IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

8 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Fake News No. 1: I use JCAT USB Femto and XE Cards. Of course they go up to 1,536kHz PCM and 1,024 DSD. The appropriate driver must be installed under Windows. Below is an example with 1.411.2kHz PCM on a Denafrips T+.

39299446ez.png

Fake News No. 2: With the CPUs available today, only DSD 256 with ASDM7EC is possible. In a 2-channel system, two cores must run on 4GHz. DSD 512 with ASDM7EC, two cores would have to run at approx. 8GHz, etc.

Fake News No. 3: It's the filters that can be outsourced to CUDA. Never the modulators.

Tim and I disagree with your assessment.  We both tried the card and it didn't work.  Furthermore, your need to denigrate me by saying Fake News is pretty childish.  If you need to justify to yourself that the JCAT isn't just an overpriced gimmick, great.  Tim at Kitsune had the identical issue and newsflash, it applies to several pcie based usb solutions with regard to the Holo May KTE DAC.  

Damn, I'm glad I didn't buy a Terminator +, I'd be bitter too. You guys are grumpy 😡 you don't own the Holo May KTE 😁 

I NEVER was insinuating that ASDM7EC is possible with DSD1024, but 1024 is possible with lessor modulators because I've done it.

I'll give you that I was confused regarding what is Cuda offloading and what is the processor doing.  I mispoke, does that give you the right to be an abrasive prick? The only point I was even making was that using Cuda offloading using a powerful high ghz processor you allow the cpu to focus on one thing.  If I put 1024 in, it was an error. 

Fake news?  You're a grown man, act like it. 

The Holo Spring 2 and May USB implementation is special. Maybe StreamFidelity can lend me his XE for 1-2 days.. 😉

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

18 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

The Holo Spring 2 and May USB implementation is special. Maybe StreamFidelity can lend me his XE for 1-2 days.. 😉

Tim has the newer XE card to test, but I've not followed up again as the last time I waited like 2 months to see if it worked with the Holo May and he replied he frankly was so busy he hadn't even gotten around to trying it yet, so I let go.  It's been like 2 month since then. 

You should bug him 😁 

How can someone be that busy not to test the XE card! 🙂 My Asmedia card worked under Windows but I haven't tried it with HQPlayer OS yet because I use a NUC booting Jussi's NAA image. Yesterday I have updated my both Euphony NUCs. In NAA mode (Euphony) the playback of 1411.2 and 1536 khz PCM is possible but it's no pleasure. Sounds strange. It seems only Jussi knows the secret under Linux.

5 hours ago, Diavolo said:

Tim and I disagree with your assessment.

Why assessment? Both cards are doing great for me. 😉 Instead of denigrating the JCAT products, you can ask @Marcin_gps  for advice.

5 hours ago, Diavolo said:

I NEVER was insinuating that ASDM7EC is possible with DSD1024, but 1024 is possible with lessor modulators because I've done it.

Then why do you write something like that:

6 hours ago, Diavolo said:

If you need DSD1024 ASDM7EC you'll need a custom 6-8core CPU that can run continuous at 4.5ghz-5ghz of which HQplayer will use 2 cores for the modulator.

It is not technically possible. Think about what you are going to write beforehand. If someone makes three false claims in a short article, I call them fake news.

4 hours ago, Holzohr said:

Maybe StreamFidelity can lend me his XE for 1-2 days.. 😉

No problem. Write me. 👍

15 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Why assessment? Both cards are doing great for me. 😉 Instead of denigrating the JCAT products, you can ask @Marcin_gps  for advice.

Then why do you write something like that:

It is not technically possible. Think about what you are going to write beforehand. If someone makes three false claims in a short article, I call them fake news.

OMG! I typed the wrong modulator, by mistake!  You're a pedantic person caught up in petty semantics.  The JCAT card is a farce anyway and it didn't work for me or Tim at Kitsune....in our systems, I'm glad you got it working ... in your system.  I bet you think you hear a difference too with your keen observational acuity?  You must actually think you're "Captain Save a Ho" stopping me in my pursuit to spread fake news.  IMHO JCAT made no difference and was a dumb purchase so get over it fan boy.  Ask the distributor he'll tell you the same thing.  He was less than enthused about trying the XE card to see if it's problematic as well.

On 2/15/2021 at 5:18 PM, MichaelHiFi said:

I finally received an email  from Tim. 

So to be honest, from what I understand, the 5 volts is needed for the handshake. I guess that answers my question. Bill (grannyring) is building me a cable (double smoked) for the May.

Now I need a server, or what I really want to do is build a server.

Yes, I have a Roon endpoint that allows me to turn off the power bus to the USB,  the May will not connect when I turn off the power bus.

3 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

Tim just emailed me that he has not tried the XE card yet, although he already has it, but it does have the proper chipset so in theory it should work with DSD1024. 

I'm sorry you did not like the original USB Card. You had a right to return it for a full refund. 

