IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Note that John says nothing about hi res making it easier to do better filtering on both the ADC and DAC ends, while he also says (with no math support, as there cannot be) the filtering in his DACs obviates this advantage.

This is of course, in my estimation, probably the only way (especially on remastered analog or 16/44.1 original material) that Hi-Res might be considered an advantage. But having said that, I don’t think it’s more than a secondary or perhaps a tertiary advantage.

George

5 hours ago, Jud said:

I don't disagree, though *if* the Reiss meta-analysis is correct and training allows people to distinguish more easily, part of our feeling that this is a minor difference may be due to not knowing what to listen for.

But look at DR Database and notice the 24/96 Blu-ray of the 50th Anniversary Edition of Abbey Road is a little more dynamic than the CD. I think something like that is likely to be more important.

But that could just be the difference in remastering. I’ve never heard any of the Beatles digital remasters (never cared for the group), so, I’m just speculating, and you could, of course, be right.

George

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

George

Even many cassette decks had a frequency response to 30kHz including the Nakamichi decks that a friend and  I had back then.

You did however need to use high quality tape such as the TDK MA - Type IV Metal Cassette .

Yes, I confirmed this by measurements at the time.

Regards

Alex

Sorry, Alex, but what I said was that professional analog tape recorders weren’t “maintained” beyond 15 KHz because it couldn’t be done. I have had and used Ampex ATR-102s, Revox high speed B-77s, and Otari MX-5050s. All of them fell-off like a rock above 15 KHz! If they did have any response above 20 KHZ, it was so far down compared to their output level at 15KHz, and at such a low record level, as to be useless.

Not that I don’t believe you, but even using Dolby HX pro to manage self-erasure, I do not see how a cassette deck, creeping along at 1.5 ips, can have any response above 10-12 KHz even at a record level of -20 dB, and not much above 7 KHz at -10B

(which is 0 Vu on a cassette). Even if it did, I don’t see how you could measure something so low in level as the 30 KHz response of a cassette deck! The Nakamichi was a three-headed deck (I owned a 1000), and at the 1.5 ips linear tape speed and the narrowness of the tracks, you can’t even set or maintain azimuth alignment between the record and playback head above 7.5 KHz because, again, there aren’t/weren’t any test tapes that went higher than that. And believe me, even at 7.5 KHz, azimuth adjustment on a cassette deck was 100 times more difficult than on a professional 1/4 inch pro reel-to-reel deck!

George

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

There you go! 30 ips for your Dire Straits master. I figured that’s what it had to be. While innovative record company owner/engineer Emory Cook did build several machines running at 60 ips(!), a 3200 ft, 10.5 inch reel of tape running at that speed would last about 15 minutes, IIRC. Since tape in those days was made of acetate film, it was extremely brittle. At 60 ips, a break would have been truly spectacular, and possibly dangerous to anyone in the same room with the machine!

George

21 hours ago, sandyk said:

George

There are numerous albums available from HDTracks etc.that have obvious HF info well above 22kHz, not just noise.

Regards

Alex

I’m sure there are. The music world has been recording at 24/96 or higher for close to two decades now. 

George

18 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Recording using 24 bit makes sense - releasing the finished product in more than 16 bits makes zero sense, unless you like spending money for the sake of extra bandwidth, and storage.

I did listening tests 30 years ago, which ably demonstrated that 16 bits is way good enough - if 24 bits sounds better, then it's because the particular playback chain has been 'tuned' to work better with that format - and no other reason.

You might be very right there, Frank. In my considerable experience, the way that a recording is captured and processed on it’s way to “market” seems to influence the final SQ a lot more than do either bit-depth or sample rate.

However, I can’t say the same about your second statement. I mean how the heck does one “tune” a system to favor High-Res recordings over say, Redbook?

George

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Hi-Res, and CD are different beasts... the input format is altered, which is changing the nature of what the circuitry sees, has to process. In digital audio that's all that's needed to alter the subjective sound - even on very low end chips, mounted on a PC motherboard, this can make an easily audible difference. Taking a low grade pop track, and upsampling it to hi-res formats, changed the tone of the treble content dramatically, in an experiment I did some years ago. The music content was always identical, but the playback chain was able to produce a less distorted version, with hi-res input.

