IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

My May L2 is under construction and I am eager to learn more about the Serene. I believe that I already have a good gain structure in my system going direct and using software volume attenuation in HQP. But options are good. It certainly looks beautiful.  I would like to see more about the design.

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

10 hours ago, scintilla said:

My May L2 is under construction and I am eager to learn more about the Serene. I believe that I already have a good gain structure in my system going direct and using software volume attenuation in HQP. But options are good. It certainly looks beautiful.  I would like to see more about the design.

Congrats, I have excellent sound without a preamp, so you should be fine.  I'm not sure the Serene with improve sound quality, but based on it's specs. I'm hopeful it won't detract anything either and I gain a universal volume remote for my system.  It's probably the most expensive remote control I've ever owned, lol.  I just wish all app's audio could be as easy to control as Roon's volume control where safe limits can be set on the slider.  I might even get lucky and gain soundstage or some other sonic benefit from adding the preamp, although I'm not expecting it.

Level Pilot could be useful. 🙂 I bought one when I had a DS DAC. I was not so happy with its digital volume control. Well, I will go the 'Serene' road, too. I still have two/three analog sources.

@GoldenOne has created a Serene thread:

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

1 hour ago, Holzohr said:

Level Pilot could be useful. 🙂 I bought one when I had a DS DAC. I was not so happy with its digital volume control. Well, I will go the 'Serene' road, too. I still have two/three analog sources.

@GoldenOne has created a Serene thread:

Thanks for the links 😊. What a neat and useful volume control for only $50.  I just paid $2950 more the remote control volume feature in the Serene! However, look at all the money I'm saving on acquiring extra long Analysis Plus Apex Silver interconnects to position the remote where I would need it 😁

I'm saving all kinds of 💵! 😁 

On 2/20/2021 at 4:25 AM, MichaelHiFi said:

Sweet Ipost. Well thought out system IMO. 

Will be real interesting to here your May DAC playing (ultimately) through the ATC's. I had the ATC's for awhile and really enjoyed them. I owned so damn many speakers and the ATC's still stand out as a neutral conveyor of music. 

I'm hopeful that I'll see my May before May. Wait, kidding, maybe end of March, although I'm upgrading my stereo. But it's costing us ~450K dollars.

Although not at all surprised, as a long time ATC user it is still good to hear you really liked their sound.
I have been using ATCs since 1998 and have been the lucky owner of their special model ATC EL 150 Actives for the past 10 years or so.
I only use digital source and go direct DAC to my speakers.
Good luck with your new home and system. 

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

1 hour ago, Hiker said:

I’m about to order the May KTE , I have asked a set of questions to the dealer in the US and haven’t received a reply yet .

One question I have does the May dac need a vbus powered USB cable ? 
Thank you 

1 hour ago, Hiker said:

I’m about to order the May KTE , I have asked a set of questions to the dealer in the US and haven’t received a reply yet .

One question I have does the May dac need a vbus powered USB cable ? 
Thank you 

Hi Hiker,

I asked this question and this is what I got from Tim regarding USB and power. It's a bit cryptic to me but it looks like you do not need to carry the 5 volts through the USB cable. Others are welcome to correct me.

"Michael,
Correct. This is only used for a handshake.
So there is no need to use a cable without it. Since the voltage ripple from the power never will reach the dac. A
Standard usb cable is highly recommended.
And if you want a zero compromise usb cable than I highly highly highly recommend the intona usb cables we sell. The premium trade or reference grade are as good as it gets.

Super tight impedance specs of 1.8ohms+\- for premium grade or 88.2-91.8ohM range. Super super tight. Better than 99.9% of audio grade usb cables already.
The reference is even better at 0.8Ohms +\- or 89.2-90.8 ohm. This is ideal for highly sensitive measurement gear and a bit overkill for audio, but it’s a no compromises solution without a doubt."

5 hours ago, Holzohr said:

Lol, that's what I should do, too! But right now I am thinking hard about purchasing the JCAT USB XE card from @StreamFidelity 😆

I have reactivated my Level Pilot again and placed it between the Spring 2 and my active speakers. It is really a neat volume control though I have read about a mismatch between left and right channel after a certain time of use. At least in this case you will be safe with the Serene. 🙂

Left the Surface Dial, very useful for Roon (plus HQPlayer) users. Right the Level Pilot. Sorry for pic quality.

IMG_20210304_101147.jpg

Pict quality is fine and very festive.  Level pilot is not as cumbersome cable-wise as I originally thought. The Microsoft product would have been the logical choice for me using Roon or hqplayer alone .  My audiophile super best friend, Mike, poopooed the expenditure for the Serene preamp.  Says it's too clean to add any euphonic benefit sonically.  I love pissing him off so I'm sticking with the Serene anyway.  I might pretend to switch to vinyl just to irk him 😁.

15 minutes ago, MichaelHiFi said:

Hi Hiker,

I asked this question and this is what I got from Tim regarding USB and power. It's a bit cryptic to me but it looks like you do not need to carry the 5 volts through the USB cable. Others are welcome to correct me.

