IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

2 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

My system is wireless endpoint to ER, to UltraRendu, to DAC.

The UltraRendu is on its own JS-2. I know if I put the ER on the other output of the JS-2, it is not recommended, shared 0v etc. But what if the other JS-2 output was charging an LPS 1.2? And the LPS 1.2 powered the ER? Would this break the shared 0v and be OK?

Yes, the LPS-1.2 breaks the connection.

Try swapping what you power by the LPS-1.2, you may find you like one way batter than the other.

John S.

4 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

John:

I’ll be installing a JS-2 to support both the EtherREGEN and a Roon Nucleus soon. The “A” side of the EtherREGEN has both of these wired in along with a WiFi router (Eero mesh).  

As I understand it, I should connect the ground on the EtherREGEN.  I’ve ordered up a Desco banana jack ground plug adapter and associated cable To plug into an available wall socket. I’m assuming it shouldn’t matter what circuit receptacle I plug this into.

Just checking for any other recommendations on noise mitigation or placement for the EtherREGEN. 

Unfortunately the exact "ground" to use for "BEST" results is not necessarily easy to figure out. The simple answer is any socket connected to safety ground. There MAY be very subtle differences with connecting to grounds from different circuits.   You can certainly try different sockets if you have different circuits near the ER. The best is usually the closest to the ER so you use the shortest ground wire.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Meridimac said:

Season's Greetings!  I expect ER in January to replace a Cisco 2960 in my main setup. My question is about the best way to serve a second, remote system connected by in-wall Cat5e (which can travel through a gigabit Catalyst switch, or not) to a ground-shunted Netgear GS-108 located 125 feet away.

Summary of Qobuz/Tidal/Roon current streaming situation:

Fiber internet provider (Zhone modem) serves Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP (router) wired Cat6 to Intel 7i7BNH NUC running ROCK plus SFP optical fiber to Cisco Catalyst 2960 switch connected by Shunyata Venom ethernet cable to ALLO DigiOne Signature transport which outputs S/PDIF via Blue Jeans cable and SpeakerLink to Meridian DSP5200SE active speakers.

Along with other source electronics, ER will be plugged into a Shunyata power strip with Defender AC filter and Alpha NR 20A mains cable on a dedicated circuit. Roon core NUC and a Meridian 218 endpoint will be on A side (with SFP optical) while ALLO endpoint is on B.

Questions: Include ethernet to remote system on A side, or run from router? Pass through Cisco gigabit switch or use couplers direct to Netgear? Re-purpose 10/100 Cisco 2960 for remote (also ALLO) endpoint after Netgear, which serves TV, Apple TV, DirecTV?

TIA for any suggestions.

You want to keep the ER near the ALLO without any boxes in between. I would probably run the existing optical connection from the Ubiquity router to the optical SFP on the ER. This sounds like it is just swapping the 10/100 2960 for the ER, correct? Is the router near the ER? Is the 125ft cable near the ER?

If the router, ER and 125ft cable all near each other it seems you have several ways to hook this up:

1) ER optical from router, 125 cable from router, gigbit 2960 or Netgear at other end

2) gigabit 2960 from router, 125ft cable from gig 2960, Netgear or 10/100 2960 at other end

3) gigabit 2960 from router, 125ft cable AND optical to ER from gig 2960, Netgear or 10/100 2960 at other end

4) 10/100 2960 from router, ER from 10/100 2960 optical,  125ft cable from router, gig 2960 on other end.

The 10/100 2960 has one gig port and the rest 10/100 so whether you can use it at the end of the 125ft cable depends on if the TV etc can run at 100 or if the NEED gigbit.

Several people have stated that the ER driven by a 2960 sounds better than the ER directly into a router. The SFP port on the 10/100 2960 IS gigabit, so it can talk to the SFP on the ER.

I'm getting a feeling that #4 probably gives you the best over all optimization.

John S.

3 hours ago, Meridimac said:

Hi John. Thanks for the quick reply.

The ER will be close to the Ubiquity router which has one SFP optical for connection to the ER optical. So, yes, I will just swap your switch to replace my existing Cisco model WS-C2960-8TC-L. Because it has 10/100 out, it can't then replace the remote gigabit Netgear serving the AV pieces 125 feet away, but could sit between the Netgear and distant Roon endpoint if you think there would be a benefit. Every item mentioned can connect to ER or the router.

The other Cisco switch Catalyst WS-C2960G-24TC-L serves everything in the house from the router EXCEPT the main audio system which is isolated by the optical connection. This gigabit switch can be bypassed, using couplers, should I want to have the remote audio system directly connected to the A side like I plan for the Roon core NUC and a Meridian 218 endpoint (which is waiting for that company to finally, someday update the firmware).

Do I bypass the Cisco that feeds all kinds of other stuff to keep everything audio on the ER?

BTW, in theory, I could also bypass the Netgear from ER side A using an optical converter directly to the SFP cage in the potentially remote 10/100 Cisco because I bundled fiber in with cat5e everywhere when I built the house, but have never pulled it out from behind the wall plates or spliced it.

Since you are running optical into the ER, it is probably better to just have that connection into the ER and hook other stuff up to the 2960, although if they are near each other you could try it both ways and see what sounds best.

There is no obvious "this will definitely be the best", so it looks like if you really are interested in optimizing the system you are going to have to try some things out and see what sounds best.

John S.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Superdad pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, chungjh said:

I put a heat sink on top of ER and it brought down the temperature significantly--down to just warm.

