IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

Quick initial impressions from some power experiments

Mac Mini (Roon server) -> stock enet -> stock switch -> stock ethernet cable -> EtherRegen -> Startech CAT7 (6") -> NUC i7 running Euphony HQPlayer -> Lush^2 -> LPS 1.2/ISO Regen -> Lush^2 -> Chord DAVE (dedicated 30A circuit, Isolation transformer, etc) -> Voxative 9.87 speakers (4D driver) direct (no amp)

Switched from the stock ER PS to a PowerAdd Pilot2 laptop batter at 12V (no ground wire, single cable to upstream side, single cable to downstream side).  Detail on bass tightened up noticeably, and attacks seem sharper (both pleasant surprises!).  Giving it an extended listen right now, before coming to any conclusion.

Next will be to switch to optical input on the ER to see what that does.   I'll report back when I have more listening time

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

I'll eliminate the switch Alex, but unfortunately my server is literally in my closet (with storage drives, etc) right by my internet router so not easy to move around.  I'll experiment with taking the line from my router to the generic switch directly to ER, and with putting gigabit media converter going from stock switch to ER and router to ER.  May not be until the weekend though.

(v2 upgrade was painless and flawless BTW...thank you for making it so easy to do)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

Curiosity got the best of me.  Quick test with the generic switch out of the path (router direct to ER, only one connection into ER and one connection out) and the difference is basically gone now.  If I do a confirmation bias squint, I maybe hear a VERY slight difference, but if its there, vanishingly small (6 guesses out of 10 difference, vs 8 or 9 guesses out of 10 before) .  Very interesting!

I need to get back to work (alas), so will resist playing with the media converter in the mix.

Alex, was there anything behind your suggestion?  Would be interesting to have a hypothesis on what mechanisms might be at play here.

Haven't heard the Farad yet (although I am sorely tempted to order one to be able to do so), but I can confirm that a SR4 on TT2 and HMS are most definitely worthwhile.  The good news is that the added SQ lift you're going to get with your HMS+TT2 will reveal even more from your other tweaks (ER included).  Amazing how the whole gets to be so much more than the sum of the parts.

Just now, Superdad said:

Great report Ray. And I'd love to hear your unique system sometime!  :D (I don't get down to San Diego very often, though I know it is lovely there.)

You're always welcome Alex!  Please drop a note if you're down this way and we'll host a listening session (and wine tasting session) with the local audio crazies

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Hi Ray-dude,

I've been in a parallel universe here testing Tera Grand Cat 7 flat and and premium cables. In the end, the premium double shielded cable definitely sounds best. Looking at the Dacrown cable you chose above, it has a very similar construction to the Tera Grand premium. The Dacrown is rated higher then the Tera Grand so I am curious to learn whether that matters to SQ. To that end, I've ordered one to test.

Thanks for the update Larry.  Do you happen to have any Supra CAT 8 cables or (shudder) SoTM dCBL-CAT7 cables available to test?  It's all fun and games to experiment blind with cables that set you back a morning latte, but yet another thing to drop $600 on a listening test (that buys a lot of fine wine that we could/should be drinking during a listening test)

Ray

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Hi Ray-dude,

Yes, I have Monoprice, Supra Cat 8, BJC Cat 6a cables and many more. No SOTM gear here as it is too expensive.

These Amazon Cat 7 and 8 cables are nicely made, flexible and light weight. My Supra Cat 8 with JSSG360 shielding approaches the weight, thickness and flexibility of a fire hose filled with water. Tera Grand Premium SQ is better then my Supra 8 for sure. There is even more focus, and therefore deeper blackness between players.

Look for a comparison the Tera Grand Cat 7 and Dacrown Cat 8 next week.

I ordered white cables. Are yours white or black? ;)

I prefer darker backgrounds, so I always lean toward black cables ;)

Thank you for feedback on the Supra and BJC cables, very helpful.  Wonderful to have next day delivery from Amazon on these cables, makes moving through listening tests very quick and painless.  I'll have a listen to the premium Tera Grand later this week (thank you for the pointer)

It so happens that I got my second Cable Matters Cat8 1m cable this evening, so I was able to do a comparison against my first cable (~100 hours of music play on the first cable...I've had it running continuously since the weekend in anticipation of testing to see if burn in does anything with this cable)

There is a clear difference with the cable with hours on it (please don't ask me how or why, I'm still having a hard time admitting to any difference between ethernet cables), with more of the bass impact and precision/detail and sense of space that I was hearing as I went through the various cable tests (the effect is particularly striking with full range orchestral pieces...the lower registers and music hall really are coming into clearer and clearer relief).  That being said, I was hearing a more significant difference between cables of different types, but I'm surprised to hear any impact from burn in at all.

That being said, I wouldn't characterize it as a significant difference.  If you don't care for the Cable Matters vs your Slimrun, I'm not sure if the delta I'm hearing would be enough to tilt a clear preference for a different cable.

Anyway, time to ingest some mushrooms and sacrifice some poor creature to the audio gods and hope a rationale comes to me in a vision (my EE degrees certainly aren't any help in understanding what is going on here).

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, lmitche said:

It still amazes me that cables can make such a big difference, especially on the digital side.

+10000

Maddening to have something this audible without even a working physical theory (cable to optimized NUC to optimized TX Ultra for USB regeneration to DAC...that's a lot of optimization layers between the cable and my ears). Clearly the enhanced shielding of the CAT8 cables is making a difference.  Can the antenna effect to the streamer end point be that significant?

With a second Cable Matters CAT8 on hand, I just had to experiment.  I clipped the shield on one end of the cable, thinking I would prefer the clipped end on the NUC (I power my NUC with a battery for mains isolation).  Alas, another hypothesis shot down.  I preferred the clipped shield end on the ER side (at least so far)

All this reminds me of the random walk search a bunch of folks did with Lush^2 shield configurations.  Those with the Phasure ET^2 are in a much better position to investigate different shield configurations to suss out what may be going on.