"Michael,
Correct. This is only used for a handshake.
So there is no need to use a cable without it. Since the voltage ripple from the power never will reach the dac. A
Standard usb cable is highly recommended.
And if you want a zero compromise usb cable than I highly highly highly recommend the intona usb cables we sell. The premium trade or reference grade are as good as it gets.

Super tight impedance specs of 1.8ohms+\- for premium grade or 88.2-91.8ohM range. Super super tight. Better than 99.9% of audio grade usb cables already.
The reference is even better at 0.8Ohms +\- or 89.2-90.8 ohm. This is ideal for highly sensitive measurement gear and a bit overkill for audio, but it’s a no compromises solution without a doubt."

Thanks Michael, That is a cryptic reply ,. Well currently I use the non 5v USB cable from Sablon Audio .

2 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

This not correct.  The 5V through the USB “is required for the handshake” means it is required.  The 5V just does not power the USB input.  You can disconnect the 5V after your DAC connects.  Split cables with separate 5V-only USB connectors have been around for a long time.  Primarily they are used for providing a separate 5V source, but are also used to pull the 5V after the handshake.  

OK then , thank you ,..

On 3/4/2021 at 3:22 AM, mevdinc said:

Although not at all surprised, as a long time ATC user it is still good to hear you really liked their sound.

I evaluated 18 different stand mount speakers before settling on the ATC 11. It was less expensive to buy a used pair from a gent in the UK than new in the US. He upgraded to the 19. I simply don’t need or want anything larger than the 11. Would I like the larger, I sure think I would in a larger space. I understand the clear, transparent while remaining  completely non-fatiguing is consistent through the line.

I’m happy I went to the minor trouble to replace the simply bad binding posts, wiring, sand cast resisters and ok caps. The drivers are top notch!

I missed LP records by just a few years. My older sister had a few dozen but the cassette could go anywhere with me and that was at the core of my loving music. The compliment to my life would have been lost if all I had was records.

Now that I’m much less out in the world active than my adventure days I’m completely satisfied with all digital. I truly don’t have room for gear nor records now either.

Quicky scrap wood shelf for the May dac. The power supply shelf is already done. This straddles it but transfers all of its vibration into the shelf below the PS.

95F3AD55-6368-4B53-BE2A-9308D6C5C0C5.jpeg

12 hours ago, lpost said:

I evaluated 18 different stand mount speakers before settling on the ATC 11. It was less expensive to buy a used pair from a gent in the UK than new in the US. He upgraded to the 19. I simply don’t need or want anything larger than the 11. Would I like the larger, I sure think I would in a larger space. I understand the clear, transparent while remaining  completely non-fatiguing is consistent through the line.

I’m happy I went to the minor trouble to replace the simply bad binding posts, wiring, sand cast resisters and ok caps. The drivers are top notch!

I missed LP records by just a few years. My older sister had a few dozen but the cassette could go anywhere with me and that was at the core of my loving music. The compliment to my life would have been lost if all I had was records.

Now that I’m much less out in the world active than my adventure days I’m completely satisfied with all digital. I truly don’t have room for gear nor records now either.

Quicky scrap wood shelf for the May dac. The power supply shelf is already done. This straddles it but transfers all of its vibration into the shelf below the PS.

95F3AD55-6368-4B53-BE2A-9308D6C5C0C5.jpeg

Enjoy your ATCs, I am sure you will for years to come.
Most ATC users just upgrade to bigger ATCs, of course, space and budget permitting. I started with the ATC 20A Pro way back in 1998, then to 100As and now I have the special edition EL 150As.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

On 3/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, Diavolo said:

I decided to go ahead and order the Holo Serene preamp since it measures exceedingly well and although I get by running source direct using Roon or Hqplayer for volume control of the May and this works 90% of the time, but sometimes if I play music via YouTube et al I occasionally forget to adjust master windows volume and application/browser volume down which is necessary to avoid sending too loud of signal to my amp. 

If anyone is interested I'll let you know my thoughts in a few weeks. 

What model of the Holo Serene did you purchase ?  they are beautiful looking preamplifiers and of course a great preamplifier with a select volume control can make a world of difference with playback.
My Sparkos Lab Aires preamplifier uses a 64 step Reed attenuator being very transparent to the source up stream from the dac a well designed preamp can make a big difference most of the time .

I'm going to use a Kinki Studio M1+ as an integrated then using the Kinki as a preamp using my BMC-S1 as the amp. Will be a good comparo.  I've got a few HQ class D amps as well including a Nord MK 2 using the NC500's.

Amp rolling.

What I'm really struggling with is a music server build. I've read the 77 page DIY build report in this forum. So damn much great information it has given me many idea's. Last night while laying awake, I thought perhaps if I could get away with a 12ft long USB cable, I could build a high power music server for the May outside of the audio room I'm having built. May with HQP and certain NAA modes want power. I'm trying to avoid the costs and compromises associated with a fanless server. I'm pretty sure however that a long USB cable is a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Hiker said:

What model of the Holo Serene did you purchase ?  they are beautiful looking preamplifiers and of course a great preamplifier with a select volume control can make a world of difference with playback.
My Sparkos Lab Aires preamplifier uses a 64 step Reed attenuator being very transparent to the source up stream from the dac a well designed preamp can make a big difference most of the time .

I went with KTE version to better match the May KTE.