circuit on the HDPlex is not as sensitive as the one on the Taiko DC-DC ATX. I managed to fry the first prototype of the DC-DC ATX Taiko sent out to test (it was fried about 2 hours after Fedex delivered it), and that forced Emile to adjust the protection to make the unit more durable / DIY friendly. 

So, the solution is to use a more powerful choke (and potentially add more capacitance). I have an old post about some options here: 

I have some interesting (but confusing to me at least) data for this. I now have two ULPS - one built sometime back by SoulAnalogue using a custom hand wound large 10A choke. This is further modified with Saligny HC and other things. The other ULPS is the v3 version that I completed (roughly put together) this past weekend using Taiko parts - transformer, rectifier, monster caps and the Hammond 5A choke. I had these parts for a while but just couldn't find the time to put it together.

1132003721_IMG_1318copy2.jpg.207b1a7d297fd7aee6754702953b7a09.jpg

922822319_IMG_1319copy2.jpg.2e6b3997f587a96aeccefe8fd0f72576.jpg

Interestingly both has the same issue of the server not powering immediately on power on but with a difference. I am still not sure that its an sole issue with the ULPS alone. I noted earlier that if you jump the PS_ON pins on the Taiko DC-ATX, the server will boot right away from cold.

The 10A choke version needs more time to warm up while the v3 version take less. I don't know what cap values are being used in SA ulps. I would need to disconnect and take a reading as the values are not printed on the cap itself. Maybe the 10A choke with larger cap might solve the issue.

2 hours ago, Nenon said:

However, when it comes to higher current chokes, there might be some better options than the Hammond. 

@MarcelNL  has some locally made chokes that were reported to be exceptionally good. I haven't tried them, but that would be my first choice to try, and I may do in the near future.

@Exocer had a great feedback with a Mundorf MCoil ZeroOhm inductor, but I am not sure what the max rating on this would be. These were designed for speaker crossovers but Mundorf tested them for @Exocer and confirmed they are good as a 5A replacement. I just don't know if they are capable to go beyond 5A safely. 

I have been thinking of getting the Mundorf MCoil ZeroOhm inductor for the ulps v3 as well. Can you also check with Emile what choke spec be recommends ?  Can two 10A chokes work with ulps v3 spec using Taiko monster cap ?

Using a Toroidy 500VA transformer and two Lundahl ll2273 chokes(off the top of my mind) I never had to wait for booting using an AMD R9 CPU .

These chokes are capable of 10A., I had them in common mode and in parallel, no difference

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

9 minutes ago, Nenon said:

But after chatting with Emile today, I am confident it's all ULPS voltage sagging related. 

If its the ULPS voltage sagging issue, how does it explain the fact that if you jump the PS_ON it boots right off the cold ?

23 minutes ago, Dev said:

If its the ULPS voltage sagging issue, how does it explain the fact that if you jump the PS_ON it boots right off the cold ?

That's a question for Taiko as it's related to exactly how the protection circuit on the Taiko DC-DC ATX works and exactly what changes when you use the jumper. I don't have any documentation of the programmed logic and can't answer this.

The bottom line is that if the voltage on the ULPS does not sag, the Taiko DC-DC ATX will not turn itself off, and you would not be in this situation. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

28 minutes ago, Nenon said:

That's a question for Taiko as it's related to exactly how the protection circuit on the Taiko DC-DC ATX works and exactly what changes when you use the jumper.

its quiet possible that the protection circuit doesn't kick in when PS_ON jumper is on. However, the motherboard still might be happy with the sag and keep continuing the boot.

The 10A choke didn't work for me and I am not sure if its due to less capacitance (or why more capacitance is needed in cold boot but not otherwise) in the SA ulps. I think it might be worthwhile to try a 10A choke in the v3 version for those who are unhappy with this issue.

Anyway, I am not too concerned about the delayed boot issue as I hardly turn off the server. What matters is how it sounds at the end 🙂

On 1/11/2023 at 3:11 PM, Exocer said:

You just reminded me, there were a few I did not try yet! Will report back as well.

These would be between my individual ER and Server.0ED5D58A-BF59-400C-857D-22DA54B233D8.thumb.jpeg.cdf1c54275865dffce23c720494766bd.jpeg

Yeah look forward to hear back. You tried these two years ago? So you must have made up your mind?

I understand a longer passive DAC cable at a certain length (7m?) has to be replaced by an active DAC to make up for losses (audible or not). 

A look inside: nothing in the signal path, a chip on the bottom of the board.

