IGNORED

Article: Allo USBridge Sig Review

On 11/26/2019 at 11:12 AM, allo.com said:

At last , next time you buy a DAC , please ask the manufacturer if its compatible with Linux on DSD (only DSD has issues on Linux)

Please don't forget there's also some brands that have spotty driver coverage for older gear, and that'll limit things to USB 1 and 24/96, so it's always a good idea to check with the manufacturer before you buy, especially 2nd hand. If you feel like they don't care, feel free to be as mean as you like, there's really no excuse.

2 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Great review!  How did you power the txUSBultra - HDplex?      Does the USB signature have the same timing and clarity you get from the txUSBultra when attached to your server?

The txUSBultra was powered by an LPS-1.2 through the HDPLEX 400 that was powering my server.

The signature has more clarity.  I am not sure what you mean by timing.

Just now, bobfa said:

The txUSBultra was powered by an LPS-1.2 through the HDPLEX 400 that was powering my server.

2 hours ago, henke said:

You are making progress with audio discoveries Bob, honest and nice review, thanks.

Since it beats your custom server how do you think the USBridge compares to Signature Rendu SE Optical?

I have started some comparisons between the devices since I own both. It is hard to do because the Sonore does not always work right with my Kii Control. I cannot swap USB between the Sonore and any other devices without powering off the KI Control off.  I have a second Allo on the way that I will use on my Hugo II to swap back and forth with it as the Hugo II seems to be immune to the Sonore problem I am having.

I have been testing with the Allo DIGIONE Signature  on Coax and the Sonore on USB. This, of course, is not apples to apples. I do not care to elaborate more as of this time.  

I have promised to try to evaluate the DIGIONE Signature.  My issue with that is I do not have something else to compare it with.  My plan then is to swap between inputs on the Kii and on the Hugo II and see if I can observe differenced in common.  It would be nice to have another high caliber streamer with SPDIF output.  

RJF

21 hours ago, clipper said:

use GentooPlayer with the Allo USBridge Signature.  It’s the best sounding OS I have tried on the Allo devices.

Clipper,

I have not tried GentooPlayer.  All of the kernel swapping, etc.  might be a little fussy for me.  I would want a real  starting point.  One set of settings for MPD and one set for Squeezelite.  I will watch for an official release.  

I know that Allo is working on a custom build of MoOde for their hardware which will be interesting.

bob

On 11/26/2019 at 6:41 PM, clipper said:

use GentooPlayer with the Allo USBridge Signature.  It’s the best sounding OS I have tried on the Allo devices.

Clipper,

I have not tried GentooPlayer.  All of the kernel swapping, etc.  might be a little fussy for me.  I would want a real  starting point.  One set of settings for MPD and one set for Squeezelite.  I will watch for an official release.  

I know that Allo is working on a custom build of MoOde for their hardware which will be interesting.

bob

11 hours ago, bobfa said:

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=1929

MoOde 6.4 is out.  UPGRADE, Your ears will thank you.👍🏻❤️👏

Wow, MoOde 6.4 is a pleasant surprise - sounds better, more nuanced and more dynamic. Haven't done an A/B so maybe anticipation bias! But I like it much.

In-place upgrade was completely painless. Thanks MoOde / Tim Curtis.

And thanks Bob for an excellent review. I was about to go down the road of comparing MoOde with Volumio and other player SW. You saved me the hassle and learning curve.

I would say USBridge Sig + Shanti is giving me the best SQ so far from computer music. 

I installed Rigelian on my iPhone and iPad. Lovely app. Thanks Richard Dale

Denis

6 hours ago, dtossan said:

Wow, MoOde 6.4 is a pleasant surprise - sounds better, more nuanced and more dynamic. Haven't done an A/B so maybe anticipation bias! But I like it much.

In-place upgrade was completely painless. Thanks MoOde / Tim Curtis.

And thanks Bob for an excellent review. I was about to go down the road of comparing MoOde with Volumio and other player SW. You saved me the hassle and learning curve.

I would say USBridge Sig + Shanti is giving me the best SQ so far from computer music. 

I installed Rigelian on my iPhone and iPad. Lovely app. Thanks Richard Dale

Denis

I just upgraded to the new Moode and yes, it's quite a change!  The soundstage has shifted back and there's more resolution in the highs.

