IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

7 hours ago, scintilla said:

Call me cynical if you will, but the L3 versions from any distributor look exactly to me just like a way for a distributor to increase their profit-per-unit over factory designs with essentially cosmetic additions that are characterized as proprietary "tuning" and "voicing" which is purported to be unique and vastly improving.  Nope.  Not buying it. Jeff already knew what he was doing when he designed the May and applying lipstick for an up-sell might be smart business for the distributors for the gullible, well-heeled or neurotic but it is hardly necessary at this maturity of design; those dac covers are magnetically permeable and also will not resist RF but they sure are pretty. You spends yer moneys and you takes yer chances.  Caveat emptor.

Sure however you do not know that for sure at best your guessing,

The L2 May to the KTE model there’s a $700.00 and change difference.....I’m neither well healed nor neurotic maybe a little OCD infection its telling me to spend that extra or suffer later ,... if later on several people did direct comparisons between the L2 May and KTE and found little or no differences , oh well , it’s $700.00 , as crazy as that may sound to you I have lengths of wire connecting my components and speakers that cost a lot more then $700.00.

Good stuff. Review prep?

I'm thinking USB shouldn't use the PLL whether it's enabled or not as the DAC provides the clock for USB. It wouldn't make much sense to PLL it's own clock...

Can you hear any difference between any of them or even the optical without PLL enabled? -10dB at -140dB is very low.

14 hours ago, Hiker said:

Sure however you do not know that for sure at best your guessing,

The L2 May to the KTE model there’s a $700.00 and change difference.....I’m neither well healed nor neurotic maybe a little OCD infection its telling me to spend that extra or suffer later ,... if later on several people did direct comparisons between the L2 May and KTE and found little or no differences , oh well , it’s $700.00 , as crazy as that may sound to you I have lengths of wire connecting my components and speakers that cost a lot more then $700.00.

My cable collection alone would buy a very nice new mid-size sedan. I agree, the KTE upgrade is negligible in the grand scheme of things. I truly hope Tim does makes an additional commision on the KTE because he earned it and my business. 😊 

I have a Titanis from Tim too, from a few years ago, and I really haven't given it enough time in my system, each instance I try it.  It seems those times were when too much else was changing in my system that I couldn't isolate it out.  But now that you bring it up, I realize I should install it into my Singxer/Holo/RAAL setup for now, and then give it some time.  These RAALs are so revealing that if the Titanis DOES have value-add I should hear it more plainly than in a larger speaker system.  Thx for the reminder.  🙂

Sorry for taking this OT. 

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

I have a Titanis from Tim too, from a few years ago, and I really haven't given it enough time in my system, each instance I try it.  It seems those times were when too much else was changing in my system that I couldn't isolate it out.  But now that you bring it up, I realize I should install it into my Singxer/Holo/RAAL setup for now, and then give it some time.  These RAALs are so revealing that if the Titanis DOES have value-add I should hear it more plainly than in a larger speaker system.  Thx for the reminder.  🙂

Sorry for taking this OT. 

So to bring it back on to topic, I have read that the May has the next generation of the Titanis circuitry as part of the USB input.  So it may not improve the May any. Just plugging it in cold to the May I heard just a tiny difference.  I have plugged it into my Kitsune Singxer U2 for my NVidia Shield streamer output (a pretty dirty input I imagine), and am letting it burn in there.  I think I do hear a difference there!