IGNORED

Article: Allo USBridge Sig Review

On 2/24/2020 at 4:39 PM, bobfa said:

Hi,

I would look at MoOde to see if it does what you want.  I am still using my USBridge on my headphone system.  I like it a lot.  I use the Shanti to feed both the USBridge Sig and my Hugo 2 DAC.  My second one is going to go into a different system that is sill in the needs analysis phase!  (Or mabye wants analysis)

On my Kii Three system I have something different.  There will be something posted soon on that!  A bit more upscale!

bob

Ok thanks, I'll try MoOde.

Do you mean I have to return the USbridge? I'm curious now, is it also more expensive than the USbridge, if so 10x?

19 hours ago, bobfa said:

What I am using on the Kii system is a lot more money.  More later, “I do not want to steal my own thunder.”

Looking forward to read about it.

TBH I think the Kii Control + the digital path isn't influenced (much) by the source (if digital), that's also why I was hesitating to change my streaming. Due to some other reasons, mainly my htpc starting showing his age, I had to come up with a replacement and the USBridge Sig + Shanti should be 1 of the best transports and price is comparable with a  Nuc, so I give it a try, but don't expect it to sound (much) better.

Got the package (bridge + shanti) yesterday, came with Dietpi but didn't like it that much, so I installed MoOde as suggested and must say that works like a charm. Local music or Spotiy just sound very good. Need to do some more in depth listening and will do a comparison with what I had.

For now I'm happy with it and it sounds really good, but the Kii BXT System always sounds awesome :)

4 hours ago, katwax said:

Looking forward to read about it.

TBH I think the Kii Control + the digital path isn't influenced (much) by the source (if digital), that's also why I was hesitating to change my streaming. Due to some other reasons, mainly my htpc starting showing his age, I had to come up with a replacement and the USBridge Sig + Shanti should be 1 of the best transports and price is comparable with a  Nuc, so I give it a try, but don't expect it to sound (much) better.

Got the package (bridge + shanti) yesterday, came with Dietpi but didn't like it that much, so I installed MoOde as suggested and must say that works like a charm. Local music or Spotiy just sound very good. Need to do some more in depth listening and will do a comparison with what I had.

For now I'm happy with it and it sounds really good, but the Kii BXT System always sounds awesome :)

What I have found is that the Kii will tell you exactly how good your digital source is.  They tell you a lot! I agree it is not dramatic. The Allo USBridge Sig is really amazing for the price.  

The Kii Threes also benefit from AC power upgrades.

• 1 month later...

Interesting 'review' of sorts.

It appears that only MoOde was actually used for any length of time. 

I have been living with the AlloUSBridge for quite some time now, 6+ months. I've used it with Ropieee, Volumio, Dietpi, PiCorePlayer and my own build of Arch Linux + RoonBridge. Each one given a far shot at winning me over ie for at least a month. I used my own library, Internet radio, and Qobuz via RoonBridge. I powered it with a linear regulated PS and used direct Ethernet to compare it with the RPi 3+ and RPi 4 also with the same Software end Ethernet connections. 

My system consists of all Audiogd Master components. Master 7 Dac, Master 1 Pre and Master 3 amp combined with Dynaudio speakers. All wire is Duelund.

My results were/are, the USBridge is inferior to both the RPi 3+ and RPi 4 when connected via USB output. I compared USB output only because Allo put so much tech and engineering into the USBridge for superior USB playback. This imo, is the calling card and the strong point of the USBridge, otherwise it is nothing more than a standard RPi3 in terms of all specs according to the RPi manufacturer. 

Each lengthy session of days and weeks produced the same result, a thinner, less full sound. Ultimately the sound was never engaging and always led me to switch back to either RPi 3+ or 4. My thoughts going into buying and using the USBridge was actually biased in favor of the Allo product, being smitten my all the USB tech and thinking/knowing that a superior USB design should/could provide a superior sound. I wanted this to be the case but alas it never came to be.

Currently my Allo USBridge sits alone, powered off in the closet.

6 hours ago, allo.com said:

Hello Dynobot

What LPS are you using ? Do you have any HD drives connected directly to USBridge ?

Hi, Allo

I have two on hand, one iFi USB power micro iUSB 3.0 -and- a LPS which uses an R-core PS [tests pretty stable]

Only thing connected is:

1. Power
  2. USB output
  3. Ethernet cable

I didn't want to have any unnecessary variables contributing to the sound.