I'm *really* enjoying my USB Sig/Shanti combo, as a standalone player and with Audirvana.  All the other little gadgets and mini-PCs have been swept into a box for the storage locker. 😉

I must try more on the USB bridge signature. 

Only I use only roon rock on the nuc and the clean Ropieee only with roon on the USB bridge sig. 

It plays amazing beautiful 🎺📯🎸🕺

Is want try now moode or dietpi later of there is a difference. 

I'm coming from my nuc daphile, and Jriver, Audirvana and Roon on windows 10. 

Always is daphile for me the winner in sound and free program.

Now I have try the last 1.6 and new  1.7 roon rock, it bring the difference... that I buy this for lifetime 🥳 it plays so great and musical 🎶 

Only I want not Things that run in the background so as volumio... not more windows ,, only what I want music 🎶 🥳 

Is moode also as Ropieee for roon. 

I want no things on my screen etc... 

Maybe I can try is with my own ears 😃

Only I'm so happy with Ropieee and Roon 🎶 

That I not have make time of there is a difference with other programs! 

4 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

My USBridge sig arrives today - I went for the eMMC version as this frees up the SDcard slot.  I'm wondering if payback direct from SDcard is possible and if it also sound better than a network source.  I look forward to testing!

Does the eMMC version sound any better than the SD card version. Are the any advantages with having the OS run off eMMC?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

5 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

I don't know - but I intend to find out over the weekend!

eMMC should be lower latency as it's located on the Raspberry Pi compute module.

I’m thinking of ordering a Allo Sig as a result of this review, but haven’t decided to go for eMMC version. I read somewhere that Allo had optimised the power supply for the SD card, and I assume they couldn’t do that if the eMMC is on the compute module board. So that may or may not be an issue - if the eMMC is getting the same cleaned power as the rest of the compute module it won’t be. That and as long as you can run off both eMMC or SD card with a different boot setting I think I’ll go for eMMC.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

The eMMC offers slightly smoother sound and faster operating, in my experience, so that's the way I'd go.  And yes, you can transfer files to and read music from the SD card.  It strikes me as being a bit cleaner and mored detailed.  It depends on the quality of the card and on whether the OS allows you to do so, but all the ones I've tried do.  Basically you've got the closest thing to an SD card player you can get. 😉

Okay, hold on.  I do *not* have the eMMC version and assumed the eMMC could be popped on to the RPi board, but it is permanently soldered on.  Which raises the question of how you flash the eMMC to change operating systems.  I've also read that, at least on the standard RPi I/O board, the SD card slot will not work if you're CM has built-in memory.  I don't know the answer to these things, maybe someone here does.  I guess I'd hesitate to get the eMMC version until I knew how this works.  Currently I'm using an eMMC with an SD card adapter.

1 hour ago, allo.com said:

Hi

please note we are not using eMMC on RPI CM. Instead we made a eMMC that plugs into the SD card with an adapter . The advantage is not faster speed ,but we are observing less corruptions happening on the eMMC compared with SD cards.

Interesting, thanks for that

2 hours ago, allo.com said:

Hi

please note we are not using eMMC on RPI CM. Instead we made a eMMC that plugs into the SD card with an adapter . The advantage is not faster speed ,but we are observing less corruptions happening on the eMMC compared with SD cards.

Great, thanks for the clarification!

On 11/28/2019 at 2:01 AM, bobfa said:

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=1929

MoOde 6.4 is out.  UPGRADE, Your ears will thank you.👍🏻❤️👏

I feel like I'm being left behind. Stuck on moOde 5.0 as anything newer uses the 4.19 kernel that causes pops and clicks on my Chord dac. It's all very well saying buy a new dac but mine is a recent purchase and a considerable investment for me. I really hope that this issue can be solved sooner rather than later.

i5 7600 fanless pc running Ubuntu 22.04 and HQPlayer Desktop > Cisco switch > 10Gtek fibre network > Raspberry Pi4 HQPlayerNAA > IFi purifier 3 > SRC-DX > Chord Qutest > Jotunheim 2 preamplifier > Ncore monoblocks > KEF R5 speakers.