IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

12 minutes ago, ted_b said:

John Hughes, you need to try HQPlayer sometime soon.  When you get the just the right recipe of filter and dither/modulator (especially if your server has enough gas to do EC modulators) you'll hear that it goes way beyond what Roon can do.  Roon is still a piece of this, but on another machine, feeding HQPlayer (the startling benefits of taking Roon off your HQPlayer machine is quite dramatic in my estimation).  Another nice thing about upsampling in general, and HQPlayer's upsampling in particular, is that almost all dacs have a sweetspot where they sound best.  Because Holo products like May can be put in NOS mode, it's easy to find that sweetspot(s) over time. 

I will definitely try it, I use the Parametric EQ in Roon for speaker correction. So I think I have to duplicate that with HQplayer. This adds another wrinkle to the mix. I have a powerful Win 10 workstation (Ryzen 3950 CPU and 32GB ram) for the Roon Core, so i have the juice.  I've not seen a comprehensive guide on how to accomplish this with HQplayer, just bits and pieces and forums.  Any pointer to good resources?

1 hour ago, Mops911 said:

IMHO, the best music always comes from small shops. Large companies always sacrifice music for dollars :-D

Not always but seemingly often. I also think it's important to support small innovators and yes this means waiting longer (or more time to anticipate) and potentially paying a bit more (though often less because the big distribution/sales machine isn't involved, yet).

3 minutes ago, John Hughes said:

So I think I have to duplicate that with HQplayer. This adds another wrinkle to the mix. 

You can have Roon continue PEQ into HQPlayer no problem. However, I find that HQP plays 'cleaner' with PEQ and/or convolution than Roon but it's subtle.

Convolution is preferred in my experience over PEQ regardless of where the processing occurs.

9 minutes ago, mrkoven said:

Do you guys leave your May on 24/7? I'm finding that it sounds better once it's been on for many hours. So ideally I'd like to just leave it running 24/7, but not sure if that's detrimental to cap life or whatnot, maybe negligible? 

The caps will likely out live all of us. They're not like caps of 40 years ago. Leave it on unless you're going to be away for a few days or more.

During the break-in period some find its advantageous to turn off the unit and let it completely cool for 4-5 hours every 5 days or so. Should speed the changes in the caps and other dielectrics but then leave it on all the time for best sound.

11 minutes ago, mrkoven said:

Do you guys leave your May on 24/7? I'm finding that it sounds better once it's been on for many hours. So ideally I'd like to just leave it running 24/7, but not sure if that's detrimental to cap life or whatnot, maybe negligible? 

Electrolytic caps do have a a lifespan, and ultimately will need replacement if one is sure they are going to use the component for many years to come.  Film capacitors will last "forever" unless subject to misuse.  Most other parts in a solid state DAC like this will last "forever" (virtually) as long as the design is solid, and the DAC is not abused somehow.  Me, I would leave it on all the time for better sound, and be willing to replace electrolytic capacitors, perhaps, at some point in the future-as long as I liked the DAC enough to want use it for years to come.  Buy a few LED lights to offset the  electricity used, or pay attention to turning off lights in the home.  And then I unplug if going away for a few days or more, for the protection of gear and safety.

edit: Also note that cycling the power to the capacitors is often the most damaging/aging thing, as the inrush surge can be stressful to the part-so constant power cycling daily has its own downsides as well.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

14 minutes ago, mrkoven said:

Yeah I just leave it on 24/7. 
Thermal cycling is typically worse for components than being warm for long durations, and I'd much rather the DAC be ready to go at any time

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

Most of my equipment stays in standby mode. The digital stays completely on 24/7. The onrush of current at turn on will be much more detrimental than the wear to electrolytic caps over time. I probably won't last as long as the electrolytics at this point. By the way, most equipment failures occur at turn on.

2 hours ago, Mops911 said:

IMHO, the best music always comes from small shops. Large companies always sacrifice music for dollars :-D

A good example is ATC, still remain as a family business since 1975! They design and manufacture all the drivers and electronics in-house. So many happy users both at home and in studios. Many famous engineers and musicians use them such as David Gilmour, Mark Knofler and Lenny Kravitz and others.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

I have ATC speakers, Holo May, NRG power cables, Iconoclast interconnects and speaker, and PS Audio preamp, amp and regen. Oh, and Pink Faun streamer. All are very small to small, PS Audio is pretty big but behaves like a small shop in that the customer service (in the US) is absolutely exemplary, above and beyond.

