IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

40 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

In my younger days, I would've asked what you are smoking. Now that I'm older and wiser, I'll ask what you're also drinking with that smoke. 

Did you read about the European heatwaves this summer ?

We are back at 95´°F and more in Paris and elsewhere in France, Bordeaux is facing a wall of smoke and fire, and that's for about several weeks now with some small lows on 77 °F for a day or two ...
IMHO this heat may spurn the loss of civility in conversations ... sometimes for some people at some places, but surely not for my friend hopkins  ;-)

27 minutes ago, Miska said:

It's on the HQPlayer product page. I should add some more stuff there, such as Intona USB isolators.

Loosely related to the discussion above (USB noise measurements) on the Intona Forum the Designer posted measurements of the "7055-C", also some comments as far as comparison the the "7055-B" goes:

https://forum.intona.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11

On top they put out linear 5V through USB (in case you want to power an appropriate 5V USB powered DAC).

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

12 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

Loosely related to the discussion above (USB noise measurements) on the Intona Forum the Designer posted measurements of the "7055-C", also some comments as far as comparison the the "7055-B" goes:

https://forum.intona.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11

On top they put out linear 5V through USB (in case you want to power an appropriate 5V USB powered DAC).

For non-USB powered DACs, 7054 already performs all necessary functionality based on my measurements. Since the USB power is not used for any noise sensitive purposes, so galvanic isolation is main factor there.

I have two 7054's and two 7055-C's so far.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

I have two 7054's and two 7055-C's so far.

I have one 7054 and one 7055-B. But the latter more or less only because all the cabling is on the rear. As far as audio goes I couldn't tell a difference (by ear ☺️ ).

Cool thing is the 7054 still gets used in my desktop system.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

54 minutes ago, Miska said:

Another problem is that running NOS at 44.1 kHz rate gives you severe roll-off in top octave reaching -6 dB at 22.05 kHz. This is result of the sample-and-hold function.

That is correct, but no one hears at 22,kHz, and at high frequencies the speaker (Tweeter) response has much more importance than the slight roll-off you get from a NOS DAC, IMO. You don't need to be an "expert" to know this, all you need to do is listen. 

I did not mean to get into a lengthy discussion, and will stop here. It is all pointless anyway. 

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

That is correct, but no one hears at 22,kHz, and at high frequencies the speaker (Tweeter) response has much more importance than the slight roll-off you get from a NOS DAC, IMO. You don't need to be an "expert" to know this, all you need to do is listen. 

You have things called intermodulation distortion, etc. And any short-term events (transients) will be incorrectly rendered, because most of the time, sampling point at low sampling rate won't coincide with the signal change, but instead somewhere between the samples. For that reason, reconstruction always needs to take multiple samples into account and fit those on the sinc function, to correctly reconstruct any such effect. Otherwise your transient response and level will vary depending on your luck how the sampling point happens to coincide with the transient.

ADC disassembles the signal into data using a sinc function. And then DAC needs to reconstruct it back. NOS DAC running at 44.1 kHz completely fails on this reconstruction.

For me, slight roll-off is certainly less than 0.5 dB. I'd rather have it 0.1 dB or less.

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

I did not mean to get into a lengthy discussion, and will stop here. It is all pointless anyway.

Yeah, it is generic math and not specific to any particular DAC.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

The exact amount of roll-off at 20KHz is less important than where the roll-off starts. -3 dB at 20 KHz may not be particularly audible but -1.5 dB at say 10 or 12 KHz is quite audible. You can look at the roll-off as having a low Q which, since it is occurring over two octaves (according to Stereophile for the May) should be quite audible compared to something that is flat to 20 KHz.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

5 hours ago, Miska said:

You have things called intermodulation distortion, etc. And any short-term events (transients) will be incorrectly rendered, because most of the time, sampling point at low sampling rate won't coincide with the signal change, but instead somewhere between the samples. For that reason, reconstruction always needs to take multiple samples into account and fit those on the sinc function, to correctly reconstruct any such effect. Otherwise your transient response and level will vary depending on your luck how the sampling point happens to coincide with the transient.

ADC disassembles the signal into data using a sinc function. And then DAC needs to reconstruct it back. NOS DAC running at 44.1 kHz completely fails on this reconstruction.

For me, slight roll-off is certainly less than 0.5 dB. I'd rather have it 0.1 dB or less.

Yeah, it is generic math and not specific to any particular DAC.

Oversampling a 44khz recording is not providing more guarantee that you "coincide" with what was the original analog signal. 

The limits of NOS are well known, but once again, you are only looking at one aspect of DAC performance, through this single metric.

Oversampling is your bread-winner, I understand that you would focus on this, but you cannot conclude that a DAC is going to be more "accurate" by only looking at this one aspect.

So yes, it is generic math, not specific to any DAC, but it is not sufficient to evaluate "accuracy". It's as if you evaluated speakers by only looking at a frequency response curve. 

You probably believe that everything else is moot, but you have no math to rely on here, it's only guesswork.

I suggest we stop here. 

28 minutes ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Lol! You don't get to tell @Miska that he does't know what he is talking about and then tell him to stop. He DOES know what he is talking about and it is clear that you do not. It's kind of like a soldier at his first day of training taking on Achilles in a fight to the death.....we all know who is going to lose...

There is more to DACs than sampling theory, only an idiot would deny that. 

45 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes it will, that is mathematical fact. Higher the oversampling rate, closer you get. And it gets more and more feasible for analog low-pass filter to do the rest.

What else?

I'm looking at many factors of the analog output performance. D/A conversion hardware is only part of it, DSP front-end is as important. And the combination defines ultimate performance you can get.

You need to tick all "accurate" boxes, you cannot leave any of the boxes unticked.

I'm not looking at only one aspect. I'm looking at every aspect, and not a single one can left imperfect.

One imperfect aspect can spoil the result.

If speaker frequency response is screwed, the speaker is screwed. It is one of the aspects that must be perfect. Although that is one of the aspects you can try to correct with DSP.

Math and physics are the baseline you build upon.

Well, you didn't...

In the past few years, I've had the chance to exchange frequently (and in depth) with a DAC designer about the many issues that are brought up here. I am not an expert, but the one thing I have taken away from these fascinating exchanges is this: there is no perfect solution in audio - everything is a compromise, every new solution has its limitations and introduces new problems. Yes, its obviously always physics behind. 

Its seems to me that you live in a fantasy world. In this world, an OS DAC is "accurate" :)

Forums are not the right place to have in-depth discussions.  If you really feel the need to reply to this message I'll try to refrain myself from responding again, or perhaps if you are interested we can discuss this by email. Sorry for having derailed this thread.