And unless you had both Redbook and Hi-res of the same material, how could you tell to what to attribute the differences you hear through a DAC? I, on the other hand have DSD masters and the pro software to output the DSD as both 24/96 and Redbook CD format. I can compare both to the master DSD file. I know what the differences are, and through my Yiggy and the Chord HUGO and the Chord Quetest as well as the AudioQuest Cobalt. I can tell you that unless either the Redbook copy or the 24/96 copy of a master sounds significantly better than the other, the individual DACs can’t audibly differentiate between them anymore than I can differentiate between the two copies (Redbook and 24/96) from the DSD master. IOW, a DAC will not optimize a system for Hi-Res. It simply does not work that way in my experience!

George

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Too bad none of those play DSD natively...

That’s largely irrelevant. I often capture in DSD with either my Korg MR-1or my M2000s. Both of those will natively play DSD as well as LPCM, but my point is that when either Redbook or 24/96 conversions are made from these DSD master files, the type of DAC used to play them back does not make the Hi-Res copy sound better while making the Redbook copy sound worse. IOW, the DAC does not optimize a system to favor Hi-Res over standard resolution digital as Fas42 suggests.

George

12 hours ago, fas42 said:

By upsampling CD material to Hi-Res - or going the other way ... that's what I mentioned doing in my previous post, 🙂. Same audio content, different format - I did round trips of conversion to make sure the software did the job well enough so that the nulls lay well below CD resolution - nothing was added, or taken away, that could be audible.

That still doesn’t show that the choice of a DAC will “optimize” one’s system for Hi-Res over standard a resolution digital. If one finds that Hi-Res sounds better than standard res, it’s simply because the Hi-Res recording is better, not because some DAC is optimized to make Hi-Res sound better.

George

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

It appears you're still not following, George - I take a 'low res' recording, say CD or MP3. and upsample to some Hi-Res format - not one iota, one shred of extra, meaningful information has been added to the track - yet, it sounds better than the original file I started with ... I have organised the audio data so that it's now in a form which better suits the playback chain - the DAC area is the key link where this change in audible behaviour is occurring.

yes, of course, I do the same thing. I have a fine up-sampler that will take standard resolution audio and up-convert it to 24/96 on the fly. It is a permanent part of my playback system. But that has nothing whatsoever to do with my assertion; to whit:   A DAC will not optimize a system for high-resolution playback. The DAC will play what it’s given. If the Hi-Res version of a particular recording sounds better than the Redbook version of that same recording, then it will sound the better of the two. But if the Redbook sounds better than the Hi-Res version of the same performance, the DAC won’t (and can’t) change that. It is what it is.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

So, if I'm into Hi-Res I will carefully pick a playback chain which makes the most of this format; if I have a huge collection of CDs, I will acquire a CD player which has had all the effort put into optimising the electronics in it for recovering 16 bit sound - I pick the right 'vehicle' for making the journey, 🙂.

And I say there’s no such thing. Almost any 24-bit DAC will do a better job of resolving a 16-bit/44.1 KHz CD than will any 16-bit only DAC. 

George

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

"On the fly" doesn't count. If circuitry is working to do the upsampling while you listen, all bets are off - because, the bits of circuitry doing that particular processing are part of the playback chain - as you say. I don't distinguish digital 'parts' from analogue, as a special case, if I'm concerned with some type of interference effect. So, upsampling, etc, is a totally offline activity - I have two tracks set up on some media, ready to play, of each format

The DAC is a hybrid circuit - how it behaves can vary depending upon, well, everything. If the designer of the circuitry made sure that the SQ was better for a particular type of input - then that's what at least some people should hear.

Technically, the 24 bit may be 'better' than the 16 bit - soundwise, the converse could be true.

None of that alters the fact that your assertion that a DAC can “optimize” a system for hi-res is both wrong and more than a little absurd, Frank. In this case, you simply don’t know what you are talking about.

George

18 hours ago, jabbr said:

No. First of all I think that the wavelet model that @Miska mentioned more closely responds to the cochlea that the FFT model. I'm not convinced one way or another but erring on the side of caution prefer music in as high a resolution as was recorded/available. Also design equipment to handle above 20kHz ... that isn't difficult ... high-res audio isn't gigaHz. Really I'm just saying that CD Redbook is an assumption.

I have been capturing in DSD for over a decade, now, for that very reason. I rarely listen in DSD except on my computer. Ironically, except for my Oppo 205 (the analog output of which is not connected to my amplifier), my main system’s DACs do not support it. No biggie though; If I make copies for anyone (usually the group members, or the orchestra association for the use of the conductor as a “study CD”), I give them Redbook transfers from the master. I also make hi-res LPCM transfers for myself (or my clients, if they wish) which I copy to my NAS for listening on my main system.

George