18 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

I've had my May since shortly after it was released, and have tried a fair few options with it.

I tend to prefer PCM one way or the other to DSD on the may. Both are excellent, and having a true DSD converter is great for native DSD content which I have a fair bit of, but for upsampling I prefer upsampled PCM instead of DSD. (Not the case with other dacs, this is specific to the may).

Yup, upsampled PCM for me as well. 

15 minutes ago, Diavolo said:

Yup, upsampled PCM for me as well. 

Are you talking about May's own upsampling?  I've done a lot of comparisons, and what I hear is that while the PCM upsampling sounds a bit 'crisper' and forces the ambience more forward it loses more subtle details and richness inside acoustic instruments. I listen to mostly acoustic-based recordings with real instruments, as opposed to electronic, and that might have more to do with my preference. The DSD upsampling sounds dull and saps the energy from the music to me.

42 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

I do also have a pi2aes but the SMS200 ultra has 768khz support whereas pi2aes does not so I normally only use pi2aes with native content and other dacs.

I wish I could find a PCI-e card with I2S and support for more than 192/32 PCM. I have the Pink Faun with oven clock but the limit doesn't allow the best from HQPe like USB.

9 minutes ago, John Hughes said:

Are you talking about May's own upsampling?  I've done a lot of comparisons, and what I hear is that while the PCM upsampling sounds a bit 'crisper' and forces the ambience more forward it loses more subtle details and richness inside acoustic instruments. I listen to mostly acoustic-based recordings with real instruments, as opposed to electronic, and that might have more to do with my preference. The DSD upsampling sounds dull and saps the energy from the music to me.

I would assume that, like Holo's earlier wonder dacs like my Holo Spring KTE, the OS modes in the May use cheap DSP chips and cannot compare to even using Roon upsampling, let alone HQplayer or an outboard processor like the Chord M-Scaler.   May is meant to play at NOS mode IMO.  And yes, I would assume, again, that Jeff's great R2R design makes PCM upsampling (to PCM) a real winner.  I never liked crossing over to PCM-to-DSD.  I leave DSD in its own domain, upsampling it to DSD256 via ASDM7EC.  Can't wait to hear May's PCM at 32fs!  👍

8 minutes ago, lpost said:

I wish I could find a PCI-e card with I2S and support for more than 192/32 PCM. I have the Pink Faun with oven clock but the limit doesn't allow the best from HQPe like USB.

+1  Wouldn't a PCI-e card that does what the SIngxers (or other decent DDCs) do, without all the extra cabling and power supplies, be a great thing!

3 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I would assume that, like Holo's earlier wonder dacs like my Holo Spring KTE, the OS modes in the May use cheap DSP chips and cannot compare to even using Roon upsampling, let alone HQplayer or an outboard processor like the Chord M-Scaler.   May is meant to play at NOS mode IMO.  And yes, I would assume, again, that Jeff's greaat R2R design makes PCM upsampling (to PCM) a real winner.  I never liked crossing over to PCM-to-DSD.  I leave DSD in its own domain, upsampling it to DSD256 via ASDM7EC.  Can't wait to hear May's PCM at 32fs!  👍

I have plenty of NativeDSD releases in highe rX DSD and DXD, they sound great without any upsampling :) I always buy the native resolution/format of the release.

23 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I would assume that, like Holo's earlier wonder dacs like my Holo Spring KTE, the OS modes in the May use cheap DSP chips and cannot compare to even using Roon upsampling, let alone HQplayer or an outboard processor like the Chord M-Scaler.   May is meant to play at NOS mode IMO.  And yes, I would assume, again, that Jeff's great R2R design makes PCM upsampling (to PCM) a real winner.  I never liked crossing over to PCM-to-DSD.  I leave DSD in its own domain, upsampling it to DSD256 via ASDM7EC.  Can't wait to hear May's PCM at 32fs!  👍

This is one of the reasons I want to purchase this dac ,....however there seems to be dark forces at work that won’t allow my order to go through including anyone at the dealership return any of my multiple queries thus far .

The sites Live Support seems to have passed away ,...

Thank you, yes our stuff sounds great in NOS mode, bypassing upsampling (for DXD) or running HQPlayer in Direct SDM mode for DSD (especially stuff our labels recorded at DSD256).  The new Eudora at DSD256 is pure!  😎