Best regards,
Marcin Ostapowicz
JPLAY & JCAT Founder

It's not a matter of liking it or not because it simply doesn't work at 1.536mhz. I'm not sure I bought it from JCAT. It's simply a matter of the original card isn't as capable as the USB on my motherboard. It works up to its limitations, but unfortunately there's no performance improvement to be had by my ears even with a lps.  I can't speak for the xe because I don't own it and I'm not willing to throw $1000 away just to have peace of mind.  I find it humorous that you felt it necessary to comment because you don't like my opinion of your card and it's limitations. 

Thanks to all of you that have shared your impressions, experience and knowledge of the May-DAC family.

My order was placed right at the start of Chinese New Year so I don't expect I'll see it until early April.

I've read the entire thread and certainly would like to read more, after a few more months have passed, of your impressions.

I'm coming from the past 3 years with a PS Audio DirectStream DAC. I replaced the output transformers and added a Farad supply for the analog board. It really bloomed but I'm ready for a change and next level. I may have shared this before, my apologies.

Did you find it completely settled by 500 hours or did it take more like 1000 hours?

Is USB straight from source as good as SU-1 KTE or Matrix spdif2 (I have both, along with an Intona 4055-C). I'm thinking none of these will do anything for the new USB input.

I thinking the May L3 will pair very well with my tube-input pre and amp. ;)

Here's my system:

578052537_ScreenShot2021-02-19at5_13_54PM.thumb.png.16bbf078cd7aed3e7751b020fd8bea5f.png

Sweet Ipost. Well thought out system IMO. 

Will be real interesting to here your May DAC playing (ultimately) through the ATC's. I had the ATC's for awhile and really enjoyed them. I owned so damn many speakers and the ATC's still stand out as a neutral conveyor of music. 

I'm hopeful that I'll see my May before May. Wait, kidding, maybe end of March, although I'm upgrading my stereo. But it's costing us ~450K dollars.

Muchas gracias

To date I have kept my audio addiction spend to roughly 10% of your spend. My heirs will be happy. Is that all equipment or are you building a room?

I downsized to a single-level 1300sq. ft. home 5 years ago and lost my dedicated space. But with the very sophisticated DSP (HQPe, HAF convolution and Room Shaper) the ATC sing exceedingly well in my living room space of 18'x14'x8' on the long wall. I replaced the caps and resistors in the filter network and was astonished at the increase in resolution and yet still zero fatigue. ATC knows how to make drivers, but cheaped out on the parts...though to be fair this NOT an expensive speaker.

My $450K reference was to a new home that has a basement. And in that basement is a room dedicated to audio. Soundproof, radiant heat, dedicated circuits, floating walls, finally a room that I can call safe audio space. And it will be 2 channel only, no more sharing duties with HT. 

The May will anchor the digital end along with a room server I'm designing, maybe with the help of folks here.

15 minutes ago, lpost said:

Muchas gracias

To date I have kept my audio addiction spend to roughly 10% of your spend. My heirs will be happy. Is that all equipment or are you building a room?

I downsized to a single-level 1300sq. ft. home 5 years ago and lost my dedicated space. But with the very sophisticated DSP (HQPe, HAF convolution and Room Shaper) the ATC sing exceedingly well in my living room space of 18'x14'x8' on the long wall. I replaced the caps and resistors in the filter network and was astonished at the increase in resolution and yet still zero fatigue. ATC knows how to make drivers, but cheaped out on the parts...though to be fair this NOT an expensive speaker.

I understand completely. I completely rebuilt my Usher Towers. Jantzen Superiors, Dueland wire, mills resistors, air coils, WBT's direct connections to mid, uppers. Now they are beautiful inside and out ;)

And still, in order to get the best, I had to run them through Dirac Live on my NAD M17 V2. But a strange this happened. I procured a Kinki Studio M1+. It sounded dreadful of course through the break-in period. It opened up but using my best cord it had a serious bump in the upper bass. Changed cord, bump gone. So transparent now using my Lindemann DSD, I wonder why I ordered the May.

Perhaps I'll know why in a few months...

11 hours ago, lpost said:Is USB straight from source as good as SU-1 KTE or Matrix spdif2 (I have both, along with an Intona 4055-C). I'm thinking none of these will do anything for the new USB input.

Interested in answer to above question too. I bought a May KTE as I was moving to Japan. I’ve had it for about 3 weeks but the rest of my gear and belongings don’t arrive until Monday so I’m forced to look at the wonderful May for 2 more days and not listen to it. 

11 hours ago, lpost said:

Is USB straight from source as good as SU-1 KTE or Matrix spdif2 (I have both, along with an Intona 4055-C). I'm thinking none of these will do anything for the new USB input.

Interested in answer to above question too. I bought a May KTE as I was moving to Japan. I’ve had it for about 3 weeks but the rest of my gear and belongings don’t get delivered to me until Monday so I’m forced to look at the wonderful May for 2 more days and not listen to it. 

2 hours ago, oneguy said:

Interested in answer to above question too. I bought a May KTE as I was moving to Japan. I’ve had it for about 3 weeks but the rest of my gear and belongings don’t get delivered to me until Monday so I’m forced to look at the wonderful May for 2 more days and not listen to it. 

You taking Monday off? ;)