Forgot to mention the power components;

Furutech copper outlets

Audiogd HE-350 Regenerative PS

Professional Balanced Transformer

All Power Cords are Duelund

*Only the front end gets regenerated - balanced power [including the Rpi]*

Amp plugged into the wall

Ifi power is rather bad . The LPS  what noise and power rating ?Do you have the make ? I will try to see if I can find any numbers (noise) on it.

Its rather strange that RPI sounds better than USbridge sig , there must be a cause.

My first instinct ,  there is an issue with the power feed . We designed Shanti with USBridge in mind. For example you say that your power is linear regulated, while thats fine generally , Shanti has a massive F capacitance at the output (after regulators) . Linear regulator does not behave best on a dynamic load,

Alternatively , I am aware of the AudioGD hardware . While test results (THD) is not the whole story , this particular brand , tests rather ..bad.  I am saying this , because a few months back I received a report that an AudioGD Dac paired with a Digione Sig was inferior to a rather low hardware (spidif signal) that was tested to have much more jitter on the output.

3 hours ago, allo.com said:

Ifi power is rather bad . The LPS  what noise and power rating ?Do you have the make ? I will try to see if I can find any numbers (noise) on it.

Its rather strange that RPI sounds better than USbridge sig , there must be a cause.

My first instinct ,  there is an issue with the power feed . We designed Shanti with USBridge in mind. For example you say that your power is linear regulated, while thats fine generally , Shanti has a massive F capacitance at the output (after regulators) . Linear regulator does not behave best on a dynamic load,

Alternatively , I am aware of the AudioGD hardware . While test results (THD) is not the whole story , this particular brand , tests rather ..bad.  I am saying this , because a few months back I received a report that an AudioGD Dac paired with a Digione Sig was inferior to a rather low hardware (spidif signal) that was tested to have much more jitter on the output.

Yes I kind of figured that since the USBridge was designed to be superior that it must be my gear that was the issue.

Perhaps when I can afford a better LPS and better audio gear I can give the USBridge another go....

Thank you for the reply.

😊

Here are the specs for the iFi power

ifipower.thumb.png.bf85cf7eeaaae69594374f3cc324322f.png

Ifi power on internal testing under real conditions (the numbers they quote are with isolation transformers) was about 6uV (including mains) from 0-20Khz

However that is differential noise. In addition to differential noise (6uV is good) we have common mode noise and leakage currents noise .  IFI psu , like any SMPS thats not earthed has (rather big) leakage current noise thats ,of course not accounted for .on marketing data .

I do not recommend it .

7 hours ago, allo.com said:

Ifi power on internal testing under real conditions (the numbers they quote are with isolation transformers) was about 6uV (including mains) from 0-20Khz

However that is differential noise. In addition to differential noise (6uV is good) we have common mode noise and leakage currents noise .  IFI psu , like any SMPS thats not earthed has (rather big) leakage current noise thats ,of course not accounted for .on marketing data .

I do not recommend it .

Very interesting

Just so I understand correctly. 

Balanced power still produces "Common Mode Noise"?

You might have missed it, like you missed me posting the model of the iFi product. All of my front end components including the sources are plugged into a Balanced Line Transformer, which in turn receives regenerated clean power from the Audiogd HE-350.

I know that in your opinion Audiogd does not make good products, but from my understanding balanced power resolves common more noise problems.

On 4/21/2020 at 12:49 AM, allo.com said:

Hello Dynobot

What LPS are you using ? Do you have any HD drives connected directly to USBridge ?

Side question

I have the Raspberry Pi compute module with the emmc, is there any way I can flash it using the USBridge or do I have to purchase another product to re-flash the emmc?

4 hours ago, Dynobot said:

Side question

I have the Raspberry Pi compute module with the emmc, is there any way I can flash it using the USBridge or do I have to purchase another product to re-flash the emmc?

Yes, there is a way to do this, you can google it, but you'll need a CM in/out board, like this:

https://www.waveshare.com/compute-module-io-board-plus.htm

Hi Dyna

the link from zackthedog is correct , thats what to use if you want to use a CM with eMMC.

Regarding the power , I briefly spoke about common mode noise , I did not see excessive amount of it on IFI.