5 minutes ago, rickca said:

How did the clipped shield on one end sound compared to not clipping the shield?

Different (subtle) but I can't say (yet) if I'm hearing more real detail or more RF sparkle.  Taking one for the team with marathon listening sessions ("Sorry honey, I need to listen to music for 12 hours to audition this hacked up ethernet cable" ; ) 

Kidding aside, it all sounds absolutely lovely, so motivation for serious A/B critical listening is low, while motivation to binge listen to a bunch of Todd Garfinkle's amazing recordings is quite high (really enjoying "Mudejar" by Begona Olavide as I type this)

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Yup and I should have typed 1310 instead of 1350, as 1350 doesn’t exist.  I was just browsing 1310nm SFPs on Amazon.  I’m tempted to purchase a couple to hear if they sound any better.

https://planetechusa.com/product/mgb-tlx-mini-gbic-lx-module-20km/

Later Emile posted that he thought this might be the same OEM module he has (unconfirmed).  Interestingly, a wide temperature part.

I'm not (yet) setup for fiber ethernet, but looking forward to joining the party soon...

2 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

It still amazes me that there are some who prefer the Startech 1550nm SFPs without attenuators.  I'm not sure if any of those cases they were using an ER.    I could be wrong but I don't believe Emile used attenuators when he tried this Startech SPF in the ER and found it to "perform very poorly".  Could it be that the ER is more sensitive to the ill effects of over saturation than his typical FMCs?  

IIRC, Emile was looking for a lower power SFP for the ER, which is why he tried the OEM 1310nm/20km units that he had on hand (no attenuators for either SFP, IIRC).  Alas, difficult to find power consumption specs for these SFPs (unless someone has access to OEM spec sheets?)

If Emile's hypothesis about power consumption bears out, that would imply more sensitivity related to the power network in the ER than sensitivity to over saturation.  Alas, difficult to confirm without have a bunch of SFPs that draw different amounts of power (and decoupling wavelength, laser power, etc)

4 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi Ray,

Is that improvement using ER with streaming/NAS or playing "local" files?

Did you find ER better with PHL SR4 than LPS 1.2?

Do you think it's due to higher current capacity of SR4?

G

Hi Geoff

My power/cable tests with ER where with Tidal and content from my Mac mini file server.  I have an end point NUC on the B side, and a Roon server NUC on the A side.  All my ER tests were with content going over the moat. 

I did find the ER improved as I went from SMPS to LPS1.2 to PHL SR4.  Very easy to hear in my system.   I have found that the SR4 has bigger impact on my tX-ultra SE, so that is where I usually run it. 

I have a pretty limited stable of power supplies to test, so I can’t be definitive on what factor may be driving things.  I’m looking forward to Rajiv’s findings once he finishes his eval and reports his findings. 

Over on the main ER thread @cat6man asked: (and @superdad appropriately redirected here)

1 hour ago, cat6man said:

what voltage did you run the lps 1.2 at?

fyi------mine is edgerouterX-SFP and comes with a 24v, 2.5A wall wart power supply.

says it support 9v-26v input and has a 5W maximum power consumption.

not sure why a 60W supply is needed for a 5W comsumption, on the other hand we know that oversized power supplies often have benefits due to the ability to provide peaks.

assume i'll run it at 12v to get maximum 12W out of the lps 1.2

I run my LPS 1.2 at 12V for my EdgeRouter 10X.  I don't have any PoE devices on it (unlike the EdgeRouter X, the 10X is passive PoE pass through...the ER X needs the extra voltage for PoE, but doesn't need it to run)

I have not tried different voltages to see if it makes a difference.

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FWIW, I have ATT Fiber -> ATT Lucent ONT -> EdgeRouterX SFP -> opticalModule -> Extreme.

I can very clearly (and happily) hear the Sablon ethernet cable between the ONT and ERX, and between ERX and oM (the later being more impactful).  As I detailed in my long Extreme write up, the EtherRegen moat held back the Extreme, and it worked better when using the EtherRegen as a FMC (optical and copper on the same side, not going across the moat).  In this FMC configuration, I prefered the oM to the EtherRegen.  When I was experimenting with the EtherRegen going across the moat, the impact of the Sablon ethernet was clear as well.

Net net, at least in my chain, the Sablon Ethernet cables made a (still) surprising difference very far from the business end of the signal.  I still don't understand why or how that could be, but empirically, that's what I'm hearing.

To echo Rajiv's note, Mark is incredibly generous with his loaner cables (and it has worked...I have Sablon ethernet cables, USB cables, and power cord now...all had a "first 5 seconds, yup this is the one" impact in my system).

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

How did you deal with the "flexible" cable issue which can impede the freedom of oscillation?

Alas, no good way to do so.  Ideally there are no cables and the component floats freely.  Alas, that is not possible, but any isolation I can get is better than no isolation.

Typically, I try to position cables so that the platform can oscillate more freely.  As I position cables, I give the component a little nudge and see how it responds.  There are no sure fire schemes, but generally, the less strain I can get on the connector for the cable, the freer the movement.

At the end of the day, you do the best you can and try not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...you never know how folks will take a joke, right! Someone posted on another forum that the silver Chord Dave had a brighter sound; the black anodized case sounded darker. OMG--it became an issue. Who wouldathought? 

Full disclosure: I have the silver Dave, as I prefer a "cleaner" sound. 😉

the darker backgrounds of the black DAVE are to die for (right @Doody ?)

Black DAVEs rule, Silver DAVEs drool (sorry not sorry)