IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

OK, an observation. Using my preferred Vandesail skinny Cat8 patch cables, the system wasn’t happy. I had a similar issue when I tried to use an isolator in my system. I had drop outs and skipping tracks in Roon with the ‘network issues’ warnings. This happened via Tidal and locally stored files. I changed to 24AWG cat5 patch cables for server and streamer and my problems have vanished. 
Setup:

Internet>>
                 A>>EtherREGEN>>B Teac NT-505
Server>>>

Previous switch was  TP Link SG-TL105 powered with an Uptone LPS1 @ 7 volts.

Server is fitted with a JCat net card Femto.

Alex, did you guys do a good amount of testing to confirm that having multiple connections on the "A" side, including one to a wireless access point that I have in my room, should have no effect on the B-side?  I know there is a "moat" and that's one of, if not the, main attributes of the ER.  I just don't know how much these ethernet signals in a switch "contaminate" one another.

I will do some of my own testing but if the answer is yes I can pull one of the switches from my main room.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

Yes, that's what the 12-core per port 'A'-side magnetics are about, and combined with the ultra-low-jitter high-speed isolators and flip-flops you can feel free to load up the 'A'-side ports. I'd be surprised if anyone can hear a difference between a fully-loaded 'A' side versus just one port in use.

Perfect.  I have been listening for a couple hours now with just one of the "A" ports populated.  Tomorrow I will load the rest and report back in the other thread.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Okay, so let's back up and confirm that the 'B'-side of your EtherREGEN is functioning properly (it should be as we test every unit):

Please attach something other than your AL NUC to the 'B'-side port. Your NAS, computer whatever.  Confirm that you can move data across the moat from A>B or B>A. Please refer to page 6 of the User Guide with regards to the meanings of the LEDs on each side (the colors mean different things for A and B sides).

Let us know what is the result.  And you can try power cycling your EtherREGEN as well.

Success!!

Thank you for your replies Alex. Power cycling the EtherREGEN has done the trick, NUC connected to all points now. Have been able to set AL on the NUC to 100Mps.

Does it have any "burn in" period? it is doing an excellent job as it is.

I can hear the improvements now, wider sound stage, the already excellent image is deeper, harmonics are richer and more detailed, subtlety stronger dynamics.

Congratulations on an excellent device.

6 minutes ago, dctom said:

Success!!

Thank you for your replies Alex. Power cycling the EtherREGEN has done the trick, NUC connected to all points now. Have been able to set AL on the NUC to 100Mps.

Does it have any "burn in" period? it is doing an excellent job as it is.

I can hear the improvements now, wider sound stage, the already excellent image is deeper, harmonics are richer and more detailed, subtlety stronger dynamics.

Congratulations on an excellent device.

That's great!  

And yes, everyone reports hearing quite a bit of further improvement over the first 30 hours or so. Some of that is clock warm-up/stability, some may be other things, and some is undoubtedly the ear/brain getting used to and discovering all of what the EtherREGEN reveals. :D

@Superdad

Allow me resubmit my question:

My planned movie streamer is ethernet -> Mac Mini -> MiniDSP U-DIO8 with 8 AES channels.

(HDMI sends he signal to the TV)

First off, ISO Reg + LP-1.2 is to be placed between the Mac Mini and the MiniDSP.

The other improvements I’m considering is your Mac Mini DC Kit + external power supply.

Given the above, will an ER before the Mac improve the overall sound quality?

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

The ER is my first Uptone purchase.  Installation in my simple system went smoothly (inserted an extra patch cable and the ER):  

Computer/Roon  >>  

router (isp-provided)  >>  

in wall cat5e  >>

cat6a cable (Blue Jeans Cable) >>

ER  >>

cat7 cable (Purist Audio Design) >> 

Acoustic Revive RLI-1  (passive filter)  >>

Tambaqui DAC (Roon endpoint)

I used the Quick Start document to get it connected, then checked the User Guide regarding the status lights:  flashing yellow for A side; steady yellow for B side; green for power (that one was intuitive).  Good to go.  Roon saw the DAC (as usual) and music played.  A good start.

Will let it run for a few days before posting my impressions in the listening thread.  New gear always take a while to settle into my system.  Tomorrow will probably try pulling out the Acoustic Revive to see what that does, if anything.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Hi Guy:

Well that is certainly the idea. And since you have both an EtherREGEN and an ISO REGEN on order with us, it won't be long until you get to answer the question for yourself. :)

Fair enough, Alex :)

But the operative word was planned.

I don't have that system in place yet, and your guidance would've helped with designing the topology.

Let me attack it from a different angle: Would going out from the 'A' side to the Mac Min potentially make any difference? Or that's an exercise in futility, and only crossing the moat can make a substantial difference?

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

The interesting thing about the form factor for the ER: they don't like to stay put if any of the cables connecting are heavy/stiff, let alone the power brick is pulling the unit away.  Luckily I've got an extra VPI Brick to place on top of the ER so it stays in place on my rack.  Only real concern is ensuring I've enough surface area exposed to release heat from the ER.  Might need to use some "feet" to elevate them off the surface of the rack.

And thanks Puma Cat.  I wasn't aware of the sensitivity of such clocks.  Will have to monitor the temperature while trying to keep the ER stable. 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

I just received the ER.  In the unit I received, the optical cage is an optical cave...ie there is no connecting SFP mechanism...just a mounting hole.

Help.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

The eR does not come with an SFP module installed.

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s
2 hours ago, thotdoc said:

I just received the ER.  In the unit I received, the optical cage is an optical cave...ie there is no connecting SFP mechanism...just a mounting hole.

Help.

It does not come with SFP module. It was clear all along. I was personally prepared. I had bought this (need to scroll down) for $20 plus shipping

B26EAB71-0DDB-4381-97E1-22C9F50075EC.jpeg

12 minutes ago, MrDerrick said:

The eR does not come with an SFP module installed.

Thank you. I took the cage out of the optical module and put it in the ER.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

That's great!  

And yes, everyone reports hearing quite a bit of further improvement over the first 30 hours or so. Some of that is clock warm-up/stability, some may be other things, and some is undoubtedly the ear/brain getting used to and discovering all of what the EtherREGEN reveals. :D

I have the same problem as dctom  but can’t seem to fix it. I have router to EtherREGEN a side and Ethernet out of b side to an optical module to an optical Rendu. Roon can’t find the Rendu endpoint . If I move the cable from the b side to the a side it does work. I powered on and off several times and clock is internal position. Any thoughts for next steps? Thanks 

2 hours ago, Indydan said:

For Alex or any EtherRegen owners; does the ER have any feet? If so, what material?

Yep, 4 rubbery knobs on the bottom maybe around 1/4 or 3/8 inch high.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, lxgreen said:

I have router to EtherREGEN a side and Ethernet out of b side to an optical module to an optical Rendu. Roon can’t find the Rendu endpoint. If I move the cable from the b side to the a side it does work. I powered on and off several times and clock is internal position. Any thoughts for next steps? Thanks 

@Nenon is correct. The copper port of the opticalModule is Gigabit only, while the 'B'-side port of the EtherREGEN is 100Mbps only.  That is why your connection setup is not working.

It will always be best to have the EtherREGEN as the last device--directly connected to your DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint.  So for opticalRendu users this means running the EtherREGEN B>A, with its 'A'-side SFP/optical directly connected to your opticalRendu.  

As mentioned elsewhere, the main reason we went to the trouble and expense of making the reclocking symmetrical on both sides of the moat was so that users with optical endpoints could "turn it around" and still get top performance.