The ER was designed to run in the range 40C - 60C, so if you have cooled it off so the case is below 40C you will most likely not be getting the best sound it is capable of giving you.

John S.

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, hemflaw said:

Posting here in case anyone else has experienced something similar: 

I got one of the early-ish shipping EtherRegens. Have used with no problem with the original supplies.

Baseline setup: consumer router > in-wall CAT7 to wall jack > bluejeans ethernet cable > ER (factory power brick) dirty side > ER clean side > audioquest Cinnamon ethernet > Antipodes EX > USB > Antipodes P2 reclocker > HDMI > DAC > analog components.....

In the most recent working setup, the ER factory power brick was connected with a Van den Hul MainsStream, connected to a PS Audio P5 regenerator. The Antipodes and other stuff is also connected to the PS Audio P5, all of which shouldn't matter here.

PROBLEM: A month or so ago I got a used Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS1.2. It came with the original wall wart and an up-spec cable ('Ghent GAC4 Gotham JSSG360 DC lead'). As with the ER factory power supply, I connected the LPS 1.2 with a Van den Hul MainsStream, plugged into a PS Audio P5 regenerator.

I did the research and set the voltage to 12. (If this is wrong then I am definitely misreading whatever posts I found in the EtherRegen thread)

Connecting it up, all the lights behave as you'd expect, the LPS goes from red to green. All the lights come on on the EtherRegen, as normal.

I get ethernet link and traffic lights on the EtherRegen clean and dirty side.

But with the new power supply in (and not other changes to the config described above) I simply cannot access (via file sharing, or Roon, or ping) my Antipodes EX. I tried lots of rebooting, re-connecting etc., pain I won't recount here. Throughout the troubleshooting, the power cycle lots on the LPS and the power and ethernet lights on the ER worked as expected, but I got no connectivity.

Troubleshooting performed:
- When I remove the ER entirely and connect ethernet from my in-wall jack direct to the Antipodes EX it works immediately. 
- When I replace the standard ER power supply, the ER lights come on as expected, and I have connectivity within 30 seconds or less.

Any help appreciated ... I can't really go back to the guy I bought it from as the LPS appears to work, but... things aren't working.

You are correct, 12V should be the optimal voltage from LPS-1.2 to ER. 9V should also work, did you try that?

One specific difference is the SMPS that comes with the ER has the negative output connected to the safety ground of the AC mains plug, the LPS-1.2 output is isolated from the safety ground. There is a ground screw on the ER which can be used to connect a safety ground if you have an issue with this. Although if your system does not work AT ALL, and this fixes it then you have some other issue in your system which you might want to track down. (usually related to stuff done on USB which prevents proper ground connection, so the only path is safety ground, which is not necessarily the best thing to do)

To use the ground screw you need a "ground plug" which looks like a regular mains plug, but just has one wire coming out which is connected to the safety ground pin. The end of this wires gets wrapped around the ground screw. Amazon has some without the wire but has a banana jack, you will then need a banana plug to spade wire (Amazon has these under turntable ground wire).

Give this a try and see if this fixes the problem.

John S.

11 minutes ago, Theobetley said:

Can an original ER owner get the new firmware update?

Go to the UpTone website, then go to the Blog section. The top post is about the EtherREGEN and contains a link to the firmware update zip file. The instructions for updating and actual firmware file are in the zip. This is only necessary for ERs delivered in November of 2019.

John S.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Yes, I’m an isoRegen stayer!

Re the use of the js-2 on both macmini & etherRegen - back somewhere is advice from Superdad that isolation is maintained in my case by flipping the etherRegen around, ie modem ethernet into B-side & then A-side thru to dac etc.

I powered both the ER & dac with the 2 js-2 dc outputs (& I used 2x lps1.2s to power uRendu & isoRegen) - I assume this logic applies to your situation ...

The JS-2 is isolated from the safety ground BUT the two outputs share their negative rails. The power to the ER goes into the A side. Thus powering the ER and the DAC from the same JS-2 is defeating the moat of the ER but also the moat of the IsoRegen.

John S.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

For users of double or triple stack of etherregens:

I am master clocking the last etherregen close to te streamer.

have you positive impact from masterclocking also the etherregens upstream?

You have to be careful with doing that. If you are getting the clocks for the different ERs from the same clock box, you may be bypassing the ER moats by doing this. Some clock boxes have fully isolated outputs, but many do not, the grounds of all the outputs are tied together.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, GMG said:

Very interesting John 

can you give an example for those“other types of boxes”

I don't remember any of the names, I don't have them myself but have seen people here using them. They are NOT necessary for proper operation of an ER, but they don't hurt it either.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Abolive said:

Hi guys,

Running the ER through copper for now, but I would like to try fiber. Can I use any SFP said to be Cisco compatible with a Meraki Ms220? I ask this as this model is getting old and the Cisco specs may have changed.

Thanks!

The SFP "compatibility"  is a number burned into a memory in the module. Different manufacturers have different "Manfacturer ID" numbers. A Cisco switch will look for that number, and if it is not a Cisco number, it won't connect.  It has nothing to do with protocols etc. So as long as the module you buy has a "Cisco" number, you are fine. It is probably best to get two modules so you have the same one for the EtherREGEN. It's not required, but if both are the same you don't have to worry about a mismatch.

John S.

53 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but why not get a good cat 8 cable and remove the metal shield from one side?

Of course you are free to do anything you want. Buying a CAT8 and modifying to cut the end to end shield connection can certainly be done.

But just because something says it is CAT8 does not necessarily mean it has really good dielectric, some do , some don't.

John S.