7B1DB07C-7EC3-4B95-B7CB-1B71087BBEAE.jpeg

73AC6FD5-88AA-45ED-813D-4FF8CE020B7E.jpeg

1AA60B50-38C1-47B0-A8FC-EFAF4E0957C5.jpeg

I am curious, how many of you ordered the Taiko chassis in this batch ? I am still on the edge as I am unsure how much of improvement I would get from a i9-10900k/Asus ROG to a dual Xeon Silver/Asus Sage. Anyone changed setup like this and can comment on the sound quality ?

16 minutes ago, di-fi said:

Yeah, look forward to hear back. You tried these two years ago? So you must have made up your mind?

I understand a longer passive DAC cable at a certain length (7m?) has to be replaced by an active DAC to make up for losses (audible or not). 

A look inside, nothing in the signal path. Only a chip on the bottom of the board.

7B1DB07C-7EC3-4B95-B7CB-1B71087BBEAE.jpeg

73AC6FD5-88AA-45ED-813D-4FF8CE020B7E.jpeg

1AA60B50-38C1-47B0-A8FC-EFAF4E0957C5.jpeg

I had them sitting around for two years, tried another one that I did not source from Amazon, and lost patience with it as I just wanted to enjoy my listening. I didn’t try either of the cables pictured above. They are brand new in package. Will definitely try them at some point and update this thread.

25 minutes ago, Exocer said:

I had them sitting around for two years, tried another one that I did not source from Amazon, and lost patience with it as I just wanted to enjoy my listening. I did try either of the cables pictured above. They are brand new in package. Will definitely try them at some point and update this thread.

I quickly tried one last Friday, but had other issues. It did not seem to connect or possibly only at 100 Mpbs? So I wonder if every DAC cable will work.
Would be great to ditch both SFP modules since they have their “colour” and get a gain in sound quality. Even though at Taiko processes are now going through a similar (?) DAC cable in their (new) switch instead of being handled by the server to establish a gain. (and they recommended RJ45 from router to switch and SFP DAC twinax copper cable from switch to server).That’s not exactly happening here, it’s only a cable change instead. You never know. Will try again later.

Thanks @lwrthat’s exactly the feedback I was looking for. What are you using to power the JCAT cards ? What are you using as OS and music player ? Also if I understand correctly, you are using the native Ethernet and USB out of the Asus Sage ? What prevented you from not using the JCAT cards in this build ?

did you preorder the Taiko Network card ? 

I have Asus Sage with JCat Femto LAN and JCat USB powered externally by SJ DC3 & DC4. Serwer is powered by Nenon’s ULPS and Taiko ATX.

I went trough ULPS V2 -> V3 -> V2 with Hammond, Ogonowski and SoulAnalogue (SA) chokes with different total capacitance applied, but rather on the bigger side ( min. 130K uF with 5A and min. 170K uF plus with 10A choke).

Hammmond and Ogonowski chokes are rated with 5A and SA 10A. Currently I have Mundorf HC 22 000uF, SA choke and Taiko monster cap. I never had any problem with booting computer.

Recently I’ve changed the Windows power management settings and immediately computer started to behave differently -> slow down booting / repeated booting  and problems with loading OS, so I returned to original power management Windows settings. Also changing settings in BIOS ( CPU & RAM setting fix voltage ) had in my case an impact on the way, how computer was booting, so I returned to automatic settings.

My second server is based on AsRock Taichi X99 Mobo with strong 10 core Xeon and also no problems with booting.

Booting problems can be also caused by too tight screwed CPU.

4 hours ago, Rovo said:

on the winding  - dimension incl. the core facts the VN180 and VN300 will be loadable at 5A (I requested no more than 5A!). And they also mentioned 4A are possible for each qmm. 

Thanks for confirming. My previous post is incorrect. For those who want a Mundorf choke with support for more than 5A, please reach out to Mundorf directly and get their take. 

From the 4A for each qmm (quadratic/squared mm) I take it that the VN180-10 (1,8mm diameter wire) and definitely the VN300-10 (3mm diameter wire) can be loaded to more than 5A. But best to get confirmation directly from Mundorf if you need more than 5A. 

Industry disclosure: Rolan Hi-Fi owner

Core saturation is another limitation

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

15 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Keep in mind that Inductors behave differently with AC and DC. The Mundorf chokes are designed for speaker crossovers (i.e. AC). We use them for DC.  

@MarcelNL - is your guy willing to make some more chokes? I heard excellent feedback about them, and they might be the best option for ULPS exceeding 5A.

Yeah, I would be very interested in joining a group buy. But @MarcelNLthere is one thing you mentioned that I've always wanted to ask about.

Do you recall mentioning your output voltage dropping to 24v with the chokes mentioned above? Can you explain if that is expected behavior or if something else was the cause of the voltage drop?