Meanwhile  I did focus on "leakage currents" and IF (like all SMPS without protective earth)  has lots . I believe there are other threads on forums where the issue is discussed at lengths . There are even  solutions (some wire on DC Gnd connected to earth)

I think that AudioGD is an acquired taste (generally speaking) . One of my new Dacs (Revolution) has the ability to change harmonics (H2 and H3) amplitude and the perception of sound changes . Looking at most AudioGD tests the harmonics are different that most DACs (and rather very high) and its my opinion (not backed by any scientific data) that it has a particular sound .

Usbridge Sig does output a very clean interface to any DACs and we are seeing a small change in H amplitude as a result .  Maybe its just that a particular preference of sounds changes because of that..

I would try changing the IFI PSU, then try to get any other DAC and check if USbridge Sig brings an improvement .

4 hours ago, allo.com said:

Hi Dyna

the link from zackthedog is correct , thats what to use if you want to use a CM with eMMC.

Regarding the power , I briefly spoke about common mode noise , I did not see excessive amount of it on IFI.

Meanwhile  I did focus on "leakage currents" and IF (like all SMPS without protective earth)  has lots . I believe there are other threads on forums where the issue is discussed at lengths . There are even  solutions (some wire on DC Gnd connected to earth)

I think that AudioGD is an acquired taste (generally speaking) . One of my new Dacs (Revolution) has the ability to change harmonics (H2 and H3) amplitude and the perception of sound changes . Looking at most AudioGD tests the harmonics are different that most DACs (and rather very high) and its my opinion (not backed by any scientific data) that it has a particular sound .

Usbridge Sig does output a very clean interface to any DACs and we are seeing a small change in H amplitude as a result .  Maybe its just that a particular preference of sounds changes because of that..

I would try changing the IFI PSU, then try to get any other DAC and check if USbridge Sig brings an improvement .

Thank you and Zack..  for the great information

• 2 months later...

Having listened to Moode on the Allo USBridge Signature Endpoint for a couple of days I just found it too muddy and syrupy with my Khadas Tone Board. Switching back to Ropieee, brought sparkle and dynamics back to the music. It’s all subjective. What works for one listener won’t work for another. 

3 minutes ago, GrahamJohnMiles said:

Having listened to Moode on the Allo USBridge Signature Endpoint for a couple of days I just found it too muddy and syrupy with my Khadas Tone Board. Switching back to Ropieee, brought sparkle and dynamics back to the music. It’s all subjective. What works for one listener won’t work for another. 

if you are so inclined give Gentooplayer a try.  I have been using since my review as an Squeezelite endpoint for my Roon system.

http://Gentooplayer.com

There is a pretty active thread here on Audiophile Style

I am running Gentooplayer on my Ryzen 7 system right now. it is my Roon core and a Squeezelite endpoint for my Kii Threes.

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

if you are so inclined give Gentooplayer a try.  I have been using since my review as an Squeezelite endpoint for my Roon system.

http://Gentooplayer.com

There is a pretty active thread here on Audiophile Style

I am running Gentooplayer on my Ryzen 7 system right now. it is my Roon core and a Squeezelite endpoint for my Kii Threes.

Thank you. I shall check it out in the morning. 

Listening to Gentoo on the USBridge Sig. and finding it very nice indeed. Seems to be a little more clarity at lower volume, which is what I like in my smaller room. Took about an hour to get set up, the web interface is certainly different to the other OS’s out there so there’s a bit of a mindset change needed for a user. But overall, not an ordeal. Will give it an extended audition. 

1 hour ago, GrahamJohnMiles said:

Listening to Gentoo on the USBridge Sig. and finding it very nice indeed. Seems to be a little more clarity at lower volume, which is what I like in my smaller room. Took about an hour to get set up, the web interface is certainly different to the other OS’s out there so there’s a bit of a mindset change needed for a user. But overall, not an ordeal. Will give it an extended audition. 

That is great!

I am trying to help @antonellocaroli with a couple of guides for setup.  I have found the system to be stable and to sound great.    I use a combo of the web interface and the menu system in an SSH session to the OS.  I tend to use the SSH session.

What playback software are you using?

bob

6 hours ago, bobfa said:

That is great!

I am trying to help @antonellocaroli with a couple of guides for setup.  I have found the system to be stable and to sound great.    I use a combo of the web interface and the menu system in an SSH session to the OS.  I tend to use the SSH session.

What playback software are you using?

bob

Hi Bob

I would love to try GentooPlayer so any guides for linux simpletons such as myself would be greatly appreciated. 👍